Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Master And Commander

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Master And Commander Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Master And Commander - 16/10/2007 1:01:25 PM   
Castor Troy

I'm currently reading a novel called This Thing Of Darkness which is a fictional account of Darwin's travels aboard the Beagle in the mid 1800's and his relationship with the ships Captain Fitzroy. This put me in the mood for a nautical adventure and so I put on Master And Commander, and I enjoyed it more than I ever have, mainly because of it's similarities with the book I'm reading.

At the centre of the film if the relationship between Captain Aubrey and the ships doctor Maturin which becomes strained when the captains quest for revenge and pride against a French vessel increases. These parts are played really well by Crowe and Bettany, both conveying respect for each others characters even during the disagreements. Another reason why I like the film is the doctors interest in natural history and his pure marvel at the animals found on the Galapagos Islands (the similarities to the great Darwin need not be mentioned). I fear this is the closest we'll come to such a tale being told on film.

But the film is also a great action piece with flawless CGI helping to produce epic ship battles which are so real. You can almost feel a shards of wood fly past your head.

The subplots involving the 'curse' on the ship and the young Blakeney add that something extra to a film with an already excellent story.

I'd love to see a sequel to this, or a few, considering the source material it is lifted from. But I doubt Crowe would ever to commit to a big franchise unfortunately.

Any other fans of one this, one of the best and most intelligent blockbusters of the last few years?

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.
Post #: 1
RE: Master And Commander - 16/10/2007 1:11:50 PM   
Deviation

A truly great film. Excellent choice Castor Troy. An desrving Oscar winner that didn't get any Oscars.

And yes. It is one of the best and most intelligent blockbusters of the last few years. Great film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 2
RE: Master And Commander - 16/10/2007 1:24:50 PM   
Timon

There IS another thread on this film but seeing as I didn't post anything in it, I won't link it. Bwhahaha. And Castor, you posted in the other thread you large muppet! Didn't see it at the cinema? Didn't like it the first time round on DVD?! Fool. FOOL!

Anyway, love it.

Always been a fan of history and the fact that Hollywood actually bothered to make a decent Napoleonatic maritime film anyway is amazing to me. It's not the most accessible era in history and shock, horror didn't feature the Americans. It says something that it's an Austrialian director and lead and a mostly British crew as this is a truely Commonwealth adventure.

Good old England ruling the waves, sticking in to Old Boney. Avast! The book though does have the villain of the piece being an American whaler but seeing as those pesky colonials were financing the film, it was changed to the French and to be honest, it makes more sense. In a time of Anglo-French war, who wants to see the HMS Suprise catching poachers?

The cast is fanatastic with Bettany and Crowe reprising their comradre from A Beautiful Mind but it's the whole tone of the script that endeares the film to me and why it alienated certain audience members. Coming in the wake of Pirates of the Carribean, this film was judged as simply being too dull (by Empire as well!). The film moved slowly (apparantly) and it just wasn't swashbuckling enough but for me, that's what's so great about it. This is how life was in the Navy. Foot shortages, water rations, mutineys - all everyday threats hanging above a commanders head. Sure it may not be as audience friendly as Pirates but it's a damm sight more intelligent and appealing.

The action scenes are realistic and brutal, the CGI flawless - in fact I had no idea there was CGI in the film till I saw the documenaries and that's what good CGI should do, go unnoticed. I'd love to see a sequel but like Superman Returns, it went spectaculary over the masses heads. It didn't deliver what they expected and it suffered financially as a result.

Until FOX wakes up a commissions a sequel though, I recommend everyone gets the Hornblower series with Ioan Gruffud. Fantastic miniseries with great action scenes and plenty of heroics and sticking it to the French. Also has Jamie 'Apollo' Bamber and Robert Lindsey in. Great fun

Master and Commander is another film I desperately want to re-watch but I want to wait till I get my new tv to view it.

< Message edited by Timon -- 16/10/2007 1:26:27 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 3
RE: Master And Commander - 16/10/2007 1:28:46 PM   
Rumbaabaa

This film is a joy to watch. One of the best of the decade so far.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: Master And Commander - 16/10/2007 1:50:39 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

There IS another thread on this film but seeing as I didn't post anything in it, I won't link it. Bwhahaha. And Castor, you posted in the other thread you large muppet! Didn't see it at the cinema? Didn't like it the first time round on DVD?! Fool. FOOL!

Oh yeah! Just had a quick read of the thread. I was a fool, you are correct. But a fool who has seen the error of his ways.

I hear the film has a great Dolby track, which I can imagine. Can't wait til I can hear that.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: Master And Commander - 16/10/2007 1:56:17 PM   
Timon

I strongly recommend Hornblower - 25 quid for the whole series on Amazon. That's 8 x 90min movies for 25. 4.somethingorother per film. All excellent.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 6
RE: Master And Commander - 16/10/2007 2:12:51 PM   
BigKovacs

Great film thats gagging for a sequal. Incidently the bad guys were American in the book.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: Master And Commander - 16/10/2007 3:49:03 PM   
Timon

"England is under threat of invasion, and though we be on the far side of the world, this ship is our home. This ship, is England. So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... 'Surprise' is on our side."

"Huzzah!"

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 8
RE: Master And Commander - 16/10/2007 6:29:57 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I saw this at the cinema and I've watched it a few times. A wonderful film, excellent all round. Plus, it has a superb score. The 9 minute opening track on the CD, entitled The Far Side Of The World, is one of the best pieces of film music from the last decade.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 17/10/2007 7:54:35 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: Master And Commander - 17/10/2007 9:25:06 AM   
JagLover

Great film.

Both intelligent and with some gripping sea battles.

Unlike most hollywood films it really envokes the spirit of the time in which it was set. In fact it is the best 'historical' film of recent times.

Only the ADD generation could describe this film as dull.

Post #: 10
RE: Master And Commander - 17/10/2007 2:25:02 PM   
BigKovacs

I really like the humour in it too, the characters (and actors who play them) obviously know thay are crap jokes and deliver them is such a casual way its liek they are sharing the joke directly with the audience. I dont know if it was intentional but I found it engaging.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 11
RE: Master And Commander - 24/10/2007 9:37:46 AM   
colinmcbride

Have to agree - a great film. I also think it's one of Crowe's best performances - is it just me or does he seem to be channelling Richard Burton a little in this role? Another great film in Peter Weir's really rather impressive back catalogue. Would love to see a sequel. 

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 12
RE: Master And Commander - 24/10/2007 2:02:01 PM   
goldleader

Great film.  Went to see it at the cinema without knowing a great deal about just that Crowe is always good for the money.  Took the parents with me as they were visiting at the time and they didnt look happy at going to see a sea/pirate/history type of film but they both loved it.  I think this is why it didnt do so well people have a certain idea about a film and dont give it a chance and some great films get left out in the cold.  Its a shame because this is such a great film.

(in reply to colinmcbride)
Post #: 13
RE: Master And Commander - 27/10/2007 11:15:52 PM   
BobaJango

Very, very underated film. I love the staggering scene at the end with the showdown between the British and French ships.
I'd venture to call this picture a minor epic.

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to goldleader)
Post #: 14
RE: Master And Commander - 29/10/2007 3:07:30 PM   
James2183

The film has awesome set pieces and some really great performances but the one thing that exceeds all of this is just the sounds of the film. Whether it is the firing of the cannons or just the ship creaking throughout the entire film it adds an extra layer or quality and reaslism that other films lack.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 15
RE: Master And Commander - 29/10/2007 10:30:56 PM   
BobaJango

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

The film has awesome set pieces and some really great performances but the one thing that exceeds all of this is just the sounds of the film. Whether it is the firing of the cannons or just the ship creaking throughout the entire film it adds an extra layer or quality and reaslism that other films lack.

Very true. Definately worth at least more than one viewing.

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 16
RE: Master And Commander - 2/11/2007 7:18:56 PM   
bozo

Brilliant moviemaking. Realistic and atmospheric, genuinely interesting characters and two amazing action scenes. Perfect 10/10

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 17
RE: Master And Commander: Far Side Of The World - 6/3/2008 11:50:13 AM   
Timon

I'm currently reading this - Mr Midshipman Fury - which is the first in a series. I think it's try to be Hornblower for the 21st century. Not bad so far, but who's called John Fury?!

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 18
RE: Master And Commander - 10/3/2008 9:53:04 PM   
Comrade Zutroy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

There IS another thread on this film but seeing as I didn't post anything in it, I won't link it. Bwhahaha.

I think that was my thread.  Bloody ages ago, it was.  But yeah, absolutley loved this film.  Caught it at the cinema not really knowing what to expect but adored it.  To my shame, I still haven't watched the extras and for a film I love so much, that's pretty shitty.  It's on my to do list.

If there were no rewards to reap,
no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.

I'm gonna wait it out

"It's a day spa, you fuck!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 19
RE: Master And Commander - 11/3/2008 1:51:39 PM   
Vitamin F

Love this film, a great modern epic.

And another vote from me for a sequel, one of the very few films that is crying out for a next episode.
Not to detract from Peter Weir one bit, but how great would a further collaberation be between Crowe and Ridley Scott at the helm of a sequel?

(in reply to Comrade Zutroy)
Post #: 20
RE: Master And Commander - 11/3/2008 3:41:05 PM   
Rumbaabaa

Agreed, I've always thought that a sequel would be a great opportunity for Ridley to work with Crowe again. Especially since Weir doesn't seem too keen on the idea of a follow-up.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 21
RE: Master And Commander - 11/3/2008 5:11:48 PM   
Adie wan Kenobi

love this film with all my heart, i adore it.

i want a damn sequel!!!

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 22
RE: Master And Commander - 12/3/2008 3:03:36 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Top top quality historical sea faring adventure with marvellous central performances, great characters and action. The 'lesser of two weevils' joke was brilliantly acted by Russell Crowe and was a really funny comedy moment thrown in as well

(in reply to Adie wan Kenobi)
Post #: 23
RE: Master And Commander - 14/3/2008 10:22:52 AM   
King_Bard

Great film...To my suprise i really enjoyed it....

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 24
RE: Master And Commander - 8/12/2008 1:02:03 PM   
Timon

I was reading that Ioan Gruffud is pursuing the rights to make a Hornblower film seeing as ITV have deemed the series too expensive to make anymore. In light of the fact that another Master And Commander adventure is getting less and less likely, perhaps this would be a good substitute?

Oh and the DVD DTS track is superb. It was the film I baptised my surround sound system with and everything from the creaking of the hammocks to the epic cannon fire was ear shattering!

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 25
RE: Master And Commander - 8/12/2008 1:15:55 PM   
Rumbaabaa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I was reading that Ioan Gruffud is pursuing the rights to make a Hornblower film seeing as ITV have deemed the series too expensive to make anymore. In light of the fact that another Master And Commander adventure is getting less and less likely, perhaps this would be a good substitute?

Oh and the DVD DTS track is superb. It was the film I baptised my surround sound system with and everything from the creaking of the hammocks to the epic cannon fire was ear shattering!

No! I want Crowe and Bettany as Aubrey and Maturin!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 26
RE: Master And Commander - 8/12/2008 2:28:10 PM   
Timon

I'm sure Hornblower and Bush could give them a run for their money.

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 27
RE: Master And Commander - 8/12/2008 2:58:54 PM   
Rumbaabaa

Bring it on!

< Message edited by Rumbaabaa -- 10/2/2009 2:42:08 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: Master And Commander - 10/2/2009 2:07:23 PM   
Timon

Has Weir ever stated why he wouldn't want to do a sequel? Apart from the obvious budget problems? I imagine this series would be right up Ridley Scott's route if he doesn't. I'm still waiting for Scott's Tripoli though...

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 29
RE: Master And Commander - 10/2/2009 2:33:04 PM   
Rgirvan44

I doubt Weir would do the film without the same cast, and as Fox has the rights it is unlikely they will invest money into the picture.

Got a feeling they thought the film would be "Gladiator on water" and the result was somewhat different

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Master And Commander Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI