Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Bob Dylan

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bob Dylan Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bob Dylan - 12/10/2007 7:48:42 PM   
Monkey Wrench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

Monkey Wrench - you should know better. Dylan has only been solo acoustic on record for two whole albums since 1964, World Gone Wrong and Good As I Been To You in the early '90's, the rest of the time he has been backed by a band.

I'm sorry! I was being retarded and wasn't very "nail on the head". I was making a point of his earlier material where most of his prevalent work is associated and where a large portion of people base their general feelings on Dylan. I said "most" when I really should have said "a lot". And I'm not too familiar with the mid-to-later portion of his 60-odd records, I'm afraid! I hold my hands high. I have a go at people for not being specific enough and then I go and make a blunder. And you could have at least shot me down with more gusto! C'mon, Larry! Where were the expletives?!

Edit: My spelling. Ghastly!

< Message edited by Monkey Wrench -- 12/10/2007 8:12:37 PM >

Who put the brakes on courage?

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 31
RE: Bob Dylan - 12/10/2007 8:12:50 PM   
Larry of Arabia

'Tis not the Dylan way, my son. All good Bobcats know that, as well as knowing the fact that wearing sunglasses indoors immediately makes you 32% cooler.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Monkey Wrench)
Post #: 32
RE: Bob Dylan - 12/10/2007 9:31:49 PM   
Monkey Wrench

quote:

'Tis not the Dylan way, my son. All good Bobcats know that, as well as knowing the fact that wearing sunglasses indoors immediately makes you 32% cooler.

Who put the brakes on courage?

Post #: 33
RE: Bob Dylan - 13/10/2007 12:11:58 AM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Venkman

I love the video to Blood in my eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk2YX1yRWGw

One of my favourite tracks is 'License to Kill' from Infidels and this is brilliant...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sVdeg8dzb4

I need to get me a top hat. And a cane.

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 34
RE: Bob Dylan - 13/10/2007 9:10:14 AM   
chauncey

It IS possible to download Brownsville Girl as a single track. Try Virgin digital site. This is preferable to buying Knocked Out Loaded - part of the 80s hell.

The NeverEnding Tour has been Dylan's main concern for the last twenty years and should not be forgotten.

Modern Times has 3 songs that are 5 star wonders (Nettie M, WM Blues, and most of all Ain't Talkin), but having said that there are songs on there which do nothing for me. On Love & Theft all the songs add to the musical landscape.

BBC4 Sun has a BobFest.

top100 by Chauncey
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1476939&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 35
RE: Bob Dylan - 13/10/2007 11:44:02 AM   
Larry of Arabia

Ooh, that Bob Dylan Night looks interesting. I'm afraid I'm an iTunes user, chauncey, so I might have to suck it up and get Knocked Out Loaded - or find someone who has the CD, which may be even harder to do.

(in reply to chauncey)
Post #: 36
RE: Bob Dylan - 16/10/2007 9:14:01 PM   
foz

Clicky O'Here for details of a one-off charridee concert thingy to celebrate the launch of the film and soundtrack...

Post #: 37
RE: Bob Dylan - 16/10/2007 10:25:52 PM   
Larry of Arabia

J Mascis, Cat Power, My Morning Jacket, Al Kooper - all on the same stage because of His Bobness. Not even that - because of the soundtrack to the film about His Bobness. The Roots, as well, that's quite a nice surprise - shame it's in NYC.

These little tidbits are much appreciated, foz, by the way.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 38
RE: Bob Dylan - 17/10/2007 7:01:26 PM   
Venkman

The Dylan song I'm listening to most at the moment is 'Every Grain of Sand'. Great song

Post #: 39
RE: Bob Dylan - 17/10/2007 11:23:38 PM   
G.O.B

I've become a big fan of Dylan over the last six months,ever since listening to Blonde on Blonde.I recently bought the new three disc Dylan CD so i'm very happy.good to see so many Dylan fans on the forum.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 40
RE: Bob Dylan - 18/10/2007 12:30:58 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Venkman

The Dylan song I'm listening to most at the moment is 'Every Grain of Sand'. Great song

I heard Patti Smith's cover of Changing Of The Guards on her covers album, 12,  recently, which led me back to the original. They're quite diferent, to say the least. I think Dylan's late-'70's/early-'80's are a bit neglected - Every Grain Of Sand, Jokerman, Blind Willie McTell, The Changing Of The Guards, Gotta Serve Somebody (though I don't really like the whole Christian phase).

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 41
RE: Bob Dylan - 18/10/2007 2:39:49 PM   
rick_7

Great thread, I've really enjoyed reading it.

Dylan is hands-down my favourite artist and the one that I listen to the most. It doesn't go in cycles like with other bands - listening to them obsessively, then neglecting them for years - I just listen to him all the time. Time Out of Mind is probably his absolute best, not a concept album, but more coherent than those usually are: a collection of songs about the passage of time and the loss of one's powers - the spectre of death hanging suitably over the whole thing. Blonde on Blonde has a few weak moments but an astonishing number of classics, including Visions of Johanna, Sooner or Later, Stuck Inside of Mobile and Sad-Eyed Lady, which is my automatic answer whenever a conversation turns to favourite songs ever. His protest stuff seems to get short shrift from people these days, but The Times They Are A-Changin' is a magnificent album (despite excessive thieving from folk standards): ten near-flawless songs.

quote:

I think Dylan's late-'70's/early-'80's are a bit neglected - Every Grain Of Sand, Jokerman, Blind Willie McTell, The Changing Of The Guards, Gotta Serve Somebody (though I don't really like the whole Christian phase).

They're probably fairly neglected though, in comparison with his other stuff. There's at least one great song on most of his '70s and '80s records - in fact, we seem to agree on what they are, from your list above - but nothing like the invention and consistency of his best records. The version of Every Grain of Sand on Bootleg 3 is absolutely amazing, incidentally.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 18/10/2007 2:43:44 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

Post #: 42
RE: Bob Dylan - 18/10/2007 3:19:20 PM   
Rhubarb

I have a three CD player on my stereo and its pretty much guarenteed that one of the Holy Trinity (Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde) are in there at any given moment. That he could consistantly put out three albums of that quality actually astounds me, much The Beatles peak period.

Having said that Tangled Up in Blue is my favourite song of all time, possibly by any artist ever, its incredible. Blood on the Tracks will always be getting alot of love from me, as with Desire, which i just love to have on my turntable.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 43
RE: Bob Dylan - 18/10/2007 8:19:35 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

Great thread, I've really enjoyed reading it.

Dylan is hands-down my favourite artist and the one that I listen to the most. It doesn't go in cycles like with other bands - listening to them obsessively, then neglecting them for years - I just listen to him all the time. Time Out of Mind is probably his absolute best, not a concept album, but more coherent than those usually are: a collection of songs about the passage of time and the loss of one's powers - the spectre of death hanging suitably over the whole thing. Blonde on Blonde has a few weak moments but an astonishing number of classics, including Visions of Johanna, Sooner or Later, Stuck Inside of Mobile and Sad-Eyed Lady, which is my automatic answer whenever a conversation turns to favourite songs ever. His protest stuff seems to get short shrift from people these days, but The Times They Are A-Changin' is a magnificent album (despite excessive thieving from folk standards): ten near-flawless songs.

Seconded on both counts. Though I do tend to lean towards "Love & Theft", the atmosphere on Time Out Of Mind is brilliant, sustained from start to finish and particularly spooky on 'Highlands.' That's something I've always liked about his music - there's always something to find, not only in the words but in the playing. Augie Meyer's organ is used to particular effect on 'Love Sick.' The Times They Are A-Changin' deserves a place in anyone's Dylan collection - The Ballad Of Hollis Brown and Boots Of Spanish Leather are among his best, and I don't need to say anything about The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carrol.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 44
RE: Bob Dylan - 19/10/2007 1:53:57 PM   
Mr E

Bob Dylan's terriffic. Bringing It All Back Home would be my favourite album - it's a perfext mix of driving blues rock and gentle folk music. Love it.

Post #: 45
RE: Bob Dylan - 19/10/2007 4:07:16 PM   
Rhubarb

I've 'inherited' (i.e. half-inched while he wasn't looking) my dad's original 12" of The Times They Are A-Changing. Bloody great album. .

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 46
RE: Bob Dylan - 20/10/2007 2:35:43 AM   
Venkman

quote:

'70's/early-'80's are a bit neglected - Every Grain Of Sand, Jokerman, Blind Willie McTell, The Changing Of The Guards, Gotta Serve Somebody (though I don't really like the whole Christian phase).

I always think that maybe his 80's stuff are neglected because people don't like his Christian politics rather than listening to the music, do you think Dylan was actually a fully blown fire and brimstone christian or perhaps just re-inventing himself like he has done throughout his 40 years as a major artist?, apparently he made some comments about the wrongs of homosexuality at his gigs in the early 80's but that is all rumour and I think he has put all that nonsense behind him nowadays.

Post #: 47
RE: Bob Dylan - 20/10/2007 12:41:29 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I think they're neglected because of the quality, yes. Although Saved, Shot Of Love etc are in the middle of his 'born-again' period, their quality isn't brought into question because of the moralising, I don't think, but simply because Dylan wasn't at his best. The rest of the Eighties decline wasn't thrown into relief until 1989's Oh Mercy (a great album, one of my favourites), and by then, I think he had been less and less passionate about religion for some time. Even then, Under The Red Sky was next and that's not up there in the list of great Dylan albums either.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7
They're probably fairly neglected though, in comparison with his other stuff. There's at least one great song on most of his '70s and '80s records - in fact, we seem to agree on what they are, from your list above - but nothing like the invention and consistency of his best records. The version of Every Grain of Sand on Bootleg 3 is absolutely amazing, incidentally.

Speaking of The Bootleg Series - there an age old question. Which do you prefer - the Bootleg versions of the Blood On The Tracks songs (Tangled Up In Blue, Idiot Wind, If You See Her, Say Hello) or the final studio versions? As stand-alone's, I'd go for the Bootleg cuts, but I don't think I'd like that mood sustained over a whole album, and would go for the finished album as a whole, who's merits I don't have to explain.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 48
RE: Bob Dylan - 20/10/2007 10:38:51 PM   
the sangypange

i love dylan, my favourite record is probably Highway 61 revisited but its so close, love Blonde on Blonde and The Freewheelin Bob Dylan is awsome, especially highlights like Masters of war, Blowin in the wind and A Hard Rains gonna fall, i also recomend the often overooked Oh mercy and if you want a taster download The Man in the long Black coat

What are you doing in my tent?
Im Listening to records

check out the Pange's 10 album covers
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2212151

Post #: 49
RE: Bob Dylan - 21/10/2007 6:48:13 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Saw Bob's performance of Like A Rolling Stone at the 1965 Newport Fok Festival last night, as part of the whole Dylan night thing they were doing on BBC4. It's quite different from the final studio cut, and I have to admit - the best version I've heard.

(in reply to the sangypange)
Post #: 50
RE: Bob Dylan - 21/10/2007 9:33:40 PM   
woof

I caught some of the Bob Dylan on BBC4 and it made me stay up past my bedtime. I would really have loved to hear him play live in the sixties.

Post #: 51
RE: Bob Dylan - 22/10/2007 3:59:38 PM   
Venkman

quote:

Saw Bob's performance of Like A Rolling Stone at the 1965 Newport Fok Festival last night, as part of the whole Dylan night thing they were doing on BBC4. It's quite different from the final studio cut, and I have to admit - the best version I've heard.

yeh I saw that documentary as well, the performance was quite restrained, I prefer the more intense version he does on the Bootleg 'Royal Albert Hall' album 1966

Post #: 52
RE: Bob Dylan - 22/10/2007 5:28:01 PM   
Larry of Arabia

He seems to be quite good at playing around with arrangements and rhythms and generally just going with what sounds good - the version on BBC4 was kinda half way between the Albert Hall performance and the weird waltz-time version he recorded (on the No Direction Home soundtrack). Why on earth people say his lyrics are more interesting than his music is beyond me, considering the vast amount of out-takes that exist where the songs are sometimes unrecognisable.

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 53
RE: Bob Dylan - 23/10/2007 7:50:25 PM   
connexions

My brother got me onto Dylan when he played me desolation row from highway 61 revisited. For the whole 12 minutes running time I was captivated. There really is no-one else like him.

Post #: 54
RE: Bob Dylan - 30/10/2007 12:36:07 AM   
Larry of Arabia

Jesus, Mary and Joseph - the Bob Dylan at Newport DVD I ordered from Amazon still hasn't been dispatched yet, nevermind delivered. They're usually quite good for getting new releases on time. And the Jimi Hendrix at Monterey DVD was in there too! That's two great performances of Like A Rolling Stone I shall be denied for another day.

Incidentally, my art teacher at school was the one who got me into to Dylan. She used to play a cassette (yep, a cassette), I think it may have been Blood On The Tracks, during classes. She wasn't one of those crinkly, 'Oh, he was great when I was young' (in the '60's) teachers. She was a fox! Ah... good times.

(in reply to connexions)
Post #: 55
RE: Bob Dylan - 30/10/2007 1:38:42 PM   
hyde

I don't have any of his work. I was going to get the album that was out when the BBC documentary was on, but never did - I'm going to start with this latest release.

Post #: 56
RE: Bob Dylan - 30/10/2007 5:49:51 PM   
foz

Just got the I'm Not There soundtrack album...  there are some absolute corkers on there (standout by a country mile is Mark Lanegan's Man in the Long Black Coat), but it has to be said that there are a lot of people on the album who have turned up with incredibly bland MOR versions of really good songs.  And the less said about (the usually lovely) Cat Power's cringingly embarrassing Dylan impersonation the better

(in reply to hyde)
Post #: 57
RE: Bob Dylan - 1/11/2007 1:03:20 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Hmmm... any more recommendations, foz? I don't particularly like MOR, to be honest. Ah well, and suppose I'll have to get it and have a listen.

On a brighter not, my Other Side Of The Mirror DVD arrived yesteray and it's cracking. Also, for anyone wanting to send a cheeky message, use Bob's Subterranean Homesick Blues cue-card video to do so at www.dylanmessaging.com. Swear words are optional.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 58
RE: Bob Dylan - 1/11/2007 8:11:32 PM   
foz

My fave tracks on the album:

Mark Lanegan - Man in the Long Black Coat
Iron & Wine / Calexico - Dark Eyes
Eddie Vedder - All Along the Watchtower (always a brave choice for anyone to cover, done justice superbly)
Karen O - Highway 61 Revisited
Charlotte Gainsbourg - Just Like a Woman
The Black Keys - The Wicked Messenger
Mason Jennings - The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll

Post #: 59
RE: Bob Dylan - 1/11/2007 11:54:34 PM   
Venkman

quote:

ORIGINAL: hyde

I don't have any of his work. I was going to get the album that was out when the BBC documentary was on, but never did - I'm going to start with this latest release.

the new greatest hits album looks like a good place to start if you're just getting into Dylan and then hopefully you'll want to expand on it

(in reply to hyde)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bob Dylan Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI