Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 25/11/2007 11:00:48 PM   
oddzag

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: oddzag

I dont feel christmassy

It's still only November!

Exactly!

Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 31
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 25/11/2007 11:34:23 PM   
Rgirvan44

I felt it this weekend after watching the film Beautiful Girls - while not a Christmas film it is set in a snow bound town and has that cosy warm hearted feeling.

But really the time it really does feel like Christmas for me is when I buy big Radio Times. Only time I ever buy it, hardly even watch TV over the holidays, but there is something about it that evokes memories of being a kid and being excited by all the cartoons and movies that would be coming on.

Also - when a radio station plays Fairytale of New York.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to oddzag)
Post #: 32
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 26/11/2007 12:16:11 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

quote:

I dont feel christmassy

It's still only November!

Exactly!

As the thread-starter, and in my defence, I don't feel super-let's-get-out-the-decs-and-sing-around-a-blazing-fire Christmassy. Just, you know, felt a little Christmas flutter when I saw the ad. When December rolls around I'll feel legitimately Christmassy.

Watched The Nightmare Before Christmas today, it being halfway between Halloween and Christmas, it seemed the right day to watch it. I think Bad Santa is next on the acceptable Christmas film list, as it's fairly removed from the cosy Christmas films - you wouldn't want to watch it on Christmas Eve, for instance.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to oddzag)
Post #: 33
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 26/11/2007 9:05:46 PM   
Funkyrae

I didn't state that it was only November as a hurtful comment Homer, just that it's no wonder Oddzag isn't feeling Christmassy as it is only November still and there is more than enough time to start the Christmas countdown.  Sorry if it came across that way.

As for Bad Santa, I'm in full agreement with you, but then I could watch Billy Bob any day of the year and be happy!

That's me that is!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 34
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 26/11/2007 10:15:07 PM   
Dragonfall 5

I heard Slade over the loudspeakers in a shop on Sunday.  Tis definately a sign

++++++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR ++++++

Please reinstall the universe and reboot

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 35
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 27/11/2007 9:36:14 AM   
mattchoman

Have to agree with that Coke ad, even though in priciple it should be so wrong!

My true Christmassy feelings start when I get an advent calendar, I can't have a year without one. Popping the cheap chocolate out of those plastic moulds takes me back to the excitement of being a kid like nothing else! And it obviously helps you actually count down

"I have no strong feelings one way or the other."

(in reply to Dragonfall 5)
Post #: 36
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 27/11/2007 10:04:04 AM   
theram05

The An Post Walking in the Air ad comes on, all Irish folk will know it....!

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to mattchoman)
Post #: 37
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 27/11/2007 12:27:03 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattchoman

My true Christmassy feelings start when I get an advent calendar, I can't have a year without one. Popping the cheap chocolate out of those plastic moulds takes me back to the excitement of being a kid like nothing else! And it obviously helps you actually count down

Pah, we've got a big wooden beast of an Advent Calendar with little wooden doors to little cupboards that are just big enough to hold two Cadbury Heroes - one for each of my children. The doors all go round the edge of a Nativity Scene - still one of the Christmas stories, I hear. Dead posh, eh?
I don't get these 'Countdown Calendars' that go right up to New Years either - kinda missing the point of Christmas, and just there to get 6 more chocolates.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to mattchoman)
Post #: 38
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 27/11/2007 12:37:58 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattchoman

Pah, we've got a big wooden beast of an Advent Calendar with little wooden doors to little cupboards that are just big enough to hold two Cadbury Heroes - one for each of my children. The doors all go round the edge of a Nativity Scene - still one of the Christmas stories, I hear. Dead posh, eh?
I don't get these 'Countdown Calendars' that go right up to New Years either - kinda missing the point of Christmas, and just there to get 6 more chocolates.

La-de-fucking-da, I'm sure!

Hey, you only live up the road from me, I could steal this from you. Ruin Christmas for all!

I keep getting waves of Christmassy-feelings; when the shops are playing Christmas songs, and there's wrapping paper on sale everywhere, the lights are going on in the high streets (I think Cardiff's are in the running for Shittest High Street Lights, personally), the Christmas Coke ad is on, Starbucks have Gingerbread Latte (Mmmmm, Gingerbread Latte ) in the red cups, I've done 90% of my Christmas present shopping...

...And then I remember it's still November, Christmas is still a month away, I don't have an advent calender yet and we don't have a Christmas Tree. Then I feel like I shouldn't be feeling this Christmassy already, so I try and calm myself down! I'll be able to legitimately get really excited when it's the last two weeks before Crimbo, I'm planning the traditional Annual Christmas Eve Piss-Up in Chepstow, our tree's up and I've got my presents wrapped up under neath. Then I'll let myself feel properly Christmassy.

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

Post #: 39
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 27/11/2007 12:54:24 PM   
Deviation

I only feel Christmassy when I recieve presents on the 25th after a long drunk night out.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Shaunette_ofthe_Dead)
Post #: 40
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 1/12/2007 7:59:15 AM   
Hobbitonlass

NOW I'm starting to feel Christmassy because it is December     The dilemma now is do I put the decs up this weekend or next weekend.  Normally it is the first weekend in December but wonder if it is too early this weekend.  I don't have a real tree so that's not a problem 

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 41
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 1/12/2007 8:06:20 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Too early for decs. We usually put them up a fortnight before Christmas. Or rather, we usually say we'll put them up a fortnight before, but end up putting them up three weeks before!

Still, now is the appropriate time of year to watch Bad Santa...!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 42
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 1/12/2007 8:20:21 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Well it is Christmas Day, 3 weeks on Tuesday so maybe not that early?  I have a feeling I'm gonna give in and put them up tomorrow 

There's nothing nicer (imo) than watching TV with just the Christmas Tree lights in the background (can't do twinkling lights though, that would bug me)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 43
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 1/12/2007 12:41:00 PM   
Zao

Ah, the first of December- now I can start to feel Christmassy without fear of buying into early Christmas shop hype. I can also eat my first mince pie of the year- a treat I've been saving until December. Plus-'Elf' is on T.V. on Sunday- let the good times roll!

"I have to go. But if I find one single dog hair when I get back, I'll rub...sand...in your dead little eyes."

My humble, sweary movie blog

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 44
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 1/12/2007 11:48:31 PM   
pixiedevil_pop

Now the first little window on my advent calander is open...I'm starting to feel little pangs of excitement...hehehe

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

(in reply to Zao)
Post #: 45
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 2:43:42 AM   
markdavies

Holidays are coming, holidays are coming, holidays are coming, holidays are coming. 

Didn`t they change it last year, but brought the original back this year?

Anyway, the minute I hear Lieutenant Kijje, thats it for me. 

He made me look ridiculous,
And a man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous

(in reply to pixiedevil_pop)
Post #: 46
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 3:31:59 AM   
Hood_Man

Me and my flatmates decorated the kitchen/lounge in our student flat today 

(in reply to markdavies)
Post #: 47
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 8:35:06 AM   
pixiedevil_pop

now that the second door on my advent calander is open......heh heh! Nah, actaully started wrapping presents now, and most of the neighbours have started decorating their houses. Ours always looks pathetic in comparision. I can't get past spending money on lights of 'outside'. I decorate the living room window which always looks nice, but next door has a massive train on the side of the house, and lights draped under the windows. - Bah humbug!

Markdavies, they did change the advert last year, and it was rubbish - plus the santa they used looked freaky!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 48
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 9:23:47 AM   
Samuelpoet

Yeah it's definately Christmas, and at this time of year you tend to notice the more sentimental things and also what you value the most in life, or at least I do anyway. I think your values definately do rise to the surface and you also tend to notice the cozy couples christmas shopping more too... and yeah this time of year, being single kinda hurts...  okay perhaps a little too sentimental.

Other things you tend to notice are the amazing window displays like the one in Fenwicks Newcastle, also saw yesterday the Christmas tree at Central station and heard the lovely brass band and quoir too.... now thats what its all about, but one thing that it aint about are the many many many gormless christmas shoppers walking in there droves crashing into you, cos they aren't looking where they're going... other than that the Christmas lead up is near perfection, I'm definately loving the atmosphere and feeling more christmassy now, than I have done in a long time.

< Message edited by Samuelpoet -- 2/12/2007 9:24:31 AM >

Post #: 49
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 9:37:49 AM   
JV

Ha Sammyboy, you must have been in the same places as me yesterday.  I was at Central Station but before the choir were up & running (they were setting up when I was there) and as for Fenwick's window... Not a favourite of mine but I pass it several times a week.

Anyway let's not forget the Christmas/continental markets which are up & running in most major cities now. I think they're lovely to walk round but hardly ever buy anything from them - there's a fruit & veg stall that sells clementines at about 3 times the supermarket price! - but there are vendors selling crepes and all sorts so it's worth a wander.

What really make me feel Christmassy though as the Christmas lights in Newcastle. I just love them. They are quite beautiful. Once they are switched on I know Christmas isn't far away, and they didn't turn them on till 22nd November so it's not as if they've been on for months.

Anyway SamP I am going to the Quayside with Loxley today so we will keep an eye out for you in the usual spot.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to Samuelpoet)
Post #: 50
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 10:43:57 AM   
pixiedevil_pop

urgh....come visit Newport. Same decorations for the last ** years, a twig for a tree and hardly any shops. Wish they would hurry up and finish all the development. Going into the city centre depresses me  Now, Cardiff....it's lovely! Plus the winter wonderland with ice skating it's so cool! I can't wait to go shopping there with my mates (child free for all of us) on the 15th. I may even get some ice skates on - never done that before hehe!

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 51
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 4:30:30 PM   
Samuelpoet

Hoping to be in Newport to see family in a week or so ... so I will see the disasterous decs, if indeed there are any to be seen... 

Post #: 52
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 5:04:35 PM   
pixiedevil_pop

Be prepared to be blown away....

(in reply to Samuelpoet)
Post #: 53
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 5:11:21 PM   
Samuelpoet

what by some newport santa dressed maniac weilding a shotgun? 

Post #: 54
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 5:33:13 PM   
Chojin

alright, december av is in!

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to oddzag)
Post #: 55
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 6:30:05 PM   
princessa

...when it's early December.  That's when i start to feel Christmassy.  Why?  Only three more weeks and then i don't have to go back to work until January 2nd - hurrah!!!!!!  I can't wait for the time off work...my last day is Wednesday December 19th - bliss...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

alright, december av is in!

Chojin - just looked at your website...is that you in your Avatar?  If so you are beautiful...

< Message edited by princessa -- 2/12/2007 6:32:18 PM >

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 56
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 8:08:33 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

I totally agree about the advert.... I like the fact they've returned the trucks but why not stick with the old one rather than create a new one?

That scary Santa one is still showing though

I wrapped my pressies before (well some of them) and got exhausted and angry at the sellotape... HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 57
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 8:23:45 PM   
pixiedevil_pop

Yep, caught the advert earlier too. My son looked a little nervous and hid behind a pillow and wouldn't come out until I assured him the 'scary santa' was gone from the screen....true story!

Yep, blow away by a machine gun, failing that a gust of wind.

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 58
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 9:22:37 PM   
pettsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pixiedevil_pop

Nah, actaully started wrapping presents now, and most of the neighbours have started decorating their houses. Ours always looks pathetic in comparision. I can't get past spending money on lights of 'outside'. I decorate the living room window which always looks nice, but next door has a massive train on the side of the house, and lights draped under the windows. - Bah humbug!

I have to say I'm not a fan of "outside" decorations.  I think in the main they just look tacky.  Especially if they flash.

There's a street near me where the whole set of houses have these really OTT decorations, and its even in the deeds that you have to decorate your house!  The previous owners leave the decs behind.  They do raise money for charidee doing it though.

Post #: 59
RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... - 2/12/2007 10:22:05 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: pixiedevil_pop

urgh....come visit Newport. Same decorations for the last ** years, a twig for a tree and hardly any shops. Wish they would hurry up and finish all the development. Going into the city centre depresses me  Now, Cardiff....it's lovely! Plus the winter wonderland with ice skating it's so cool! I can't wait to go shopping there with my mates (child free for all of us) on the 15th. I may even get some ice skates on - never done that before hehe!

Cardiff does the lights so well, the Winter Wonderland is amazing, still not been on the Cardiff Eye yet, but I will.  The skating is brilliant, just hope for your sake that the weather is with you, if it's raining they close the rink.

That's me that is!

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: You Know You Can Feel Christmassy When... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI