Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: American Gangster

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: American Gangster Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: American Gangster - 26/3/2008 4:29:28 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

The best movie I've seen that's come out of the 00's. Brilliant direction, great acting, interesting subject matter and also a very graphic depiction of the rise and subsequent fall of druglord Frank Lucas. Well worth the 3 hours of your time
5 stars or 9.5/10

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: American Gangster - 26/3/2008 4:25:06 PM   
MOTH

A patchy, forgettable thriller which pales in comparison to other superior efforts covering similar ground, such as Serpico, The French Connection and TV's The Wire. Washington and Crowe are both fine in their roles but the lack of dynamic interaction between the two is a disappointment. Once again Ridley Scott proves unable to fashion a compelling story on a large scale, resulting in an uneven and poorly paced movie. A pity, because the fascinating true-life events it's based upon deserved a better big-screen treatment.(5/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 62
RE: - 29/3/2008 11:51:50 PM   
gunstar

100's of movies have been there and done this, 87% of them better.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Perrettyboy)
Post #: 63
RE: RE: - 20/4/2008 1:08:56 PM   
El Becks

Agree totally with Moth and Gunstar; very disappointing film, and could not help but think, as the closing credits rolled, that the postscript that Richie Roberts subsequently left the Force and became a lawyer and the first person he represented was Frank Lucas was a much more interesting story; the story the film should have covered.  And no, I am not asking Scott to do a sequel.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 64
RE: RE: - 9/5/2008 12:09:31 PM   
Newander

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Becks

Agree totally with Moth and Gunstar; very disappointing film, and could not help but think, as the closing credits rolled, that the postscript that Richie Roberts subsequently left the Force and became a lawyer and the first person he represented was Frank Lucas was a much more interesting story; the story the film should have covered.  And no, I am not asking Scott to do a sequel.

I agree, that got my interest twitching, that would indeed be a good movie.
As to American Gangster, it was just ok. Good acting, good everything really, just not that great and nothing that hasn't been done before.

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to El Becks)
Post #: 65
- 11/7/2008 8:20:43 PM   
stephenhickman2

Great film. Watched the extended version the other day and thought the new ending stank of bum. Anyone agree?

Post #: 66
Great old-stylish entertainment. - 28/10/2008 3:51:39 PM   
ARmy2510

Climate. Directing. Acting. Screenplay. Climate. 5/5

Post #: 67
American Gangster - 19/11/2008 12:36:21 AM   
Swifty170

A great example of Hollywood filmmaking, but take the claim that it's "based on a true story" with a very big pinch of salt. Ridley Scott is an excellent director and Brian Grazer is an excellent producer, but I don't think either of them would let facts get in the way of telling a good story. For much of the film Richie Roberts is involved in a custody battle for his son, but in real life he didn't even have a kid! And the 'facts' about the time Frank Lucas served in prison that come at the end of the film are wrong (but I loved the use of Public Enemy in the end scene). Some former DEA agents even filed a lawsuit against Universal over the film. But if you take it for what it is - a highly stylised gangster movie - then it's good stuff. Hollywood never kept to the facts in the days of James Cagney and Edward G. Robinson either. I just don't think they should have tried to pass this film off as being 'real life'. Washington and Crowe are always watchable (and probably make the characters more likeable than they should have been) and Scott is one of the best directors around. The film looks and feels the part but beware of Hollywood 'truths'.

Post #: 68
- 22/11/2008 6:57:22 PM   
willchadwick

It's fantastic, a true return to form for Ridley Scott after his abysmal last couple of films.

Post #: 69
- 28/2/2009 1:31:31 PM   
Tindum

This film got largely mixed reviews on its release but give it time. It will soon be rediscovered as the masterpiece it truly is.

Post #: 70
- 28/2/2009 1:31:32 PM   
Tindum

This film got largely mixed reviews on its release but give it time. It will soon be rediscovered as the masterpiece it truly is.

Post #: 71
Poor, dull.......and most notably dissappointing. - 10/8/2009 2:22:21 PM   
WhiteRabbit23

A cliche, boring and overly long gangster movie. I think that Ridley Scott is a brilliant director, one of my favourites, and thus I was very dissappointed by 'American Gangster.' Given the director and the cast list, I was expecting it to be a really well done, innovative film.....with something that made it different from your average, run of the mill gangster films that appear to be churned out, with the same revisted plots and characters again and again. This film failed to keep my interest. Hopefully this was just a bad day for Ridley Scott and that we can expect better films, of his usual high standard, in the future.

Post #: 72
- 15/9/2009 10:33:24 PM   
TheGodfather

Watched today:

American Gangster
Ridley Scott`s take on the based on a true story- tale of self-made crime lord Frank Lucas (Denzel Washington), who`ll do anything to take get the much-needed drugs, and the police man chasing him (Russel Crowe).
Even though the pace of the story in the beginning, the first 60 minutes, isn`t really high you do have to keep your attention focused. A lot of characters come and go and you don`t get a real feeling with the leed characters.
After that first hour this kinda goes aways and the film focusses more on the two leads, wich serves the film well. It works the best that way: as a plain old true crime film.
A lot of cliché`s pass the screen, something that does start to annoy after a while.
All in all it is watchable and it does have a lot of good things in it, it isn`t Scott`s best by any means.
7,5/10

Post #: 73
OK but I felt dirty afterwards - 6/2/2010 10:20:29 PM   
kristyw

This was good in many ways but drugs are so not glamourous and it was a very seedy film. Would recommend to see once but once only.

Post #: 74
Empire, Your Wrong - 1/1/2011 12:25:36 AM   
linkinpython

Great acting, great story, great film. End Of

Post #: 75
Brilliant - 8/3/2011 7:31:04 PM   
the film man

I honestly can't see anything wrong with this film,

Post #: 76
- 28/3/2011 10:01:51 PM   
lukejt02

Been meaning to watch this for ages but it's just one of those movies that I don't actively seek out. Very average, nothing at all special about it at all, good performances from both Washington and  Crowe. It's watchable but that about all I can really say.

Post #: 77
American Gangster Reciew - 28/12/2011 11:07:30 AM   
the film man

American Gangster is a gritty and entertaining throwback to classic gangster films, with its lead performers firing on all cylinders.

Post #: 78
American Gangster Review - 28/12/2011 11:08:20 AM   
the film man

American Gangster is a gritty and entertaining throwback to classic gangster films, with its lead performers firing on all cylinders.

Post #: 79
Another damnation with faint praise... - 24/9/2014 8:39:33 PM   
Belisarius0365

...for one of the all-time great filmmakers. Perhaps the only real flaw in this film is that it doesn't sufficiently demonstrate the damage Lucas's drugs empire does to the people of his fiefdom; in fact, the handful of scenes showing people OD'ing at Thanksgiving could be interpreted as a result of Cuba Gooding Jnr's messing with the product. But then Ridley Scott usually trusts the audience to have the intelligence to draw those conclusions themselves.

Post #: 80
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: American Gangster Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI