Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Road to Perdition Now Reviewed (25/03/06)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Road to Perdition Now Reviewed (25/03/06) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Road to Perdition Now Reviewed (2... - 26/3/2006 3:50:31 AM   
Gazz

No, I loved Road To Perdition also. And as a fan of the graphic novel also I can tell you that they captured the mood and tone perfectly. Hanks performance was spot on. His character was never a bad guy and the story was never revolved about his status as a "bad guy". The story was always about a relationship between father and son. Brilliant film.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 61
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Road to Perdition Now Reviewed (2... - 28/3/2006 5:31:12 PM   
Leomuse

19.)
Born on the Fourth of July
Oliver Stone
145 minutes
USA
1st viewing
Date viewed: Monday 27th March 2006

"Oh, for Christ's sake, Ronnie, we all made mistakes. I mean, you -- you had no choice. That's something that those goddamn pansy demonstrators ain't never gonna understand! Now, you don't even have to talk about it, Ronnie; I mean, it was insane over there! It was crazy!"

Oliver Stone's tale of a patriot's fall from grace proves to be one of the greatest war films ever made, as well as one of the highlight films of the 1980s. Stone's Oscar-winning direction is fantastic and the story itself is captivating and successfully epic. The film looks superb from start to finish. Tom Cruise delivers what is probably his best performances to date and one that deservedly got him an Oscar nomination. He's helped by a good supporting cast, with Frank Whaley (Swimming with Sharks) being a particular highlight as a fellow veteran from his home town. The fact that the film sends out important ideas without being too preachy is also something to be applauded. This is one of Cruise's and Stone's greatest achievements.

Rating:
9/10

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 29/8/2006 1:26:52 PM >

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 62
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Road to Perdition Now Reviewed (2... - 28/3/2006 8:42:11 PM   
Leomuse

Bump on the 28th of March!

(That has to be the greatest bump pun in the entire thread so far.)

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 63
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Road to Perdition Now Reviewed (2... - 28/3/2006 11:50:14 PM   
R.J.MacReady

Depite the plaudits for Cruise's performance, I feel overall the film is not given just credit when Vietnam films are discussed. I am delighted to see another fan on these boards.

I just locked an open door... strange, yet symbolically compelling.

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 64
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Road to Perdition Now Reviewed (2... - 29/3/2006 4:35:47 PM   
Leomuse

It is a great film. My search for decent-quality images on the internet gave me an idea of how unpopular it seems to be.

In terms of Vietnam war films, this is how I would rank the ones I've seen:
1. Apocalypse Now   ****
2. Born on the Fourth of July    ****
3. The Killing Fields    ****
4. Tigerland   **

(in reply to R.J.MacReady)
Post #: 65
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Oldboy Now Reviewed (01/04/06) - 1/4/2006 12:15:36 PM   
Leomuse

20.)
Oldboy
Chan-wook Park
120 minutes
South Korea
1st viewing
Date viewed: Friday 31st March 2006

"What I am isn't important. WHY is important."

A gripping and fascinating thriller. The 'poster boy' film of the current crop of extreme Asian cinema is an emotionally brutal but also damn cool and exciting experience. Chan Wook-park's direction is superb. Min-sik Choi delivers one of the finest performances of the 21st century as Oh Dae-su and Ji-tae Yu makes for one of the best villains. The plot keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat. The exposure of the truth about Oh Dae-su's imprisonment and the people he has become close with is truly shocking. A slight drag in the middle section lets the film down but other than that it's one of the best films of the last five years.

Rating:
8/10

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 29/8/2006 1:27:42 PM >

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 66
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Oldboy Now Reviewed (01/04/06) - 1/4/2006 12:20:26 PM   
Zatoichi

Nice one, Leomuse, though add an extra half and you're right there.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 67
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Oldboy Now Reviewed (01/04/06) - 1/4/2006 12:28:27 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

You say how everything is superb, and how an actor gives one of the finest performances of the 21st century, yet you don't give it more that ***1/2 stars ?!

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 68
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Oldboy Now Reviewed (01/04/06) - 1/4/2006 12:36:11 PM   
Leomuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: i007_Bond_007i

You say how everything is superb, and how an actor gives one of the finest performances of the 21st century, yet you don't give it more that ***1/2 stars ?!

Quiet you. I've added my reasoning.

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 1/4/2006 12:39:39 PM >

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 69
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Doug Liman's Go Now Reviewed (01/... - 1/4/2006 8:39:46 PM   
Leomuse

21.)
Go
Doug Liman
103 minutes
USA
1st viewing
Date viewed: Saturday 1st April 2006

"They can't evict you on Christmas! Then you'd be ho-ho-homeless!"

Three stories set on one messed-up Christmas Eve are told here, with each centering around the events of a drug deal. Liman gets the most out of his impressive cast, with particular highlights being the always-reliable Timothy Olyphant as well as Taye Diggs, Sarah Polley, William Fichtner, Katie Holmes and former Grange Hill star Desmond Askew. The ways in which the three tales are linked are impressive. Liman was clearly influenced by the structure and some of the content of Pulp Fiction when he made this. The second tale, involving Diggs and Askew's mishaps in Las Vegas, is the highlight of the film, and whilst the other two aren't bad, the third tale certainly feels below par compared to the two that proceeded it. A concluding segment makes up for this though as everything comes together in downright hilarious fashion. Liman has here made a very funny and entertaining film.

Rating:
7/10

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 29/8/2006 1:28:51 PM >

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 70
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - For a Few Dollars More Now Review... - 3/4/2006 4:20:49 PM   
Leomuse

22.)
For a Few Dollars More
Sergio Leone
130 minutes
Italy
1st viewing
Date viewed: Monday 3rd April 2006

"Where life had no value, death, sometimes, had its price. That is why the bounty killers appeared."

Sergio Leone's follow-up to the spectacular A Fistful of Dollars had an increase in length, scale as well as the addition of a new protagonist in Lee Van Clef. Eastwood's at the top of his game here and his chemistry with the equally brilliant Van Clef is great. This installment's more basic plot actually proves to be an asset as does the fact that, this time round, Leone isn't remaking an Kurosawa film. The action scenes are great as usual and the villains are also an improvement over those in the first film. As per usual with Leone, the film looks magnificent and Ennio Morricone's scoring is some of the best ever. To think that such an entertaining and epic-feeling film was made on such a small budget is astounding.

Rating:
9/10

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 29/8/2006 1:29:27 PM >

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 71
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - For a Few Dollars More Now Review... - 3/4/2006 9:07:55 PM   
Leomuse

Bump.

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 72
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - 28 Days Later Now Reviewed (08/04... - 8/4/2006 3:04:07 PM   
Leomuse

23.)
28 Days Later...
Danny Boyle
113 minutes
UK
1st viewing
Date viewed: Saturday 8th April 2006

"The end is extremely fucking nigh."

Danny Boyle's return to form is one of the best horror films in years. The decision to shoot the film with digital video helps to enhance the concept and make the situation seem all too real, tense and horrific. A small but strong cast help it, with Cillian Murphy and Naomie Harris being great, along with a standout turn from Brendan Gleeson. The film's emphasis on the effects on human nature in such a crisis, rather than the creatures causing the chaos makes for a refreshing change. A shift in tone towards the end of the film may put some people off but I feel that Boyle makes it work successfully and makes it as enthralling as the rest of the film.

Rating:
8/10

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 29/8/2006 1:30:57 PM >

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 73
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - 28 Days Later Now Reviewed (08/04... - 8/4/2006 10:42:57 PM   
Leomuse

Bump.

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 74
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - The Exorcist Now Reviewed (10/04/06) - 10/4/2006 12:51:40 PM   
Leomuse

24.)
The Exorcist
William Friedkin
122 minutes
USA
1st viewing
Date viewed: Monday 10th April 2006

"Your mother's in here, Karras. Would you like to leave a message? I'll see that she gets it."

Here we have one of the few highly-acclaimed horror films that actually lives up to its praise. Friedkin's film is a slow one but this works to its advantage. I became very unsettled by the slow development of Regan's possession after finding her and her mother very likable characters at the beginning of the film. The atmosphere Friedkin creates is magnificent and is particularly helped by the Oscar-winning sound effects and the design of the film. The film is haunting enough even without the now famous images like the one above. Friedkin's cast are very successful with Ellen Burstyn and Jason Miller on brilliant form and Linda Blair's Regan being one of the best child performances ever put on film. One of my few complaints with the director's cut version that I saw would be that the opening sequence in Iraq is far too drawn out. I felt that the Father Merrin character should have been developed more despite this long opening with him, which I felt was poor. Overall though, it's a brilliant film. One of the best of the genre and one of the best films of that decade.

Rating:
8/10

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 29/8/2006 1:31:19 PM >

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 75
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - The Exorcist Now Reviewed (10/04/06) - 10/4/2006 11:24:52 PM   
Leomuse

Bump.

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 76
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly No... - 13/4/2006 11:15:45 AM   
Leomuse

25.)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Sergio Leone
161 minutes
Italy
1st viewing
Date viewed: Wednesday 12th April 2006

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."

Quite possibly the most mind-blowing film that I have ever seen. Pure cinematic perfection. This may very well be the best film I've ever seen.

Rating:
10/10

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 29/8/2006 1:31:41 PM >

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 77
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly No... - 13/4/2006 9:38:01 PM   
Leomuse

Bump.

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 78
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - On Temporary Hiatus - 14/4/2006 1:26:13 PM   
Leomuse

Well, I think I'm going to leave for a while. I have exams coming up and this place is far too much of a distraction. This thread was barely getting any feedback anyway. I should reach the end of the exam period in about eight weeks. With a little luck, I may pop up again but probably just to add to this thread if I have some spare time. This is Leomuse, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off.

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 79
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - On Temporary Hiatus - 14/4/2006 6:28:48 PM   
furrybastard

Good luck in your exams! I know there's not much feedback but I do always read this thread when it's updated. I've got a hell of a lot of films to get through, including the Dollars trilogy which I've had since Spetember and not watched yet! Your reviews really made me want to see them now - I was always put off by Westerns but wanted to give the genre's most famous films a shot.

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 80
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - On Temporary Hiatus - 10/5/2006 6:32:26 PM   
Leomuse

You know how I said I would post the occasional update? It's about to happen. This post is basically a bump.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 81
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Brazil Now Reviewed (10/05/06) - 10/5/2006 6:42:55 PM   
Leomuse

26.)
Brazil
Terry Gilliam
131 minutes
UK
1st viewing
Date viewed: Sunday 7th May 2006

"This is your receipt for your husband... and this is my receipt for your receipt."

In one of the ultimate portrayals of a distopia on film, Terry Gilliam provides a unique dark-twisted-comedic-thriller-fantasy-sci-thing that proves to be both wickedly entertaining and thought-provoking. Gilliam's visual style is at its best here, with both the sets as well as the dream sequences being very nice on the eyes. Jonathan Pryce delivers what is probably his best performance here, though he is backed up by a fine supporting including Ian Holm, Michael Plain, Bob Hoskins and Robert De Niro as a... plumber... of sorts. This may well be Gilliam's finest directorial effort. It's also one of the best science fiction films period.

Rating:
8/10

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 29/8/2006 1:38:07 PM >

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 82
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Brazil Now Reviewed (10/05/06) - 10/5/2006 6:49:40 PM   
Leomuse

Yes, Don McKinney was right. It rules.

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 83
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Brazil Now Reviewed (10/05/06) - 10/5/2006 8:59:01 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Good to see this thread back. I love Brazil. A greatly inventive, often hilarious and quite disturbing film. It's easily Gilliams's best film. 

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 84
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Brazil Now Reviewed (10/05/06) - 10/5/2006 9:23:12 PM   
Leomuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Good to see this thread back. I love Brazil. A greatly inventive, often hilarious and quite disturbing film. It's easily Gilliams's best film. 

Like I said, I still have my exams to deal with (I have Art and French speaking out of the way but the rest last from the 23rd of May until 16th of June) so updates still won't be very frequent.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not a massive fan of Gilliam's directorial work (I consider the Monty Python films to be mostly Jones' films) as you can see from my Fear and Loathing review though I did like Twelve Monkeys. This film has actually made me want to see his other films from the '80s.

Post #: 85
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Brazil Now Reviewed (10/05/06) - 11/5/2006 3:35:06 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Time Bandits and The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen are both worth a watch. Have you seen The Fisher King? I'd say that it is his second best film, after Brazil.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 86
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Brazil Now Reviewed (10/05/06) - 11/5/2006 4:13:57 PM   
Leomuse

I have not seen The Fisher King. I've only seen Brazil, Twelve Monkeys and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Post #: 87
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Rear Window Now Reviewed (13/05/06) - 13/5/2006 5:40:40 PM   
Leomuse

27.)
Rear Window
Alfred Hitchcock
112 minutes
USA
1st viewing
Date viewed: Friday 12th May 2006

"Jeff, you know if someone came in here, they wouldn't believe what they'd see? You and me with long faces plunged into despair because we find out a man didn't kill his wife. We're two of the most frightening ghouls I've ever known."

A simple concept that's flawlessly executed. Hitchcock delivers the finest thriller I've ever seen which proves to be extremely tense even to this day but can also be seen as a nice little satire on television and radio. Jefferies spends his days basically channel-surfing around the windows of different apartments and over time ends up viewing each tenant as a soap opera character of sorts - he knows everything that goes on with them and it becomes glaringly obvious to him when things are becoming abnormal. Or maybe I'm just looking into it a bit much but I think it's a pretty interesting subtext. James Stewart is great in the lead role and Grace Kelly is downright beautiful but also very good in the role of his girlfriend. Thelma Ritter provides fine support as the very funny Stella and Raymond Burr is suitably menacing as the suspicious neighbour, despite the fact that he barely has any lines in the film. The film is beautifully shot, with the weather conveyed very well on film. The moments shot through binoculars and a camera are particularly well done. This is the first Hitchcock film to truly impress me. I think it's a masterpiece of suspense and of film in general.

Rating:
10/10

< Message edited by Leomuse -- 29/8/2006 1:39:01 PM >

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 88
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Rear Window Now Reviewed (13/05/06) - 13/5/2006 5:48:33 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

A great film. It's always Psycho, North By Northwest or Rear Window that tops my list of Hitchock films, and for a few years now its been this. It's almost impossible to fault.

Much more better!

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 89
RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Rear Window Now Reviewed (13/05/06) - 13/5/2006 5:52:02 PM   
Leomuse

Here's how I would rank Hitchcock, for reference sake:

1. Rear Window  [1954]  -  ****
2. Dial M for Murder  [1954]  -  ***
3. The Birds  [1963]  -  **1/2
4. Mr. & Mrs. Smith  [1941]  -  **1/2

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Leomuse’s Tapes - Road to Perdition Now Reviewed (25/03/06) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI