Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Heroes And Villains

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Heroes And Villains Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Heroes And Villains - 13/11/2007 9:40:55 AM   
Timon

Did anyone see the start of this BBC miniseries last night? The first episode focused on Napoleon's rise to power.

For a one hour docudrama, it was very good - solid cast with Rob Brydon, Alice Krige and Tom Burke as the Old Boney and clearly a decent budget to give the locations and battles scope.

Very enjoyable stuff - Burke was a good Napoleon and it made me want to see the further exploits of the Corsican dicatator.

Does anyone know which other historical figures are to be featured?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Heroes And Villains - 13/2/2008 12:09:14 PM   
Timon

Ok, so I was the only one to watch the Napoleon one but I think there's another one on tonight about Attila The Hun. Is it the same 'series' or is this a one off? They haven't really been advertising it.

EDIT: I've found out that they seem to be showing them rather sparsely as the DVD isn't out till August.

Lavish, all-action dramatic spectacles based on the lives of six men who shaped the world around them, either by sheer force of will, genius, courage or even greed. Powerful, magnetic personalities who have earned their place in the world's imagination, all prepared to die for what they believed in - whether it was God or gold, the pursuit of power and glory or a magnificent ideal.
From Spartacus, the gladiator who brought Rome to its knees, to the audacious military genius Napoleon, this series combines absorbing drama with CGI to ask what were the motives, the strengths and even the weaknesses that drove these men to achieve what no one else had dared.

The amazing stories of Hernan Cortez, Attila the Hun, Tokugawa Ieyasu, and Richard the Lionheart are also included.

< Message edited by Timon -- 13/2/2008 12:14:09 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Heroes And Villains - 15/2/2008 10:55:41 AM   
Timon

So no-one watched this then? Shame as it was rather good. Very well done considering the limited budget and suitably brutal.

Only really thing that bothered me were all the Huns had Scottish accents and all the Romans English...it was like Braveheart Vs The Roman Legions.

You can only fit so much into an hour but I think it would have been interested to see his death at the hands of his wife (according to legend).

Did anyone ever see the American TV movie about Atilla with Gerard Butler (doing a dodgy American accent for some reason) in the title role?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: Heroes And Villains - 15/2/2008 10:59:33 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

So no-one watched this then? Shame as it was rather good. Very well done considering the limited budget and suitably brutal.

Only really thing that bothered me were all the Huns had Scottish accents and all the Romans English...it was like Braveheart Vs The Roman Legions.

You can only fit so much into an hour but I think it would have been interested to see his death at the hands of his wife (according to legend).

Did anyone ever see the American TV movie about Atilla with Gerard Butler (doing a dodgy American accent for some reason) in the title role?

Yeah - it wasn't very good, but more historical films should cast Powers Boothe in them.

Didn't see either of those documentaries - the BBC have been hiding them away it seems. I knew about Attlia but I wasn't even aware there was a Napoleon documentary. Shame, as I love that period.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: Heroes And Villains - 15/2/2008 11:14:31 AM   
elab49

It wasn't great - most of my course probably ended up watching it because that is part of our period. I'm not really sure I get the point of them to be honest. A drama about a character in history that there is more than one view about? Based on a particular incident that may or may not be key?

That said, I will have it on DVD somewhere - I kept it in case anyone had missed it.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5
RE: Heroes And Villains - 15/2/2008 2:38:31 PM   
Timon

I take it you mean the Butler starer production rather than the one last night? Either way, it's cool that you studied him at school/uni.

I'm excited about the Richard the Lionheart one. It's nice that Steven Waddington (Last of the Mohicans) is starring as him after playing him in the Robin Hood finale.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Heroes And Villains - 15/2/2008 3:58:56 PM   
elab49

Sorry - I meant the Napoleon one. He's a big chunk of one of my current courses. And a major hero of my tutor who seemed none too impressed!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 15/2/2008 3:59:27 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: Heroes And Villains - 15/2/2008 5:41:50 PM   
Wedge

Aren't they releasing all these on one dvd boxset?

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Heroes And Villains - 17/2/2008 3:04:43 PM   
DaveNewman18

I saw it the other night and found it to be entertaining enough, I'd quite like to see more from the series.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 9
RE: Heroes And Villains - 20/2/2008 4:44:16 PM   
Mason Verger

This film tells you all you need to know about history.

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to DaveNewman18)
Post #: 10
RE: Heroes And Villains - 27/2/2008 3:59:31 PM   
Mason Verger

Spartacus
Friday 29 February
9:00pm - 10:00pm
BBC2

It's an uphill battle remaking a tale that's burnt into our memories via a classic film. Then again, uphill battles are mostly what this docudrama consists of. I've never seen so many dusty skirmishes, swordfights and punch-ups in an hour - well mounted, but tiring after a while. Anthony Flanagan plays the great slave general who in 73 BC led a rebellion against Rome. But as well as the Roman legions he has to overcome a literal script where characters spell everything out to each other. ("We can't run forever!" "This is about power!" etc.) Still, it's an inspiring story.

RT reviewer " David ButcherVIDEO Plus+: 8165
Subtitled, Widescreen, Audio-described

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 11
RE: Heroes And Villains - 27/2/2008 4:02:14 PM   
elab49

I saw this but I couldn't see anything linking it to this series - wrong channel for one. Is it part of it?

quote:

Post #: 12
RE: Heroes And Villains - 27/2/2008 4:07:07 PM   
Mason Verger

Yes, he's the fourth from the left.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: Heroes And Villains - 27/2/2008 4:24:20 PM   
Timon

Not a good sign that the series has been shifted over to BBC2 but to be honest, I reckon it's more likely to find an audience there....hopefully. Can't wait, I love the Spartacus 'legend'.

Post #: 14
RE: Heroes And Villains - 27/2/2008 4:54:05 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

Yes, he's the fourth from the left.

I'd never seen anything indicating who was being done. I assume Richard the Lionheart - lord knows where they'll find the hero bit there. Brave isn't the same thing. Is that Harold?

quote:

Post #: 15
RE: Heroes And Villains - 29/2/2008 11:21:07 AM   
Timon

Richard I's legacy has always been controversial mainly due to his rabid anti-semetic views but due to folklore, he's become more legend than historical figure.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: Heroes And Villains - 29/2/2008 12:39:56 PM   
elab49

Agreed - but virtually all is negative, not just the anti-semitism. I couldn't think of anything nicely positive to say about the bloodthirsty little sadist.

quote:

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 17
RE: Heroes And Villains - 29/2/2008 12:47:47 PM   
Timon

How about he actually sough a truce with Saladin where all faiths were allowed access to Jerusalem?

Oh and he had a cool nickname? And dealt with his little brother, who was arguably worse.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: Heroes And Villains - 29/2/2008 1:38:51 PM   
elab49

I think Lackland might be a better candidate for Hero and Villain in truth - the perception is almost entirely through the Robin Hood legend. But he at least tried to tax the nobility the normally exempt - and even if it failed he did ultimately sign Magna Carta - which is more important to us than anything his brother - who barely looked back on leaving England and simply used his kingdom to pay for his continual warfare.

quote:

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 19
RE: Heroes And Villains - 2/3/2008 8:28:05 PM   
Timon

The Spartacus mini drama was very good I though - well put together and while the lead was no Kirk Douglas, he was a solid leader of men.

The story of the slave who wanted freedom is always inspiring stuff.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 20
RE: Heroes And Villains - 3/3/2008 2:49:32 PM   
Mason Verger

Spartacus was also done as a 2004 TV miniseries with Goran Visnjic. 

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 21
RE: Heroes And Villains - 12/3/2008 12:41:52 PM   
elab49

Interestingly this series was originally called Warriors according to the press release which would explain the lack of duality at times.

Brian McArdie is up next as Cortes on Saturday, 9pm, BBC2. I remember when he was a sweet faced wee actor - and then turned into a wonderful snarling hardman in Murphy's Law and Low Winter Sun. SHould be interesting.

quote:

Post #: 22
RE: Heroes And Villains - 21/3/2008 12:30:25 PM   
Mason Verger

Richard the Lionheart
Saturday 22 March
10:00pm - 11:00pm
BBC2

It's 1191 and Richard I has a large and inexpressibly annoying bee in his imperial bonnet. With Jerusalem firmly in the grip of the Saracens, the King of England is determined to defeat their dastardly leader, Saladin: a goal that he's set on, according to this beefy epic in the excellent Heroes and Villains series, "not for power or wealth, but for God". Here, we join the indefatigable Lionheart and his 1,200-strong Christian army as they embark on a third Crusade to the Holy Land, a mission that apparently entailed night-time ambushes, internal power struggles and a hitherto inconceivable number of chain-mail snoods. Though Richard's personality remains elusive - unless you count his penchant for bellowing "COOOOOME ONNNN!" while charging towards sand dunes, which you really shouldn't - both his military fortitude and his legacy are made stirringly real. With surprisingly convincing fight scenes, a rousing soundtrack and legions of game extras in authentically disgusting headscarves, it's historical re-enactment at its heartiest.

RT reviewer - Sarah DempsterVIDEO Plus+: 4464
Subtitled, Widescreen, High definition, Audio-described

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 23
RE: Heroes And Villains - 21/3/2008 8:50:04 PM   
Timon

I enjoyed the Cortes one and was surprised that he was made out to be so..... sympatheitc despite his genocidal actions. I shall await the Richard I with great anticipation.

Post #: 24
RE: Heroes And Villains - 28/3/2008 1:29:05 PM   
Mason Verger

The Shogun
Saturday 29 March
9:30pm - 10:30pm
BBC2

Japan, 1600: Tokugawa Ieyasu (James Saito), the greatest Samurai warrior of them all, is fighting to become Shogun - the military and political leader of his people. He's a cunning, brave soldier with a reputation for calculation and painstaking diplomacy, yet it's a reckless decision that wins the day. Much of the political manoeuvring in this drama documentary is as unreadable as Ieyasu's expression, while the American accents of some of the characters do nothing for realism. But, even if this is closer to The Water Margin than Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, there are some impressive battle scenes that, with a few more extras and a lot more rain, could come from a Kurosawa fi lm.

RT reviewer - Jane RackhamVIDEO Plus+: 19368
Subtitled, Widescreen, High definition, Audio-described
Cast

• James Sato,Hiro Kanagawa,Louis Ozawa Changchien

(in reply to Timon)
  • Post #: 25
    RE: Heroes And Villains - 28/3/2008 1:30:36 PM   
    Timon

I forgot to post my thoughts about the Richard I one. I liked it! Evenly handled I thought and it was good to see the Hospitalers included. Possibly my favorite so far.

They seemed to have also nicked Will Scarlett (Harry Lloyd) from Robin Hood as well as he was there as 'Lucas'.

Post #: 26
    RE: Heroes And Villains - 28/3/2008 9:35:46 PM   
    elab49

I'll be trying to catch tomorrows. You watch so many Japanese films set in this era you think you already half know the history so it should be interesting.

quote:

(in reply to Timon)
    Post #: 27
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Heroes And Villains Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
    Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI