Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Wow

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Wow Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wow - 22/12/2008 12:08:01 AM   
robotbobby

I enjoyed it. It was boring sometimes, but mostly because I was sleepy when I was watching it (what?)...

anyway, my major contribution to this thread:

I liked it, but not sure if it was worth buying since I doubt I'd watch it again.

I gotta say though the book style DVD case is gorgeous.

One day men will look back and say that I gave birth to the twentieth century.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 91
RE: Wow - 27/12/2008 10:54:17 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: robotbobby

I enjoyed it. It was boring sometimes, but mostly because I was sleepy when I was watching it (what?)...

anyway, my major contribution to this thread:

I liked it, but not sure if it was worth buying since I doubt I'd watch it again.

I gotta say though the book style DVD case is gorgeous.

hell yeh it is!
:)

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to robotbobby)
Post #: 92
RE: Wow - 29/12/2008 12:20:03 PM   
Drone

I fell asleep half way through, however it was simply because I was knackered from a boozing session... I thought Casey Affleck was superb; same for Gone Baby Gone.  Very good movie, not quite as effortless to sit through as some have pointed out, but worth an audience.  A slow burner.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 93
- 30/12/2008 10:23:24 PM   
Chimene

Brilliantly acted out...thought Brad Pitt did an amazing job. The special effects and some of the shots were magnificant....but....it was quite hard to follow at some bits...thats my only critisism. Overall a GREAT film.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 94
RE: - 2/1/2009 9:24:44 PM   
bristolbluebear

Picked it up at Zavvi for 5 dvd's for £30. It was the double disc edition and the dvd cover stood out alone. We did watch 3:10 to Yuma a few days before which I'm sure is another thread so had some comparison issues. Have to say very surprised. All in all very good film and acting was superb. Brad Pitt does give him the edge I'm sure the real Jesse James had and Casey Affleck you just feel so sorry for. You can just about imagine the States at that time with the dialogue they have. People trying to make a name for themselves anyway possible. Did not think it was too long and actually watched the special features afterwards about the truth behind the myth. The resemblance to actual people was eerie.

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

(in reply to Chimene)
Post #: 95
RE: RE: - 21/1/2009 4:56:15 PM   
Vitamin F

Beautiful cinematography, brilliantly acted but...I hated the intrusion of the narration, which I felt ruined the flow of an already stilted narrative (if that makes sense). At times this felt quite a bit longer than its 2.5 hour running time, and as well-crafted as it is, it's not something that I feel I would ever wish to revisit in its entirety again.
Too many lingering 'artsy' shots which did nothing for me but pad out that damn running time, and I genuinely thought that if several of the story points which were covered by the narrator had actually been shot and included instead of narrating them to us, then an even longer running time would have been better validated.
A shame, because so much of the beauty captured here could be framed and hung on a wall, and the cast really can't be faulted.
But as a single piece of work, it's just a bit...(whisper) dull...

(in reply to bristolbluebear)
Post #: 96
RE: RE: - 21/1/2009 10:04:04 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

Beautiful cinematography, brilliantly acted but...I hated the intrusion of the narration, which I felt ruined the flow of an already stilted narrative (if that makes sense). At times this felt quite a bit longer than its 2.5 hour running time, and as well-crafted as it is, it's not something that I feel I would ever wish to revisit in its entirety again.
Too many lingering 'artsy' shots which did nothing for me but pad out that damn running time, and I genuinely thought that if several of the story points which were covered by the narrator had actually been shot and included instead of narrating them to us, then an even longer running time would have been better validated.
A shame, because so much of the beauty captured here could be framed and hung on a wall, and the cast really can't be faulted.
But as a single piece of work, it's just a bit...(whisper) dull...

contradiction here?

you hang art on a wall btw.

just saying

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 97
RE: RE: - 22/1/2009 10:57:15 AM   
Vitamin F

I said there were 'too many'...I was trying to imply that 'some' are ok, but 'too many' are, well, too many. Feels a bit like 'let's linger a while longer becuase it makes this look more profound' just for the sake of it. Just my opinion.

Thanks for pointing out the art fact btw 

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 98
RE: RE: - 23/1/2009 1:33:50 AM   
the sangypange

watched it at the cinema and have just watched it again on dvd, i really liked it before but it gets so much better with the second veiwing, details thhat were missed before came up and it was easier to follow certain parts of the story, Affleck and Pitt are superb but i do think that Sam Rockwell ( very underrated actor) plays an exceptional part in the film as the worried older brother who has to come to turns with his actions and the actions of the ones he loves dear.
Im sure its been said before and i will say it again, the idea of casting pitt as james, is genius, to have have a character (person) like james, somebody who was known around the land coincides beutifully with the man having to play him.
5/5

What are you doing in my tent?
Im Listening to records

check out the Pange's 10 album covers
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2212151

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 99
RE: RE: - 23/1/2009 9:31:55 AM   
CORLEONE

Affleck and cinematography aside, it bored me. Doubt I'll ever watch it again. Probably the most over-rated film of the Noughties.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to the sangypange)
Post #: 100
RE: RE: - 23/1/2009 11:22:39 AM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

I said there were 'too many'...I was trying to imply that 'some' are ok, but 'too many' are, well, too many. Feels a bit like 'let's linger a while longer becuase it makes this look more profound' just for the sake of it. Just my opinion.

Thanks for pointing out the art fact btw 

hehe, don;'t worry i'm known round ere for my total and complete love for Jesse James

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 101
Superb! - 25/1/2009 7:39:38 AM   
THE DALTONATOR

i thought this film was absolutely amazing. The leading performances from Brad Pitt and Cassey Affleck were amazing and without a doubt oscar worthy and so much of the films brilliance is down to those 2 performances but even when they arent dominating the screen there is a fantastic supporting cast. it also directed and shot beautifully by andrew dominik and roger deakins as well as having a killer story and a brilliant script which kept me engaged throughout the whole story-line. This isn't an action packed film but more a phycological drama and a brilliant one at that and people who say the title and film it 2 long and that its boring well then you just arent appreciating this film for what it is and i am shocked this didn't get such nominations at the oscar such as best picture, director, actor, actor in a supporting role, screenplay, score and cinematography areas in which this film all excels in.

Post #: 102
The assasination of jesse james by the coward robert ford - 3/2/2009 7:51:45 PM   
Blue Ryan

A very good film. The beggining is superb; the ending is superb. Just the bits in the middle are slow. The cinematography is beutiful and the acting certainly cannot be critisised

Post #: 103
- 23/7/2009 7:51:07 PM   
sweetladybrick

I thought it was incredibly dull. I didn't even enjoy Sam Rockwell's presence, and that says something...

Post #: 104
- 20/8/2009 3:33:13 PM   
evildave69

Supreme.

Post #: 105
Could a film be so visually appealing yet so dull - 6/2/2010 11:42:00 PM   
LFCLavery

You would expect a film with Brad Pitt to be partially interesting (couple of gripping scenes, maybe some action) but this wasnt. Individually the actors were superb and the cinematography was very appealing, but the plot took 2 stars off this film. Perfect example that the plot is everything.

Post #: 106
One of the best westerns of recent times - 14/5/2010 12:18:59 PM   
!xHoTRoDx!

This masterpiece has so many unbelievably good performances and such gorgeous cinematography that it is damn near impossible for anybody to not like it, apart from people I class as gore-seeking-retards who don't appreciate a piece of art when they see one.

Post #: 107
Absolutely Excellent - Dumb Dumbs don't get it thought - 25/9/2010 9:57:44 PM   
monkeyhumour

Another great performance by Brad Pitt, who I love
And Casey Affleck with this and Gone Baby Gone making him a really interesting actor (more than his brother, who is a wonderful director). And Andrew Dominik follows up beautifully from Chopper

Post #: 108
RE: Absolutely Excellent - Dumb Dumbs don't get it thought - 14/12/2010 2:20:06 AM   
Wizzums

Pitt is excellent, a very strong, appealing performance. Affleck is also excellent, but in a different way. Since you know the character's final motive going into the film (Hint: its in the title), the Affleck made his character interesting by starting the film as a young fanboy and then gradually turning him into a jelous rival, while still maintaining some childish qualities in his performance, along with an extremely creepy feeling he has about him. Cinematography was gorgeous and the 2 and 1/2 hour running time just flew by. Outstanding.

(in reply to monkeyhumour)
Post #: 109
Exellent - 28/3/2011 9:22:16 AM   
the film man

This has the be one of the best westerns ever made. Brad and Casey are exellent.

Post #: 110
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert F... - 3/3/2012 10:24:10 PM   
the film man

On the strength of two fantastic lead performances from Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck The Assassination of Jesse James is an expertly crafted period piece which shows writer, director Andrew Dominik's love for the genre, and and insightful look at one of the enduring figures of American lore.

Post #: 111
Depressing - 29/9/2012 4:00:04 PM   
danielthompson99

Beautifully shot and well acted. I had to put on something cheerful for myself to watch after this.
God it's dull ! The 5 star review and recent Empire special on Brad's best hits forced me to check this out. Alike Lost in Translation, maybe I just don't get it. Maybe I'm too into adreniline fueled fizz bang hollywood schmokum. Even so I can't ever imagine myself ever wanting to watch this drivel again.

Post #: 112
"You know what I expected... applause." - 14/12/2012 12:59:02 AM   
movienut707

Andrew Dominik's searingly beautiful vision serves as a poignant and thought-provoking portrait of the legendary outlaw. For the first time, a director has captured Jesse James' humanity on celluloid, showing us a man, not just some phony action hero. Accented by exquisite performances and a haunting score, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is an unforgettable film of immense, undeniable power.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 14/12/2012 1:03:33 AM >

Post #: 113
Masterpiece - 13/2/2013 12:53:59 AM   
Mr Gittes

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford is a stunningly beautiful and poetic movie, with amazing performances, a great script, magnificent direction, wonderful music, and truly gorgeous cinematography. One of, if not the greatest western made so far this century.

Post #: 114
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Wow Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI