Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sky HD

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> RE: Sky HD Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sky HD - 2/4/2010 12:22:14 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

I've noticed recently when watching Football on the Sky Sports HD channels there is, what I can only describe as a stutter/shake to the players/ball. It's not constant but only every now and again and sometimes it's worse than at other times? Anyone else having this problem?

It's weird as it doesn't happen on the normal Sky Sports channels but only the HD ones. It's not major but it can be really annoying at times....

Not witnessed this problem myself, so I'd probably say there's a good chance of it being specific to your HD box.

That'll be your TV.
TV's traditionally have a screen refresh of 50 times per second (50Hz) which on standard tv is fine.
However, when you have twice the definition on the tv, the tv has to work twice as hard to show the content.
When you're playing video games, watching sports or watching, say a nature show which has big sweeping panoramic views of the country or something, there's a lot more detail to process than a newscaster sat behind a desk.

This means that you sometimes see 'judder' or 'tear' across the screen as the tv isn't refreshing fast enough.

I don't know what size your TV is, but i reckon it's probably got the standard 50Hz refresh rate.
I've just bought a new 42" TV that has 100Hz refresh rate which is amazing, some brands call it 'motion flow' but essentially it's the refresh rate that makes the image look a lot smoother. Some are boasting 200Hz now too, but i think you'd only notice a difference at 37" and above.

I hope that helps!

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 91
RE: Sky HD - 3/4/2010 9:20:33 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

It's 100Hz and it only happens on Sky Sports. When I'm watching football on BBC and ITV HD there isn't a problem. I don't have a problem with video games or any other programmes. Just football on Sky Sports HD.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2008/06/04/Samsung-LE46A656-46in-LCD-TV/p1

That's my TV

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 3/4/2010 9:21:31 AM >

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 92
RE: Sky HD - 3/4/2010 4:24:44 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I have a problem with my HD box, it's actually our second, first was a Thomson pre launch model which died on it's arse, the HDD went eventually, but it kept having to be unplugged to get it going from quite early on in it's life and unfortunately the new Samsung HD box which replaced it is very much the same. Anyone else having these issues?

Sometimes the box hangs, sometimes the info bar will stay on screen or not show up at all, and sometimes it says not receiving any signal (there's nothing wrong with the signal), so I have to unplug the box, leave it for two minutes, then plug it back in, leave it for two minutes then turn it on, and all works fine again. Very annoyed that both boxes have done this and just a little worried this new box is going the way of the old one.

I also have a problem with Sky Sports HD in that Utd look shit on it, I don't mean picture quality I mean the way they play these days

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 3/4/2010 4:25:19 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 93
RE: Sky HD - 1/6/2010 11:09:11 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I'm considering getting the new 1TB Sky HD box as I seem to be running out of room quite a bit on my current box. I don't want to have to record things in SD just to save space.

Do you guys think Sky will ever drop the HD subscription charge anytime soon? It's got to come hasn't it?

Post #: 94
RE: Sky HD - 2/6/2010 10:59:24 AM   
gingerdaniel

I can't see it dropping soon, they're still advertising to get football fans on it ready for the World Cup.

I had a rare moment last night, recording two channels  (Smallville and The Pacific) and watched a third (CSI: Miami) on the tv's built in freeview. Normal tv looks shit. Especially on our 42" Hitachi.

Post #: 95
RE: Sky HD - 2/6/2010 7:49:42 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I meant soon as in within the next year or so

Post #: 96
RE: Sky HD Anytime Plus - 2/6/2010 10:18:45 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cinema/news/2010/06/02/Sky-Unveils-On-Demand-Download-Service/p1

Sky broadband connection required, that's crap

Post #: 97
RE: Sky HD Anytime Plus - 3/6/2010 12:11:15 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cinema/news/2010/06/02/Sky-Unveils-On-Demand-Download-Service/p1

Thats ridiculous. And there's no real reason for it either! We just got rid of sky broadband after they hiked the price up to £14.99 a month (from £4.99), and sifned with o2 for twelve months. We're seriously considering getting rid of Sky though, its proved nothing but trouble since we went HD last May.

Post #: 98
RE: Sky HD Anytime Plus - 3/6/2010 12:19:50 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I've never had a problem with my Sky TV service but I never really wanted to change my broadband to them. I''m with O2 and have been for 18months. They're fantastic. I've only ever had one problem and a quick call to customer services sorted that out easily. The customer service is second to none and by far the best I've had from any ISP. I'll just have to wait and hope Sky change their stance on it as the article suggests as it would be quite a handy on demand service.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 99
RE: Sky HD Anytime Plus - 3/6/2010 12:20:19 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Thats ridiculous. And there's no real reason for it either! We just got rid of sky broadband after they hiked the price up to £14.99 a month (from £4.99), and sifned with o2 for twelve months. We're seriously considering getting rid of Sky though, its proved nothing but trouble since we went HD last May.

Can you elaborate a bit? What's your issue? Not the same as ours is it?

I love Sky HD, couldn't go without... But we've had HD since the preview program about 6 months before it was available for purchase to the general public, and that box suffered from crashing/freezing/locking up and it eventually died after some HDD trouble. Towards the end of last year we got the box replaced and it's been better but there are still times when we need to unplug it from the wall and reboot it to stop it from locking up.

I really don't know if this is bad luck or the boxes are a bit cheap.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 100
RE: Sky HD Anytime Plus - 3/6/2010 8:14:02 AM   
gingerdaniel

I'm buying a house at the moment and am looking at ISP's. Sky offer 2mb for free, or upto 10mb for £5 a month (for sky subscribers). Not bad pricing.
My dad's always had sky broadband and never complained about it.
This'll mean i have access to that On-Demand service. Not that i even use Sky Anytime as it is now. There's ALWAYS a movie on, and usually one i've not seen before. Yesterday i crammed in Bedtime Stories, Who Framed Roger Rabbit as well as Torchwood and The Cleveland Show i had previously recorded. I don't think there's a need for more channels is there?

Post #: 101
RE: Sky HD Anytime Plus - 19/9/2010 4:17:12 PM   
juanvasquez

Has anyone had problems with the EPG freezing or being generally unresponsive? I must have had to reset the Sky box about 6 times this weekend.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 102
RE: Sky HD - 20/9/2010 11:22:55 AM   
Chief

I've been having problems lately. It started off not being able to order Box Office through the box, something about the phone lines. I phoned them and there is problem at present.

Now it seems to be when I go to Anytime I get a black screen with Sky HD Loading or something in white and it just hangs there. I can eventually get back to the planner but I've had to switch it off a couple of times.

Post #: 103
RE: Sky HD - 21/12/2010 1:34:58 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

So what the deal with the Sky remote? It drives me mad, one minute the remote is able to operate the TV, the next minute it won't and I have to put the bloody code in again. I'm sure it's got something to do with the batteries. Pain in the arse.

On the upside there is now a whole host of HD channels available along with a 3D Channel (I don't have a 3D TV yet though) Looking forward to the Sky Atlantic Channel as well.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 104
RE: Sky HD - 21/12/2010 4:25:04 PM   
elab49

Ours keeps freezing just now, but I think it's Sky and/or the Skybox not the actual remote because we used our old one and after a while the same problem happened. It should tell you onscreen if the battery is low. We've been switching it on/off at the wall and trying to get everything off the Sky + before we lose it in case the box is packing in again.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 105
RE: Sky HD - 12/1/2011 6:00:22 PM   
juanvasquez

Could I get away with turning my Sky box on its side? My 360 is very noisy when up right, but quiet as a ninja when laid down, so I'm hoping I can swap them around in my cabinet.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 106
RE: Sky HD - 12/1/2011 8:01:24 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I don't see why it should be a problem but I'm no expert. It's not like it has a disc drive or anything so I can't see what would go wrong really.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 107
RE: Sky HD - 15/1/2011 9:32:14 AM   
Castor Troy

I'm looking at getting Sky after I get married in March and actually have some money. Gonna get the TV, Broadband and Talk package (as those last two are free any way). With the TV I reckon I'll get the Variety and Knowledge pack as well as all the movie channels which I'll probably have to pay for myself cos the GF doesn't see the point. £36.50 yeah boi.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

Post #: 108
RE: Sky HD - 15/1/2011 1:34:37 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

I'm looking at getting Sky after I get married in March and actually have some money. Gonna get the TV, Broadband and Talk package (as those last two are free any way). With the TV I reckon I'll get the Variety and Knowledge pack as well as all the movie channels which I'll probably have to pay for myself cos the GF doesn't see the point. £36.50 yeah boi.

Welcome to the club.

I had to pay the extra £10 a month for HD because my ladyfriend didn't want it. However now she's seen its glory, she's all over it like a wet flannel. Now she pays...

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 109
RE: Sky HD - 29/3/2011 1:31:52 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Has anyone here got the Sky Anytime+ ? I'm really tempted to swap by broadband from O2 to Sky just so I can get this service. I know it's a crafty marketing ploy but the + service looks really useful. Anyone have Sky broadband? Any good?

Post #: 110
RE: Sky HD - 29/3/2011 1:37:44 PM   
elab49

My brother has had the occasional problem with it and found it really difficult to get them to sort it (it had to get to the 'I'm cancelling everything' stage. But it general goes along fine I understand.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 111
RE: Sky HD - 29/3/2011 2:21:18 PM   
Chief

Anytime+ does look good. Question though, is it streaming or is it a larger version of what's already available?

In fact, now that I think about it, how does Anytime work?

I haven't got Sky broadband, despite living no more than 2 miles from a Sky building and a phone exchange it isn't available in my area. I have heard it's got it's problems but then you hear stories like that about every ISP.

Post #: 112
RE: Sky HD - 29/3/2011 3:09:44 PM   
gingerdaniel

I have Anytime+, who wants to touch me?

Our broadband package is up to 20mb, and it's connected right now at 18. Which is pretty good, i love living near the exchange!

Anytime+ gives you loads of options for stuff to watch. Depending on your package options though.
I've got Movies, Music and HD services, so i can watch movies from their back catalog, which is huge! Always a movie on and they add new ones every week. You can kind of use it as a catch-up service too, if you miss boardwalk empire or some of the other popular shows you can still get them on-demand

I've got my sky box connected to a wireless extender, but i'm pretty sure it's using it for this additional content.
Some movies need to be downloaded before watching, some you can watch straight away. Even so, you can start watching downloaded content after 2% is done.

I've actually been reading the free sky magazines that come through the post as they tell you about the good stuff that's coming up so you dont miss it!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 113
RE: Sky HD - 29/3/2011 3:24:41 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I think I'm going to go for it, it wont be costing me any more per month so why not? May as well try and get the most out of the extortionate amount I pay Sky each month. I can only get 3-4meg where I live but by all accounts they're replacing the broadband with superfast fibreoptic cables next year so hopefully that'll improve. Think I'll hard wire it in to get better performance though...

Post #: 114
RE: Sky HD - 29/3/2011 3:48:45 PM   
elab49

DOesn't DL anytime films use up your monthly DL limit?

quote:

Post #: 115
RE: Sky HD - 29/3/2011 3:51:38 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I think it's unlimited, you'd also have a great case if they throttled your speeds because you're using a service they provide and advertise as a package.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 116
RE: Sky HD - 29/3/2011 5:36:02 PM   
gingerdaniel

As shown HERE

Don't forget, downloading Sky Anytime+ programmes counts towards your Sky Broadband monthly usage. Sky Broadband Everyday Lite has usage caps - to download as many programmes as you'd like, dependent on your Sky TV subscription, take Sky Broadband Unlimited.

They say on broadband lite you could watch up to 90 mins of content, with Unlimited, it's unlimited!

Post #: 117
RE: Sky HD - 29/3/2011 5:45:59 PM   
elab49

Isn't there the normal fair use gubbins in there somewhere? One of the reasons I've stayed where I am is because my provider once had a go at me for usage and actually stated an amount for a month in the letter as fair use (I don't think they're generally supposed to do that but it was there, bang to rights for the package). It was an unusual month for me - a lot of time on youtube for something I was doing etc - so I've never moved to a less reliable 'fair use' gubbins provider.

quote:

Post #: 118
RE: Sky HD - 29/3/2011 6:38:25 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Broadband lite really is useless

Post #: 119
RE: Sky HD - 29/3/2011 9:42:29 PM   
gingerdaniel

My nan has broadband lite, it's free and she can do her emails. I dont think she's fully aware of the rest of the internet. Probably best not to show her.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> RE: Sky HD Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI