Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Arsenal 2012/13

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Arsenal 2012/13 Page: <<   < prev  185 186 [187] 188 189   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 3/11/2012 4:11:57 PM   
directorscut

Awesome avatar tal.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 5581
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 3/11/2012 4:21:50 PM   
talpacino

He is a jerk though.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5582
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 3/11/2012 4:38:06 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I only caught bits while I was in a TV shop. But it seemed like many lunchtime kick offs where the players just haven't woken up. From what I saw even Cazorla looked poor.

No wonder Arsene was bigging up CL qualification as being as good as a trophy. In honesty it looks like they might struggle to finish in the top four this season. I know that has been said before and Wenger has turned it around, but they are not playing with any style, confidence, finishing ability or defensive stability. There are a lot of places on the field the team needs to improve.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 5583
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 3/11/2012 4:47:46 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I only caught bits while I was in a TV shop. But it seemed like many lunchtime kick offs where the players just haven't woken up. From what I saw even Cazorla looked poor.

No wonder Arsene was bigging up CL qualification as being as good as a trophy. In honesty it looks like they might struggle to finish in the top four this season. I know that has been said before and Wenger has turned it around, but they are not playing with any style, confidence, finishing ability or defensive stability. There are a lot of places on the field the team needs to improve.

Not while Spurs are still this rubbish.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5584
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 3/11/2012 5:13:43 PM   
talpacino

Decent results around us. Not too glum.

Currahee!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5585
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 3/11/2012 9:28:50 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

Yeah the crowd were very loud. A few unsavoury chants but something along the lines of "Robin, you're a cunt" isn't as bad as Man U chanting what sounded like "are you Savile in disguise?"

Didn't see it, but the report I read was that it was the Arsenal supporters changing "Dutch Jimmy Saville" at RvP

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 5586
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 3/11/2012 10:22:25 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I thought Arsenal were,frankly,gutless today and arguably one of the poorest team performances I've seen this year.
I raved about Arsenal against Liverpool and I really felt they would have a positive say in the title race this season but today I only see a dominant former team living in there own past successful shadow.

The worst thing is Manchester United didn't turn up to today either,but even then they could have easily scored a few more goals.

Concerning the game as a whole I thought it was pretty average.
United played ok at times but that was largely down to Arsenal lacking in fight and spirit.
Rooney shaded it for me interms of MOTM,but if I was to give him a rating out of 10 then I'd say he got a 7,and thats possibly stretching it.

The overal-match rating for me would be 6/10.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 3/11/2012 10:23:13 PM >

Post #: 5587
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 3/11/2012 11:51:17 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Spurs aren't your big concern, Everton are. As long as they can avoid their usual end of season dip in form fourth place is Everton's for the taking.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5588
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 4/11/2012 5:33:13 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Spurs aren't your big concern, Everton are. As long as they can avoid their usual end of season dip in form fourth place is Everton's for the taking.

Lol, good one. Unless you're serious, in which case watch more football/improve your grasp of quantum mechanics.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 5589
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 4/11/2012 10:16:16 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I think you'll find that it's been quite common place for Everton to drop points towards the end of the season, if you look at the last few seasons of results you'll see they've drawn around 5 of their final 10 games of each season, and lost a couple too.

You could argue for a team fighting for a Europa league spot in the past that's not too shabby, but if you're fighting for fourth place, dropping 10-16 points in your final 10 games isn't good enough, hence their one top four finish since 2007.

So I'll politely suggest to you that you go and watch more football, and try to refrain from those attempts to be funny, they're about as successful as Arsenal over the past 7 years.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5590
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 4/11/2012 11:11:17 PM   
Olaf

bloody hell, you are serious. Let's take a look then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Everton_F.C._season
Beaten 6-1 on the opening day by Arsenal, followed by defeat to newly-promoted Burnley. Record by the end of October is W3 D3 L4. ' The club ended the league campaign very strongly, suffering only two defeats in their final 24 league games.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010-11_Everton_F.C._season#Results
12 points by the end of October. Three wins in their first ten games (indeed, 'With only one point through three matches, it marked Everton's worst start in a league season in over a decade'). Unbeaten at home from January onwards, and their record from March was W6 D3 L2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_Everton_F.C._season#Premier_League
Five defeats by the end of October - record W3 D1 L5. Finished the season on a nine-game unbeaten run, prompting David Moyes to say they've ended the season in 'top-four form' (http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/sport/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2012/05/14/everton-fc-have-ended-season-in-top-four-form-says-david-moyes-99623-30961771/)

Everton's insane end-of-season form is legendary, ask anyone else here. Thus I will politely suggest to you that A) Google is your friend and B) you only look even more silly when you go on the defensive when people call you out for saying patently silly things.

EDIT Everton did indeed foul up their last ten games in 07/08, but it's evidently an anomaly. Was that what you were referring to?

< Message edited by Olaf -- 4/11/2012 11:12:59 PM >

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 5591
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 5/11/2012 1:52:56 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Personally I've worked on the theory over the years that Everton struggle to have two good halves in a season. Indeed they invariably have one really good half and another that is quite poor. I think most recently its been a slow start and strong finish, but my memory (which may not be supported by actual evidence ) remembers the other is possible too.

I usually put this down to a lack of strength in depth, so if one or two players are out for Everton it really shows. And I could see that again this year. If Fellaini picks up and injury (or is picked up - can't see who though) then they could have problems.

Many players have a good first season and then are "found out" and though he has 4 goals this season, I start to wonder if Jelavic is getting found out, or just suffering a dip in form. I'm also not that impressed by Naismith.

So, I could see Everton starting to struggle (though hope for the sake of interest and stuff they don't).

Back to Arsenal, on the Arsenal thread.

Its not often he does it, but imo poor management by Arsene this weekend. I don't think he can talk of wanting Walcott to commit to Arsenal and then miss him out of the starting line up of one of the biggest PL games of the season after he's impressed in the mid-week game.

And you can't say you are not going to rush Wilshere back from such a serious injury and them leave him out there until he inevitably gets sent off.

Plus, I know he has injuries to the full backs but would anyone not have hooked Santos off (even if they'd started him) after such a terrible performance that he capped off by being a RvP fan as they walked in at half time.

EDIT: I also think its been interesting how Wilshere and Cleverly became better players by not playing. All through the Euros if they'd have been available England would have been a much better team. Well they probably would cos they were pretty cack, but I've not seen either of them as world beaters since they've come back to be honest. I know its far too soon to say much about Wilshere who has looked good in the past, but I don't half think some media / fans get carried away.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 5/11/2012 2:01:50 PM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5592
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 5/11/2012 2:03:38 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

It was one of the worst performances I've seen from a 'top side' in a long,long time.
Yes Arsenal were Uniteds last season whipping-boys at OT,but at least they showed alittle more spirit and were ,generally,a team of youth and inexperience.No excuses this time round.

Even with Manchester United performing well below-par they still outplayed and ,more importantly,out smarted Arsenal.

Though 2-1 sounds like a close game and I can understand Fergusons dismayed comments after the game,less so from Arsene Wenger who claimed the game was a close-call.

I think it would have been a better if it wasn't a early kick off though.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 5/11/2012 2:13:18 PM >

Post #: 5593
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 5/11/2012 2:25:21 PM   
superdan

quote:

Plus, I know he has injuries to the full backs but would anyone not have hooked Santos off (even if they'd started him) after such a terrible performance that he capped off by being a RvP fan as they walked in at half time.

I've not seen a huge amount of him, but from what I have seen Santos seems like pure, unrefined garbage. He makes Enrique look like Maldini. I can't believe Arsenal can't do better than him, and the fact he plays for Brazil is lol-worthy. I think he can be filed as another one of those signings Wenger makes periodically which are somewhat less than successful (see also: Cygan, Jeffers, Stepanov etc)

Also, I thought it was accepted wisdom (with the odd exception to prove the rule) that Moyes' Everton are habitually crap at the start of the season and finish like fucking racehorses.

Post #: 5594
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 5/11/2012 2:26:42 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah I was surprised at how abject Arsenal were at the weekend. They were made to look ordinary by a less than stellar United. The days of the teams being on equal footing seem a long time ago.

Things I learned on Saturday.

Fergie needs to give Anderson more games before he hits the cake shop again.

RvP does indeed score when he wants.

Rafael looks some player since being given a regular starting place (soon to be usurped by an out of position Smalling or Jones no doubt).

Cazorla was a great buy by Wenger.

Santos was not.

Wilshere is that kind of player.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 5595
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 5/11/2012 2:35:33 PM   
Olaf

I like to think the only reason Theo wasn't playing was the fact that he played 120 minutes midweek. We'll see next week anyway (still highly plausible that he's still frozen out or whatever). I agree that it was a mistake to leave Wilshere on though, especially since both he and Cleverley got final warnings for second-yellow worthy tackles. He had a great game the week before on his return - albeit against QPR - so I'm fairly confident he'll be able to return to his pre-injury level after a run in the team, though getting sent off naturally doesn't help. My main concern is that all the fans' hopes for the season will pretty much rest on him, which won't help (the Ox comes to mind as a player who's gone backwards under the weight of expectation).

The hype for Cleverley on the other hand is largely inexplicable (though to be honest, all my United-supporting mates don't seem to be that big on him either) - he's flattered to deceive whenever I've seen him play, and it's not as if the other players in the United midfield are the kind of worldbeaters that should outshine him every week. Anderson was much better than him when he came on, personally.

Post #: 5596
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 5/11/2012 2:37:15 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Wilshere is that kind of player.

Yep. I suppose he's young and all that but he needs to cut out the reckless/nasty/both tackles at some point. Or at least get better at it, like Paul Scholes.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 5597
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 5/11/2012 2:47:52 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

The hype for Cleverly and all players usually starts from the Media,especially if said player is English.
Hype is something I take little notice of.
I think Cleverly is a good developing player who has had awful luck with injuries which have halted his progress,but I don't regard him anything other than a player who will reach a good standard ie playing standard as Butt,Ambrosini,Parlour.Good,solid team players.

Anderson is a good player too.He's much more explosive in his play than Cleverly but his final ball is still lacking imo,though this is getting better ie against Chelsea.

Wilshire will grow into a great player,no doubt.
He really has that composure and skill on the ball that the Manchester United man Paul Scholes shows.
He may lack the goals of what Scholes did in his early days,but Wilshire has always been a midfielder where'as Scholes was a striker in his early,early days.
He also has that same bite that Scholes has which (I'm going to be alone in this) I dont mind.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 5/11/2012 2:49:09 PM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5598
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 5/11/2012 6:29:30 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Rafael looks some player since being given a regular starting place (soon to be usurped by an out of position Smalling or Jones no doubt).

I reall hope for Rafael's sake this doesn't happen (although wouldn't be surprised if it did). He's been really good playing consistently at RB and I think that Jones is another one of those players who was overhyped constantly by the media. I prefer Smalling as he's a classier defender not just steaming around getting out of position. But Rafael is still the better RB.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 5599
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 5/11/2012 7:04:07 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Slightly off-topic but I reckon David Luiz could make a good full-back..
(yeah!,he should be left-back in the changing room.Boom.Boom.)

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5600
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 6/11/2012 8:50:24 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Slightly off-topic but I reckon David Luiz could make a good full-back..
(yeah!,he should be left-back in the changing room.Boom.Boom.)

Hmm, not sure. Positioning is arguably even more important for a full-back than it is for a centre-half, and it's almost certainly Luiz's weak spot. (same reason why Vermaelen always seems rubbish at LB despite apparently playing there for Belgium.) Plus Luiz's 'unique' approach to tackling could possibly be even more exposed against the traditionally quickest and most skillful players in those wide positions.

I actually think he's improved in the last few months though. Was a beast in the CL final and hasn't looked quite as much the liability he has been in the past, though Chelsea's defence has been looking a fair bit shakier than usual.

Post #: 5601
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 6/11/2012 8:04:18 PM   
directorscut

I've always said Wall-e was a natural goalscorer.

Cool as ice.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5602
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 6/11/2012 8:05:37 PM   
talpacino

Wenger will have to give him the role soon enough. Feel a little sorry for Giroud.

Currahee!

Post #: 5603
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 6/11/2012 8:11:27 PM   
talpacino

Not anymore. Giroud u iz sex.

Currahee!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 5604
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 6/11/2012 8:32:12 PM   
directorscut

It just wouldn't be Arsenal without.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 5605
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 6/11/2012 8:34:53 PM   
talpacino

We need better studs.

Currahee!

Post #: 5606
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 6/11/2012 9:04:35 PM   
directorscut

Hell yeah Podolski!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 5607
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 6/11/2012 9:11:13 PM   
directorscut

This is a week The Verminator will long to forget.

Post #: 5608
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 6/11/2012 9:40:34 PM   
directorscut

Arsenal will finish second and draw Barca in the next round. It is inevitable.

Post #: 5609
RE: Arsenal 2012/13 - 8/11/2012 3:34:36 PM   
talpacino

Why do footballers agree to take part in these things?

http://www.balls.ie/football/people-didnt-take-olivier-girouds-twitter-q-and-a-very-seriously/#sthash.4cGXOwgV.dpbs

Currahee!

Post #: 5610
Page:   <<   < prev  185 186 [187] 188 189   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Arsenal 2012/13 Page: <<   < prev  185 186 [187] 188 189   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI