Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 1/5/2009 9:13:38 PM   
moontheloon

I've never really checked out his Christian Era to be honest, I've always been tempted by some kind of morbid curiosity, but I always thought I would pick up all the rest first... apart from Dylan and the Dead, I really don't want that... But now I am more intrigued by Shot of Love...

I got asked my advice on Dylan today when I went into a record shop, they were looking to get some in but didn't know which ones to get (besides the obvious stuff like blood on the tracks and highway 61. Asked me to write a top 10, I felt quite complimented by that

And in answer to your question of what Ballad of a thin man and Desolation Row were like. Ballad of a Thin man was quite similar the album version I think (besides the vocals obviously), kept in the recognisable guitar riff, bit more bluesy, fleshed out, but very good. Desolation Row was again more bluesy (like the rest of the set) and I think had you taken out the lyrics it would have taken me longer to recognise it. However, it too was still very good!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 301
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 2/5/2009 10:59:48 PM   
Venkman

Every Grain of Sand is a great song, Dylan opts for a more embracive tone rather than relying on the fire and brimstone rhetoric that plagues a lot of his work of this era. William Blake's poem 'Auguries of Innocence' is very similiar, I don't know whether Dylan was influenced by this or not. If you haven't heard the song here is a very nice youtube video of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrRJV5vFXDI

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 302
Bob Dylan in Glasgow - 2/5/2009 11:34:47 PM   
M

My first time seeing Dylan, and although I'm not up to speed on much of his back catalogue outside the 'bigger' albums, I was pleasantly surprised that I recognised a fair whack of the music. It's definitely made we want to go out and explore more. My list:

Maggie's Farm
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
Til I Fell In Love With You
The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll
The Levee's Gonna Break
Workingman's Blues #2
Ballad Of Hollis Brown
Visions Of Johanna
Honest With Me
Every Grain Of Sand
Highway 61 Revisited
Ain't Talkin'
Thunder On The Mountain
Like A Rolling Stone

All Along The Watchtower
Spirit On The Water
Blowin' In The Wind

< Message edited by M -- 2/5/2009 11:35:36 PM >

I like to watch.

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 303
RE: Bob Dylan in Glasgow - 2/5/2009 11:47:13 PM   
Olaf

quote:

Visions Of Johanna

Really? I'm very jealous of you

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to M)
Post #: 304
RE: Bob Dylan in Glasgow - 4/5/2009 8:33:32 AM   
M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Visions Of Johanna

Really? I'm very jealous of you

It was very much the 'mobile-phones in the air' moment of the evening! It got a full work out, and sounded...I dunno what the word would be...rougher?...rawer?...than the album version. It was none the worse for it anyway.

The band were really excellent. I thought they really got to play on the more upbeat and rockier songs. Dylan himself was excellent - striking daft wee poses at the end of songs and doing a kind of crazy salute at the very end of the gig.

Ok, album-wise, I have:

Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited.

Recommendations for my next investment?

I like to watch.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 305
RE: Bob Dylan in Glasgow - 4/5/2009 12:17:04 PM   
Olaf

My personal favourite after Highway 61 and BotT would be Time Out Of Mind - but then, I have a huge soft spot for latter-day Dylan so I'll go ahead and recommend the also-brilliant "Love And Theft" and Modern Times. The first two are masterpieces, but in very different ways, and while Modern Times wouldn't be as good as those two it's got some of his best songs (Ain't Talkin' being a prime example).

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to M)
Post #: 306
RE: Bob Dylan in Glasgow - 4/5/2009 1:19:23 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Between those you have and those Olaf recommended, the only 'classics' left would be Desire and the underrated Oh Mercy*. But seeing as "Love & Theft" is my favourite album, I couldn't praise it highly enough as well. I think it would make a good double buy with Desire to give you a taste of the two different styles.

*EDIT: I always forget The Basement Tapes - that's a good 'un too.

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 4/5/2009 1:27:44 PM >

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 307
RE: Bob Dylan in Glasgow - 4/5/2009 1:51:11 PM   
moontheloon

Infadels is one of my favourites. And as for earlier stuff, Freewheelin' and Another Side of Bob Dylan are both great albums!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 308
RE: Bob Dylan in Glasgow - 4/5/2009 1:52:26 PM   
Olaf

Don't forget New Morning, it's bloody brilliant. And John Wesley Harding.

Post #: 309
RE: Bob Dylan in Glasgow - 5/5/2009 1:03:10 PM   
Venkman

I agree with every album that people have said but don't forgert The Times They Are A Changin'. Good shout with Oh Mercy Larry, I love the swampy sound of that album.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 310
RE: Bob Dylan in Dublin - 6/5/2009 1:38:22 AM   
Olaf

Yeah I know it's late, but I'm just back and I'm wide awake...
Stunning performance tonight - along with the old favourites there were a few unexpected but much-welcomed choices; Under The Red Sky (brilliant song but I had little hope of Bob playing it... looks like I was wrong! AND he played the guitar for it...), John Brown from MTV Unplugged, and If You Ever Go To Houston from the new album (with lyrics about James Joyce... perfect!) was added to the encore (its first ever live performance, according to boblinks.com). Other highlights included Bob taking to his Les Paul for a rawer-sounding Don't Think Twice, It's Alright (with harmonica outro replaced with with the man himself knocking out a big fuckoff guitar solo. Quality), singalongs for Just Like A Woman and Like A Rolling Stone, Stuck Inside Of Mobile being as brilliant as ever, Ain't Talkin' and an intense take on Masters Of War. Bob himself seemed to be a good mood, laughing, mucking about and doing those strange little dances throughout, and his voice sounded pretty good throughout despite struggling every now and again. Some minor niggles ("Love And Theft" favourite Lonesome Day Blues was stretched perhaps a minute or two too long into bluesy self-indulgence) but such criticisms are insignificant compared to how top-quality the whole show was. I'd go see him again...

SET LIST:
Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
Lonesome Day Blues
Just Like A Woman
Rollin' And Tumblin'
John Brown
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
Under The Red Sky
Honest With Me
Masters Of War
Highway 61 Revisited
Ain't Talkin'
Thunder On The Mountain
Like A Rolling Stone

All Along The Watchtower
If You Ever Go To Houston
Blowin' In The Wind

< Message edited by Olaf -- 6/5/2009 5:32:38 PM >

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 311
RE: Bob Dylan in Dublin - 6/5/2009 1:44:30 AM   
Rhubarb

Just Like A Woman

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 312
RE: Bob Dylan in Dublin - 6/5/2009 1:51:02 AM   
Olaf

I would say that I was slightly disappointed at the lack of Time Out Of Mind material... but I won't... plus he did what appeared to be "The Robot" during Leopard-Skin Pill Box Hat! Twas a great night.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 313
RE: Bob Dylan in Dublin - 6/5/2009 1:53:24 AM   
Rhubarb

Bob's "moves" are hilarious bless him.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, it looks like a great set. The thing about him is, he can pick so many good songs and still leave out so much good stuff. Ideally, I'd liked to have seen more Rolling Thunder-era stuff, but the stuff he's playing is amazing, so who am I to complain!

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 314
RE: Bob Dylan in Dublin - 6/5/2009 2:05:35 AM   
Olaf

That's it really, as much as I'd like to see certain songs in I wouldn't want to take out anything he did play. Interested in seeing what he plays tomorrow night (not that I'm going, sadly!). Just been on the Dylan forum and it turns out that John Brown's arrangement is based on a traditional Irish piece, so that explains its (pleasant) surprise inclusion.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 315
RE: Bob Dylan in Dublin - 7/5/2009 5:05:46 PM   
rick_7

I watched The Other Side of the Mirror at the weekend. It's about the most extraordinary thing I've ever seen.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 316
RE: Bob Dylan - 7/5/2009 5:28:18 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Just picked up the latest Dylan book today, Revolution In The Air by Clinton Heylin. I don't really indulge in too many Dylan books but instead of a straight biography it concentrates on the stories behind the songs, much like Ian McDonald's Beatles book Revolution In The Head, so thought I'd give it a go (apparently the title is unintentionally similar, taking a line from Tangled Up In Blue):

quote:

In Revolution In The Air Clinton Heylin recounts the story of each song as it is written, giving a full appreciation of the songs themselves as well as Dylan the emerging artist. Unlike any other book on Dylan, it charts his rise as a writer, where he gained his inspiration, the moments that produced some of the most famous songs as well as the lesser known stories behind the more iconic verses.

So far I've only read Heylin's intro, which does make him seem arrogant and pompous, talking about how he chose to undertake the project because everything else on Dylan is sub-par, almost with an "Oh, I'll just have to do it myself" manner. I'm hoping this arrogance isn't present throughout the rest of the book and he actually has something to say to back up his ego (though I can't see him being entirely unintrusive/unopinionated throughout 300 songs) because it's an interesting concept.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 317
RE: Bob Dylan in Dublin - 8/5/2009 12:20:36 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

I watched The Other Side of the Mirror at the weekend. It's about the most extraordinary thing I've ever seen.

I've got that about here somewhere, feel like watching it now. Brilliant stuff, just perfect.
P.S. I just noticed that everyone's got a Bob quote in their signature. Except Moon, sort it out mate...

< Message edited by Olaf -- 8/5/2009 12:22:28 AM >

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 318
RE: Bob Dylan in Dublin - 8/5/2009 12:51:53 AM   
moontheloon

quote:

P.S. I just noticed that everyone's got a Bob quote in their signature. Except Moon, sort it out mate...

Done.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 319
RE: Bob Dylan in Dublin - 8/5/2009 1:12:38 AM   
Olaf

Hurrah! Off to watch The Other Side Of The Mirror.

Post #: 320
RE: Bob Dylan to collaborate with McCartney? - 8/5/2009 3:34:05 AM   
moontheloon

http://www.nme.com/news/bob-dylan/44497

if this happens this could be quite exciting!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 321
RE: Bob Dylan to collaborate with McCartney? - 8/5/2009 3:49:31 AM   
Rhubarb

Yeah I saw this on the Guardian. Its obviously a fair way from happening, but it would be really cool if it did. I know Dylan has always held Macca in really high regard.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 322
RE: Bob Dylan - 10/5/2009 11:20:57 PM   
Jasper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

The only album of his that I currently own is Highway 61 Revisited which I really like. I'm adding the new 3CD compilation to my Xmas list as I'd like to hear more of his stuff and this seems like a good place to start.

I've heard that it's not the usual hits collection, so I don't think you can go wrong there - but don't wait till Christmas, you're denying yourself a treat!

If you don't have any of the other million greatest hits compilations that are out there then I'd recommend this, it covers his whole career and represents him well.

Plus it has Blind Willie McTell, one of the greatest songs of the '80s.

"Some people will offer you their hand and some won't

Last night I knew ya, tonight I don't

I need something strong, to distract my mind

I'm gonna look at you, till my eyes go blind"

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 323
RE: Bob Dylan - 31/7/2009 10:00:36 AM   
rick_7

This is a little, no, entirely, shameless, but I rewatched No Direction Home last weekend, then wrote it up as DVD of the Week in this weekly movies thing I do at work. Here it is: http://www.harrogateadvertiser.net/magazine/Films-on-TV--Aug.5510541.jp?articlepage=3

I also read a couple of Dylan books recently - Chronicles (yeah, I only just got round to it), which was utterly wonderful, and Down the Highway. Sounes is a good researcher, but his book is hampered by the fact that he focuses disproportionately on the new material he's dug up, and the fact that he can't write for shit. The bit about Dylan's lyrics being like "magic birds" entering the mind of the listener is hilariously rubbish. Nevertheless, there's plenty of interesting material and it's a fun read if you can check the author's desire to continually give Dylan - as a person - a good kicking.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Jasper)
Post #: 324
RE: Bob Dylan - 7/8/2009 12:12:47 AM   
Olaf

This could be... interesting: http://www.nme.com/news/bob-dylan/46529

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 325
RE: Bob Dylan - 7/8/2009 11:40:07 AM   
rick_7

quote:

Oh hully niiiiiiiiiight,
The starsarebrightly shine-iiiiiiing...

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 326
RE: Bob Dylan - 7/9/2009 4:31:26 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Okay, sue me. It's not like I hadn't heard of Dylan before a couple of years ago, but following Watchmen and it's absolutely superb opening sequence, I downloaded a few songs; all the really well known ones like Blowin' In The Wind, Like A Rolling Stone, Subterranean Homesick Blues. Up until last night, I had 13.

I finished the biography Down The Highway (which I recommend, it's excellent) and downloaded a further 50 or so. He's a genius, absolutely brilliant. It's Alright Ma is perfect. Tangled Up In Blue, Ballad In Plain D, Everybody Must Get Stoned... wonderful songs.

My favourite? The aforementioned Homesick Blues or Desolation Row. Beautiful.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 327
RE: Bob Dylan - 7/9/2009 4:41:28 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

I'd like to see him do it like the Beach Boys Christmas Albums, i.e. thier hits but reworked into Christmas songs. Sleigh Lady Sleigh anyone?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 328
RE: Bob Dylan - 7/9/2009 4:47:46 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

I'd like to see him do it like the Beach Boys Christmas Albums, i.e. thier hits but reworked into Christmas songs. Sleigh Lady Sleigh anyone?

I Want Yule?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 329
RE: Bob Dylan - 7/9/2009 4:54:01 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

I Want Yule?

Snowing In The Wind?

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI