Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fred Claus - 27/11/2007 12:35:51 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
bollocks - 27/11/2007 12:35:51 PM   
AboyNamedSue

Sorry, but that is far too harsh. Was good fun.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
bollocks - 27/11/2007 12:35:54 PM   
AboyNamedSue

Sorry, but that is far too harsh. Was good fun.

Post #: 3
RE: Fred Claus - 27/11/2007 2:49:49 PM   
UTB

How about having a review from a child for these sort of films?

After all, it is they that the film is aimed at, and I dont think they are too bothered about Vaughn's "air of disconnected irony"...

Post #: 4
RE: Fred Claus - 27/11/2007 3:43:27 PM   
DanCurley

Them being aimed at children is no excuse for them being rubbish for adults. The Toy Story films and Mario games don't say "Well they're for kids so we only have to please them", they go for all out excellence to bring cheer to the faces of young and old.

Also, you are aware it takes a certain degree of skill and craft experience to write proper reviews well? You can't just lob it on some 7 year old (well you can but it'd be a godforsaken endeavour trying to sub it and even read the final copy).

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 5
RE: Fred Claus - 28/11/2007 10:40:25 PM   
Charliebois

Some funny cameos and a good joke involving Kevin Spacey's appearance in another film do not make up for recycled Elf gags and Rachel Weisz dodgy cockney accent.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 6
So-so - 2/12/2007 4:14:55 PM   
Davechoc

It's not an unwatchable film by any means but it is a bit uneven and doesn't quite catch the child or adult market very well. Kids will probably love the look of it (the North Pole is rather enchanting) and may gloss over the many plot holes - no attempt is ever really made to explain how Father Christmas actually delivers billions of presents, or how to get in homes without chimneys, or really why Fred looks younger than his younger brother (surely he was looking older than Nick when the latter became a saint and stopped ageing and should therefore look even older than him...?). Even films such as Santa Claus: the Movie at least came up with explanations for such things.
It probably wouldn't matter if it was firmly a kids' film but it clearly has an eye on the adult market too, with its pop-culture stylings, cynicism, the therapy session with the Claus family, and that odd scene at Siblings Anonymous. This last scene could've been great, but it is too knowing, too long and not terribly funny, and I imagine perplexed and bored most kids watching it. Similarly the plot structure offers little that's new: there's the obligatory romance(s); a bit of slapstick; a funky dance sequence without predictably ends in disaster etc.
The most interesting thread - the rather philosophical idea of what constitutes a bad person (or in this case a naughty child), and how much it is their fault or that of their environment and upbringing - is not really explored enough, and even by the end it doesn't seem as if Fred has really gained his parents' approval (and apologies for their doting on Nick more as a child) in the way that would be more fitting for a film of this sort.
Finally it seemed a little odd that the main elf characters were played by ordinary-sized actors. There were many dwarfs (not quite sure of the PC term here) in the supporting cast, so why use digitally-altered actors for the leading elf roles? Were there not any good dwarf actors? It seems odd considering the visual effects needed to shrink the actors (John Michael Higgins etc) are consistently a little dodgy to say the least.

Having said that I thought Spacey was quite good, and felt genuinely moved at his big change-of-heart moment.

< Message edited by Davechoc -- 2/12/2007 4:17:27 PM >

Post #: 7
BullSHIT - 6/12/2007 12:29:11 AM   
wooz

Fuck, man. The number of actually touching moments is extraordinary, considering that it's a big, fat Christmas cash-in. Just about no product placement, no self-congratulatory USA spirit... It slips up OFTEN, but it's message is sincerely positive, as opposed to just the regular festive ignorance.

Post #: 8
RE: Fred Claus - 10/12/2007 11:01:51 AM   
Timon

No where near as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

A nice little festive film with decent turns from Giametti and Spacey. Suprisingly touching in places but there was the odd element - Weisz's accent for one and Elizabeth Banks being criminally underused.

Loved the Sibling Annoymous meeting though. And Spacey's change of heart. Bless

3 stars

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to wooz)
Post #: 9
- 19/12/2007 4:17:37 AM   
lynnshep

Squanders a great premise and a great cast. Boring.

Post #: 10
- 19/12/2007 4:17:40 AM   
lynnshep

Squanders a great premise and a great cast. Boring.

Post #: 11
RE: - 29/12/2007 2:57:00 PM   
lympo

I think this film was made for appearing on bbc one in five years to be on during christmas day afternoon,where the viewers can dip in and out of it whilst opening their crackers.its a light hearted easy film.with sexy spacey in it.

If you read this,you are stupid.

(in reply to lynnshep)
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 30/12/2007 1:13:28 PM   
Ooosh

The film is okay, i agree with Lympo as it will be shown every christmas along with other festive films like The Santa Clause and Santa Claus The Movie.

Its abit of a waste of the great cast and good concept.

But im sure the kids liked it

(in reply to lympo)
Post #: 13
A Hit, Funny And Brilliant. - 23/11/2008 9:36:42 AM   
joanna likes films

Okay, you might think I am a outcast for saying this but it's a hit at home. My mum, my sister and even myself enjoyed this movie though a lot of people hated it. At first, I was going to hate it because of all the negative reviews but when I saw it last night my mind changed. It's funny, qutie moving and romantic in places. I couldn't believe so many famous faces were in this, the rejected brothers of famous people, Rachel Weiz, Kathy Bates, Miranda Richienson and even Kevin Spacey! Vince Vauhan and Paul Giamatti were very good as Fred and Nicloas Claus, both showing comdey and affecting moments. There is also a meaning as well and a feel-good ending, I really enjoyed it. A big four stars, ho, ho, ho!

Post #: 14
Underrated - 6/12/2011 10:55:53 AM   
Caster

I avoided this at first but actually its one of the better xmas movies of recent memory.

Post #: 15
Fred Applause - 12/11/2013 7:51:20 PM   
Jack Ryan

Whilst it's hard to disagree with Empire that the cast are looking for a pay day, there is genuine heart in this Christmas tale. Other elements of Empires review are baffling: The role is taylor made for Vaughan. As for the "over-complicated script" - it's a story about sibling rivalry in the north pole - seriously, a monkey could figure it out. It's far from perfect; every Christmas cliche is packed in (bluesy Xmas songs a plenty), and in a cast so talented there's bound to be casualties, it's Rachel Weiz's girlfriend and Jeffery Dean Morgans bit on the side that are hugely under-written and under-whelmed. If for nothing else though, watch it just to see Giamatti and Spacey having an absolute ball.

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Fred Claus Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI