Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Bob Dylan

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bob Dylan Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bob Dylan - 11/3/2008 3:54:37 PM   
Venkman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

The compilation is made out of songs from the show, but unfortunately doesn't feature any of the commentary from Dylan that went along with the songs.

Obviously there will be some good songs on this but Bob Dylan's commentary is the thing that makes the show, without this commentary it becomes a bit pointless, I don't think i'll be getting this

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 91
RE: Bob Dylan - 12/3/2008 12:52:00 PM   
Larry of Arabia

It would have been good for those who didn't catch the show to hear exactly why he picked them, but this has got to be alot better than those crap 'The Roots Of Bob Dylan' compilations that make up their track-listing based on what he's said in interviews and the like. These songs were hand-picked by Dylan, so I think it'll be interesting to hear what he actually likes instead of what people heard he likes.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 92
RE: Bob Dylan - 11/5/2008 3:00:45 PM   
Olaf

Bob Dylan artowrk to go on display in London:

http://www.nme.com/news/bob-dylan/36506

As I am going to be on holiday in London during the exhibition... Good times.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 93
RE: Bob Dylan - 11/5/2008 3:47:18 PM   
moontheloon

any idea how long the exhibition is going to be on for as I will be in London for a little while a little later in June. Or I could go on the 14th I guess.... It is tempting, as I will have a free day then. 

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 94
RE: Bob Dylan - 11/5/2008 3:58:26 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Everywhere I looked just says 'Opening 14 June'. I would  have liked to have seen those up close, but too far away for me.

Dylan also recived a Pulitzer Prize citation recently as well: click

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 95
RE: Bob Dylan - 11/5/2008 3:58:51 PM   
Olaf

Hopefully for at least a month, as I'm in London in early July. The gallery's website says that there'll be more information soon.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 96
RE: Bob Dylan - 11/5/2008 10:54:16 PM   
G.O.B

Bought No Direction Home today so i'll watch it after i'm done with my bloody exams   

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 97
RE: Bob Dylan - 11/5/2008 11:14:55 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I hope that's not the first time you'll be watching that. If it is, then shame on you sir!

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 98
RE: Bob Dylan - 11/5/2008 11:28:04 PM   
G.O.B

I'm afraid it is Larry, i wasn't a fan of Dylan when it was first released so i finally decided to get it,also didn't realize it's nearly 3 and a half hours long!

Member of COBW

Post #: 99
RE: Bob Dylan - 11/5/2008 11:36:26 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Well, you're in for a treat in any case. The running time is actually quite manageable as well, being spread on the two discs. There's also a few gems on the soundtrack if you don't have it, which is part of the Bootleg series along with Live '66, Live '75 etc. Some interesting live tracks and out-takes.

Enjoy it when you see it.

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 100
RE: Bob Dylan - 12/5/2008 5:40:41 PM   
Olaf

The CD soundtrack is great - his version of "Man Of Constant Sorrow" is worth the price alone.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 12/5/2008 5:43:00 PM >

Post #: 101
RE: Bob Dylan - 12/5/2008 5:46:56 PM   
Rhubarb

I actually think No Direction Home might be Marty's best movie.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 102
RE: Bob Dylan - 22/5/2008 11:01:51 PM   
G.O.B

This might have been discussed before but what's everyone's favourite Dylan album? Mine has to be Blood on the tracks, it gave us tangled up in blue and simple twist of fate,two of my favourite Dylan songs.I have heard the No Direction Home soundtrack and it is indeed excellent so i'm looking forward to watching Marty's film.

Member of COBW

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 103
RE: Bob Dylan - 22/5/2008 11:21:00 PM   
Rhubarb

Mine was always Bringing It All Back Home, for years. Recently though its been all about Blonde on Blonde, which I think is absolutely staggeringly good. Blood on the Tracks, Highway 61 and Desire are all in with a shout as well. I also really love The Freewheelin' which was the first Dylan album I truely loved, and Love and Theft out of his new ones.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 104
RE: Bob Dylan - 23/5/2008 1:03:48 AM   
Larry of Arabia

Crikey, it's like choosing favourite children, there's good stuff on so many. Blood On The Tracks was the first of his albums I ever bought, and so it's kind of evocative of a certain time. It helps that it's amazing, and Simple Twist Of Fate and Shelter From The Storm are contenders for my favourite song. The Bootleg version of some songs from the album I can't recommend highly enough, and those are the ones he left off the finished album. I'd agree about "Love & Theft" as well, and it's probably the one I listen to most, and have done consistently since I bought it. There's something about his voice I like on the later albums, all croakey like he's smoked a million cigarettes (which he probably has). I've said it before as well - the lyrics have a humour about them, and are less surreal than his early stuff, more clever. It also has that mix of styles as well, blues, bluegrass, big band, waltz.

I don't half ramble on this thread.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 105
RE: Bob Dylan - 24/5/2008 12:51:23 PM   
Olaf

For me, it's between Blood On The Tracks and Time Out Of Mind. And Highway 61 Revisited. And "Love And Theft". And John Wesley Harding. And Desire...One of those six...

Post #: 106
RE: Bob Dylan - 24/5/2008 6:28:16 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I still have to get New Morning, I've only heard 'If Not For You' and 'The Man In Me' (from The Big Lebowski), which is quite bad for me. I wish they'd hurry up and remaster it, they did a whole bunch of remastered albums in 2003 but left that album out for some reason.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 24/5/2008 7:54:06 PM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 107
RE: Bob Dylan - 24/5/2008 9:49:18 PM   
Olaf

I bought it a while back (just for The Man In Me, if I'm being honest), I'd highly recommend it. Some of his best work is on it - "Sign On The Window" is outstanding 

Post #: 108
RE: Bob Dylan - 25/5/2008 11:35:49 AM   
Larry of Arabia

Will do. I just wish they'd hurry up with the remaster if they're doing it. The first Dylan albums I bought in '01, Blood On The Tracks and Blonde On Blonde, were old versions first released on CD in 1986, still doing the rounds somehow. One of those releases that tells you how a CD works in the liner notes and everything. When I bought the remasters I didn't know what I was missing.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 109
RE: Bob Dylan - 26/5/2008 6:09:35 PM   
Olaf

My copy of BotT isn't quite that old but it's not the remastered version - is the SACD box set still available? I bought the Blonde On Blonde remaster and it blew me away.

Post #: 110
RE: Bob Dylan - 26/5/2008 11:29:45 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I'd imagine you could have a look on Amazon from the marketplace for the boxset, don't imagine it would be cheap though. I'd really recommend getting a remastered version of Blood On The Tracks. I don't know how yours sounds, but my old version was quite sparse next to the remaster, the newest version was alot warmer sounding. To be honest, all the Dylan albums I had that weren't up-to-date sounded alot better when I re-bought them.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 111
RE: Bob Dylan - 28/5/2008 10:30:01 PM   
Olaf

I have a question for any Bob fans here - my local record shop has Saved and Shot Of Love, together for 15. I don't know if it's worth it, considering what I've heard about these two albums, but they're so damn cheap! Could anybody give me their opinions on these two or if they're worth the cash?

Post #: 112
RE: Bob Dylan - 28/5/2008 10:53:54 PM   
Rhubarb

Saved is kind of rubbish if you take as a Bob Dylan album, but if you take it as a collection of live outakes and demos and things - basically as a bootleg - then its ok. I'm the kind of person who would have to own something like that though, I own The Doors 'Other Voices'....

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 113
RE: Bob Dylan - 28/5/2008 11:44:35 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I reckon you'd have to scrutinize your Dylan collection as it is to check which other albums you don't have. There are quite a few other Dylan albums more deserving of your attention.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 114
RE: Bob Dylan - 1/6/2008 12:51:02 AM   
Larry of Arabia

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but I was just having a browse through a Dylan book (a very good one actually, this is what it looks like) and came across a song no one really talks about in magazines or even as fans to my knowledge - When I Paint My Masterpiece. It was written in the late-'60s/early'70s and was only ever released on Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol. II (The Band covered it on their Cahoots album as well). Has anyone heard it? It was on the book's Top 100 Dylan Songs list so I'd imagine it's pretty good.

Post #: 115
RE: Bob Dylan - 1/6/2008 1:56:20 AM   
Olaf

You can get it from the iTunes store - it's a great tune, wouldn't be too far out of place on New Morning or the Pat Garrett soundtrack.

Post #: 116
RE: Bob Dylan - 3/6/2008 10:30:32 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Just downloaded When I Paint My Masterpiece along with I'm Not There (1956) which I'll give a listen to now. Another obscure song I'd like to hear as well is Hero Blues (an outtake from the Freewheelin' sessions), which I hear has some amazing guitar playing on it. Not sure where to get it though.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 117
RE: Bob Dylan - 4/6/2008 4:00:15 PM   
G.O.B

I've always wanted to delve into the 80s stuff but to be honest,the reputation has put me off.Just as a matter of interest,what is everyone's favourite stage of Dylan's career? what i mean by this is,do you like his proteseting stage,when he went electric,the christian years (thought i might as well put that out there anyway ), the graceful acceptance of ageing from Time Out of Mind or his most recent venture.

< Message edited by G.O.B -- 4/6/2008 4:02:09 PM >

Member of COBW

Post #: 118
RE: Bob Dylan - 4/6/2008 4:17:22 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but I was just having a browse through a Dylan book (a very good one actually, this is what it looks like) and came across a song no one really talks about in magazines or even as fans to my knowledge - When I Paint My Masterpiece. It was written in the late-'60s/early'70s and was only ever released on Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol. II (The Band covered it on their Cahoots album as well). Has anyone heard it? It was on the book's Top 100 Dylan Songs list so I'd imagine it's pretty good.

Yes, I've heard it, as my Dad used to play the record a lot when I was growing up. It's really good, especially the closing couplet - "Someday everything is gonna be different/When I paint my masterpiece", which is so simply sad without being naive or idiotic (please see Forever Young). A Top 100 songs list is such a subjective thing (I really like Restless Farewell, a rip-off of The Parting Glass though it is, which never makes such countdowns), but great fun to read, of course.

My favourite Dylan phase is that "wild mercury" period - '65 and '66 - though I like the protest stuff and the transitional records that came between too. And Time Out of Mind is probably my favourite of his records (Live '66 excepting) - that's a stage all by itself! His Christian records are alright. They're heavyhanded in spots, and dud-heavy, but Every Grain of Sand (particularly the version that ended up on Bootleg 3) is as good as anything he ever wrote, and I like Gotta Serve Somebody too. That's Sinead O'Connor's favourite song, incidentally.

I was wondering if many of you have seen Dylan live - when and where, favourite memories, stand-out songs, etc...?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 119
RE: Bob Dylan - 4/6/2008 4:27:13 PM   
Olaf

I can't say I have - but there's still a few unfilled gaps in his summer schedule this year...here's hoping! 

Did anybody else hear that Bob is in the middle of writing Chronicles Vol. 2? I hope this is true, Vol. 1 was brilliant.

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bob Dylan Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI