Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 3/11/2007 1:58:02 AM   
John Firth

Ah, this'll end up like Red Dwarf USA.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 91
- 3/11/2007 1:37:37 PM   
orca

Just when I thought I couldn't love Edgar any more than I already do, he goes and proves me wrong.

I'd also like to add that my American friends were just as horrified about this announcement as we were.

Post #: 92
- 3/11/2007 10:08:13 PM   
UTB

even a US remake can't be worse than Everybody Loves Raymond, so what's the big deal?

Post #: 93
Couldn't of said it better - 4/11/2007 8:08:13 AM   
His Dudeness

Go'ead Edgar lad!

Post #: 94
BLASPHEMY - 4/11/2007 12:56:04 PM   
ben454

I am so upset about this that sorry ed, simon, jess etc I hope this never happens as spaced is something beautiful and sacred that should be left alone!!! If its done well I will eat my shoes and apologise but the US wont get it right :S sorry

Post #: 95
This is horrible news. - 4/11/2007 4:05:32 PM   
RevolloveR

But Edgars response is perfect :)

Post #: 96
!!!!!!! - 5/11/2007 1:06:20 AM   
kinge247

Americans, go get your own FUCKING ideas. You fuck all ours up when you eat them and shit em out as some lame fucking version. I hope its totally wank.

(in reply to shongage)
Post #: 97
grr - 5/11/2007 10:26:08 PM   
alili

poor edgar :( stupid americans can't find their own tv shows/films (Queer as folk, the office, ugly betty, the ring, the grudge etc etc.)

Post #: 98
YOU WHAT? - 6/11/2007 11:14:28 AM   
papalazarou

In the old days, the British Empire would have declared war for less. Now allw e need is for them to get their hands on Doctor Who .. oh wait, that happened already .. right, where's my pitchfork?

Post #: 99
- 6/11/2007 2:11:15 PM   
crikeyme

Excellent response from Edgar Wright - you'd think anyone who calls themselves a fan would already have realised this goes against the grain and has nothing to do with him. And the way the networks pull the plug these days, at least we can rest assured that it won't get as far as episode 3...

Post #: 100
RE: - 9/11/2007 2:02:11 PM   
beancounter

The Office was a fairly unique piece of television. When the US said they would remake it, most people reacted in horror, but in the end it turned out to be quite good, apparently. I say apparently because I haven't seen US Office - I don't need to because I've got the original. I can see the point of remaking The Office for a US audience, as the US simply wouldn't understand a lot of the humour (gross generalisation I know, but you get what I mean). And the setting was easily transferable.

Spaced was an even more unique piece of television . So again the US would have trouble understanding a lot of the humour, and the setting would have to be different. The film references would still work though (Grange Hill wouldn't, but it would be great if they kept that in anyway). The risk is that it would end up being Friends Lite (and will probably run to 10 series).

However the point remains: we've got the original and best. If the US want to remake it, let 'em, just don't expect anyone in the UK to watch it. And have the decency to pay Edgar, Simon and Jessica a large consultancy fee.

Hey! I've just remembered. I've got a packet of Jaffa Cakes!  Yaay!

I wish none of this had happened.
So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

(in reply to crikeyme)
Post #: 101
Burn in hell McG - 23/11/2007 9:53:48 AM   
monkeywithabanjo

Babylon 5's a big pile of shit

Post #: 102
RE: Spaced Remake Back On - Apocalypse To Follow.......... - 2/3/2008 8:12:22 PM   
Timon

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080302d.php

Could power of the people stop it?

http://www.facebook.com/wall.php?id=8260964366

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to dahlia79)
Post #: 103
RE: Spaced Remake Back On - Apocalypse To Follow.......... - 2/3/2008 8:29:55 PM   
Wilbert

What is the problem?
The original Spaced is a classic but they're not making any more. It's been a long time since it finished too.
People said the US Office would be shit but it's really, really good. Almost as good as the original but quite different.

If this turns out to be great, then that's cool.
If it turns out to be shit, you just wasted half an hour and you don't have to watch it ever again.

The way people are going on, you'd think the BBC were trying to remake Seinfeld! Now, can you imagine how much of a balls-up they'd make of that?

The Americans are the best in the world at making sitcoms and tv drama. In Europe we have nothing that comes close to The Wire or Curb Your Enthusiasm, so lets let them have a crack at it.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 104
RE: Spaced Remake Back On - Apocalypse To Follow.......... - 2/3/2008 8:31:40 PM   
Manchurian candidate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

What is the problem?
The original Spaced is a classic but they're not making any more. It's been a long time since it finished too.
People said the US Office would be shit but it's really, really good. Almost as good as the original but quite different.

If this turns out to be great, then that's cool.
If it turns out to be shit, you just wasted half an hour and you don't have to watch it ever again.

The way people are going on, you'd think the BBC were trying to remake Seinfeld! Now, can you imagine how much of a balls-up they'd make of that?

The Americans are the best in the world at making sitcoms and tv drama. In Europe we have nothing that comes close to The Wire or Curb Your Enthusiasm, so lets let them have a crack at it.

btu willburt lol theyall ruin teh legaycy lol

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 105
RE: Spaced Remake Back On - Apocalypse To Follow.......... - 2/3/2008 8:31:43 PM   
Timon

It's that they're doing in without even asking Wright and Pegg and planning on doing their own thing using only the title.

The US office had the backing of Gervais and Merchant, but this is unprofessionalism at its highest............that's what the problem is.

Unfortunately Fox has basically refused to credit them and yet is cashing in on both the show and their reputations by mentioning them front and center in the press release announcing the green lighting. Pegg had this to say a few hours ago on Facebook: "It is this flagrant snub and effective vote of no confidence in the very people that created the show, that has caused such affront at our end. If they don't care about the integrity of the original, why call it Spaced? Why attempt to find some validation by including mine and Edgar's names in the press release as if we were involved? Why not just lift the premise?"

< Message edited by Timon -- 2/3/2008 8:32:58 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 106
RE: Spaced Remake Back On - Apocalypse To Follow.......... - 3/3/2008 12:16:03 AM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

It's that they're doing in without even asking Wright and Pegg and planning on doing their own thing using only the title.

The US office had the backing of Gervais and Merchant, but this is unprofessionalism at its highest............that's what the problem is.

So you're pissed of by the unprofessionalism? It's a matter of principle? Doesn't matter that it's Spaced?

I think the level of outrage here is a little high!

I can understand Wright, Stephenson and Pegg being pissed off but people here are acting like they wrote Spaced or that their best mates are being shafted.

They're not your friends, people!

< Message edited by Wilbert -- 3/3/2008 12:17:21 AM >

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 107
RE: Spaced Remake Back On - Apocalypse To Follow.......... - 18/3/2008 4:36:06 PM   
Timon

Yeah but they feel like it................

Still, it seems as if Pegg and Hynes are equally infuriated by Warner's lack of professionalism.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36016

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 108
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI