Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Rear Window Now Reviewed (13/05/06)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Rear Window Now Reviewed (13/05/06) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Rear Window Now Reviewed (13/05/06) - 13/5/2006 6:23:17 PM   
furrybastard

Check out Strangers On A Train as well - I love that film!

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 91
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Rear Window Now Reviewed (13/05/06) - 13/5/2006 6:24:30 PM   
Zatoichi

Rear Window and Strangers on a Train are definetly my favourites.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 92
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Rear Window Now Reviewed (13/05/06) - 13/5/2006 6:25:26 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

My favourite Hitchcocks are North By Northwest, Vertigo and Psycho, followed by Strangers On A Train, The Birds, Rope, Rear Window and The Wrong Man. All show his wide talents within the thriller genre.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 93
Leomuse’s Tapes - Waking Life Now Reviewed (28/05/06) - 28/5/2006 11:40:38 AM   
Leomuse

28.)
Waking Life
Richard Linklater
099 minutes
USA
1st viewing
Date viewed: Sunday 28th May 2006

"I mean, I'm not saying that you don't know what you're talking about, but I don't know what you're talking about."

Richard Linklater used the rotoscoping technique to create this interesting blend of live-action and animation. Wiley Wiggins (most famous for playing Mitch Kramer in Dazed and Confused) goes through a sequence of odd encounters with some (mostly) intriguing people in a dream that he can't seem to escape from. Along the way, everyone he encounters shares their own personal musings concerning matters of life, death, reality and the dreamworld, whilst the viewer sees a variety of different animated styles used throughout. Whilst many of the people (including those played by Steven Soderbergh and Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, in a nice homage to Before Sunrise) provide an intriguing watch, the whole film overall feels a tad self-indulgent and ultimately not very satisfying, despite the visually-appealing nature. I would still recommend it, but don't expect something as entertaining as most of Linklater's other films.

Rating:
6/10

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 29/8/2006 1:41:06 PM >

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 94
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Waking Life Now Reviewed (28/05/06) - 28/5/2006 5:39:32 PM   
Leomuse

Linklater ranked:

1. Dazed and Confused  [1993]  -  ****
2. Before Sunrise  [1995]  -  ****
3. Waking Life  [2001]  -  **1/2
4. The School of Rock  [2003]  -  **

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 95
Leomuse’s Tapes - The Poseidon Adventure Now Reviewed (... - 17/6/2006 10:46:43 AM   
Leomuse

29.)
The Poseidon Adventure
Ronald Neame
117 minutes
USA
1st viewing
Date viewed: Saturday 17th June 2006

"It seems to be piling up in those shallows... By the way, happy New Year."

A very good blockbuster and one of the better disaster films. Shelley Winters, Leslie Nielson, Popeye Doyle, Dirty Dozen Man and Uncle Joe as well as others are amongst the cast that are trying to make their way out of an upside-down boat with potentially disasterous results. I'm not exactly sure how to properly review a disaster movie in an articulate way, so I'll just say that it was never dull, very fun, often thrilling and sometimes very sad.

Rating:
7/10

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 29/8/2006 1:42:00 PM >

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 96
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - The Poseidon Adventure Now Review... - 17/6/2006 1:59:31 PM   
Leomuse

By the way, now that my exams are over, I should be able to view a lot more of these films and a lot more often. Another review may be up today.

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 97
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - The Poseidon Adventure Now Review... - 17/6/2006 4:05:25 PM   
DesolationRow

Maybe you should put up a list of the ones still to watch for those of us (ie me) who are too busy/lazy to view the whole thread.

"If you look up 'idiot' in the dictionary, you know what you'll find?"
"A picture of me?"
"No, the definition of an idiot, which is what you are!"

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 98
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - The Poseidon Adventure Now Review... - 17/6/2006 4:08:06 PM   
Leomuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: DesolationRow

Maybe you should put up a list of the ones still to watch for those of us (ie me) who are too busy/lazy to view the whole thread.

There is a list. It's in the first post of the thread.

(in reply to DesolationRow)
Post #: 99
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - The Poseidon Adventure Now Review... - 17/6/2006 5:30:00 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Nice to see this thread back. Have you seen many other 70's disaster film such as The Towering Inferno, Earthquake, Airport? How do rate The Poseidon Adventure against them?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 100
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - The Poseidon Adventure Now Review... - 17/6/2006 6:33:30 PM   
Leomuse

The Poseidon Adventure is actually the first old-school disaster film that I've seen. Before this, the oldest one I had seen was... Airplane. The Towering Inferno looks pretty fun. I'm not very interested in the Airport films though.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 101
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - The Poseidon Adventure Now Review... - 17/6/2006 7:13:01 PM   
Spider

What's up next Leomuse? I think you should go for either Full Metal Jacket or The Thin Red Line, the latter being one of favourite films ever, it's quite a trawl though!

I need to free up some tape space at the moment with some good films coming up, the difference is though, I'm talking about 9 tapes, you seem to have about 90!

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 102
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - The Poseidon Adventure Now Review... - 17/6/2006 8:27:49 PM   
Mozza

I love the Poseidon Adventure.  Steer clear of the sequel though.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 103
Leomuse’s Tapes - Beetlejuice Now Reviewed - 17/6/2006 11:40:28 PM   
Leomuse

30.)
Beetlejuice
Tim Burton
092 minutes
USA
1st viewing
Date viewed: Saturday 17th June 2006

"Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified?"

Burton's madcap horror comedy is one of his best films and probably his best film that doesn't involve aliens, filmmakers or scissors. Much of the cast can be thanked for the genuinely funny moments, though Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis are probably the weak links. Winona Ryder is good and Catherine O' Hara almost steals the whole film from Michael Keaton in the title role (though surprisingly, altogether, he's probably only in the film for about eighteen minutes or so). Like most of Burton's films it is an extraordinary film to look at and would be worth a recommendation for the visuals alone. Unlike some of Burton's latter work, the style is backed up by some great substance and the film is a hell of a lot of fun.

Rating:
8/10

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 29/8/2006 1:42:36 PM >

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 104
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Beetlejuice Now Reviewed - 17/6/2006 11:56:08 PM   
Leomuse

Mr. Burton ranked:

1. Ed Wood  [1994]  -  ****
2. Mars Attacks!  [1996]  -  ***1/2
3. Edward Scissorhands  [1990]  -  ***1/2
4. Beetlejuice  [1988]  -  ***1/2
5. Big Fish  [2003]  -  ***
6. Sleepy Hollow  [1999]  -  ***
7. Tim Burton's Corpse Bride  [2005]  -  **1/2
8. Batman Returns  [1992]  -  **
9. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory  [2005]  -  **
10. Batman  [1989]  -  **
11. Planet of the Apes  [2001]  -  *

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 105
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Beetlejuice Now Reviewed - 18/6/2006 5:46:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

It's been quite a while since I last saw Beetlejuice. I've probably seen all of Burton's films more recently. I remember it being great fun though.

Nice to see Ed Wood at the top of your list. It's a fantastic film, almost perfect. I'd also give top marks to Edward Scissorhands and Big Fish. I'm also a fan of Planet Of The Apes, certainly not a 1* film

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 106
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Beetlejuice Now Reviewed - 18/6/2006 11:42:35 AM   
DesolationRow

I know Burton didn't direct it, but Nightmare before Christmas is an absolute classic. The humour is brilliantly quirky, and the animation is excellent.
Apologies for my above stupidity. In my defence, I wasn't paying attention when I read the first page, because my brother was about to come home and kick me off his computer.

"A picture of me?"

Post #: 107
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Beetlejuice Now Reviewed - 18/6/2006 2:41:10 PM   
Leomuse

quote:

I know Burton didn't direct it, but Nightmare before Christmas is an absolute classic. The humour is brilliantly quirky, and the animation is excellent.
Apologies for my above stupidity. In my defence, I wasn't paying attention when I read the first page, because my brother was about to come home and kick me off his computer.

That's okay. I know what that's like.

NBC is great. I grew up with that film. Though I now only watch it at Halloween or Christmas.

Post #: 108
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Beetlejuice Now Reviewed - 18/6/2006 2:53:59 PM   
Leomuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

It's been quite a while since I last saw Beetlejuice. I've probably seen all of Burton's films more recently. I remember it being great fun though.

Nice to see Ed Wood at the top of your list. It's a fantastic film, almost perfect. I'd also give top marks to Edward Scissorhands and Big Fish. I'm also a fan of Planet Of The Apes, certainly not a 1* film

Ed Wood is a masterpiece. Probably one of my top ten favourite films.

Post #: 109
Leomuse’s Tapes - Malick and Miyazaki Films Now Reviewed - 19/6/2006 2:55:22 PM   
Leomuse

31.)
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Hayao Miyazaki
124 minutes
Japan
1st viewing
Date viewed: Sunday 18th June 2006

"That tree's gettin' away with our treasure!"

Miyazaki's tale of pirates, robots, military folk and flying kingdoms is probably his most action-packed film and so is likely to be the film of his that is the most accessible. Surprisingly though, after seeing the majority of his filmography and being blown away by most of it, I think that only now have I come across his best film. Laputa contains everything that a great adventure film should have: likable characters, fantastic set-pieces, a true sense of discovery and risk, and great pacing. This film has fantastic animation even after twenty years and it does not look or feel dated at all. This is probably Miyazaki's most fun film to watch due to the reasons mentioned above as well as great humour and the sense of wonder it provides.

Rating:
10/10

32.)
The Thin Red Line
Terrence Malick
170 minutes
USA
1st viewing
Date viewed: Monday 19th June 2006

"Where's your spark now?"

The most beautifully constructed and shot war film ever made. Mallick's ensemble piece is both very thrilling and moving. It is a great juxtaposition of both humanity and the terror of war, as well as philosophy. Truly stunning cinematography, great performances all round from a star-studded cast and perfect direction are the film's major positive aspects. The editing has often been criticized, as many feel that it drags on, but I only felt this for a very short period of time in the middle of the film. I don't think that the editing is a problem and the slight lag in the middle did not affect the whole film in a negative way. It was very much an enchanting experience of a sort watching this film.

Rating:
9/10

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 29/8/2006 1:43:07 PM >

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 110
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Malick and Miyazaki Films Now Rev... - 19/6/2006 2:59:54 PM   
DesolationRow

Might I recommend Dr. Strangelove and The Pink Panther? To be viewed together, for the perfect Sellers experience.

"A picture of me?"

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 111
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Malick and Miyazaki Films Now Rev... - 19/6/2006 3:00:45 PM   
Leomuse

quote:

Might I recommend Dr. Strangelove and The Pink Panther? To be viewed together, for the perfect Sellers experience.

Interesting idea. In which order though?

Post #: 112
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Malick and Miyazaki Films Now Rev... - 19/6/2006 3:02:55 PM   
Leomuse

For the sake of it, Terrence Malick ranked:

1. The Thin Red Line  [1998]  -  ****
2. Badlands  [1973]  -  **1/2

I'm now very much looking forward to The New World.

I'll rank Miyazaki after I see My Neighbour Totoro.

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 113
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Malick and Miyazaki Films Now Rev... - 19/6/2006 3:09:33 PM   
DesolationRow

Depends on what you're looking for, really. For a good slice of black satire, go for Strangelove. If you want something lighter, Panther. Although I actually think the second Pink Panther is better, the first is good too. 

"A picture of me?"

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 114
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Malick and Miyazaki Films Now Rev... - 19/6/2006 3:16:04 PM   
Leomuse

I've seen A Shot in the Dark and liked it a lot. I might go with The Pink Panther first then.

Post #: 115
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Malick and Miyazaki Films Now Rev... - 19/6/2006 3:23:17 PM   
DesolationRow

That's the one! A Shot in the Dark! Cheers.

"A picture of me?"

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 116
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Malick and Miyazaki Films Now Rev... - 19/6/2006 4:27:38 PM   
Spider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leomuse

For the sake of it, Terrence Malick ranked:

1. The Thin Red Line  [1998]  -  ****
2. Badlands  [1973]  -  **1/2

I'm now very much looking forward to The New World.

I'm pleased you like The Thin Red Line, it really is an amazing film! I think you should watch Days of Heaven before The New World, the former is his second best, the latter is his worst! I also think you should rewatch Badlands because it is also a brilliant film!

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 117
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Malick and Miyazaki Films Now Rev... - 19/6/2006 6:02:52 PM   
Leomuse

I want to see Days of Heaven, but I actually have The New World available to me, so I'll probably see that first.

Concerning Badlands, I first saw it at about 1am last August and on a small black and white TV. Not exactly the best way to view a Malick film. I'll rewatch it when I get the chance.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 118
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes: or How I Learned How to Stop Being... - 19/6/2006 8:55:06 PM   
jenzie

speaking of taping films off the tv, and not watching them .....
remember the premier of DANNY CHAMPION OF THE WORLD on itv (very early nineties) .....
haven't watched it .....

the terrestrial premiers of RENEGADES and FLASHBACK and a whole slew of others .....
haven't seen them .....

i am totally rubbish

ALIENS: yes, i still have the damn hat on ..... WANNA TAKE IT OFF ME????
HUMANS: well, yes .....
ALIENS: ACTIVATE THE STUPID HUMAN RAY!!!!!

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/jenzie

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 119
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes: or How I Learned How to Stop Being... - 20/6/2006 12:39:47 PM   
DesolationRow

I was inspired to watch Strangelove again myself last night. For the first time, I really concentrated on the satire, and viewed it through the lens of the 60's. Viewed as black comedy, it's very good. Viewed as a satire of Cold War paranoia, it's untouchable. And from some things I've heard about Kennedy/Johnson era America, it's worringly true...

"A picture of me?"

(in reply to jenzie)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Rear Window Now Reviewed (13/05/06) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI