Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Bob Dylan

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bob Dylan Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bob Dylan - 1/11/2007 11:59:36 PM   
Venkman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

On a brighter note, my Other Side Of The Mirror DVD arrived yesteray and it's cracking.

is that the one with the performances from Newport, on BBC 4  a few weeks ago?, I recorded the whole night of programmes on a dvd but haven't got round to watching it yet

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 61
RE: Bob Dylan - 2/11/2007 9:01:19 AM   
Larry of Arabia

'Tis indeed - all of his performances, at least all that I know of, from Newport from '63 to '65.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 62
RE: Bob Dylan - 2/11/2007 4:29:09 PM   
chauncey

Highway 61 Revisited and Desire would both be good places to start, as would Biograph. The new compilation is shameless "product" and it's a pity Dylan condones such practices. Yes 'n How many more greatest hits collections does the world need? The answer is....

top100 by Chauncey
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1476939&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 63
RE: Bob Dylan - 4/11/2007 9:51:33 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: chauncey

Highway 61 Revisited and Desire would both be good places to start, as would Biograph. The new compilation is shameless "product" and it's a pity Dylan condones such practices. Yes 'n How many more greatest hits collections does the world need? The answer is....

If you're worried about "product", then I wouldn't look at Dylan's ads for Victoria's Secret lingerie or Cadillac cars on Youtube.

(in reply to chauncey)
Post #: 64
RE: Bob Dylan - 5/11/2007 10:23:50 AM   
chauncey

I totally agree.
It's not as if I approve of Dylan renting himself out as advertising space. (Did you think otherwise?) In fact, my whole point was highlighting this depressing tendency of 94-now.

top100 by Chauncey

Post #: 65
RE: Bob Dylan - 5/11/2007 4:59:01 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Well, some people have accomplished alot less than him and are only in the game to flog their new music as product, never mind undies or cars, so it doesn't bother me too much.

(in reply to chauncey)
Post #: 66
RE: Bob Dylan - 6/11/2007 6:38:02 PM   
chauncey

Still, I personally preferred it when Dylan wasn't Krusty the clown - endorsing any old shite with his presence.

The Biograph liner notes indicate a Dylan who wouldn't have turned into a corporate whore - see his bodysnatchers comment.

top100 by Chauncey

Post #: 67
RE: Bob Dylan - 7/11/2007 12:36:47 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Whoa! Big text there.

Yeah, he seems to be extremely contradtory there:

"Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, they all struck fear into the heart. Now they got a purpose sort of, to sell soup, blue jeans, anything... it's all been neutralised, nothing threatening, nothing magical, nothing challenging. For me I hate to see it because it set me free, set the whole world on fire, there's a whole lot of us who can still remember. What I'm telling is no lie, but then again who wants to hear it? You just get yourself worked up over nothing."

I can understand, maybe, because he's referring to the music that got him inspired, but doesn't he realise people feel the same way about his music? That his music is seen as magical and challenging and, in the '60's at least, threatening? I agree, I don't think he should be so dismissive of it.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 7/11/2007 12:37:06 PM >

(in reply to chauncey)
Post #: 68
RE: Bob Dylan - 18/11/2007 4:45:26 PM   
G.O.B

Hey,just wondering if anybody knows whether there is a CD of the basement tapes available?

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

Post #: 69
RE: Bob Dylan - 18/11/2007 4:51:39 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Yes, there is, but in my opinion it could do with a remastering. Still good, though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basement-Tapes-Bob-Dylan/dp/B000025L21/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1195404669&sr=1-36

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 70
RE: Bob Dylan - 6/1/2008 3:34:00 PM   
Venkman

Anyone seen 'I'm Not there'?, I have to admit that I wasn't a fan. The director has said that there is lots of different versions of Bob Dylan in the film because he is too complex to have just one actor playing him, but the multiple storylines seemed like a gimmick served only to make Dylan more alien to us, there is hardly anything in the film that favourably represents Dylan's genius just the extremely welcome regular interludes of Dylan's songs. The soundtrack is the only reccomendable aspect of the film, there are lots of songs sung by Dylan and some good cover performances as well, the film is worth seeing for the sheer number of great Bob Dylan songs but I would of much preferred a Walk the Line type film that uses the music to make you care about the characters

Post #: 71
RE: Bob Dylan - 6/1/2008 5:49:08 PM   
Manchurian candidate

Bob Dylan's work with the Traveling Wilburys was genius. 'Tweeter and the Monkey-man'? Music doesn't get any better than that.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 72
RE: Bob Dylan - 8/1/2008 6:02:53 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Still trying to catch all those Springsteen references in Tweeter And The Monkey Man.

I went to see I'm Not There today, but the bloody sound was messed up! Every time Dylan's harmonica came up (that's alot), it sounded like a wasp had infiltrated the cinema. It affected everything, including the actors voices, who sounded like they were under water for the entire second half. What a farce. It's quite a hard film to get into, I think it will need a rewatch, but that bloody sound totally ruined the atmosphere, I couldn't even concentrate.

Needed to get that off my chest.

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 73
RE: Bob Dylan - 15/2/2008 3:20:56 PM   
chauncey

I'm Not There - disappointed with the movie. It's ambitious, and features a great soundtrack, yet the thing comes across as a high budget student movie. Shallow mimicry, rather than any great performances, & Christian Bale was godawful. Wonder if Dylan's seen it?

top100 by Chauncey

Post #: 74
RE: Bob Dylan - 16/2/2008 10:45:43 PM   
Olaf

I bought the three-disc Dylan set last November, I went home and immediately played the discs in order, non-stop, until roughly 3am. Not just the '60s stuff that everybody knows, but songs like Brownsville Girl, Under The Red Sky, Hurricane, Tangled Up In Blue... all these amazing songs that I'd never heard anything like. Much better than that My Chemical Romance garbage being forced on us these days!
Needless to say, I was pretty obsessed at this point, and bought Highway 61 Revisited, Time Out Of Mind, Blood On The Tracks, etc., each album just furthering an obsession with a legendary songwriter.

The Wilburys boxset and the I'm Not There soundtrack are high on my to-buy lists, but none of my local cinemas were showing the film. Curses!  

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to chauncey)
Post #: 75
RE: Bob Dylan - 25/2/2008 11:27:00 AM   
Bulletproof_Monk

Just bought Travelling Wilbury's. Genius (although I preferred the first disc, really missed Roy Orbison on the second disc.)

CHAOS REIGNS!

Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 76
RE: Bob Dylan - 28/2/2008 11:15:27 PM   
Larry of Arabia

There's a series of free podcasts on Dylan's life and music hosted by Patti Smith available on iTunes that I'm listening to right now. It's got interviews with various people as well as archive interviews with Bob, and it's pretty good. It's up to episode 19 now, each one varies from about 5 to 10 minutes long.

(in reply to Bulletproof_Monk)
Post #: 77
RE: Bob Dylan - 28/2/2008 11:29:26 PM   
Olaf

Sounds like it could be worth checking out, Larry. I think I'll do that right now...

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Post #: 78
RE: Bob Dylan - 29/2/2008 8:31:24 AM   
hozay

quote:

Damn it! You can't download Brownsville Girl as a standalone track... bugger. I'm enjoying Blood In My Eyes from the early '90's, though, nice little acoustic ditty. Anybody else have a favourite obscure Dylan track?

This is my favourite slightly obscure Dylan song.
If I could write a song this beautiful I could die happy and fulfilled.
The only original version I could find is this one (original recording) but they've added a Nick Drake cover of it after the Dylan one.If you're a Drake fan like me it's probably best if you don't listen to his cover,it's not too good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OeNc-ZirFI

Post #: 79
RE: Bob Dylan - 29/2/2008 1:03:26 PM   
Larry of Arabia

He uses the same guitar part for Girl From The North Country and Boots Of Spanish Leather as well, but they become completely different songs when he adds the words. Another obscure one I've been listening to alot is I'll Keep It With Mine, but I've yet to hear I'm Not There (1956).

That version Drake did appears on his Family Tree album, there's quite a few of those 'English teenager singing the blues' moments. I think I'll stick with the studio stuff as well.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 29/2/2008 1:37:18 PM >

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 80
RE: Bob Dylan - 1/3/2008 4:11:55 PM   
Olaf

quote:

Damn it! You can't download Brownsville Girl as a standalone track... bugger. I'm enjoying Blood In My Eyes from the early '90's, though, nice little acoustic ditty. Anybody else have a favourite obscure Dylan track?

Blind Willie McTell and Buckets Of Rain are two of my favourite slightly obscure tracks. Do they count as slightly obscure?

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 81
RE: Bob Dylan - 1/3/2008 5:01:40 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Buckets Of Rain, I would say no, because everyone who has Blood On The Tracks has heard it. That's alot of people! Blind Willie McTell you could call obscure, but it's so well known amongst Dylan fans as being their favourite obscure track that I'm not sure you could call it that these days.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 82
RE: Bob Dylan - 2/3/2008 1:39:05 AM   
Venkman

Blind Willie McTell was on the 'Essential Bob Dylan' so I guess a lot of people will have heard it which is good because it's one of his best. My favourite 'obscure' Dylan song is probably 'Covenant Woman' from the album 'Saved' 

Post #: 83
RE: Bob Dylan - 2/3/2008 10:38:24 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I don't know how many compilations it's been on now, but Series Of Dreams is a great track that was left off Oh Mercy for some weird reason. It first popped up on The Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3 I think. And I was listening to the No Direction Home soundtrack yesterday and was reminded of Dink's Song, which is one of his best traditional covers. Lay Down Your Weary Tune just came to mind as well.

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 84
RE: Bob Dylan - 4/3/2008 10:10:02 AM   
Bulletproof_Monk

Favourite obscurities? I've always loved the comic duo of Talking Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues and Talking John Birch Paranoid Blues, neither of which appeared on any studio albums but are available on The Bootleg Series.

CHAOS REIGNS!

Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead.

Post #: 85
RE: Bob Dylan - 6/3/2008 11:24:01 PM   
Olaf

quote:

Buckets Of Rain, I would say no, because everyone who has Blood On The Tracks has heard it. That's alot of people! Blind Willie McTell you could call obscure, but it's so well known amongst Dylan fans as being their favourite obscure track that I'm not sure you could call it that these days.

Hmm, fair enough - maybe my mates just don't know Dylan very well!

By the way, can anyone tell me who is the "Italian poet / from the thirteenth century" that Bob refers to on Tangled Up In Blue? Or if it's just a line that sounded good?

Post #: 86
RE: Bob Dylan - 6/3/2008 11:58:27 PM   
Larry of Arabia

The poet from the thirteenth century is Dante Alighieri, who wrote the epic poem The Divine Comedy. The most famous part of the poem was called Inferno.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 87
RE: Bob Dylan - 7/3/2008 12:12:10 AM   
Olaf

Cheers, mate, thanks for clearing that one up

Post #: 88
RE: Bob Dylan - 9/3/2008 12:20:05 PM   
Larry of Arabia

There's a new compilation out this month based on Dylan's radio show, Theme Time Radio Hour With Bob Dylan, which took a theme each week and played songs about the theme. I really wish I'd caught more of this, it's quite unusual to hear Dylan speak about anything at length. The compilation is made out of songs from the show, but unfortunately doesn't feature any of the commentary from Dylan that went along with the songs.

This is actually the second compilation to be made from his show. I wasn't sure why there was two at first, but I think the first (on the Chrome Dreams label) was made solely from songs in the public domain (no royalties had to be paid). This second one (on the Ace Records label) doesn't take that approach, and so features more recent material, from Aretha Franklin and The Clash to The White Stripes, whose 'Seven Nation Army' features.

This is the earlier compilation. I hear it's good too, so either one would make a good listen, really.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 9/3/2008 12:21:09 PM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 89
RE: Bob Dylan - 9/3/2008 3:19:08 PM   
Olaf

Might be worth buying, I remember Uncut magazine giving away a compilation CD from the radio show couple of months back. By the way, did anyone see the story about Bob in Brazil this week? I never realised he was such a hearthrob 

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bob Dylan Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI