Pulp Fiction

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Pulp Fiction Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pulp Fiction - 24/11/2007 5:50:01 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I love this film. Everything about it is perfect. The actors, Travolta, Thurman, Jacko, Roth and even Tarantino himself are great. The dialogue is ridden with brilliant quoteable lines like the bible passage. The direction is also superb. But my favourite thing of all is the music. I mean come on. Misrlou as the main theme is great but then you've got "Teenage Wedding" "Son Of A Preacher Man". Tarantino uses music so well in his films. Post your prasie or your dislike of your film on this thread if you havent seen it yet

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 19/11/2008 9:48:23 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 1
RE: Pulp Fiction - 24/11/2007 8:00:57 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

This is the second greatest movie ever made, and I agree with everything you said, and would also like to add that the cinematography (or lack of) greatly enhances the pulp influence prevalent in the film.

I found it funny when I made this connection, as it says pulp fiction is "characteristically printed on rough, unfinished paper". Well, this film was filmed on an out of focus, disinterested camera. lol. But don't get me wrong. The rough cinematography is a huge asset to the film, and without it, the film would be less enjoyable.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 2
RE: Pulp Fiction - 24/11/2007 10:32:18 AM   
Dantes Inferno

One of the things I like about is how real the atmosphere is. For example, after Marsellus wakes up after the car crash, he sees Bruce Willis and there's a zoom-in on his face. Had it been a more standard film, it would be some kind of omnious sound to signal that he is angry, but there is none.

My favorite scene is probably the pawnshop sequence. Yes, it's disgusting, but the set design, the music, the weapon selection, the payoff, everything's great. It's such a grim place. Come to think off it, the pawnshop scene is like the ear-cutting scene of Pulp Fiction.

Great film.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 3
RE: Pulp Fiction - 25/11/2007 3:42:48 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

You've got a point. All of Tarantino's movies has it's bloody, gruesome highlight, Resivour Dogs has the ear-cutting, Kill Bill Vol 1 has the Showdown at The Blue Leaves and Pulp Fiction has the basement scene.

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 4
RE: Pulp Fiction - 25/11/2007 3:53:14 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

And Death Proof has that awesome car crash in the middle of the film.

Not too sure about Jackie Brown though. The part where Louis shoots Melanie is probably a highlight, but it's not as big and obvious as the other Tarantino films.

Post #: 5
RE: Pulp Fiction - 25/11/2007 3:57:06 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Still havent seen Death Proof But you're right about Jackie Brown. There arent many standout moments

Post #: 6
RE: Pulp Fiction - 25/11/2007 4:10:21 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

True about Jackie Brown: no one scene stands out on its own, but you can't really say that that's a bad thing, as the whole film is on a high from start to finish. Immensely enjoyable, mind.

Post #: 7
RE: Pulp Fiction - 25/11/2007 12:04:52 PM   
darth silas

I love Pulp fiction.Amazingly,i have never gotten round to geting the DVD.Must rectify that soon.I have had the deluxe soundtract for ages though,its probably one of my most played CD's.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

Post #: 8
RE: Pulp Fiction - 26/11/2007 2:24:58 PM   
shool

Yup love pulp fiction. Fantastic script and banter between Jules and Vincent is my favourite aspect.

Great cast, great performances, top soundtrack,

Out and out classic.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 9
RE: Pulp Fiction - 26/11/2007 2:57:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

One of the best screenplays ever. Its one of those films where if you happen to catch it on cable you will watch it to the very end.

Its the little moments I love, like when the woman who is trying to help Bruce Willis after the crash gets shot in the leg for her troubles - for some reason it makes me laugh.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 10
RE: Pulp Fiction - 8/11/2008 2:22:48 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I recently bought the Pulp Fiction script in book form. I've read it about 3 times over

Post #: 11
RE: Pulp Fiction - 8/11/2008 2:13:16 PM   
kingalan

It's impossible for me to name an all time favourite film and I always avoid such decisions, but I've always said that gun to my head Pulp Fiction is the first thing that comes to mind. It's an absolutely perfect film with arguably one of the greatest screenplays of all time.

Post #: 12
RE: Pulp Fiction - 8/11/2008 2:23:37 PM   
Olaf

Brilliant movie, always in my top ten favourites. Though everyone knows "Misirlou" was the main theme... 

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 13
RE: Pulp Fiction - 8/11/2008 3:57:47 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Strangely I would go for the adrenaline injection scene as the most cringe-worthy. It had people running out of the cinema hall when I saw it. Must be a lot of people out there who hate big, dirty junkie-owned needles ?
This so far is Quentin's masterpiece (R Dogs a close second) but he may surprise us yet. I think the carcrash is my favourite in movie history.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14
RE: Pulp Fiction - 8/11/2008 5:00:33 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

Strangely I would go for the adrenaline injection scene as the most cringe-worthy. It had people running out of the cinema hall when I saw it. Must be a lot of people out there who hate big, dirty junkie-owned needles ?
This so far is Quentin's masterpiece (R Dogs a close second) but he may surprise us yet. I think the carcrash is my favourite in movie history.

Yep it is his best so far as for cringe-worthy,Mr Walken telling the tale of how he returned Bruces fathers watch during the Vietnam war.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 15
RE: Pulp Fiction - 15/11/2008 6:32:01 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

Yep it is his best so far as for cringe-worthy,Mr Walken telling the tale of how he returned Bruces fathers watch during the Vietnam war.

Christ, I forgot about that scene. What a blackly funny little story that is. Walken does it so dead pan -nice! Samuel L Jackson's best movie by far also. I think he's played the same character in every movie since?

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 16
RE: Pulp Fiction - 19/11/2008 9:50:29 AM   
Chris66

Just saw this for the first time yesterday and I thought it was very good. I think what makes this film great are the characters because they are so funny and unique. Some good performances from Travolta, Jackson, Willis, Rhames, Walken, Keitel and Tarantino. I guess I will look at some of Tarantino's other films now. Hopefully I will enjoy this film on further viewings.

"I don't remember askin' you a Goddamn thing! You were saying?"  

"We just wanted to say we're a big fan of your work. When it comes to killing Nazis... I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro... '"

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 17
RE: Pulp Fiction - 21/11/2008 1:15:38 AM   
Jackal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle
Not too sure about Jackie Brown though. The part where Louis shoots Melanie is probably a highlight, but it's not as big and obvious as the other Tarantino films.

Will have to disagree there. I think it's just less hyped than the others but it doesn't make it any less good. I watched some of it again last night on Film4, I think it is. Forgot how good it was. I'll really need to get it on DVD. Pam Grier is immense in it.

Anyway, Pulp Fiction...

One of my all-time favourites. It's just so bloody watchable. The diner scene is a particular high-point and I love Walken's cameo. I'm away to watch this now.

< Message edited by Jackal -- 21/11/2008 1:18:19 AM >

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

Post #: 18
RE: Pulp Fiction - 18/2/2009 6:40:33 PM   
MathewRed

Does anyone actully have a bad thing to say about this film? Is there one?

Some of the most quotable dialouge ever written and some great on-screen banter. Perfect acting all round, especially Ving Rhames.

We're as similar as two dissimilar things in a pod

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 19
RE: Pulp Fiction - 19/2/2009 9:02:52 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Great, great film. Would make my top 20.
"They speak English in what?"

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to MathewRed)
Post #: 20
RE: Pulp Fiction - 19/2/2009 9:15:59 PM   
steflon

definitely a top 20 movie...but only cos it's popped outside of the top ten for a quick smoke
think one of my fav characters in this film is the extremely small steve buscemi part as the diner waiter....never have i seen someone who hates their job that much

love the fact that in chronological order, 'butch' has the first and last scene

< Message edited by steflon -- 19/2/2009 9:19:13 PM >

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 21
RE: Pulp Fiction - 20/12/2012 11:15:50 PM   
Whistler

Guess what I'm going to see on the big screen next month...

(in reply to steflon)
Post #: 22
RE: Pulp Fiction - 21/12/2012 12:04:44 AM   
Hood_Man

The Aristocrats!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 23
RE: Pulp Fiction - 21/12/2012 4:52:03 AM   
Joserabal

It is a american crime movie and i love this movie.......

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 24
RE: Pulp Fiction - 25/12/2012 3:30:11 AM   
Sutty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

True about Jackie Brown: no one scene stands out on its own, but you can't really say that that's a bad thing, as the whole film is on a high from start to finish. Immensely enjoyable, mind.

Jackie Brown is a fantastic movie. Though not as fun or frankly quite as awesome Pulp Fiction, it is a more mature work that shows what tarantino can do when he reigns himself in a little and doesn't get a little overly self indulgent. And there are plenty of stand out moments.

Pulp Fiction is up there with any of the great films ever made. Wonderfully scripted, brilliantly acted, and put togther in such away that you just want more. A true great.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

Post #: 25
RE: Pulp Fiction - 26/12/2012 11:50:41 AM   
Joserabal

hi,

it is a nice crime cum thriller movie............

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 26
RE: Pulp Fiction - 30/12/2012 8:02:14 PM   
Whistler

Guess what else I'm going to see next month... none other than Reservoir Dogs. It's funny, I've wanted to see Dogs and Fiction on the big screen for years, and then suddenly they both come in the same month! No doubt it's because of Django - which I'll be seeing in between. January is going to be awesome

(in reply to Joserabal)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Pulp Fiction Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI