Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Very Gripping.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Very Gripping. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Very Gripping. - 22/11/2007 5:18:13 PM   
joanna likes films

I just went to see this movie at my local cinemia and it was totally gripping. Denzel Washinton was brillant as the bad guy, he played it with such meance and charmsia that would make you believe him sometimes. Russell Crowe once again, does the good cop, struggling to have his kid and sleeping around, does also brillantly. You can work alongside him in the movie and then dump him because he may make a bad move. Both of them maybe, just maybe, be up for Oscar for best actor next year. It was very gripping, the story was great and although it was a numb 2 hours and 26 minutes, every bit of it was worth it and the action was top notch.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Very Gripping. - 22/11/2007 7:42:28 PM   
Soulfinger

Good film. Has some really good moments and Denzil is ice cold blooded but not as good as The Departed from last year let alone the greats of Goodfellas, Scarface and The Godfather etc but like some said earlier its a good addition to the genre.

Do not touch my TV, my DVD, my stereo, my satellite. Do not touch my old school, my new school, my slow jams, my party jams, my happy rap, and you better not touch.......... My James Brown!!

(in reply to joanna likes films)
Post #: 32
RE: Very Gripping. - 23/11/2007 12:33:15 PM   
paulyboy

I'll echo the general consensus that this is extremely solid if unspectacular stuff, much like The Departed in my eyes. It's well shot, directed and acted if somewhat overlong truth be told, still thoroughly recommended however.

3.5/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Soulfinger)
Post #: 33
American Gangsta!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 23/11/2007 6:30:45 PM   
gareth_082

Just got back from the cinema, film was awesome! Denzel is worth an oscar nomination but Crowe maybe needs to re-think his approach rather than tread the same footsteps (LA CONFIDENTIAL?). I have to agree with earlier comments made, the back end of the film picked up the pace very quickly when another 20-30mins really would not have hurt. In the end Denzel's outstanding portrayal of Frank Lucas patches over the obvious signs of repetition/weakness to just scrape a 4/5.

Post #: 34
American Gangsta!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 23/11/2007 6:30:48 PM   
gareth_082

Just got back from the cinema, film was awesome! Denzel is worth an oscar nomination but Crowe maybe needs to re-think his approach rather than tread the same footsteps (LA CONFIDENTIAL?). I have to agree with earlier comments made, the back end of the film picked up the pace very quickly when another 20-30mins really would not have hurt. In the end Denzel's outstanding portrayal of Frank Lucas patches over the obvious signs of repetition/weakness to just scrape a 4/5.

Post #: 35
RE: American gangster - 24/11/2007 5:57:28 PM   
talentedgc

American Gangster is a very good movie. I don't think it is Oscar worthy but then I didn't like The Departed and that turned into an Oscar winner (The power of Jack and Marty!)

I've seen Into The Wild and think that has an outside chance. One longer film with Oscar claims but a lot slower and stylistically different is the Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford.

(in reply to elzupasmonkey)
Post #: 36
RE: American Gangster - 24/11/2007 6:32:54 PM   
haylzbella

i didnt like it! i thought i would. it had a hold of me for a while but near the mid end and end i was just bored. quite suprised. nevermind.

This is my labour.....i wait

Post #: 37
American Gangster - 26/11/2007 3:09:48 PM   
solid snake

This looked brilliant on the trailer and turned out even better. I think its a masterpiece and would say it stands with Goodfellas and The Godfather as bieng one of the greatest American crime films ever made.

Post #: 38
- 28/11/2007 12:15:33 PM   
quizkid

with all the talent on offer scott washington crowe this should have been a lipsmacking feast a gold plated classic alas it isnt that not to say theyare not some good elements a real seventies feel in the way its madewith echoes of sidney lumets work josh brolins tache straight from nick nolte in qand a plus cop figts against corruption like serpico prince of the city. crowe is effectively world weary in his role as ritchie roberts washington quite low key as lucaswhich make sudden explosions of violence more effective but somehow because the characters are kept apart for most of the film it does not cohere into a compelling wholenot eworth more than a 3 sorry.

Post #: 39
RE: Amercian Gangster - 29/11/2007 12:09:29 AM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigStew
In response to the slating of 50 cent being a tit , may I remind you that Al Pacino , Ray Liotta and Robert De Niro are ACTORS playing roles as gangsters . THEY ARE NOT REAL

..whereas 50 pence is a true to life gangster? break yourself fool!

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to BigStew)
Post #: 40
RE: Amercian Gangster - 30/11/2007 6:34:33 PM   
srod82

I enjoyed it, my only complaint would be that I felt the middle third was a little to lagging but other than that an enjoyable film. I thought Josh Brolin kinda stole it in places but it was nice to see Cuba Gooding Jr get back into his stride

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 41
Better than 'The Departed' - 2/12/2007 1:52:39 PM   
SidArfaan

Like a lot of films, American Gangster has it's flaws, but the skillful direction, excellent performances from the leading men make this movie one of the best crime movies of the decade. The Departed was too long for it's own good and focused mailnly on the violence rather than the characters (which is why the HK original Infernal Affairs is much more aoccomplished), where as American Gangster has a god balance about moral actions, the relationship between the cop and the crook as well ascorruption in the police force. Quite interesting

Post #: 42
Better than 'The Departed' - 2/12/2007 1:52:40 PM   
SidArfaan

Like a lot of films, American Gangster has it's flaws, but the skillful direction, excellent performances from the leading men make this movie one of the best crime movies of the decade. The Departed was too long for it's own good and focused mailnly on the violence rather than the characters (which is why the HK original Infernal Affairs is much more aoccomplished), where as American Gangster has a god balance about moral actions, the relationship between the cop and the crook as well ascorruption in the police force. Quite interesting

Post #: 43
- 9/12/2007 11:04:28 AM   
ukedge87

I'm not a massive fan of Ridley Scott, I'm not crazy about Gladiator or Blade Runner but I do love Alien. But I watched this with an open mind, and to be honest it goes into my list of Scott films along with most of his work that isn't bad, but isn't great.

Denzel Washington was great as Lucas - the film's strongest point. But I just didn't get Crowe in his role as det. Roberts, I'm not a massive fan of Crowe and I just felt he didn't bring a whole lot to the role.

The film pans out more like a social piece, than a proper gangster piece but can't make its mind up to what it wants to be (which is odd given it's title), which isn't neccesarily a bad thing (in fact I thought the social examination worked better than the gangster stuff in many ways).

Plus the film is about 20 minutes too long (it should have ended outside the church with amazing grace playing). However, the film is engulfing at times and it is fairly engaging through out, and is certainly not a bad film, just not a great one.

Post #: 44
authentic? - 5/1/2008 6:30:38 PM   
kimratcliffe

having read the story as seen form the viewpoint of Lucas's young daughter- who wasn;teven mentioned itn he film - this was not at all what i expected. I am no fan of Crowe- who looks increasingly like Ricky Gervais!- but i thought the acting was of a good quality throughout- however i thought that the ending was very weak and it felt as if they had cut it short for somereason.i also did not like the Departed and thought this was altogether better in terms of acting & storyline and it definately ranked up there with Goodfellas . certainly kept my interest although not anywhere near as good as Lust CAution which has to be the best film on release

Post #: 45
RE: authentic? - 27/2/2008 4:59:21 PM   
Rumbaabaa

Can anyone tell me whether the first half hour or so of this film is in black and white?

(in reply to kimratcliffe)
Post #: 46
RE: authentic? - 27/2/2008 11:11:16 PM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rumbaabaa

Can anyone tell me whether the first half hour or so of this film is in black and white?

No it's not, none of it is if memory serves.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 47
RE: authentic? - 28/2/2008 12:13:38 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Has someone been watching naughty copies of the film...?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 48
RE: authentic? - 28/2/2008 10:04:32 AM   
Rumbaabaa

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

Has someone been watching naughty copies of the film...?

I would have if the first half hour wasn't in dodgy black and white...

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 49
extended?! what did they miss? - 11/3/2008 8:41:49 PM   
clarkeycats

yeah this film is really good, but surely they are joking when they are releasing an extended version!? the film is so bloated already. they should have learnt lessons from spiderman 3!

Post #: 50
Extended!!! Bring it On!! - 11/3/2008 11:56:51 PM   
Calcifer

Just thought I'd say this is one hell of a film and I'm utterly baffled as to how you can give a film like this 3 stars when you gave the utter rubbish that was Jumper the same rating. A truly amazing vision and a welcome return of serious film (Good Year was a little boring) from Ridley Scott. Proof that he is one of the greatest directors of our time. My only real concern was the ending and the way it seemed rushed, I am utterly over the moon that they have released an extended version with an alternate ending (most likely the version Ridley wanted us to see in the first place) and will be buying it as soon as I get the chance.

Post #: 51
Empire is spot on for once... - 12/3/2008 9:32:57 PM   
markymark123

3 stars for this is correct. It is not the modern masterpiece the hype suggests, this feels like a solid replica of a Sidney Lumet film without the characterisation and aftertaste. I am glad that Scott has toned down his editing though, he ruined a good year with that choppy MTV style he used.

Post #: 52
Was ok. - 13/3/2008 3:11:53 PM   
tallaght24

A bit underwhelming overall. The final picture looks like a snapshot from a buddy-cop movie.

Post #: 53
RE: American gangster - 15/3/2008 2:27:23 PM   
Diggler

I enjoyed this. I bought it on DVD yesterday so had the choice of watching the original cinema release or the extended version (an extra 30 mins or so). Naturally I went for more movie for my money.

Did Russell Crowe have to put on weight for this movie or is he just getting a little lardy as the years pass?

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to elzupasmonkey)
Post #: 54
RE: American gangster - 15/3/2008 2:30:28 PM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Diggler

I enjoyed this. I bought it on DVD yesterday so had the choice of watching the original cinema release or the extended version (an extra 30 mins or so). Naturally I went for more movie for my money.

Did Russell Crowe have to put on weight for this movie or is he just getting a little lardy as the years pass?

I believe Riche Roberts was supposed to be slightly overweight, but I'm sure Crowe wasn't complaining when he had to have a few extra Subways in preparation.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 55
Brilliant, honest crime--true life of a gangster - 17/3/2008 8:43:46 PM   
lynnshep

Excellent film. Amazing performances, thoughtful script that builds flawed but real characters--logical and thought provoking. Great slice of life about the corruption of the Vietnam Era. Wonderful film that doesn't glorify the gangster but makes him real and shows what will happen to him eventually.

Post #: 56
Average Gangster Flick - 19/3/2008 6:42:27 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I have to agree with Empire's three star review - this was a solid but uninspired effort by Ridley Scott and I was expecting a bit more from a gangster movie directed by him. One of the biggest problems was Denzel Washington whose acting was almost completely expressionless/ emotionless.

Maybe other people would look upon it as a cool performance but De Niro/ Pacino as the Corleones are what I consider cool - Washington was borderline autistic.

I looked up the real story after reading Empire's review and was amazed by the fact Lucas had actually been released after five years, then after being caught dealing dope again was sent down for another stretch. Most interestingly he was defended by none other than Richie Roberts - somehow I can't help but feel that Scott should have concentrated on this more as reality was far more interesting than how he chose to end it.

(in reply to lynnshep)
Post #: 57
American Gangster. - 19/3/2008 11:02:36 PM   
nc_jj

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
Great Movie.
I can't believe that Empire only gave it 3 stars.
You've got to buy the Collector's Edition.

Post #: 58
RE: American Gangster - 22/3/2008 4:42:28 PM   
R W

Synopsis
In 1968's New York, Frank Lucas (Washington) becomes the first black kingpin to go up against the American mafia, only to be taken down by Detective Richie Roberts (Crowe).

Review
Hollywood's most respected British filmmaker, Sir Ridley Scott is a director who knows how to create worlds from the past and the future, such as Blade Runner and Gladiator. But when it comes to modern films, like G.I. Jane and Hannibal, they're nothing more than just visual pieces. Reuniting with Russell 'Maximus' Crowe, Scott introduces his fourth masterpiece that is his first take on the gangster genre.

The rise of Frank Lucas is somewhat extroadinary. And we are shown his brilliance in many ways; for examole how he was able to shift the finest heroin from Vietnma, during the war, to America. He placed the entire heroin shipment in military coffins that were shipped back to the States. The way in which Scott shoot the Vietnam scenes, feels like a Werner Herzog documentary, without the strange accent, apparant in Grizzly Man.

One of the most successful screenwriters, Steven Zaillian, whose screenplay based on the article The Return of Superfly by Mark Jacobson. After countless drafts from various writers, Scott specifically chose Zaillian's draft, which is told in a fresh way from other crime flicks. He doesn't construct the film like another Scarface that just tells the rise and fall of the gangster. He tells one about the loser cop who does succeed. It has somewhat the same direction as Michael Mann's Heat, that seperates the two protagonists for most of the film to bring them together at the climax.

Looking at previous gangster movies like The French Connection and The Godfather, Ridley Scott directed this particular feature in a way that Francis Ford Coppola or Martin Scorsese couldn't do. He treats it in a documentary style in which you can see the big picture, for example, the infamous boxing sequence, where hundreds of people goingover the red carpet to see the fight that made Muhammad Ali the Heavyweight champion of the world. This is a sign that Ridley Scott is the perfect director of American Gangster.

Denzel Washington does an excellent portrayal of Frank Lucas, whose scenes show a Jekyll and Hyde side to his character. Russell Crowe is succeeds more as a downbeat, boy scout cop who can't get anything right while he deals with corrupt partners. There is great support behind the two lead stars, such as Cuba Gooding Jr as Nicky Barnes, New York's most stylish drug dealer at that time. The best word to describe him is... funkee.

As a film that is set in the 1970s, American Gangster provides an excellent soundtrack, including Bobby Womack's classic 'Across 110th Street'. The song is a nice nod back to Quentin Tarantno's third feature Jackie Brown. No matter what film has that tune, it makes it the five minutes of any film.

In one back story, Roberts' assignment is interrupted by the Special Investigations Unit, led by a slimeball of a cop, Josh Brolin, another great support. He may be a boy scout, but Roberts always had a shitty family life, where he was both a bad father and husband to Laurie (Carla Gugino). This may sound a predictable plot device from previous cop thrillers, but that story comes and goes, because it's not the point of the film. This is the same with Lymary Nadal, as Eva Lucas; only there are more scenes in which she gets more involved in the central story. From shootout to dialogue confrontation between Lucas and Roberts. The last twenty minutes shows the ultimate fates of these two characters which is surprising.

Verdict
Best film since Gladiator? Yes. This is Hollywood's most respected British director in top form once again.

Post #: 59
- 22/3/2008 7:24:24 PM   
Perrettyboy

First of im going to say that Josh Brolin, Denzel Washington and Chiwetel Ejiofor are all amazing in this film. I know some may disagree but in my opinion this film hit the spot, and i was intrigued from start to finish. The extended finale on the DVD was worth watching as well.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Very Gripping. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI