Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Awards and Festivals >> RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 16/12/2007 1:07:28 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Groovy Mule

I just don't see Sweeney Todd making it because it is not very Oscar-friendly material and I still have serious doubts over whether Johnny Depp can sing what is a very demanding role.  I have also heard that the supporting cast do not perform very well. 

I dunno, I wouldn't be so quick to write off Sweeney Todd. Critics appear to be loving it, and as a musical adaptation of a popular stage show, it's totally Oscar material (I'm looking at you, Chicago, you shimmering shower of shite).

Cheers for the heads up about the critical approval for Todd that made my day checking out the glowing reviews on Rotten Tomatoes...(yes it was a slow day)

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 31
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 17/12/2007 9:43:27 PM   
matthewforan

Hopefully Aaron Sorkin for Best Screenplay adaptation for Charlie's War.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 32
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 21/12/2007 12:38:46 AM   
Beetlejuice!

Changing my prediction slightly:

BEST PICTURE
American Gangster

Atonement
The Kite Runner

No Country for Old Men
Sweeney Todd

OFF: 3: 10 to Yuma (isn't really picking up much praise in award circles)
ON: Atonement (back on my predictions for best film but I think this is going to succeed better in the acting categories)

BEST DIRECTOR
Tim Burton - Sweeney Todd

Ethan Coen, Joel Coen - No Country for Old Men

Marc Forster - The Kite Runner
Todd Haynes - I'm Not There
Ridley Scott - American Gangster

BEST ACTOR
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood

Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd
James McAvoy - Atonement

Jack Nicholson - The Bucket List
Denzel Washington - American Gangster

OFF: Josh Brolin - No Country for Old Men
ON: Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood (I think this film will unfortunately be ignored by the Academy but I do expect Day-Lewis to pick up a nom).

BEST ACTRESS
Amy Adams - Enchanted
Helena Bonham Carter - Sweeney Todd

Julie Christie - Away From Her
Marion Cotillard - La Vie en Rose
Ellen Page - Juno

OFF: Nicole Kidman - Margot at the Wedding - Hasn't picked up that much buzz
ON: Julie Christie - Away From Her (a favourite of the Academy so she'll likely pick up a nom)

Meanwhile having seen Enchanted last night, I predict that it's going to be Amy Adams picking up the little gold fella for her delightfully simple and likeable performance.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Casey Affleck - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men

Russell Crowe - American Gangster

Homayan Ershadi - The Kite Runner
Ben Foster - 3:10 to Yuma

OFF: Josh Brolin - American Gangster (like Billy Bob Thornton a few years back, I think Brolin is going to cancel himself out this year due to too many excellent performances in the one year)
ON: Homayan Ershadi - The Kite Runner (It's an outsider chance but I think he'll pick it up for an apparently fine performance in this film as the father of the main character).

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There
Ruby Dee - American Gangster
Jennifer Jason Leigh - Margot at the Wedding

Saoirse Ronan - Atonement

Amy Ryan - Gone Baby Gone

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
The Bucket List

I'm Not There
Juno
Margot at the Wedding

Ratatouille

OFF: The Savages
ON: The Bucket List (A more Oscar friendly film by the looks of it)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
American Gangster
Atonement
The Kite Runner

No Country for Old Men

Sweeney Todd

OFF: 3:10 to Yuma (again, having not picked up much attention from other awards, looks like it will miss out due to the bigger contenders in this catergory)
ON: American Gangster

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 33
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 27/12/2007 5:21:32 PM   
Groovy Mule

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

Changing my prediction slightly:

BEST PICTURE
American Gangster

Atonement
The Kite Runner

No Country for Old Men
Sweeney Todd

OFF: 3: 10 to Yuma (isn't really picking up much praise in award circles)
ON: Atonement (back on my predictions for best film but I think this is going to succeed better in the acting categories)

BEST DIRECTOR

Marc Forster - The Kite Runner
Todd Haynes - I'm Not There

BEST ACTOR

James McAvoy - Atonement

Jack Nicholson - The Bucket List

OFF: Josh Brolin - No Country for Old Men
ON: Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood (I think this film will unfortunately be ignored by the Academy but I do expect Day-Lewis to pick up a nom).

BEST ACTRESS
Amy Adams - Enchanted

Ellen Page - Juno

OFF: Nicole Kidman - Margot at the Wedding - Hasn't picked up that much buzz
ON: Julie Christie - Away From Her (a favourite of the Academy so she'll likely pick up a nom)

Meanwhile having seen Enchanted last night, I predict that it's going to be Amy Adams picking up the little gold fella for her delightfully simple and likeable performance.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

OFF: Josh Brolin - American Gangster (like Billy Bob Thornton a few years back, I think Brolin is going to cancel himself out this year due to too many excellent performances in the one year)
ON: Homayan Ershadi - The Kite Runner (It's an outsider chance but I think he'll pick it up for an apparently fine performance in this film as the father of the main character).

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jennifer Jason Leigh - Margot at the Wedding

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
The Bucket List

I'm Not There
Juno
Margot at the Wedding

Ratatouille

OFF: The Savages
ON: The Bucket List (A more Oscar friendly film by the looks of it)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
American Gangster
Atonement
The Kite Runner

No Country for Old Men

Sweeney Todd

OFF: 3:10 to Yuma (again, having not picked up much attention from other awards, looks like it will miss out due to the bigger contenders in this catergory)
ON: American Gangster

I think that you are overestimating the popularity of certain films and performances.  I don't see James McAvoy or Saoirse Ronan picking up Oscars against very strong critical darlings (Daniel Day-Lewis and Cate Blanchett or Amy Ryan) unless Atonement goes on a sweep and picks up Best Picture and everything in its path along the way.  If that is going to happen, expect to see Keira Knightley nominated for Best Actress and Vanessa Redgrave or Romola Garai joining Saoirse Ronan in the Best Supporting Actress category.  As much as I liked Atonement, I am struggling to see that happen at the moment.

In the Best Actor category, it is hard to look past George Clooney for a nomination.  He has picked up a number of pre-cursors and has been nominated pretty much everywhere along the way.  Viggo Mortensen is getting a lot of love as well for Eastern Promises.  I'm still not sure about Johnny Depp although he is obviously popular generally.

Also, I can't see Amy Adams winning for Enchanted.  I haven't seen the film but it strikes me that Adams' nomination will be nothing more than the token comedy nomination (see Johnny Depp for Pirates, Judi Dench for Mrs Henderson or Renee Zellweger for Bridget Jones as recent examples).  It is for that reason that I don't think that both Amy Adams and Helena Bonham Carter will be nominated  For me, it is hard to look past one of the three heavyweight dramatic performances of Julie Christie, Angelina Jolie or Marion Cotillard (although I thought La Vie En Rose was pretty weak) or Ellen Page who has been praised a lot for Juno.

In the Supporting Actor category, the love that the Screen Actors Guild had for Into The Wild suggests that Hal Holbrook is probably a good bet for a nomination alongside the two actors that I think are probably locks for the category - Bardem and Affleck.  Elsewhere, I think Wilkinson has a good chance for a showy role in Michael Clayton as does Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Charlie Wilson's War (although he has 3 performances to choose from this year).  An actor from The Kite Runner will need the picture to be nominated to get in.  If There Will Be Blood is popular, expect Paul Dano to pop up in this category or a second actor from No Country For Old Men (either Brolin or Lee Jones).  I can't see Foster getting in for 3:10 to Yuma despite the campaigning.

Best Supporting Actress category is such a weak category with so little strength in depth that outside of Blanchett, Ryan (who I think will win) and Ronan, it is anyone's guess.  The possibilities include Dee and Jennifer Jason Leigh but watch out for the possibility of Tilda Swinton for Michael Clayton, Marisa Tomei for Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, Catherine Keener for Into The Wild or a second nomination from "the Brionys" in Atonement.

< Message edited by Groovy Mule -- 27/12/2007 5:28:58 PM >

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

Post #: 34
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 3/1/2008 2:37:08 AM   
N.I.N

Best Picture
No Country For Old Men
Atonement
There Will Be Blood
Juno
American Gangster

Best Director
Coen Brothers for No Country For Old Men
Joe Wright for Atonement
Paul Thomas Anderson for There Will Be Blood
Ridley Scott for American Gangster
Tim Burton for Sweeny Todd

Best Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood
Denzel Washington for American Gangster
Viggo Mortensen for Eastern Promises
Tommy Lee Jones for In The Valley of Elah
James McEvoy for Atonement

Best Actress
Amy Adams for Enchanted
Keira Knightley for Atonement
Ellen Paige for Juno
Marion Cotillard for La Vie En Rose
Angelina Jolie for A Mighty Heart

Best Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck for The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
Javier Bardem for No Country For Old Men
Paul Dano for There Will Be Blood
Tom Wilkinson for Michael Clayton
Philip Seymour Hoffman for Charlie Wilson's War

Best Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett for I'm Not There
Amy Ryan for Gone Baby Gone
Saoirse Ronan for Atonement
Tilda Swinton for Michael Clayton
Ruby Dee for American Gangster

Best Original Screenplay
Before The Devil Know's You're Dead by Kelly Masterson
Juno by Diablo Cody
Michael Clayton by Tony Gilroy
Eastern Promises by Steven Knight
The Savages by Tamara Jenkins

Best Adapted Screenplay
No Country For Old Men by Coen Brothers
There Will Be Blood by Paul Thomas Anderson
Atonement by Christopher Hampton
Into The Wild by Sean Penn
Sweeney Todd by John Logan

Best Animation
Ratatouille
Persepolis
The Simpsons Movie

Best Foriegn Language Film
4 Months,3 Weeks and 2 Days
T
he Kite Runner
The Driving Bell and Butterfly
Lust,Caution
Persepolis

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 35
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 3/1/2008 9:37:53 PM   
DozyTheHouseElf

I'd like to see James McAvoy get recognised for Atonement, especially after being overlooked for his performance in Last King of Scotland. Casey Affleck will be this year's Ryan Gosling ie breakthrough  role but no award. And I just can't see another gangster flick winning best picture/director after last year but I agree Denzel should get actor nod.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 36
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 9/1/2008 3:47:42 PM   
Simba

Id love to see Ratatouille get a nod for Best Picture, in my opinion one of the best films of the year. Something with class like that should transcend the catagories like Beauty and the Beast did.

(in reply to DozyTheHouseElf)
Post #: 37
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 10/1/2008 3:03:21 PM   
Goodfella

Best Picture
Atonement
American Gangster
Juno
No Country For Old Men
Charlie Wilson's War

Best Director
The Coen Brothers (No Country For Old Men)
Ridley Scott (American Gangster)
Mike Nichols (Charlie Wilson's War)
Jason Reitman (Juno)
Joe Wright (Atonement)

Best Actor
James McAvoy (Atonement)
Daniel Day Lewis (There Will Be Blood)
Tom Hanks (Charlie Wilson's War)
Tommy Lee Jones (In The Valley Of Elah)
Brad Pitt (The Assasination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford)

Best Actress
Kiera Knightley (Atonement)
Angelina Jolie (A Mighty Heart)
Ellen Page (Juno)
Julia Roberts (Charlie Wilson's War)
Amy Adams (Enchanted)

Best Supporting Actor
Javier Bardem (No Country For Old Men)
Josh Brolin (No Country For Old Men)
Ahmad Khan Madmidzada (The Kite Runner)
Casey Affleck (The Assasination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford)
Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton)

Best Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There)
Vanessa Redgrave (Atonement)
Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone)
Meryl Streep (Lions For Lambs)
Saoirse Ronan (Atonement)

Best SFX
Transformers
The Golden Compass
Pirates Of The Carribean: At World's End

Best Animated Movie
Ratatouille
Shrek The Third
The Simpsons Movie

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Simba)
Post #: 38
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 11/1/2008 1:29:26 PM   
PrickeyMe

quote:

ORIGINAL: LustForLeith

Latest odds (to be taken with a pinch of salt)

I've got a dire prediction

The Oscars will be canceled

(in reply to LustForLeith)
Post #: 39
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 15/1/2008 11:23:26 PM   
adambatman82

the short list for the noms for best foreign pic are up. surprisingly the diving bell and the butterfly isnt on it. i wonder if its been pushed for best picture?? link to the article over at comingsoon.com -
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=40978

(in reply to PrickeyMe)
Post #: 40
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 16/1/2008 1:48:03 PM   
Harry Lime

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

the short list for the noms for best foreign pic are up. surprisingly the diving bell and the butterfly isnt on it. i wonder if its been pushed for best picture?? link to the article over at comingsoon.com -
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=40978

Each country is only allowed to put one film up for the Best Foreign Film nomination and France chose Persepolis to represent it this year.

That's not to say that The Diving Bell And The Butterfly won't find itself up for other awards. In fact it's very likely considering it's strong showing at the Globes this week.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 41
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 17/1/2008 12:25:18 AM   
Jack's Rage

Thinking like the Academy.  I've done it for years now.  And it makes for an interesting process.  So using their logic and the pre Oscar awards count here is how I see it this year.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
1. Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone) - Absolute lock she has cleaned up at the critics awards.
2. Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There) - Another certainty she is an oscar darling and has a good chance to win.
3. Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton) - She has picked up a few of the larger critics awards including a globes nom.
4. Catherine Keener (Into the Wild) - Not near certain but I thought she was great so I'm going with her.
5. Ruby Dee (American Gangster) - This slot is a crap shoot.  I went with the elder Mrs Dee slightly over the youngster Saoirise Ronan.

Runner up:
Vanessa Redgrave- The Academy took too much flak for the infamous under-10-minutes-screentime Dench win.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
1. Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men) - You can almost just give him the statue now (though I don't agree).
2. Casey Affleck (The Assasination of Jesse...) - Another lock and the one I would like to see win.
3. Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton)- The top two took all the big honors but Wilkinson has been in the running for them.
4. Philip Seymour Hoffman (Charlie Wilson's War)- This is dicey.  But he was so memorable in the films opening that I say it sticks with voters.
5. Tommy Lee Jones (No Country...)- A surprise.  But why be totally boring.

Runner up: Hal Holbrook (Into the Wild) He's over 80 years old and has never been nominated for any big award.  The Academy likes to honor the sentimental choice.  But the film just doesn't have the momentum.

BEST ACTOR
1.  Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)- "Drink it up!" He is a lock for a nom and likely to win (20 critics awards).  And he damn well should.
2.  George Clooney (Michael Clayton)- The academy loves him because he's so charming (especially the lady members).
3. Johnny Depp (Sweeny Todd)- Not the lock I thought he'd be.  But a globes win is a boost and ever since Capt'n Jack his popularity exploded (about 15 years late).
4. Viggo Mortenson (Eastern Promises)- He's had a little love from pre-oscar awards.  But he was snubbed for his last Cronenberg film.
5. Ryan Gosling (Lars and the Real Girls)- Not a favorite of mine but I'm trying to be objective. He's been nominated (only 1 small win) for some of the biggies.

Runner up: Emile Hircsh (Into the Wild)- Much rather see him take the last slot.  But there just isn't any buzz.

BEST ACTRESS
1. Julie Christie (Away From Her)- One of two locks she has the inside track with the Academy.
2. Ellen Page (Juno)- The other lock she has won some of the big critics awards.
3. Marion Cotillard (La Vie En Rose)- Surprise winner of a globe she's got momentum.
4. Angelina Jolie (A Mighty Heart)- Has been nominated for some of the big critics awards but no wins.
5. Amy Adams (Enchanted)- I was drug to this film and while I didn't think it was that good I loved her in it.  This is not the smart choice though...

Runner up:
Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth: TGA) Thats because she is.  But there is chance Adams could could charm the Academy and this is the one place I'm going to be biased.

BEST DIRECTOR
1. Coen Brothers (No Country for Old Men)- They are a lock.  They lead in pre-awards by a large margin.  And everyone is calling this their best in a decade.
2. Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood)- He should win easily.  But he's not even the favorite.  Will get a nom though.
3. Tim Burton (Sweeny Todd)- Yes this may just be too vile for the Academy.  But I say they show they can be "edgy".
4. Julian Schnabel (The Diving Bell...)- The film wasn't chosen as France's rep in Foreign film category.  But it will be honored here.
5. Sidney Lumet (Before the Devil knows...)- This is universally regarded as his best work in decades.  The Academy will notice.

Runner up:
Sean Penn (Into the Wild)- Penn is a real possibilty because you think this film will get something.  But he won't win so there is no chance of a liberal rant

BEST PICTURE
1. No Country for Old Men - The favorite with the most pre-oscar awards.  But it shoud not win.
2. There Will Be Blood- Took a number of the major critics awards it has a shot to win.  Hopefully its momentum keeps building.
3. Atonement- It won the globes best drama so its a lock.  Why? This winner has went on to get a nom every year since 1962.
4.  Michael Clayton- A solid pre-oscar list of nominees and George Clooney. 
5.  The Diving Bell and the Butterfly- Wasn't chosen as France's rep for best foreign film.  But it has a shot at the big one instead.

Runner up: Sweeney Todd- If I wasn't being so objective this would take the last slot.  But I have serious reservations about the conservative Academy going for something so graphic and outrageous.  Then again it is a musical?

Its already done so shut up!

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 42
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 20/1/2008 4:10:58 PM   
Beetlejuice!

Ok, here's my final predictions for the nominees at least..

BEST PICTURE
3:10 to Yuma
American Gangster
Into the Wild

No Country for Old Men
Sweeney Todd

OFF: Atonement (hasn't really picked up much award buzz in America) & The Kite Runner (it's a shame but I just don't see it now)
ON: 3:10 to Yuma(a well made western) & Into the Wild (the sleeper hit)

BEST DIRECTOR
Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood

Sean Penn - Into the Wild

OFF: Marc Foster - The Kite Runner (hopefully it'll still pick up the one acting nomination though) & Todd Haynes - I'm Not There (probably too experimental)
ON: Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood (about time Anderson received a directing nom) & Sean Penn - Into the Wild (Academy loves actors directing)

BEST ACTOR
George Clooney - Michael Clayton

Viggo Mortensen - Eastern Promises

OFF: James McAvoy - Atonement (if he gets nominated I think he's in a chance to win however there's bigger more Academy friendly names to compete with. I reckon this is Washington's year again.) & Jack Nicholson - The Bucket List (an Academy favourite but doesn't seem to be too chalenging a role for the old bugger)
ON: George Clooney - Michael Clayton (picked up a lot of buzz) & Viggo Mortensen - Eastern Promises (a good actor deserving of a nom)

BEST ACTRESS
Amy Adams - Enchanted

Ellen Page - Juno

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Catherine Keener - Into the Wild
Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton

OFF: Jennifer Jason Leigh - Margot at the Wedding & Saoirse Ronan - Atonement (again Atonement is going to lose out again I reckon - the fact that there's three actresses available for this category will split the votes. Leigh has lost the buzz)
ON: Catherine Keener - Into the Wild & Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton (both these performers have picked up a lot of buzz recently)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
American Gangster
Juno
Michael Clayton

Ratatouille
The Savages

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Atonement
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

The Kite Runner
No Country for Old Men

There Will Be Blood 

Post #: 43
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 20/1/2008 4:27:44 PM   
curve

Easily Atonment to sweep the boards

There is no tomorrow...

Post #: 44
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 20/1/2008 8:39:52 PM   
Jack's Rage

Don't think so.  Its really fallen hard now that the critics awards have mostly ignored it.  But it did get the Golden Globe, which like I said in my last post, has had its Best Drama nominated every year since 1962 (the most reliable barometer ever).  So it will get a picture nom and maybe a screeplay shout and/or a supporting actress for Saoirise Ronan.

Btw I totally forgot about screen play in my predictions.  So here how I see that going.

Original Screenplay:
1. Juno - I said I would be objective and this is the ultimate test because I thought the script was not only overrated...but not even good (over hip and inauthentic).  Still its a lock and probably the favorite.
2. Michael Clayton- Very close to a lock.  Although, while a lot of people really liked it, few loved it.
3. The Savages- This is the only place for them to honor this critically acclaimed film.
4.Ratatouille- A lot of films are up for the last two slots.  I think this can charm the Academy.
5. Knocked Up- Breaking my rules because this is a subjective pick.  But its for the last slot and has a chance.

Runner up: Lars and the Real Girls- Without the exposure this just misses out.

Adapted Screenplay:
1. No Country for Old Men- This has taken a bunch of the big critics awards  Its a lock for a nom and probably will win
2. There Will Be Blood- It now looks like it will get a nom but not the win it deserves.
3. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly- I have this getting a best picture nom in large part because of its screenplay so I have to pick it.
4. Into the Wild- I have this getting shut out from the major categories so its gotta get something.
5. Zodiac- Somehow this deserved film has a rekindled buzz.  I think it just may slide in.

Runner up: Antonement- This was thought to be a lock before but the critics awards have changed all that.  Still could easily get the last slot though.

Btw BeetleJuice: are those picks subjective?  I'm sorry but 3:10 to Yuma (which I really liked) and American Gangster (also very good) have no chance at a nom.  And Into the Wild is unlikely as well.  Also Daniel Day-Lewis has it in the bag.  While Denzel is a long shot for a nom let alone a win.  Best actress really looks like a three horse race.  Julie Christie and Ellen Page with Marion Cotillard on the outside.  Amy Adams deserves a nom though.  And I understand the love for Crowe (actually does deserve one) and Foster in supporting with your choices for best picture.  But they aren't really even in the running.

(in reply to curve)
Post #: 45
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 20/1/2008 9:08:38 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jack's Rage

Btw BeetleJuice: are those picks subjective?  I'm sorry but 3:10 to Yuma (which I really liked) and American Gangster (also very good) have no chance at a nom.  And Into the Wild is unlikely as well.  Also Daniel Day-Lewis has it in the bag.  While Denzel is a long shot for a nom let alone a win.  Best actress really looks like a three horse race.  Julie Christie and Ellen Page with Marion Cotillard on the outside.  Amy Adams deserves a nom though.  And I understand the love for Crowe (actually does deserve one) and Foster in supporting with your choices for best picture.  But they aren't really even in the running.

Oh we'll see...

My picks are kind of a mix of what I think will get nominated and what I hope will get nominated. I think both 3:10 to Yuma and American Gangster are Academy friendly films whilst Into the Wild will be the token sleeper indie pic nominated for Best Film unless Juno takes it.

(in reply to Jack's Rage)
Post #: 46
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 21/1/2008 3:43:11 AM   
Canon_Alberic

My Predictions

Picture
Into The Wild
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Alternate - The Diving Bell And The Butterfly

Director
Joel & Ethan Coen - No Country For Old Men
Tony Gilroy - Michael Clayton
Sean Penn - Into The Wild
Julian Schnabel - The Diving Bell And The Butterfly

Alternate - Joe Wright - Atonement

Actor
Daniel Day Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Emile Hirsch - Into The Wild

Alternate - Ryan Gosling - Lars And The Real Girl

Actress
Amy Adams - Enchanted
Angelina Jolie - A Mighty Heart
Ellen Page - Juno

Alternate - Keira Knightley - Atonement

Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck - The Assassination Of Jesse James...
Javier Bardem - No Country For Old Men
Paul Dano - There Will Be Blood
Hal Holbrook - Into The Wild
Tom Wilkinson - Michael Clayton

Alternate - Philip Seymour Hoffman - Charlie Wilson's War

Supporting Actress
Kelly MacDonald - No Country For Old Men

Alternate - Ruby Dee - American Gangster

Original Screenplay
Juno
Lars And The Real Girl
Michael Clayton
Ratatouille
The Savages

Adapted Screenplay
The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
Into The Wild
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Zodiac

Animated Feature
Bee Movie
Ratatouille
The Simpsons Movie

Art Direction
Atonement
Elizabeth
Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End
Sweeney Todd
There Will Be Blood

Cinematography
The Assassination of Jesse James...
Atonement
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Costume Design
Atonement
Elizabeth
Hairspray
Lust, Caution
Sweeney Todd

Editing
The Bourne Ultimatum
Into The Wild
No Country For Old Men
Ratatouille
There Will Be Blood

Make Up
Pirates Of The Caribbean
Sweeney Todd
La Vie En Rose

Score
The Assassination Of  Jesse James...
Atonement
Into The Wild
Ratatouille
There Will Be Blood

Song
Hairspray
Into The Wild
Into The Wild
Once
Once

Sound
No Country For Old Men
Sweeney Todd
There Will Be Blood
Transformers

Sound Editing
Pirates Of The Caribbean
Ratatouille
Transformers

Visual Effects
Pirates Of The Caribbean
Transformers

Number Of Nominations

There Will Be Blood 10
Into The Wild 9
No Country For Old Men 8
Michael Clayton 6

Atonement 5
Ratatouille 5
Sweeney Todd 5
Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End 4
The Assassination Of Jesse James 3
The Diving Bell And The Butterfly 3
Juno 3
Transformers 3
Elizabeth 2
Hairspray 2
Once 2
300 2
La Vie En Rose 2
Away From Her 1
Bee Movie 1
The Bourne Ultimatum 1
Eastern Promises 1
Enchanted 1
Gone Baby Gone 1
I'm Not There  1
Lars And The Real Girl 1
Lust, Caution 1
A Mighty Heart 1
The Savages  1
The Simpsons Movie 1
Zodiac 1

Post #: 47
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 21/1/2008 7:08:25 AM   
Jack's Rage

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jack's Rage

Oh we'll see...

My picks are kind of a mix of what I think will get nominated and what I hope will get nominated. I think both 3:10 to Yuma and American Gangster are Academy friendly films whilst Into the Wild will be the token sleeper indie pic nominated for Best Film unless Juno takes it.

Yeah, I kinda figured that much.  3:10 to Yuma came out too long ago and will be forgotten by the academy.  And American Gangster really never caught on with critics so it has no momentum.  I think Juno has a decent shot at the "indie" slot.  But I'm going with The Diving Bell and the Butterfly to be the small film representative.  Although I would rather see it be your choice of Into the Wild.

Post #: 48
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 21/1/2008 11:33:17 AM   
Elvish Hero

Best Picture:
No Country for Old Men
There Will be Blood
Diving Bell
Juno
Ratatouille
Possible Alternates:Atonement, Michael Clayton
Best Director:
Coen Brothers
Paul T Anderson
Julian Schnabel
Tim Burton
Sean Penn
Possible Alternates:Joe Wright, Brad Bird
Leading Actor:
Daniel Day Lewis
Johnny Depp
George Clooney
Ryan Gosling
Viggo Mortensen
Possible Alternates:Emile Hirsch, Mathieu Amalric
Supporting Actor:
Javier Bardem
Tommy Lee Jones
Paul Dane
Tom Wilkinson
Casey Affleck
Possible Alternate:Hal Halbrook
Lead Actress:
Julie Christie
Keri Russel
Ellen Page
Laura Linney
Marion Cotillard
Possible Alternate:Angelina Jolie
Supporting Actress:
Cate Blanchett
Amy Ryan
Tilda Sweenton
Rube Dee
Soairis Ronan
Possible Alternates:Kelly MacDonald, Chatreen Keener
Original Screenplay:
Juno
Lars and the Real Girls
Michael Clayton
Ratatouille
The Savages
Possible Alternate:Knocked Up
Adapted Screenplay:
No Country for Old Men
There Will be Blood
Zodiac
Atonement
Diving Bell
Possible Alternates:Into the Wild, Gone baby Gone
Achievement in Editing:
No Country for Old Men
There Will be Blood
Bourne Ultimatum
Atonement
Clayton
Possible Alternate:Lust, Caution
Cinematography:
No Country for Old Men
There Will be Blood
Zodiac
Diving Bell
Bourne Ultimatum-Atonement
Makeup:
Sweeney Todd
La Vie en Rose
Diving Bell
Possible Alternate:PotC 3
Art Direction:
Stardust
Atonement
There will be Blood
Sweeney todd
Elizabeth
Possible Alternate:Diving Bell
Original Score:
There Will be Blood
Lust, Caution
Atonement
Grace is Gone
Kite Runner
Possible Alternate:Eastern Promises
Original Song:
Once
Enchanted
Ratatouille
Into the Wild
Grace is Gone
Costume Design:
Lust, Caution
Atonement
There will be Blood
Sweeney Todd
Elizabeth
Possible Alternate:La Vie en Rose
Sound Mixing:
Bourne Ultimatum
No Country for Old Men
Into the Wild
Sweeney todd
Sound Editing:
Bourne Ultimatum
Transformers
Atonement
Ratatouille
The Kingdom
Visual Effects:
Transformers
PotC 3
Animation:
Ratatouille
Simpsons Movie
Perspolis
Documentary:
Lake of Fire
No End in Sight
Sicko
Nanking
Body of War
Foreign Language:
Russia
Israel
Brazil
Trap
Conterfeitter

Post #: 49
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 21/1/2008 5:38:39 PM   
Harry Lime

Amended my early predictions ahead of tomorrow...

Best Picture

Atonement
No Country For Old Men
Sweeney Todd
There Will Be Blood

Best Director

Ethan Coen/ Joel Coen - No Country For Old Men
Julian Schnabel - The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
Joe Wright - Atonement

Best Actor

Emile Hirsch - Into The Wild
Tommy Lee Jones - The Valley Of Elah
James McAvoy - Atonement

Best Actress

Keira Knightley - Atonement
Ellen Page - Juno

Best Supporting Actor

Casey Affleck - The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
Javier Bardem - No Country For Old Men
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Charlie Wilson's War

Best Supporting Actress

Catherine Keener - Into The Wild

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 50
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 21/1/2008 6:58:20 PM   
Jack's Rage

Wow Harry we have some big time differences for best actor.  Most glaring is your omission of George Clooney who looks to be all but a lock.  Also, with the way Atonement has been ignored for the critics awards, I just don't see much of a chance for James McAvoy (though I think he deserves a nod).  And do you think enough of them actually watched The Valley of Elah to put Tommy Lee Jones in with a shout? 

Also the Knightly choice is a bit interesting.  No, I'm not saying this because I think she's some terribly wooden actress she gets called a lot on these boards.  But because of the lack of momentum for Atonement.  Anyway, just out of curiosity, why not Amy Adams?

We're almost identical on supporting.  And I hope your Paul Dano pick come thru.  But Saoirise Ronan means you see Atonement doing a lot better then me.  I'm guessing you just think it is tailor made for the academy.  And if so, you very well may be right.

Oh and what are your choices for screenplay?

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 51
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 21/1/2008 8:46:59 PM   
Harry Lime

I did write explantions with all my selections originally but it timed out and I lost everything.

Best Picture: No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood and Atonement are all dead certs in this category, in my opinion. The Diving Bell And The Butterfly has probably gained the most momentum over the awards season and I think its done enough to make the cut. The only film I'm not convinced about is Sweeney Todd. For my money Juno, Michael Clayton and even American Gangster could all claim that final slot... But as you said, the Burton film is a musical.

I dropped Into The Wild and Charlie Wilson's War from my original predictions. I think because the SAG award ceremony is after Oscar nominations are announced, Penn's film will be overlooked despite its nominations there. I feel Charlie Wilson's War will be left out in the cold in most the major categories.

Best Director: These tend to mirror the Best Picture nominations with maybe one exception. I can't see Jason Reitman (Juno) or Tony Gilroy (Michael Clayton)  finding their names onto that esteemed and heavy-hitting list this year so the only other contenders seem to be Ridley Scott (American Gangster), Mike Nichols (Charlie Wilson's War) or Sean Penn (Into The Wild). If one of my choices don't make it then it will be one of these three that takes their place.

Best Actor: We do have some big differences on this category and it was the hardest to choose. Although I think Daniel Day-Lewis is clearly a shoe-in for the Oscar and the rest of an extremely wide field are just scrabbling for those four nomination places. I went for McAvoy because I think the Academy see him as an up-and-coming star, know he was overlooked last year and I feel that Atonement is going to get a bucketful of nominations (a la the Golden Globes) but only come away with one award (Best Score) on the night. I found American Gangster to be a bit bloated and untidy but Denzel Washington gave an Academy friendly performance which will be recognised. The other two, I'm not so sure of but I'll stick by them. I think AMPAS wants to recognise Tommy Lee Jones this year... He's had an excellent twelve months but Javier Bardem is getting all the supporting plaudits for No Country For Old Men so I think Jones will find himself nominated for The Valley Of Elah. Whilst I don't think Into The Wild will get very far in other cataegories, I think its love at the SAG's might spill into the acting lists. If that's the case then Emile Hirsch will benefit most.

Whilst I think he's fantastic and believe he should have won for 2006, I can't see Gosling getting a second nomination twice in two years. Lars And The Real Girl is too low-key and was released too long ago to make a dent in this particular race. Hanks is an academy favourite but will suffer from my predicted Charlie Wilson's War blowout whilst, as much as I really liked Eastern Promises, I don't think the film has enough heat to get Viggo Mortensen in the running. Depp's an interesting one. Hollywood has started to appreciate him but I have a feeling the Academy will see Sweeney Todd as a directors film rather than an actors one. Which leaves Clooney. I think you are right. He is the most likely to get in ahead of my choices and if mine don't make it then he will be there. I just think this category is where the suprises will be this year.

Best Actress: I've switched my predicted winner from Angelina Jolie to Julie Christie although I still believe this race is wide open. I picked Knightley over Adams because the Academy do tend to go for these English rose types and Hollywood seems to have a huge hard-on for Knightley. Oscar tends to opt for drama over comedy and the role of Cecilia seems to tick all the boxes. Of course, Knightley's costume drama predecessor Bonham-Carter is also in with a shout but may suffer for the same reasons that I gave for Depp.

Incidently, I also don't think Knightley is as wooden as some make out.

Best Supporting Actor: I couldn't agree with you more. This is a two-way race between Bardem and Affleck with Tom Wilkinson in third looking on. Everybody seems to love Philip Seymour Hoffman and I think he will survive the Charlie Wilson's War collapse to grab a nomination and I think the final spot will see Dano edge out Holbrook. If Tommy Lee Jones doesn't get the Best Actor I spoke of then he could also be in with a shout.

Best Supporting Actress: Another seemingly two-way race here, this time between Amy Ryan and Cate Blanchett... Although don't rule out the much respected Catherine Keener as a dark horse to come up the middle as those two split the vote. I do think Saoirse Ronan will get a nod along with Tilda Swinton. I don't think Ruby Dee will make it and, to be honest, I don't think she deserves to.

As for the other two categories you mentioned:

Best Original Screenplay:

Juno
Lars And The Real Girl
Michael Clayton
Ratatouille
The Savages

Best Adapted Screenplay:

Atonement
Into The Wild
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Post #: 52
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 21/1/2008 10:41:14 PM   
Neth

Amended final guesses for tomorrow's nominations, then:

Best Picture
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
Sweeney Todd
There Will Be Blood

Best Actor
Emile Hirsch - Into the Wild
James McEvoy - Atonement

Best Actress
Julie Christie - Away from Her
Marion Cotillard - La vie en rose
Keira Knightley - Atonement
Ellen Page - Juno

Best Supporting Actor
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Charlie Wilson's War
Hal Holbrook - Into the Wild

Best Supporting Actress

Best Director
P.T. Anderson - There Will Be Blood
Joel and Ethan Coen - No Country For Old Men
Jason Reitman - Juno
Julian Schnabel - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Joe Wright - Atonement

Best Adapted Screenplay
Christopher Hampton - Atonement
Ronald Harwood - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Aaron Sorkin - Charlie Wilson's War

Best Original Screenplay
Brad Bird - Ratatouille
Diablo Cody - Juno
Tony Gilroy - Michael Clayton
Tamara Jenkins - The Savages
Nancy Oliver - Lars and the Real Girl

Maybe sub Sweeney for Into the Wild. Am I stupid to ignore the possibility of Atonement being nominated for Best Picture? Probably, but it's useful to have a curveball. Juno might get a look in given the adoration it's receiving, but perhaps not in the biggie.

Best Actor is the widest open category. If Paramount really have given up on pushing Into the Wild, then Hirsch might get subbed for Viggo Mortensen. Outside bets? Denzel Washington and Josh Brolin. Really outside bet - like, out on the other side of the car park, by the motorway underpass? Mathieu Amalric and Brad Pitt.

Best Actress is the richest category, in my humble opinion. Lots of great performances to chose from. Jolie and Knightley might not make the final cut, but the other three are all but a dead cert.

I just can't wait to be proven wrong tomorrow lunchtime. Perhaps they'll give all the nominations to Epic Movie and Captivity, just to snub those pesky WGA picketers and their all-star support.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 53
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 22/1/2008 3:32:17 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

When are the nominees announced?

EDIT: I just found out for myself  They're announced at 5:30 am on January 22nd Los Angeles time, which is 1:30pm on January 22nd in the UK, and midnight tonight for me.

EDIT 2: Is Cloverfield eligible for the Best Cinematography category? It is not specifically designed, it's just "Run with the camera and point in the direction you're going." It deserves some recognition for that, I reckon.

< Message edited by Squidward Hark Bugle -- 22/1/2008 3:45:43 AM >

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 54
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 22/1/2008 9:35:21 AM   
Jack's Rage

Harry:  I completely agree with your assessment of the best picture race.  Right down to the films vying for the final slot.  Only difference is I think they go with Michael Clayton and not Sweeney Tood.  I see it as the "safe" choice.  But I really hope your right and they again show love for the musical and pick Sweeney Todd.

Again we're pretty much eye-to-eye for directors as well.  Except for my surprise selection of Sydney Lumet.  I really think the academy would love to honor him.

Okay so now onto the one where all we seem to agree on is that Daniel Day-Lewis is a stone cold lock to win.  The way I see it the academy loves George Clooney and want him to have a big presence on the red carpet.  I think they also realize they fucked up not giving Viggo Mortensen a nom for A History of Violence and will make it up by giving him one for his latest collaboration with Cronenberg.  Pluc Mortensen has some momentum from nabbing some big critics noms.  Depp will get in because he's Johnny Depp.  Which also happens to be the reason he never got sniff before.  I chose Ryan Gosling for the last slot.  But I can easily see him being passed over for the reasons you mentioned. 

Looking at your picks I also had James McAvoy for a while.  But I just see Atonement really faltering after being largely ignored by the critics awards.  He could easily get one over Gosling though.  Denzel to me is a possibility but I just don't think American Gangster was received well enough.  And while I think Tommy Lee Jones deserves one for The Valley of Elah.  I just don't think enough of the academy members saw it.

And quickly on best actress.  I totally agree with you about Hollywood's infatuation with Knightly.  And the more I think about it she very well may get in despite Atonements slide (if she does you know this place will be up in arms).  But they like Amy Adams too.  And I think that the academy will fall in love with her performance in Enchanted.  Also as bad as Elizabeth: TGA is there is a chance that academy darling Cate Blanchett slides in.  Her being the heavy favorite for I'm Not There in supporting hopefully stops such madness though.

Anyway I forgot to give my picks for the rest.  So here how I see it. 

Editing:
1. No Country for Old Men
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Michael Clayton
4. The Bourne Ultimatum
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Art Direction:
1. There Will Be Blood
2. Sweeney Todd
3. Atonement
4. Elizabeth: The Golden Age
5. Stardust

Cinematography:
1. There Will Be Blood
2. No Country for Old Men
3. The Assasination of Jesse James...
4. Atonement
5. Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Visual Effects:
1. Transformers
2. At Worlds End
3. 300

Animation:
1. Ratatouille
2. Persepolis
3. The Simpsons Movie

Makeup:
1. 300
2. Sweeney Todd
3. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Costume Design:
1. Elizabeth: The Golden Age
2. Sweeney Todd
3. Atonement
4. There Will Be Blood
5. 300

Original Score:
1. Atonement
2. The Assassination of Jesse James...
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Lust, Caution
5. Ratatouille

Original Score:
1. Once
2. Ratatouille
3. Enchanted
4. Hairspray
5. Into the Wild

Sound:
1. The Bourne Ultimatum
2. Sweeny Todd
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Beowulf
5. 300

Sound Editing:
1. The Bourne Ultimatum
2. Transformers
3. 300

Foreign Film:
1. Days of Darkness
2. The Counterfeiters
3. 12
4. Mongol
5. The Unknown

Documentary:
1. Sicko
2. Lake of Fire
3. No End in Sight
4. For the Bible Tells Me So
5. The Price of Sugar

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 55
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 22/1/2008 10:28:06 AM   
Groovy Mule

Best Picture
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
Atonement

There Will Be Blood

Best Actor

James McEvoy - Atonement

Best Actress
Julie Christie - Away from Her
Marion Cotillard - La vie en rose
Amy Adams - Enchanted

Ellen Page - Juno

Best Supporting Actor
Tommy Lee Jones - No Country For Old Men

Best Supporting Actress
Catherine Keener - Into The Wild

Best Director
Sidney Lumet - Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Julian Schnabel - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Joe Wright - Atonement

Best Adapted Screenplay
There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men
Atonement
Into The Wild

Best Original Screenplay
Ratatouille
Juno
Michael Clayton
Eastern Promises
Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 56
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 22/1/2008 1:52:54 PM   
Neth

Shit, I took a duck on my predictions for Best Picture. Alright, I was foolhardy to ignore Atonement, but Juno was a surprise pick. So I got three out of five right.

Got all five Best Supporting Actors right, surprisingly. Go Affleck. Picked three for Best Actor - wasn't expecting Mortensen to get a nod, given Eastern Promises' underperformance in the States and - really - he wasn't that great in it, balls or not.

Nailed Original Screenplay. Four out of five for Adapted - the deflation of Charlie Wilson saw fit for Sorkin to be replaced by Polley. Fair enough.

Again, four out for five for Director - strange to snub Joe Wright, but Gilroy was probably a fairly safe bet given the Academy's dewey-eyed gaze at Michael Clayton. Nice to see Reitman get a nod, though.

Another 80% on Best Supporting Actress - and the only one I didn't pick was Ruby Dee, because I felt she barely registered in American Gangster. Kelly MacDonald should have taken that place, really - she was outstanding in No Country for Old Men.

< Message edited by Neth -- 22/1/2008 1:53:36 PM >

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 57
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 22/1/2008 2:11:50 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

OFFICIAL LIST OF NOMINEES (Incomplete)

Best Picture
  • Atonement
  • Juno
  • Michael Clayton
  • No Country for Old Men
  • There Will Be Blood

Best Original Screenplay
  • Juno
  • Lars and the Real Girl
  • Michael Clayton
  • Ratatouille
  • The Savages

Best Actor in a Leading Role
  • George Clooney, Michael Clayton
  • Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
  • Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd
  • Tommy Lee Jones, In the Valley of Elah
  • Viggo Mortensen, Eastern Promises

Best Actress in a Leading Role
  • Cate Blanchett, Elizabeth: The Golden Age
  • Julie Christie, Away from Her
  • Marion Cotillard, La Vie en Rose
  • Laura Linney, The Savages
  • Ellen Page, Juno

Best Supporting Actress
  • Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
  • Ruby Dee, American Gangster
  • Saoirse Ronan, Atonement
  • Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
  • Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton

Best Supporting Actor
  • Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
  • Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman, Charlie Wilson's War
  • Hal Holbrook, Into the Wild
  • Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton

Best Director
  • Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
  • Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men
  • Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton
  • Jason Reitman, Juno
  • Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Best Animated Picture
  • Ratatouille
  • Persepolis
  • Surf's Up

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 58
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 22/1/2008 2:12:01 PM   
Canon_Alberic

I went 4/5 for Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress. 3/5 for Actress and Adapted Screenplay and 5/5 for Original Screenplay. Not bad going. The only possible best picture winners now (if history is any judge) are No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood.

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 59
RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 - 22/1/2008 2:45:08 PM   
Harry Lime

Hmmm.

A disappointing 3/5 for Best Picture. It seems like I hugely underestimated Juno and Michael Clayton across the board. Still, I still believe that this is a two horse race between No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood. Nice to see Atonement get a nod. At least I was correct in one thing about Best Director... That is it usually mirrors the Best Picture nominations with one exception! This year it seems Atonement is the film that directed itself. Unlucky Joe Wright. Again 3/5 and I concede that I didn't see Tony Gilroy or Jason Reitman getting nommed! I'll stand by my prediction for the Coens to win for now though.

I know I said it was an open field but my best actor predictions were rubbish. 2/5 is terrible, especially when Daniel Day-Lewis is such a shoe-in. At least my Tommy Lee Jones prediction came through! I knew Clooney and Depp were strong possibilities but the biggest suprise for me is Viggo. I thought Eastern Promises was excellent but didn't think it would get the acting nod. I got 3/5 again for Best Actress. Massively suprised to see Blanchett get a nomination in this category but even more suprised to see Laura Linney there too... But in a very pleasant way. Linney is a superb actress.

A bit better at the supporting nominations. 4/5 in both. I didn't think Holbrook or Dee would get in. I really can't understand the love for the latters performance. It was a non-descript performance in a bloated, underwhelming film.

At least I got a full house in the Original Screenplay predictions!

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Awards and Festivals >> RE: OSCAR Predictions 2008 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI