Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: We Will Remember Them

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: We Will Remember Them Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: We Will Remember Them - 11/11/2008 5:56:29 PM   
BigKovacs

On saturday the missus and I went into town at 10am and got some fresh poppies off some of the local army cadets and an old vet who were doing the rounds of the town centre outside of the main precinct to catch more people. When we walked home at 5ish the same crew were at the same spot and remember the weather on that day? We asked one if they'd been there all day and they had, the kid looked like he was ready to drop but smiled quite happily.

Respect.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 61
RE: We Will Remember Them - 11/11/2008 8:04:02 PM   
Mozza

My Granddad on my mum's side was in North Africa.  He was assigned to guard the king of Egypt, and received fresh fruit and excess meat daily.  However, one day he walked in on his royal highness mid coitus, which promptly led to a fatwa being put on him and his unit for interrupting the royal flow (not their words, I assure you).  He was rewarded with being put into France.

My Granddad on my dad's side was captured in France.  He escaped and worked with the German resistance to disrupt troop movements for the rest of the war.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 62
RE: We Will Remember Them - 11/11/2008 11:38:53 PM   
Why Register?

During the 2 minutes silence today I'll admit I didn't know what the fuck was going on for the first 45 seconds or so. Embarrassing really.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 63
RE: We Will Remember Them - 12/11/2008 10:16:49 AM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

My Granddad on my mum's side was in North Africa.  He was assigned to guard the king of Egypt, and received fresh fruit and excess meat daily.  However, one day he walked in on his royal highness mid coitus, which promptly led to a fatwa being put on him and his unit for interrupting the royal flow (not their words, I assure you).  He was rewarded with being put into France.

My Granddad on my dad's side was captured in France.  He escaped and worked with the German resistance to disrupt troop movements for the rest of the war.

That's amazing. Now there's a life that deserves a movie.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 64
We Will Remember Them - 2/11/2009 2:17:30 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I know I'm early this year, but I thought if I bumped this thread beforehand, any newcomers since last year might be able to contribute, and also for anyone else to read through some of the amazing stories collected here over the last two years.

Remembrance Sunday is this coming Sunday. I'm going to the service in the morning and then watching J'Accuse in the afternoon, a 3hr film from 1919, which is "a pacifist romantic drama set against the horrors of the First World War. Work on the film began in 1918 with some scenes filmed on real battlefields using real soldiers, many of whom were to die in later fighting. It portrays wartime suffering with incredible realism, and its climactic sequence of the ‘return of the dead’, made it an international success, making Gance one of the most important directors in Europe." (Quote taken from www.watershed.co.uk, the cinema where it's being shown.)

We Will Remember Them

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 65
RE: We Will Remember Them - 2/11/2009 8:20:04 AM   
borstal

I put a poppy on my av about a week ago and the borstal family are all wearing theirs now.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 66
RE: We Will Remember Them - 2/11/2009 8:34:25 AM   
pedros

I bought my first poppy a week ago, then lost it on the tube coming home drunk last Thursday so bought another one the next day. I was surprised at how few people had them on, but i'm seeing more and more of them now in the run up to this Sunday.

My grandfather was Dutch and fought in Indonesia. I never really asked him about it but he did show me a picture once - he was stood bare-chested in the jungle with his unit around him, carrying a fuck-off gun and looking hard as fucking nails!!! A complete contrast to the lovely old man that I knew. I also know that he saw Hitler on 2 occasions, though I'm not sure where, I wish I'd found out more about that.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 67
RE: We Will Remember Them - 2/11/2009 10:27:20 AM   
Meve

My Granddad was in the army in WWII and I'm super proud of him
He never really talked about it, as I guess is the case for most people who have seen such horrors, but he especially didn't like to talk about it in front of me, as the only girl in my family, so my brothers and my Dad heard many more stories than I when he was alive.

He was at Dunkirk and missed the evacuating boats with his mate Spadger so had to find another way out, which ended up with him on a boat that was torpedoed, he survived and got back to Blighty to be posted on the Arandora Star, a cruise ship taking prisoners of war (or rather anyone of German and Italian descent) out of the UK, which was then sunk by a German Sub.
I think that was one of his most haunting experiences, not only surviving 2 torpedoes but guarding, and watching the death of so many civilians who he felt should not be being shipped out the country anyway. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Arandora_Star)

I guess thats the only real story I know, other than bits and pieces and watching the death of some of his best friends. My Granddad was an amazing man though, very witty and amazingly hospitable, and it saddens me that it was only really in the last legs of his life that I started realising that and getting to know him.
Most of my childhood visits were spent with him teaching my brothers and I the merits of whiskey, which I only started liking a week after his death, and as silly as it sounds, I totally wish he'd been alive because he would have been happy to see me sipping the stuff.

Dance with the Thunder and Lightning
Post #: 68
RE: We Will Remember Them - 2/11/2009 11:38:01 AM   
Drone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

GRRR some people make me want to put my foot in their arse. We had the annoncment for two minutes silence come over the tanoy, at work.  What did the people in the next office do?  All start talking about drivel that could wait for a two minutes.

Well it's a bit hypocritical to not respect that, isn't it?  People fought and died - more bravely than any of us will ever comprehend in our lifetimes, for our freedom, and our rights to live our lives as we see fit - you can't then lambast people because they choose not to acknowledge this, because in their 'lack of respect;' if you will, they are paying the ultimate gratitude.

We now live in a country where we are free to choose if we commemorate those heroes or not.  Persecuting those individuals who don't, is against everything that was fought for and won. 

'Hey asshole you will respect that you now have the freedom and right to an opinion of your own without persecution, or I will kick your ass and make you respect it'.

Don't you see the irony?

I don't wear a poppy, because I have that choice in a free country.  I appreciate what was won - and lost - by iving my life in the free world every day.  It's my choice, because I was afforded that choice by a lot of people with buckets of honour and bravery - but I don't think they would be impressed if everything they fought for, was completely tossed away by then persecuting anybody not prepared to take part in a ceremony to commemorate it - be it wearing a poppy, taking part in a silence, or othwerwise.

If somebody does't appreciate it - well, that's fine - because had things gone differently, their vocal disprespect may have gotten them imprisoned, killed, who knows.  We're better than that, and people respect it even if they don't realise it.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 69
RE: We Will Remember Them - 2/11/2009 11:55:09 AM   
Drone

Just to double post - please don't be under the impression I am being awkward because I feel this way, although I don't take part in any commemoration, I have 110% respect for everyone who fought, lost their lives, or are still living to this day. 

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 70
RE: We Will Remember Them - 2/11/2009 12:06:00 PM   
superdan

My Grandma's brother and brother-in-law both served in the Navy during WWII, and my Grandad served in North Africa as one of the Desert Rats. He died when I was only 11 and I wish I could have been old enough to appreciate what he did and talk to him about it, though he may might not have wanted to. According to my Grandma, the war had a profound effect on my Grandad and he never really got over his experiences - he became an alcoholic (as did my Gran's brother) and used to think he was back at war when heavily into the bottle. He would also take about an hour to eat his dinner, because he said they had such unbelievably bad food that they had to wolf down that he vowed he would never take a good meal for granted.

There's load of poppies being sold around in Hull, which is great to see. Because of what people did nearly 70 years ago, we'll most likely never have to be forced to leave home and family to fight for our freedom. We owe them a lot.

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 71
RE: We Will Remember Them - 2/11/2009 12:19:03 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Just out of curiosity, Drone, but do you still pop your change in the little buckets where they sell the Poppies even if you don't take one? I always end up picking up a few because I invariably lose them (already lost my first one), but I figure it's all going to charity anyway so I never begrudge going back for another.

I see what you mean about the freedom to choose, but I don't see the problem of stopping your lives for 2 minutes a year - that's 0.0004% of your life - to reflect, dwell upon, and consider what happened for us.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 72
RE: We Will Remember Them - 2/11/2009 5:35:52 PM   
enforcer

I think any silence, regardless of who it is for should be respected. I'm not a royalist, but I respectedthe silences for Princess Diana, Anne an the Queen Mother whilst at various events...not because I agree with the royal family, but to respect the dead.

Even if you don't agree with why the silence is held you should at least have the decency to respect it.

Personally I will observe it and use the time to reflect on those who have given their lives for our country.

I will remember.

Post #: 73
We Will Remember Them. - 11/11/2009 7:17:56 AM   
homersimpson_esq

We will remember them.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to enforcer)
Post #: 74
RE: We Will Remember Them. - 11/11/2009 8:44:30 AM   
Sinatra

I've spent £4 on poppies so far, bloody things keep falling off....

Post #: 75
RE: We Will Remember Them. - 11/11/2009 8:50:50 AM   
Sway

Well since my first post in this thread last year, my Grandad has passed away and as is quite sadly often the case, I've learned more about what exactly he did during WWII since he passed on than when he was alive.  Turns out he was a wireless operator in the RAF and his squadron flew on SOE related missions - supplying them behind enemy lines.  I'm very proud of him and will always remember the part he had to play in the war at this time of year.

I was fortunate to visit Belgium in Easter this year where I went to Ypres and visited the Flanders Field Museum as well as the Tynecot Memorial and the Menin Gate, all of which were completely humbling.  My knowledge of WWI has always been considerably less than that of WWII but the trip really hammered home the exact cost of WWI and just how unthinkable a second war on such a scale was percieved to be at that time.

Anyway, I know the most well known poem of WWI would be Wilfred Owens 'Dulce et Decorum est', but my personal favourite is John McCrae's 'In Flanders Fields' which I'd like to share with you all incase somebody out there hasn't read it before.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Tyne Cot Cemetery & Memorial, Zonnebeke, Flanders.

(Their Name Liveth For Evermore)

Tyne Cot Cemetery & Memorial.

One of several smaller cemetaries dotted around Flanders fields.

Menin Gate, Ypres

< Message edited by Sway -- 11/11/2009 12:30:36 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 76
RE: We Will Remember Them. - 11/11/2009 9:16:07 AM   
sharkboy

There are few things more poignant, more likely to bring home the sacrifice of the brave people who gave their lives for our liberty, than a visit to a war cemetary.  My mother tells the tale of the time she had taken a couple of dozen teenage girls to Holland on a girls club summer holiday.  While on one of their daily outings, she took them to visit Oosterbeek, where the Arnhem war cemetery is located.  To say they didn't want to go would be an understatement - this was a bus full of 13-17yr old girls from the inner city, the last thing they wanted to do on a hot summers day in the middle of their holiday was to spend the day walking round graves.  After being given a brief history to the raid, my mum just told them to take a walk around and read the headstones.  After a few minutes a lot were in tears as they realised that the men lying there were often their own age, or the age of their older brothers or boyfriends.  Many of the girls thanked the organisers of the trip, and even asked to go again the following year.

We will remember them.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 77
RE: We Will Remember Them. - 11/11/2009 2:20:50 PM   
Harley Quinn

Sway, I love Flanders Field it makes me cry every time I read it.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 78
RE: We Will Remember Them. - 11/11/2009 3:09:54 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Was in Leicester Market at 11 o'clock today, was fantastically observed by the majority of people there. Everyone stood and just bowed their heads. Nice to see such displays even after all this time.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 79
RE: We Will Remember Them. - 11/11/2009 3:14:05 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Not sure this is the appropriate thread for this but as I was walking away afterwards there was a chap speaking, he was talking about everyone who died in all the wars obviously including Iraq and Afghanistan. First time I felt a bit guilty, thinking of ourselves as the aggressors in those last two, didn't quite add up in my head. World War 1 and 2 seem to equate to bravery and tragedy in my head, I'm not sure Iraq and Afghanistan fit in as well.

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 80
RE: We Will Remember Them - 11/11/2009 3:26:01 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drone

We now live in a country where we are free to choose if we commemorate those heroes or not.  Persecuting those individuals who don't, is against everything that was fought for and won. 

I don't wear a poppy, because I have that choice in a free country.  I appreciate what was won - and lost - by iving my life in the free world every day.  It's my choice, because I was afforded that choice by a lot of people with buckets of honour and bravery - but I don't think they would be impressed if everything they fought for, was completely tossed away by then persecuting anybody not prepared to take part in a ceremony to commemorate it - be it wearing a poppy, taking part in a silence, or othwerwise.

Once again, Northern Ireland offers an interesting little tangent along these lines. BBC Northern Ireland follows the lead of the BBC in compelling their presenters, and indeed most guests, to wear poppies, even going to the extent of pinning one to the lapels of people without asking.
For a public body that prides itself on impartiality, this seems rather draconian and particularly rankles in NI, where poppy-wearing is widely considered to have unionist overtones and can therefore be construed as divisive.

Another interesting little development is that the University of Ulster Student Union recently voted to allow the sale of Easter lily badges (which primarily commemorates Irish Republicans who died during the 1916 Easter rising, but which is also considered a political emblem in NI) as well as poppies, a decision which has prompted no end of debate, finger-pointing, sobbing in the toilets and opinion pieces in the media.

On yet another note, The Green Fields of France, written by Eric Bogle and sang by any number of artists, remains the most moving song about WWI

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 81
RE: We Will Remember Them - 11/11/2009 4:11:14 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I was at work at 11am, and even though it was packed for an unrelated ceremony (the Remembrance Day service was on Sunday) it came to a complete standstill for 2 minutes.

I watched Atonement this afternoon, and that 4min30sec tracking shot at Dunkirk never fails to move me.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 82
RE: We Will Remember Them - 11/11/2009 4:22:02 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

So moved you got out a stopwatch?

horribleives

Post #: 83
RE: We Will Remember Them - 11/11/2009 5:19:45 PM   
Funkyrae

We had a remembrance assembly at school today. Not quite the usual thing you used to have in school where you were bored rigid, this one had a play that had been organised, a rendition of We'll Meet Again and a WWII veteran talking about his experiences. Not a dry eye in the house, it was just the most moving thing I think I've ever seen. Especially when one of the girls sung solo with pictures of all the soldiers who have died in Afghanistan since 2003. Heartbreaking stuff.

The silence we had wasn't really that silent. All the snuffling from the crying took over.

That's me that is!

Post #: 84
RE: We Will Remember Them - 11/11/2010 12:31:03 PM   
homersimpson_esq

We will remember them.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 85
RE: We Will Remember Them. - 11/11/2010 12:57:17 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

Not sure this is the appropriate thread for this but as I was walking away afterwards there was a chap speaking, he was talking about everyone who died in all the wars obviously including Iraq and Afghanistan. First time I felt a bit guilty, thinking of ourselves as the aggressors in those last two, didn't quite add up in my head. World War 1 and 2 seem to equate to bravery and tragedy in my head, I'm not sure Iraq and Afghanistan fit in as well.

Regardless of your views on the government's decision to go into those wars, it does not make the lives lost any less signficant and it greatly disappoints me that this is such a common view these days.

My thoughts and feelings are with every man and woman, and their families, who have lost their lives during war.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 86
RE: We Will Remember Them. - 11/11/2010 1:00:32 PM   
matty_b

Tonight I shall be watching the final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth in tribute.

Had an impeccable two minutes silence at work, too.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 87
RE: We Will Remember Them. - 11/11/2010 1:20:51 PM   
white mage

My great grand feather died in the second world war through mustard gas and my granddad fought in Durma against the Japenese. So every Remebrerance day I buy a poppy and join in the moment of silence. Please also do not forget the brave men and women fighting as we speak in Afganistan.

We do not write the songs, we live them

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 88
RE: We Will Remember Them. - 11/11/2010 2:28:31 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

Regardless of your views on the government's decision to go into those wars, it does not make the lives lost any less signficant and it greatly disappoints me that this is such a common view these days.

My thoughts and feelings are with every man and woman, and their families, who have lost their lives during war.

Love to talk to you about this but I wrote that a year ago and this is not the appropriate thread.

horribleives

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 89
RE: We Will Remember Them. - 11/11/2010 2:40:58 PM   
JIm R

God bless Grandad and your like, you'll never be forgotten, on this day or any other for what you did for us all.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: We Will Remember Them Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI