Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Bob Dylan

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bob Dylan Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bob Dylan - 21/10/2008 10:16:18 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Jakob Dylan's playing on Later... With Jools Holland Live right now. I've never heard him sing before now, and to me he sounds oddly like Bruce Springsteen.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 21/10/2008 10:17:30 PM >

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 211
RE: Bob Dylan - 15/11/2008 7:49:31 PM   
Biggus

Already got Highway 61 Revisited and the 3 disc Dylan compilation and love it all. This year's Christmas list contains:
  • Bringing It All Back Home
  • Blood On The Tracks
  • Time Out Of Mind
  • Love & Theft
  • Modern Times

Looking forward to delving deeper.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 212
RE: Bob Dylan - 15/11/2008 7:52:24 PM   
Rhubarb

You are going to have a wonderful Christmas Biggus.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 213
Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 10:15:12 AM   
rick_7

Dates announced for Sheffield, London, Cardiff, Birmingham, Liverpool, Glasgow and Dublin, in April and May next year. Get 'em while they're hot.

Just got a pair for the seventh row in Sheffield, despite the usual card problems on Ticketmaster.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 214
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 10:16:03 AM   
rick_7

Dublin tickets are apparently not on sale at the mo, btw.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 215
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 10:57:23 AM   
moontheloon

I think I love you Rick. I just bought me and a Friend two tickets to go see him in Birmingham. Block A.. Row V. Pretty damn decent tickets! And less than 50 each even after the ridiculous booking fees and postage fees. I am now very very very excited... poor... but excited. Now It's Just Bowie left to tour and I am done!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 216
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 11:00:56 AM   
rick_7

I was chatting with my Auntie about concerts the other day. I told her I've seen Tom Waits, Dylan, Nick Cave, Suede and Richard Thompson, so the only thing left to do is see them again!  That's until they reanimate Sandy Denny and Kathleen Ferrier, anyway... I'm sharing your money woes, Moon, but it'll be worth it come April.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 217
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 11:04:53 AM   
rick_7

Nice seats, btw.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 218
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 3:37:35 PM   
moontheloon

Ha, yeah, not as good as yours mind, but damn good considering that they had been on sale for a couple of hours before I bought them. I can only assume it's down to lack of advertising and the fact that he is on a neverending tour.

I am so very excited now, I could only get through to one of my friends about the tickets, but in all fairness I think she is the only one who is actually a big enough fan to fork over 50 to go. It's always a pleasure giving someone good news over the phone

What was his set like when you saw him last time Rick? I've heard that he's stopped playing guitar now which is a shame, but that his band is good... have I heard right? What sort of set does he play, mix of old and new? mainly new? Either way I am sure it will be great... as long as he doesn't just play saved and shot of love I am sure I will enjoy it a lot

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 219
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 4:05:38 PM   
rick_7

He was playing guitar the last time I saw him, but that was a year-and-a-half ago now.

Set-lists are generally a joy - 15 to 20 songs, a great mix of old and new, including My Back Pages and Nettie Moore last time out, which were the highlights for me. (The only - very minor - negative is that he can play a few too many soundalike blues jams). I'm not sure about his band, it's not something that really seems to register with me, unless they're rubbish.

There are a few tracks he always seems to play - Maggie's Farm as an opener, Like a Rolling Stone and All Along the Watchtower as an encore, and Masters of War, Memphis Blues and Summer Days sandwiched somewhere in between. The rest are surprises.

The first time I saw him (May 2002 in Manchester), he played Blind Willie McTell, Senor, One Too Many Mornings and Visions of Johanna.

Second time (November 2005 in Manchester),  A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall, Man in the Long Black Coat and Girl of the North Country.

Last time (April 2007 in Sheffield), Watching the River Flow, My Back Pages and It's Alright Ma.

The Sheffield gig was easily the best. He barely glances at/speaks to the audience, but it was an energetic, attractive set and he seemed "into it", as I believe people say.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 220
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 4:08:43 PM   
rick_7

Actually, he played Most Likely You Go Your Way as an opener in Sheffield, and a quick look at recent set-lists suggest he may be resting Maggie's Farm - so it's all to play for there.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 221
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 4:09:00 PM   
rick_7

I can't wait.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 222
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 4:50:51 PM   
Rhubarb

Oh my goodness. I'm currently trying to get hold of everyone just to get someone to go with. Blimey.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 223
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 5:05:38 PM   
Olaf

I know what I'm getting for Christmas, anyway.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 224
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 5:07:30 PM   
Rhubarb

50 does make me feel violated and abused really.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 225
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 5:09:31 PM   
Olaf

Christ, really? What does that work as in euros? 

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 226
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 5:19:15 PM   
Rhubarb

About 1,000?

It is fighting all my lefty principles.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 227
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 5:30:09 PM   
Olaf

60. Not as bad as I thought then, but it's still quite bit of cash... 

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 228
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 5:45:00 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

About 1,000?

In my mind it works out as a bargain, as it works out as less money than I paid for his last album... I'm justifying spending 50 on it comparing it to other ticket prices... Radiohead tickets were around 40/45, Stevie Wonder was 65 plus booking fee, Tom Waits was about 100ish... so in all this works out as good value for money in my eyes. Even if it does make me very grateful for my overdraft.

Roll on January Student loan

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 229
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 5:45:58 PM   
Olaf

100? Concert tickets are getting incredibly expensive.

Post #: 230
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 5:51:29 PM   
moontheloon

That was Tom Waits though.. which I again justified with Madonna charging 150 for the standing tickets to one of her shows... (this is not one I went to mind you.. just one I heard about) And I thought to myself... Tom Waits is so much better than madonna... it's worth it. Plus it was kinda once in a lifetime perhaps kinda thing.. As this could be. Bob is getting on a bit, I wanna try and see him as many times as possible before he stops touring for good.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 231
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 5:55:25 PM   
Olaf

I just found out that tickets are 70...fucking inflation... But yeah, I really want to see him once before he stops touring, which will be sooner rather than later I fear (he's going to turn 68 during the European tour).

Post #: 232
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 6:02:33 PM   
moontheloon

It's also worth remembering that the 50 I am talking about is after the horrendously high booking fees that the NIA charge, plus the postage, which is again quite high. Tickets were either 37 or 42 depending on where you sat... which is a pretty decent price. Some bands with a couple of albums out there charge that much for their arena gigs... At least with Dylan you are getting... well.. Dylan.

Oh man I'm excited. Seriously, if the rumours are true (they are not, they are possibly rumours I dreamt... but you never know) And Bowie is thinking of touring, or playing a festival in 2009... 2009 will be the best year yet

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 233
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 6:04:07 PM   
M

Got myself a couple tickets for the Glasgow show; relatively close as well - back of the front block, if that makes sense...

Not seen him before so I'm greatly looking forward to it.  Plus it gives me an excuse to fill in the gaps of any missing albums!

I like to watch.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 234
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 7:07:59 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

quote:

About 1,000?

In my mind it works out as a bargain, as it works out as less money than I paid for his last album... I'm justifying spending 50 on it comparing it to other ticket prices... Radiohead tickets were around 40/45, Stevie Wonder was 65 plus booking fee, Tom Waits was about 100ish... so in all this works out as good value for money in my eyes. Even if it does make me very grateful for my overdraft.

All of those are a rip off though, they should never be charging gig tickets at that kinda cost, especially someone who doesn't really need the cash!

Still despite long swearing I would never pay more than 20 quid for a gig ticket, I have now spent 50 near enough, to see him at the 02. I couldn't really miss a chance to see him. So I will be in Row H of block 108 which See Tickets promised me is the best avaliable at that price. Very much looking forward to it. I don't really care about the money, despite my principles

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 235
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 8:01:41 PM   
Rhubarb

I told my dad and he burst into talking about seeing him at Isle of Wight again

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 236
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 5/12/2008 9:29:50 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

quote:

About 1,000?

All of those are a rip off though, they should never be charging gig tickets at that kinda cost, especially someone who doesn't really need the cash!

Still despite long swearing I would never pay more than 20 quid for a gig ticket, I have now spent 50 near enough, to see him at the 02. I couldn't really miss a chance to see him. So I will be in Row H of block 108 which See Tickets promised me is the best avaliable at that price. Very much looking forward to it. I don't really care about the money, despite my principles

Hah, I do agree with you that gig tickets are too expensive... but that was just my thought process that helped me justify spending the money

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 237
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 7/12/2008 7:42:39 PM   
Boring Prophet

Anyone complaining about paying 50 to see Dylan doesn't deserve a ticket. You're not going to a gig, you're going to see a fucking master play some of the best songs ever written. I'll be up early tomorrow morning to try and get a couple of Dublin tickets for myself and my dad.

Post #: 238
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 7/12/2008 9:53:20 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boring Prophet

Anyone complaining about paying 50 to see Dylan doesn't deserve a ticket. You're not going to a gig, you're going to see a fucking master play some of the best songs ever written. I'll be up early tomorrow morning to try and get a couple of Dublin tickets for myself and my dad.

Calm down, I bought the bloody ticket. I love Dylan and agree he is an absolute master. But the suggestion that I should feel privileged to shell out 50 is a bit much, frankly.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Boring Prophet)
Post #: 239
RE: Bob Dylan - tickets on sale - 7/12/2008 10:41:18 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boring Prophet

Actually you're paying to see an old geezer who has sounded like a gecko for well over a decade now butchering some of the best songs ever written.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Boring Prophet)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bob Dylan Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI