Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sky HD

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Sky HD Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sky HD - 1/11/2007 5:27:03 PM   
coolstar

Do i need to replace my dish and box to get sky HD ? cant i just change the box ? Thanks

I am going Deep Deep undercover
Post #: 1
RE: Sky HD - 1/11/2007 8:06:28 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

You just need to change the box, the dish and cables running from the dish to the box will still work fine.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 2
RE: Sky HD - 2/11/2007 11:56:04 AM   
coolstar

Thats great will the new box need HDMI cables ??

I am going Deep Deep undercover

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 3
RE: Sky HD - 4/11/2007 12:31:11 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Ours came with one, but that was a month before they officially launched it, it could be different now.

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 4
RE: Sky HD - 11/4/2009 9:00:40 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I took the plunge yesterday and ordered Sky+ HD

49 for the box, free 25 Tesco voucher and 120 cashback via quidco. That 120 pays for the HD subscription charge of 9.75 every month, pretty pleased with that as a deal to be honest. Just hope it's worth it, I do only have a 32" LCD at the moment but am looking to get a 46" in the not too distant future.

Is there anything I should know about Sky HD in general or for when the installer comes? Any tips would be apprieciated.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 5
RE: Sky HD - 11/4/2009 9:38:54 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

49 for the box, free 25 Tesco voucher and 120 cashback via quidco. That 120 pays for the HD subscription charge of 9.75 every month, pretty pleased with that as a deal to be honest. Just hope it's worth it, I do only have a 32" LCD at the moment but am looking to get a 46" in the not too distant future.

Is there anything I should know about Sky HD in general or for when the installer comes? Any tips would be apprieciated.

I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading your TV, Sky HD only outputs at a maximum of 720p/1080i, there's no 1080p. However your Xbox would look very nice on a new bigger TV.

One thing it's not advice, but you will notice it and sort of hate Sky HD for it, is football, once you've seen it in HD, you'll hate having to then watch matches on none HD channels like ITV and Setanta, the difference in quality is staggering and you'll actually wonder how you actually coped with SD football in the first place, it really does just look blurry when you go back to it.

Also, I'm glad to see someone else use quidco, what a great site, you may not get much, but this year I've already earnt 80 cashback, and when you receive it, it just feels like a little extra payday, it's great

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 11/4/2009 9:40:09 AM >

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 6
RE: Sky HD - 14/4/2009 5:19:52 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading your TV, Sky HD only outputs at a maximum of 720p/1080i, there's no 1080p. However your Xbox would look very nice on a new bigger TV.

One thing it's not advice, but you will notice it and sort of hate Sky HD for it, is football, once you've seen it in HD, you'll hate having to then watch matches on none HD channels like ITV and Setanta, the difference in quality is staggering and you'll actually wonder how you actually coped with SD football in the first place, it really does just look blurry when you go back to it.

Also, I'm glad to see someone else use quidco, what a great site, you may not get much, but this year I've already earnt 80 cashback, and when you receive it, it just feels like a little extra payday, it's great

Really, I thought it was 1080p, nevermind though I'm sure it'll look sweet in 720p. The main reason for a new TV is the fact my living room has doubled in size since we moved house and the 32" just looks far too small for my liking, I can hardly see it from the dining table

Looking forward to watching some HD football although I would go and buy it when the season is almost finished  I've read there's a way to get ITVHD as a channel on your SkyHD box so  it's just Setanta that will annoy me then as BBC and ITV broadcast theirs in HD.

Quidco is a great site, I don't understand why some people don't use it more often, if I'm buying something from the net I always check to see if they're listed on quidco first, every little helps and all that  The majority of my cashback is yearly insurance and things. Just this month I've tracked 70 cashback from 'more than' for my contents insurance premium which was 130, so in theory I'm getting my contents insurance for 60. Oh, and the 120 from sky.

Post #: 7
RE: Sky HD - 15/4/2009 7:54:53 AM   
vader100

quote:

Ours came with one, but that was a month before they officially launched it, it could be different now.

Yes it comes with an HDMI cable.

You can't take the sky from me

Post #: 8
RE: Sky HD - 15/4/2009 7:58:24 AM   
vader100

quote:

There has been a few problems with some boxes, the Amstrad and the Pace ones. I would gently inquire to the the installer if he has a Samsung box. Ensure he does a forced firmware update on it to ensure it is at the latest software profile.

Also make sure he leaves his phone number so any problems can be sorted quickly without going through SKY again.

Post #: 9
RE: Sky HD - 15/4/2009 7:59:25 AM   
vader100

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really, I thought it was 1080p, nevermind though I'm sure it'll look sweet in 720p. The main reason for a new TV is the fact my living room has doubled in size since we moved house and the 32" just looks far too small for my liking, I can hardly see it from the dining table

Looking forward to watching some HD football although I would go and buy it when the season is almost finished  I've read there's a way to get ITVHD as a channel on your SkyHD box so  it's just Setanta that will annoy me then as BBC and ITV broadcast theirs in HD.

Quidco is a great site, I don't understand why some people don't use it more often, if I'm buying something from the net I always check to see if they're listed on quidco first, every little helps and all that  The majority of my cashback is yearly insurance and things. Just this month I've tracked 70 cashback from 'more than' for my contents insurance premium which was 130, so in theory I'm getting my contents insurance for 60. Oh, and the 120 from sky.

Only when you get the new EPG. Which is some time later this year. If it will still be available then as ITVHD is supposed to be Freesat exclusive, this loophole will be closed , I imagine

< Message edited by vader100 -- 15/4/2009 8:01:20 AM >

Post #: 10
RE: Sky HD - 17/4/2009 3:19:43 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I thought the new EPG had already started to be rolled out to customers depending on which hardware they have? Still, ITV HD for a limited time is better than not at all.

Now, I heard the new Pace boxes are actually the best to get as there seems to be far less faults with them, or was the guy I was talking to talking rubbish? I know definetly to avoid Amstrads if possible.

Also, does anyone know what the deal with the telelphone line is? Can I disconnect it as soon as the engineers gone or will sky consider that a breach of terms? Where I want my TV is miles away from a phone socket.

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 11
RE: Sky HD - 17/4/2009 3:26:50 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Yeah, I've had the new EPG for about a month now, how do you go about getting ITV HD then?

Post #: 12
RE: Sky HD - 17/4/2009 3:28:56 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

I thought the new EPG had already started to be rolled out to customers depending on which hardware they have? Still, ITV HD for a limited time is better than not at all.

Now, I heard the new Pace boxes are actually the best to get as there seems to be far less faults with them, or was the guy I was talking to talking rubbish? I know definetly to avoid Amstrads if possible.

Also, does anyone know what the deal with the telelphone line is? Can I disconnect it as soon as the engineers gone or will sky consider that a breach of terms? Where I want my TV is miles away from a phone socket.

Phone line is for some interactive features and for Box Office orders I believe.

As for the best box, Pace were the ones that had 90,000 units recalled because of faults so I wouldn't say they're the safest bet. Ours is a Thomson, it was the only choice if you were lucky enough to get into the pre launch scheme, I think that's also why we have the new EPG.

Post #: 13
RE: Sky HD - 17/4/2009 4:37:30 PM   
vader100

Yes, they have used the Thomson boxes to roll out the new EPG with the rest following throught the year.

To find ITVHD you need to do a manual scan. I think this means you can't use the usual easy record functions but it is there.

The Sky contract says you have to have the telephone line connected for the first year. They ring along it now and then to check it's connection. This is to ensure the two feeds are not being shared between two houses.

Post #: 14
RE: Sky HD - 18/4/2009 7:53:11 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Put an phone line extension in and ran it under the carpet to where I'm hopefully having everything set up, problem solved. Just hope the installer will take my suggestion of running the cable through the garage and through the wall as opposed to where the old sky came in and along the skirting board....

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 15
RE: Sky HD - 25/4/2009 11:25:12 PM   
calvin

To add ITVHD to your skyHD box just follow these instructions: http://www.tellytoad.com/page/itv-hd-on-sky-hd.aspx

You can only do it if you have the new EPG.  Also I don't think this is a temporary thing, ITVHD is free to air, the new software for the skybox just allows it to be viewed.

In love with Veronica Mars. And Rachel McAdams.

Twenty-eight days... six hours... forty-two minutes... twelve seconds

http://c1230.deviantart.com

Post #: 16
RE: Sky HD - 27/4/2009 3:56:18 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Well, I got Sky installed on Thursday and must say everything is a dream. He put the box exactly where I wanted it to go and took my suggestion of where to put it, even drilling through an internal wall (which I didn't think they were allowed to do), built my new TV unit to put it on, just need a new TV and surround sound now

Watched the Arsenal game in HD yesterday and must say it was impressive, never watched footy in HD before but if I can help it I wont be watching on normal digital in future. Just waiting for the new EPG so I can get ITV HD. He installed a Samsung box which is after reading this thread and a few others on AVforums what I was hoping for.

There is one slight thing. when I was watching Die Hard 4.0 in HD the other night the sound seemed to be slightly out of sync with the picture (only ever so slightly) Is there anyway of fixing this? It only seems to do it when I'm playing back something that's recorded on the movie channels which is strange.

(in reply to calvin)
Post #: 17
RE: Sky HD - 29/4/2009 11:23:43 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

There is one slight thing. when I was watching Die Hard 4.0 in HD the other night the sound seemed to be slightly out of sync with the picture (only ever so slightly) Is there anyway of fixing this? It only seems to do it when I'm playing back something that's recorded on the movie channels which is strange.

i got sky hd installed yesterday, and the sound is out of sync on a screening of charlie brookers newswipe. iv noticed it on a few other things too.

Post #: 18
RE: Sky HD - 30/4/2009 11:05:07 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

i got sky hd installed yesterday, and the sound is out of sync on a screening of charlie brookers newswipe. iv noticed it on a few other things too.

We had this too, it's easy to fix.

Go to the Sky settings and you can change the sync time of the audio and video to add or take away miliseconds.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 19
RE: Sky HD - 30/4/2009 12:10:33 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

quote:

Go to the Sky settings and you can change the sync time of the audio and video to add or take away miliseconds.

cheers mate, i dont suppose it matters that its only like this on certain programmes does it?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 20
RE: Sky HD - 30/4/2009 12:20:23 PM   
UTB

You'll probably find it's on more than you have noticed, we did.

There occasions when we watch stuff thats on the planner that goes out of sync, in which case you just stop it and start it again.

Post #: 21
RE: Sky HD - 30/4/2009 12:38:40 PM   
adambatman82

ahh, this damn thing is proving to be more trouble than its worth! now the remote is proving really awkward. i rang sky and theyre sending out a new one, but i have a feeling its probably more to do with the unit than the remote.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 30/4/2009 12:39:17 PM >

Post #: 22
RE: Sky HD - 1/5/2009 4:39:28 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

quote:

Ah, thank you very much. That seems to have cleared the problem up. So far I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the HD channels, they're so much clearer it's untrue.

quote:

ahh, this damn thing is proving to be more trouble than its worth! now the remote is proving really awkward. i rang sky and theyre sending out a new one, but i have a feeling its probably more to do with the unit than the remote

Which box did you get? Samsung? Mines been great so far, mind you it's only been just over a week

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 23
RE: Sky HD - 26/5/2009 4:39:40 PM   
adambatman82

an update on my remote issues!

basically the new remote didnt do anything different, so i phoned sky and they sent a man around with a new set top box. the friendly man told me that there was an endemic problem with Samsung boxes, in that some of them have issues with receiving a signal. as the first box was a samsung i didnt really want another one, but thats all he had. he told me to take it and see how it goes. oh, and he said that this is getting to be a pretty common problem, hes had 7 callouts in the last month about the issue, but that its not common enough for sky to do anything about the issue. theyre still producing the boxes with the faults, presumably because its cheaper than addressing and fixing the problem.

so.

Saturday night. we have had the new box for four days. the same problem occurs again! i was so angry that i called sky and told them that i wasnt happy that theyre knowlingly selling faulty boxes. alas a new, none-samsung set top box is going to be fitted next monday. its still pretty ridiculous tho, and very annoying.

the lesson to those of you that may be considering getting sky HD is to request a Pace (i think its pace) box, and tell them that under no uncertain terms do you want a samsung one. granted the majority of samsung boxes work fine, and i realise that i have been very unlucky in this situation, but the sheer cheek of sky to not address the problem is just pretty poor.

Post #: 24
RE: Sky HD - 9/6/2009 9:02:53 AM   
Sinatra

Now I don't know what to do!
On my other screen at the moment, I'm at the Sky checkout just about to complete my Sky HD order.#
However, I just though I'd check in here quickly and see if there were any reviews etc...
Now I here there's somewhere called quidco? and that the Samsung boxes are shite>>?? help!
what do I do....?

Post #: 25
RE: Sky HD - 9/6/2009 9:56:44 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Get Virgin.  I've never had a problem with my V+ HD box in the 2 years plus I have had it

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 26
RE: Sky HD - 9/6/2009 9:59:41 AM   
adambatman82

i dont know anything about quidco but i would avoid samsung at all costs. we've had an unsightly "dongle" fitted to ours just so it'll bloody work. its a joke.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 27
RE: Sky HD - 9/6/2009 10:53:25 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Get Virgin.  I've never had a problem with my V+ HD box in the 2 years plus I have had it

Hiya! Does Virgin have the Sky Movies channels? is it cheaper?

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 28
RE: Sky HD - 9/6/2009 10:58:58 AM   
Hobbitonlass

I currently pay 38 per month for all TV channels (except Sky Movies and Sports but I get Setanta free), V+ HD box, 10mb broadband and free weekend calls.

I would need to pay extra to get the Movies and Sports   

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=1

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 29
RE: Sky HD - 9/6/2009 1:03:28 PM   
porntrooper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Hiya! Does Virgin have the Sky Movies channels? is it cheaper?

If you're specifically after an HD service, it's best to go with Sky at present.  Virgin's HD content is very poor at present, although I believe they're gearing up for release of more HD content in coming months, but it's unlikely to include the SKY HD movie channels.  Virgin is a top drawer service if you're not too fussed about HD content at the moment.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Sky HD Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI