Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 9:15:17 AM   
Biggus

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/7078455.stm

A young mother has died just hours after giving birth to twins because her Jehovah's Witness faith prevented her from accepting a blood transfusion.

So now her twins will grow up motherless because of this?!?! I find it hard to accept that people agree this a responsible course of action regardless of religious beliefs.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/
Post #: 1
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 9:21:58 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/7078455.stm

A young mother has died just hours after giving birth to twins because her Jehovah's Witness faith prevented her from accepting a blood transfusion.

So now her twins will grow up motherless because of this?!?! I find it hard to accept that people agree this a responsible course of action regardless of religious beliefs.

It is a terrible circumstance. But they just do not accept blood transfusions. My mothers friend became a Jehovahs witness and she died as she would not accept blood. I am not sure if it was due to her giving birth I think it may have been. There were no complications she just needed to replace some blood that was lost. But she refused it.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 2
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 9:59:57 AM   
Felix

Saving your life is a sin? How can people honestly believe that any god would want that? That any god would rather you died than lived so that you could care for your newborn twins?

Acts like this leave me speechless. How can we live in a world where a faith would rather let a young woman who has just become a mother of two die, than receive such simple treatment as a blood transfusion. Because of a book written by word of mouth over two thousand years ago?

Words fail me.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 3
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 10:03:38 AM   
Woger

Where she's going she doesn't need blood.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 4
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 10:12:27 AM   
DJ Satan

Darwinism in action.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 5
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 10:23:47 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

It's simple really, take the blood even thought it's a sin and do something nice for someone. You know help an old lady across the road, protest against homosexuality you know one of the things God actually approves of. God is suppose to be all forgiving so just slip an extra fiver in the collection at church and say a few more prayers once a day.

My philosophy is simple: I don't believe in any God that would send me to hell.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 6
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 10:29:03 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in hell anyway.

Free choice an' all. I would never accept blood transfusions either - chiefly 'cause you never know what's hanging around in another persons blood. So it's a safeguard.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 7
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 10:32:25 AM   
Biggus

I'd only refuse a transfusion if this bloke was the donor...

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 8
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 10:37:00 AM   
DJ Satan

People would pay good money for a transfusion from him. The high you would get must be out of this world.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 9
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 10:38:05 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Free choice an' all. I would never accept blood transfusions either - chiefly 'cause you never know what's hanging around in another persons blood. So it's a safeguard.

Absolute tosh. Have you ever been to give blood?

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 10
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 10:43:00 AM   
ilovebeerme

quote:

quote:

What does it matter what is hanging around in their blood if the other choice is death? It's also more than a tad paranoid to think that you would catch anything.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

Post #: 11
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 10:44:49 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovebeerme

quote:

quote:

What does it matter what is hanging around in their blood if the other choice is death? It's also more than a tad paranoid to think that you would catch anything.

Good point.

"No thanks, I dont want that blood, I might get ill from it. I'd rather die thanks."

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 12
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 10:46:55 AM   
Phil884

quote:

It's simple really, take the blood even thought it's a sin and do something nice for someone. You know help an old lady across the road, protest against homosexuality you know one of the things God actually approves of. God is suppose to be all forgiving so just slip an extra fiver in the collection at church and say a few more prayers once a day.

I understood from my religious fiancée that Jesus died for our sins. The reason for this was because God recognised that all humans make mistakes/sin so he sent his son to die for these so that if we are truly sorry we will be forgiven. That’s the deal. (If it’s not, then I should listen more!) Now, I treat this with extreme prejudice and (cynically) interpret it as a get out of jail free card, providing for people to do whatever they please on the basis that as long as they’re all sorry, they will all be forgiven due to JC’s sacrifice. However, irrespective of my scepticism, the point is that if this woman believed in this, couldn’t she have accepted blood (which to her is a sin, if not to saner members of the human race) but one for which she is truly sorry - but she has two new children to care for so arguably it’s a necessary sin? Nevertheless, she is truly sorry for it and so ought to be forgiven under the “rule”. Instead, the poor woman has needlessly died, leaving two kids without a mother, which is, in my opinion only, irresponsible in the least and at the other extreme, insanity.

I accept nothing from a man who imprisons his guests in a commode

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 13
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 10:55:50 AM   
ilovebeerme

She could have even perhaps taken the blood and then spent the rest of her life doing good works, tending to the sick, helping the poor and making little carts for dogs with no back legs. I'm sure God would rather have her dead and rotting though. That's better than helping the poor and the little legless doggies.

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 14
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 10:58:14 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good point.

"No thanks, I dont want that blood, I might get ill from it. I'd rather die thanks."

The fact is that the "screening process" for blood transfusions is thin. An old friend of mine contracted AIDs after having one when she did not consent to it. There are better and healthier alternatives on a day-to-day basis than having a transfusion.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 15
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 10:59:20 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

To be fair she probably expected the big man to step in a miraculously cure her. She's probably a tad put out now. I bet it will be like that old joke,

A lady was dying on a life support machine. The doctor came to her and said "we need to give you some blood or you will die", the lady believing in God said "no, my faith is strong God will not let me die". Two hours later the woman is getitng worse, a second doctor says "we really need to give you some blood or you will die, there is nothing more we can do". The woman looks up and says "Doctor, I have been to church every day of my life, God will take care of me". A little later a preist comes to her and says "Please, take the blood transfusion, it will let you live" the woman turns to him and says "My faith remain with me, God will not let me die". A little while later she dies.

When she gets to heaven she marches up to St Peter and says "St Peter I've been a good christian all my life, why didn't God help me?". St Peter turns to her and says "We sent two doctors and a priest, what more do you want?"

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 16
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:00:27 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

The fact is that the "screening process" for blood transfusions is thin. An old friend of mine contracted AIDs after having one when she did not consent to it.

When did that happen?

quote:

There are better and healthier alternatives on a day-to-day basis than having a transfusion.

Not if you've had massive blood loss.

horribleives

Post #: 17
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:02:09 AM   
ilovebeerme

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good point.

The fact is that the "screening process" for blood transfusions is thin. An old friend of mine contracted AIDs after having one when she did not consent to it. There are better and healthier alternatives on a day-to-day basis than having a transfusion.

No, the facts are that thousands and thousands are carried out every day and an infinitesimal number of people catch something.
Once again, if the alternative is death wouldn't you be a little bit better off with HIV and another 20+ years?

Post #: 18
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:03:16 AM   
Phil884

Indeed. I realised a long time ago that even if I were to give my time, energies, pitiful wealth and internal organs to the poor and needy (legless doggies included), I’d still be sent to the pit because I don’t believe in the good Lord. Whereas Myra Hindley and the other bastards of history get to kick it up there as long as, wait for it, that’s right, they were sorry in the end.

I accept nothing from a man who imprisons his guests in a commode

Post #: 19
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:21:56 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

quote:

Absolute tosh. Have you ever been to give blood?

I give blood. It makes me feel all smug and superior.

Sorry that sounds like I'm having a go at people who give blood and I'm not, that's honestly how it makes me feel. Plus you get free biscuits, they aren't brilliant like jaffa cakes or anything but they are free.

for the record I don't have HIV so anyone getting vintage Mortal, is not only getting a premier cru (it's got a bit of a kick because I drink so much liquor) it's also not got any hepetitis or HIV in it. Great stuff.

horribleives

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 20
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:22:41 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

No, the facts are that thousands and thousands are carried out every day and an infinitesimal number of people catch something.
Once again, if the alternative is death wouldn't you be a little bit better off with HIV and another 20+ years?

Personally (and probably rather controversially) I'd rather the alternative of death. That's my experience though and my own choice. Of course thousands upon thousands of people have transfusions every day since doctors have said they're perfectly safe and harmless (of course these are the same people who thought blood-letting was the way to go 50 years ago and that the earth was flat, but who am I to judge).

But I think it's only half the reason this particular woman chose not to have the transfusion. It's a matter of faith - not because she was waiting for some divine intervention - but because the Bible clearly states that you should abstain from blood. That's the crux of the matter and why so many find it difficult to understand.

< Message edited by Jessica_ca_ca_ca -- 5/11/2007 11:23:27 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:28:13 AM   
Felix

quote:

quote:

Personally (and probably rather controversially) I'd rather the alternative of death. That's my experience though and my own choice. Of course thousands upon thousands of people have transfusions every day since doctors have said they're perfectly safe and harmless (of course these are the same people who thought blood-letting was the way to go 50 years ago and that the earth was flat, but who am I to judge).

I'm pretty certain that the doctors who said the earth was flat and used blood letting all died a fair while ago and the doctors who say blood transfusions are safe do so with the backing of lots of research, and the fact that lots of them occur each day without problems.

quote:

Personally (and probably rather controversially) I'd rather the alternative of death.

Do you have family? Do they know this? I find it rather alarming and sadly quite selfish.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 22
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:39:53 AM   
Peppermint

quote:

But I think it's only half the reason this particular woman chose not to have the transfusion. It's a matter of faith - not because she was waiting for some divine intervention - but because the Bible clearly states that you should abstain from blood. That's the crux of the matter and why so many find it difficult to understand.

I think bloodletting stopped much longer ago than 50 years, Jess.

Kilo: I looked into giving blood and they told me I wasn't allowed as I'd had a blood transfusion (on the official website, that is) .  If that wasn't the case, I might still have done it, despite my phobia about needles.  Oh and the fact that it takes ages for anyone to get any blood out of my veins.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

Post #: 23
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:40:53 AM   
ilovebeerme

quote:

No, doctors haven't said they are harmless and safe, theyare harmless and safe. If thousands are given every day and a tiny tiny number of people get sick then it's safe. If 20% of people got something then it would be very unsafe. That's just the facts.
Blood letting 50 years ago? Ok then…...

Absolutely it's her choice and she should be allowed to make it. It doesn't stop it being extremely selfish and completely barking mental though. It's yet another case of certain religious groups picking and choosing what suits them from what is supposed to be the word of God. Bottom line is she is now rotting away ina grave and there are two kids out there without a mum. Who the hell would want to worship a God that demanded that?

Post #: 24
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:44:47 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

I think bloodletting stopped much longer ago than 50 years, Jess.

Hey, I'm allowed to embellish  It was a throwaway statement. I just meant that there are consequences to everything you do. How would you know what's in everyone else's blood? Do you trust scientists and doctors that much to put your life in their hands beyond the necessary? Geez, this is far too deep for a Monday morning.

Felix - Yep, my family know I wouldn't ever have blood transfusions. The chances of me having one are slim and I've signed up for alternatives with my GP etc. That's sad and selfish me, I guess.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 25
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:47:28 AM   
theram05

quote:

quote:

So you'd die instead of taking the chance?

Smart....

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

Post #: 26
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:47:56 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

It's a matter of faith - not because she was waiting for some divine intervention - but because the Bible clearly states that you should abstain from blood.

Clearly states!? What does the bible ever clearly state, the bible is talking about eating things not blood transfusion. You don't see Witnesses protesting outside black puddings shops though do you, no that probably wouldn't leave people to die. God demands blood doesn't he, actual death? Rubbish I've read the bible and if people actually, and I mean actually listened to Jesus the world would be a very nice place.
Classic Leviticus rubbish (if I could do one thing for christianity it would be to chop out that bit of the bible - it's barking mad)
how about this verse, is this a clear way to live your life?

"Everyone, whether a native or an alien, who eats of an animal that died of itself or was killed by a wild beast, shall wash his garments, bathe in water, and be unclean until evening, and then he will be clean.

horribleives

Post #: 27
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:49:55 AM   
theram05

quote:

Personally (and probably rather controversially) I'd rather the alternative of death.

How THATS Darwinism.

< Message edited by theram05 -- 5/11/2007 11:50:23 AM >

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

Post #: 28
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:55:56 AM   
Felix

quote:

Hey, I'm allowed to embellish  It was a throwaway statement. I just meant that there are consequences to everything you do. How would you know what's in everyone else's blood? Do you trust scientists and doctors that much to put your life in their hands beyond the necessary? Geez, this is far too deep for a Monday morning.

Because...

quote:

The record is exceptionally good. Last year patients received over three million units of blood and blood products. Out of these, hospitals reported only 315 transfusion-related problems.

Of these, 213 were caused by human error at the hospital, 96 were patients experiencing some form of reaction against the 'foreign' blood and only six were due to an infection transmitted from the transfusion. Although these figures are low, we are constantly working to reduce them further.

Questions, questions!
All donors give their blood for free - This is the first major step towards safe blood.

Many of you ask 'why do you ask us all those questions before we give blood'? The answer is very simple. It helps us to ensure you will not become unwell after donating, and to choose 'safer' donors. Regular donors are especially important to us, as we know their history (sorry, you still have to answer all the questions though!)

Wading through the questions can be frustrating but your answers allow us to defer donors who have a higher risk of carrying a blood borne infection, because of their lifestyle, medical or travel history. Not all infections make you feel unwell, and until your body has produced antibodies or enough of the virus to be detected, the blood safety tests back in our labs will not reveal their presence. This gap between exposure and the test picking it up is known as the 'window period'. If your answers suggest you may have been exposed to infection, we will defer you.

Another infection risk comes from the bacteria found on skin. Allowing those bugs, although harmless to you, to get into the donation could be fatal to a patient. Hence the careful arm-cleaning.

Even the collection pack has safety devices attached to it. Next time you give blood take a look. There's a pouch that prevents the tiny piece of skin from the needle and the first few drops of blood from getting into the bag. Another attachment is the filter, this at a later stage removes white cells from the blood. This is an additional precautionary safety measure.

Each time you give blood we take blood samples for safety tests back in our labs. These tests look for infections that can be passed from donor to patient. The blood is kept in a quarantine fridge until all the tests are completed with negative results. Then the blood is labelled with its blood group and becomes ready for issue to the hospital.

The packs we use are sealed, which means the contents are not exposed until they are transfused. Not only that, throughout their life they are stored in a suitable environment that is temperature controlled. The right temperature is important to help keep the cells alive, inhibit bacterial growth, and help the filters to work.

After your donation, you still play a vital part in blood safety. Please contact us if you develop any illness (except a simple cold) within two weeks of giving blood. So, for example, if you come down with a stomach bug, it's possible that the infection was in your blood when you donated. It could potentially harm the patient who receives your blood so we must trace your donation and hopefully stop it being used for transfusion.

Computer tracking
We can easily find it by using PULSE, our computer system which tracks the progress of a pack of blood from the time it leaves your arm to the time it is transfused to a patient. This is all possible because of the unique donation number, which is issued at a session. Our operational procedures make sure the labels with this number and bar code are correctly placed on the blood bag and samples.

Of course all of these procedures, tests and checks are controlled by UK and EU guidelines. We are also regularly checked by government inspectors.

The safety of our donors and our blood is extremely important. So next time we ask you 'all those questions' please remember, it's both for your benefit and that of the patient whose life you are helping to save.

More can be found out at www.blood.co.uk

quote:

Do you trust scientists and doctors that much to put your life in their hands beyond the necessary?

I'd argue that it doesnt get much more 'necessary' than saving my life.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 29
RE: Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion - 5/11/2007 11:59:44 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

That’s like believing everything you read (or watch) until they discover there’s something wrong with it. Ok, ok, I’m a conspiracy theorist in general.

I was merely trying to see her point of view in this - someone who’s penalised for their beliefs - which I think is a balanced debate, so sue me. I have no idea how this got onto me barring the fact that I would personally not choose to have a certain type of treatment. Honestly, what do you lot care?

The sad part of this is the twins who grow up without a mother. If there were “complications” in the delivery it’d still be the same situation... but us lot wouldn’t be debating her religion just the fact it’s such an upsetting story to hear.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Mother Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI