Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Elf - 9/12/2005 10:08:44 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Elf - 8/2/2006 1:47:26 PM   
DanielFullard

Elf
I noticed this was on Sky this morning and for some reason I decided to sit down and watch it. I had just done 2 hours work on a Uni Essay and needed some light relief and escapism. And this provided that. Ferrell drives the Movie and everything that is funny in the film is down to him. The script and plot is nothing special and infact other than Ferrell its rather a nothing film. Obviously it is best watched at Xmas time but it still has the feel-good warmth about it on a cold February morning. I wouldn't want to see it again until at least Christmas but it served its purpose by making my unwind and laugh out a loud a few times.

5.5/10

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.
Post #: 2
RE: Elf - 9/2/2006 8:07:30 AM   
Funkyrae

I love this film!  Maybe I'm just a schmaltzy person but I get goosebumps every time Zooey Deschanel starts singing!  It's one of the only recent Christmas films that actually has any feeling of magic in it.  I've lost count of how many times I've watched this with my daughter and I know it will be a firm Christmas favourite.

That's me that is!

(in reply to DanielFullard)
Post #: 3
RE: Elf - 9/2/2006 8:20:46 AM   
Indio

Elf is a great little film, one of the best Christmas films of recent years. As with just about any Christmas film,you'll enjoy it more watching it at Christmas time, nothing gets me more depressed than watching festive films a few months after the event.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 4
RE: Elf - 9/2/2006 8:34:03 AM   
DanielFullard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

I love this film!  Maybe I'm just a schmaltzy person but I get goosebumps every time Zooey Deschanel starts singing!  It's one of the only recent Christmas films that actually has any feeling of magic in it.  I've lost count of how many times I've watched this with my daughter and I know it will be a firm Christmas favourite.

Those ending moments do have a sense of 'Christmas magic' that a lot of filmakers just cannot do. I know the film Christmas with the Kranks was rather shit but the end did have the Christmassy feeling like Elf has.

"Does Syrup have Sugar in it?"

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 5
RE: Elf - 9/2/2006 9:57:49 AM   
AgentGoth

This film is great!

"You sit on a throne of lies!"

"SANNNNNTTTTTAAAA!!! I KNOW HIM!!"

I love Will Ferrell in this.

"Sheriff Perry! You are violating my territorial bubble!"

Post #: 6
RE: Elf - 9/2/2006 10:00:00 AM   
DanielFullard

quote:

ORIGINAL: AgentGoth

"You sit on a throne of lies!"

Yeh that was great

And when he gets run ober by the taxi and starts apologising

(in reply to AgentGoth)
Post #: 7
RE: Elf - 9/2/2006 10:10:57 AM   
AgentGoth

That snowball fight was also awesome.

"Sheriff Perry! You are violating my territorial bubble!"

Post #: 8
RE: Elf - 9/2/2006 12:27:20 PM   
Funkyrae

The decorating the shop overnight

"it's got to be someone from corporate trying to make me look bad"

That's me that is!

(in reply to AgentGoth)
Post #: 9
RE: Elf - 9/2/2006 12:56:10 PM   
DanielFullard

...and drinking all that coke in one one go.....and then letting off a huge burp....."Did you hear that?"

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 10
Elf: More Of The Same. - 12/7/2010 2:19:53 PM   
LUCASLITTLEWOOD

I really get bored of Christmas films as they are all the same, I thought that this was going to be something different but it really wasn't. Another Christmas film a with a stereotypical happy ending, mediocre acting and bad singing. Luckily I cannot see a sequel but I can see more films like this with Ferrell in. Oh dear.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 11
A Refreshing Christmas Comedy - 30/7/2012 5:28:47 PM   
JHFilmReviews

The Christmas TV and cinema schedule is littered with the same old films, whether they're classics (A Miracle On 34th Street) or downright droll (the dreadful TV film Home Alone 4) but it is always given the light with Elf.
This is an engine of festive comedy and it is fuelled by Ferrell's undoubtedly comical POV of modern life through the eyes of an outsider. The supply runs dry at times and some slightly awkward moments slip in. But, nevertheless, this is a warm-hearted film with a good amount of laughs and an amazing performance from Ferrell and Deschanel.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Elf Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI