Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Brilliant

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Brilliant Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brilliant - 31/3/2008 5:06:48 PM   
jcallan

Buy it or you're a loser.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
- 31/3/2008 6:22:54 PM   
dunner05

It's tempting to say that in the Affleck family, Ben got the looks and Casey got the talent; except Ben has a face like a crescent moon on a balmy night. The younger Affleck conveys more emotion with one heavy-lidded glance than the erstwhile Mr J-Lo has managed in his entire career. Oh, and Pitt is brilliant too. Best film of 2007? Certainly a strong contender

Post #: 62
- 1/4/2008 4:41:26 PM   
jonjon2nd

I've been waiting to see this film since it came out but our gay local cinema didn't show so I managed to watch it yesterday and i was not dissappointed. It is amazingly directed, amazingly acted, amazingly written and based on a brilliant story. So, if you haven't already, WATCH IT!!!!!!

Post #: 63
FIVE STARS - 1/4/2008 5:27:12 PM   
bobbyperu

Robert Altmans (McCabe and Mrs Miller) meets Terrence Malicks (Days of Heaven) and quite simply the best western since Eastwoods (Unforgiven)

Post #: 64
The most beautiful movie ever made. - 11/4/2008 7:50:59 PM   
nc_jj

Really touching, subtle, tragic, poetic and deep. Great Movie. Highly recommended.

Post #: 65
- 11/4/2008 7:51:58 PM   
nc_jj

The very best western since 'Unforgiven'. Period.

Post #: 66
- 11/4/2008 7:52:00 PM   
nc_jj

The very best western since 'Unforgiven'. Period.

Post #: 67
Not Very Good. - 12/4/2008 6:00:25 PM   
joanna likes films

I'm sorry but this movie dosen't really shine as a five star movie. It's too overlong and with so many people in it, it could drive you mind. Sure the landscapes were beautiful to look at but with a stupid script spoiling it all. Why does it need two hours and thirty minutes? More like a hour and fifty, so much chat! But the perfomances were outstanding, Brad Pitt suited the role but looked fat and getting old. The best one out of the lot was Casey Affeck, he was creepy and disturbing but quite chasmatic as the coward Robert Ford. So with a stupid time running and silly words put together with the lovely landscapes and excellent perfomances, I will only give it three.

Post #: 68
A Superb Movie - 21/4/2008 9:22:43 AM   
blaud

A brilliant film with mesmerising performances. Without a doubt, Film of the Year

Post #: 69
Old Slow Hand - 28/4/2008 8:39:15 AM   
Geosolus

This film really captures the boredom of the era. It was pleasing to see a film based on historical events that creates the vibe of living in those times, however this film does not make for compulsive viewing. The slow pace gives it it's mood and a feeling of emptiness which corresponds to the soul searching theme throughout. The how's and why's the characters do what they do are indepth and interesting but take just a bit too long to develop which can at points make for a lack of interest in the whole story.

Post #: 70
:-O - 2/5/2008 4:05:38 PM   
will.ej.07

This is, hands down, THE most beautiful and most visionary films I have ever seen. It's Gorgeous!
I was a little bit unsure when I read that it was like 98% dialogue based but once I saw it, by god I enjoyed it. If there is one film that you see before you die. Please, please, please make it this one. It's amazing, its wonderful, its moving, visionary. And it's bloody beautiful to watch

Post #: 71
- 10/5/2008 12:21:24 PM   
wakachaka

Pardon me...snoozefest..

Post #: 72
Affleck or Pitt - 15/5/2008 6:35:07 PM   
gareth_082

A slow but beautiful piece of cinema. So Much hype/praise was heaped on casey afflecks performance of Robert Ford, but for me Brad Pitt was outstanding as JJ. Worth buying the brilliant special edition dvd for Pitt's performance alone.

Post #: 73
- 17/5/2008 6:18:20 PM   
willchadwick

Haunting, diverse, deep and intellectual film making at its best. A wonderful elegiac tale of the infamous outlaw and his assassin. One of the best films of the last year and one of the best of all time.

Post #: 74
- 17/5/2008 6:18:56 PM   
willchadwick

OH YES EMPIRE, The Bourne Ultimatum is a far superior film.

Post #: 75
- 23/6/2008 1:28:42 PM   
shawshank prisoner

one of the best films of the century.

Post #: 76
The Last Great Film I Watched (come on Dark Knight!!Don... - 14/7/2008 9:56:39 PM   
smokingwillie

The marriage of Andrew Dominiks visuals and Nick Caves music creates a transcendental mood that is hypnotic and haunting.This is a great film with a great script and a great cast ( Paul Schneiders' Dick Liddl is amazing).Why doesn't Andrew Dominik get more coverage?His frst two are as good as Tarantinos... & Bradley Pitts plays a brilliant paranoid wreck!

Post #: 77
Excellent - 18/7/2008 9:10:21 PM   
Funk_Knight

This film may seem slow but it al starts to come together by the end. You fully understand what you just witnessed and the significance. Sure it may mean more to a US audience, but by the end you really feel like you have explorerd what and who these people are. One last thing... why do people seldom mention Sam Rockwell, sure Pitt and Affleck were stunning, but so was he.

Post #: 78
RE: Excellent - 26/7/2008 10:41:55 AM   
iamjacksusername

Im not big western fan but this film was very enjoyable, it took its time, but suited the film perfectly. I enjoyed the relationship between the characters but most of all enjoyed the attention to detail throughout. Stunning to look at aswell.

(in reply to Funk_Knight)
Post #: 79
RE: The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robe... - 29/7/2008 9:11:33 PM   
thepluginbaby

I finally saw this on DVD the other day.  Having seen it on the small screen I am envious of all who got the chance to see it on the big screen.  It is a beautifully crafted film that banks on subtelty.  I couldn't get over how good Brad Pitt was.  I'm a big fan of his anyway but the way he appears at once heroic and horrific exceeds the likes of Tyler Durden.  I remember most the scene in which he interrogates a member of his crew.  The compexion of his face and his stare is enough to break that prettyboy image.  Casey Affleck is also great in portraying a character who essentially matures from boy to man, but ultimately appears flawed because of his actions as a boy.  

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Spectre)
Post #: 80
RE: The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robe... - 2/8/2008 2:31:44 AM   
Wessing

mad movie, really good all around.  It had great performances from casey affleck and brad pitt, aswell as sam rockwell.  This movie, surprisingly, was better than i thought, considering the lack of and sort of hype.  It got mostly good reviews, but still, there was no hype to it.  Great storyline, great movie. a must see

Thank your mother for pointing that out

Post #: 81
Wow - 31/8/2008 11:39:38 PM   
lettielovesgary

Wow is indeed all i can say after watching this film!
Casey Afflecks incredible acting kept me going throughout the entire film. It's Roberts and Jesses releationship which is one of the most beautiful pieces of film i have witnessed.
5 stars for the cinematography - it was incredible.

Post #: 82
RE: Wow - 15/9/2008 5:12:11 PM   
Scabby

Really enjoyed the film but felt it needed to be longer, especially towards the end (Although, I was watching it at work and so I had frequent breaks to serve customers), also felt the narration in places was not needed in certain areas of the film, noteably when Ford is going through James' bedroom when he is off at church. Great film though, Affleck and Pitt were superb as was most of the supporting cast. Would be keen to see a directors cut in the future.

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to lettielovesgary)
Post #: 83
- 25/9/2008 5:05:37 PM   
Hamsterwalt

Classy Film

Post #: 84
- 30/9/2008 8:31:26 PM   
willchadwick

An incredible cinematic achievement, even at 160 minutes long it never over stays its welcome and it never becomes dull. Exceptional acting from all the cast, beautiful photography, a haunting score and a film that is actually about something. A western with a twist.

Post #: 85
Gorgeous - 22/11/2008 12:34:26 PM   
Caster

Affleck's performance comes out of nowhere and kicks you in the balls its so good. Pitt is also on top form proving he's not just a pretty face, and never has been. Beautifully shot too. A little long but that's a minor complaint. One of this year's best films.

Post #: 86
RE: Gorgeous - 19/12/2008 7:44:19 PM   
DanCurley

Only just finished watching the blu ray I bought well over a month ago. Absolutely magnificent. Didn't think I'd like it (I'd rather listen to Lovejoy call people cocksuckers in Deadwood than long, lingering poetry) but was just stunned at the sheer beauty of its script, pacing, camera work and monumental acting (Casey A... you can't believe someone so fucking talented shares the same genes with Ben Affleck).

Can't see myself repeat watching something this long and somber in the immediate future, but it's defo coming out again in about six months.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 87
Overated - 20/12/2008 10:20:22 PM   
Rokmabisniz

I was hoping for a Deadwood on the big screen, but got dead boring! A struggle to get through. Yeah its well acted, yeah some of it looks great, but it ended up being a clock watcher. I like my westerns slightly more traditional. This is a western in the vain of the war film The Thin Red Line for me, I was not keen on that either, surprise surprise.

Post #: 88
RE: Wow - 21/12/2008 9:55:17 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scabby

Really enjoyed the film but felt it needed to be longer, especially towards the end (Although, I was watching it at work and so I had frequent breaks to serve customers), also felt the narration in places was not needed in certain areas of the film, noteably when Ford is going through James' bedroom when he is off at church. Great film though, Affleck and Pitt were superb as was most of the supporting cast. Would be keen to see a directors cut in the future.

there is apparently a 4 hour cut that was shown in a few festivals (where Pitt won an actors award, can't remember if any other awards were given to it). I'd love to see that...

And to see it on Blu-Ray.
still i got the awesome SE with the book. Very very nice.

one of my definate favoruite films.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 89
RE: Wow - 21/12/2008 10:23:38 PM   
DanCurley

Once "the deed" was done and I was horrified to notice half an hour left to run, expecting some padded out Return of the King horseshit. The rise, fall and eventual outcome for Robert Ford might well be the most beautifully told half hour of story telling since the start of Chopper when he's in nick. It's just so mesmerising how someone can go from stage play superstar to one of the most hated, then eventually shotgun blasted, villains, without actually doing anything inparticular during that rollercoaster (bar chin a few audience members).

Defo getting the book so I can read more into the whole thing.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Brilliant Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI