Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Bob Dylan - New Album

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bob Dylan - New Album Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bob Dylan - New Album - 30/3/2009 5:27:49 PM   
G.O.B

quote:

ORIGINAL: nutteronabus

Back on topic: Free download of Beyond Here Lies Nothin' from the new album over at bobdylan.com. Think it's a one day only affair.

Just downloading this as i type this,i can confirm this is a one day offer so get it before it's gone if you want an idea of what the new album is going to be like.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to nutteronabus)
Post #: 271
RE: Bob Dylan - New Album - 30/3/2009 5:43:29 PM   
Olaf

I'm a bit underwhelmed on a first listen to be honest, doesn't seem to be offering the darker direction that Bob was mentioning earlier this month (sounds like it could have been on Modern Times really). Hoping it's a grower.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 30/3/2009 5:46:31 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 272
RE: Bob Dylan - New Album - 6/4/2009 5:37:35 PM   
Olaf

Didn't see anyone mention this, though it might be of interest to some (if memory serves me correctly, I had a similar discussion with Larry on the subject) - I was in my local record shop earlier today and noticed in the Bob Dylan section that there's new Dylan remasters out, and New Morning is one of them! (Now you all have no excuse not to own it..) Also came across The Basement Tapes, Before The Flood and, strangely, Dylan & The Dead. Anyone see any more of them?

< Message edited by Olaf -- 6/4/2009 5:41:17 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 273
RE: Bob Dylan - 7/4/2009 8:20:13 AM   
Bill Murray

bob dylan = 2nd best musical artist of all time, behind... guess who?

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 274
RE: Bob Dylan - 7/4/2009 11:41:33 AM   
Rhubarb

Herman's Hermits?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Bill Murray)
Post #: 275
Bob Dylan (Sheffield) - 2 tickets for sale - 23/4/2009 9:29:02 AM   
rick_7

EDIT: Sold Dad's tickets now (with his consent).

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 24/4/2009 12:45:12 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 276
RE: Bob Dylan (Sheffield) - 2 tickets for sale - 24/4/2009 2:30:29 PM   
Bulletproof_Monk

Going to the 02 tomorrow. Going to have to play bus to get there though thanks to no jubilee line, should take me about three hours.

CHAOS REIGNS!

Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 277
RE: Bob Dylan (Sheffield) - 2 tickets for sale - 25/4/2009 12:18:25 PM   
nutteronabus

I have a spare 2nd row seat for Birmingham on Wednesday as a friend's dad is in hospital.

Only asking 47, which is what I paid for it. Any takers?

--------

Sold. Thank you, and goodnight.

< Message edited by nutteronabus -- 26/4/2009 12:44:31 AM >

You think youre so cultured because youve gone to see Cats? You pampered upper-class drug-taking bitch!

(in reply to Bulletproof_Monk)
Post #: 278
RE: Bob Dylan (Sheffield) - 2 tickets for sale - 26/4/2009 9:57:51 AM   
Bulletproof_Monk

The 02 show was great last night. Still buzzing. Highlight for me was the cool new arrangement of 'Hattie Carroll', one of my fave songs.

SET LIST

Maggie's Farm
The Times They Are A Changin'
Things Have Changed
Chimes of Freedom
Rollin' And Tumblin'
The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll
Till I Fell In Love With You
Workingman's Blues #2
Highway 61 Revisited
Ballad of Hollis Brown
Po' Boy
Honest With Me
When The Deal Goes Down
Thunder On The Mountain
Like A Rolling Stone

ENCORE

All Along The Watchtower
Spirit On The Water
Blowin' In The Wind

CHAOS REIGNS!

Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead.

(in reply to nutteronabus)
Post #: 279
RE: Bob Dylan (Sheffield) - 2 tickets for sale - 26/4/2009 10:03:57 AM   
M

That's a great list, really looking forward to seeing him at Glasgow this weekend!

How was he singing/crowd interaction? I know he's infamous for being hit and miss this way, so was just wondering what mood/form he was in...

I like to watch.

Post #: 280
RE: Bob Dylan (Sheffield) - 2 tickets for sale - 26/4/2009 10:09:25 AM   
Bulletproof_Monk

Singing: Fine, could easily hear the words from where I was. A lot better than I'd been led to expect. 

Crowd interaction: None. The only time he spoke outside of the songs was to introduce the band.

CHAOS REIGNS!

(in reply to M)
Post #: 281
RE: Bob Dylan (Sheffield) - 2 tickets for sale - 26/4/2009 11:00:15 AM   
moontheloon

I am currently on the train (Free internet YAY) to London to go to the Roundhouse show tonight. I checked out the setlist from last night before I went to bed and I have to say it was very impressive so I am really looking forward to tonight. And of course if he doesn't play all the songs I want then I have Birmingham to have a second chance. The one song I would LOVE to see him play, but I don't think he's played it on this tour at all) is It ain't me babe, which is easily one of my favourite Dylan songs.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

Post #: 282
RE: Bob Dylan (Sheffield) - 2 tickets for sale - 26/4/2009 4:07:58 PM   
Rhubarb

Skanking my brothers internet just to say that the show last night was really impressive, I really enjoyed it. Bob seemed in a pretty good mood, despite the non-crowd interaction, and was in good voice, so yeah good stuff. 

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 283
RE: Bob Dylan (Sheffield) - 2 tickets for sale - 26/4/2009 4:18:22 PM   
MathewRed

His best song is 'It's Alright Ma'.

We're as similar as two dissimilar things in a pod

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 284
RE: Bob Dylan (Sheffield) - 2 tickets for sale - 27/4/2009 9:38:09 AM   
rick_7

Went to the Sheffield show and... what can I say? He was as good as I've ever seen him. And he kept grinning - and dancing! His sound and his voice were sensational. More to follow.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to MathewRed)
Post #: 285
Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 27/4/2009 11:06:51 AM   
rick_7

A bit more:

We got a really interesting setlist. It's liberating when you're lucky enough to see a favourite singer a few times, as you're not relying on them doing your favourites, since you've already heard them, and can just enjoy whatever they play (sorry if that sounds smug, it's not supposed to). What was really special, though, was the energy and invention on show - which bordered on the alchemic. There were rejigged, rejuvenated takes on '60s songs and great readings of some modern classics, while his extended blues numbers didn't wander off into the realms of self-indulgency (I don't usually gripe, but that's been the only real drawback in the past).

It's Alright Ma turned into keyboard-driven funk-rock (sounding a bit like the way he played Rolling Stone on the '66 tour but with a little less righteous fury), Boots of Spanish Leather had two guitar solos, Po' Boy was reinvented as a plaintive fable (perhaps the highlight of the night) and Highway 61 included Dylan hopping from one foot to the other - getting a Wurlitzer-like howl out of the keyboard -  and bursting out laughing - not what we've come to expect from the great man. But then he seemed in great spirits all night. The first two times I saw him he seemed barely interested; the last two he's been really up for it. Perhaps he prefers Sheffield to Manchester.

I was in the seventh row, which was just awesome, and the atmosphere (at least down the front) was party-like all night.

Here's the setlist:

1. Cat's in the Well
2. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
3. Things Have Changed
4. Boots of Spanish Leather
5. The Levee's Gonna Break
6. Sugar Baby
7. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
8. Po' Boy
9. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
10. Make You Feel My Love
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Love Sick
13. Thunder on the Mountain
14. Like a Rolling Stone

ENCORE:

15. All Along the Watchtower
16. Spirit on the Water
17. Blowin' in the Wind

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 27/4/2009 11:15:28 AM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 286
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 27/4/2009 5:19:50 PM   
Olaf

Can anyone tell how long Bob will be playing for roughly? The traffic is always mental outside the Point after shows so I might be forced to miss the encore. Is there a long period between the end of the show and the encore, from the shows so far?

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 287
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 27/4/2009 5:29:29 PM   
moontheloon

Last night the gap was maybe 2 minutes? tops. He was on stage about 25 past 8 and off about half 10, so just over a two hour set.

As for the show last night, I really enjoyed it, it was a nice venue and the crowd were all enthusiastic, felt sorry for some of the smaller members though as the view for them can't have been any good. The set started off very well for a first time gig and then a couple of songs I wasn't as impressed with (but mainly because I was less familiar with them). In all I thought it was a good show and I am looking forward to seeing what he will play on Wednesday!

Setlist for the roundhouse in London.

Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
Tangled Up In Blue
Million Miles
Rollin' And Tumblin'
Tryin' To Get To Heaven
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
Sugar Baby
High Water (for Charlie Patton)
I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
Po' Boy
Highway 61 Revisited
Ain't Talkin'
Summer Days
Like A Rolling Stone

ENCORE

All Along The Watchtower
Spirit On The Water
Blowin' In The Wind

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 288
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 27/4/2009 5:33:20 PM   
Olaf

He seems to be sticking to the keyboards.

Post #: 289
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 27/4/2009 5:49:58 PM   
moontheloon

Keyboards and Harmonica all night, and he only came to the centre stage once, during Blowin' in the wind, briefly. Oh and when they took their final bow he came to the centre with the band. The rest of the time it was off to the right on keys. But like Rick says, he did seem to be in good spirit, once or twice a big grin would appear on his face as he looked at the audience (very brief looks), and at one point he did kinda side skip across the stage, which was a surprise.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 290
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 28/4/2009 1:10:02 AM   
Larry of Arabia

I think I may be the only Dylan thread regular not ging to see him this time round. Oh well, next year maybe - just don't kick the bucket till after I see you Bob!

As for the new album, just to break the ice on that subject, I'm enjoying it more with each listen. Too early to tell just yet where it places in the cannon, but it's no duff. First impression was "where's all the heartfelt ballads like Workingman's Blues '#2?" but I think the sooner you realise this is a straight bluesy, spontaneous-type album the better. There's nothing as understated as Spirit On The Water or mystical as Aint Talkin'. Not that it's boring 12-bar shuffles thoughout (Life Is Hard is just lovely and Forgetful Heart is a more sombre affair as well), but it leans toward the up-tempo and light-hearted and these are much better than their contemporaries on Modern Times. Shake Shake Mama is great fun and you can hear Dylan's really enjoying himself on My Wife's Home Town ("Hell's my wife's home town..."). I Feel A Change Comin' On really is quite surprising, I don't think I remember a Dylan song sounding as carefree and gospel-tinged since the late-'70s. Not that the blues songs on Modern Times were bad, they had their charms, but there's definitely an improvement on Rollin' & Tumblin' and Someday Baby for example (Willie Dixon even gets a credit). The band on Together Through Life are better, the accordion and violin sometimes remind me of the Latin-flavoured cuts on Desire like Romance In Durango, and the guitar solos are beefy but unintrusive. I would have liked to hear Dylan give some great insight and emotional heft like he has on his past few records but I guess he just wanted to make this album as inspiration struck in whatever form. If I'm honest Together Through Life may fall a tad short than my admittedly high expectations, Dylan's renaissance has spoiled me, but the album does nobody a disservice and more than a few of the songs will be going on my never-ending Dylan playlist. I'm not even on my fourth listen yet either.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

Post #: 291
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 29/4/2009 11:24:51 AM   
rick_7

The problem with album reviews in papers and magazines is that journos only get to listen to records a few times before they deliver a "definitive" verdict, while Dylan's records tend to reveal themselves over several years. Perhaps that sounds pretentious. Perhaps it is pretentious. Here's hoping it's not. That's true of other artists too (Any Day Now, which I regarded as the weak point of From Elvis in Memphis for the first 50-odd listens, is now my favourite song on the album), but more so with Dylan because of the labyrinthine, multi-layered thematics, the wordplay and the nagging brilliance of much of the music. I know you know this, because you're well clever like me, and because you've implied it in the last line of your terrific post. So here are some barely-formed thoughts on the new record, cobbled together after listening to the first six songs on the record twice... I'm really enjoying the informality and immediacy of the album. The pared-down production (reminiscent of Johnny Cash's first two American Recordings LPs) seems to suit the material well and both the band and Dylan's vocals sound great. I haven't got to grips with the lyrics yet, as I like to sit down with the booklet and a mug of good tea (I can be a hoity-toity prick even if I don't drink wine), and unfortunately I was doing jobs. If the album has a weakness, it's the decision to drown out much of the first two tracks with the sound of gurgling water and someone chopping salad. It's really exciting to have the album in my hands and I can't wait to listen to it again tomorrow morning. (I've left it at home for Mrs_7 to listen to while she revises, as I'm off on a rare solo outing with friends from work. Certainly not to see Crank 2, that would be abhorrent. A giant Stath head. Awesome.) I'm enjoying it a lot.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 292
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 30/4/2009 12:14:49 AM   
moontheloon

The Wicked Messenger
It Ain't Me, Babe
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
Man In The Long Black Coat
Desolation Row
Honest With Me
Workingman's Blues #2
Highway 61 Revisited
Ballad Of A Thin Man
Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
Ain't Talkin'
Thunder On The Mountain
Like A Rolling Stone
All Along The Watchtower
Spirit On The Water
Blowin' In The Wind

Tonight's setlist I enjoyed a lot more, and I think the main reason was that he played It ain't me babe, which I adore. It was also during this song that Dylan picked up a guitar again! But only for that song. For me it will remain the highlight just because of my love for the song. Another reason I felt tonights show was superior to the roundhouse show was that Dylan actually Sang more. Sure he still did the whole speaking the songs thing he does, but every now and then he would sing a line, or sometimes a fair bit of the song, and it really did make it better to break it up a bit. Also quite chuffed with Desolation row which is probably my favourite song off of Highway 61

My only problems with the show was that the sound at the NIA wasn't amazing, it seemed to get a bit lost, which toward the start of the set was a teensy bit annoying, but as the night progressed they either fixed it, or I just adapted to it, either way I felt like it got better.

In all A very good show I felt, With signs that maybe Dylan will return to the guitar more often... perhaps?

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 293
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 30/4/2009 12:44:57 AM   
justfontaine

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

The Wicked Messenger
It Ain't Me, Babe
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
Man In The Long Black Coat
Desolation Row
Honest With Me
Workingman's Blues #2
Highway 61 Revisited
Ballad Of A Thin Man
Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)

Ain't Talkin'
Thunder On The Mountain
Like A Rolling Stone
All Along The Watchtower
Spirit On The Water
Blowin' In The Wind

that is sensational. im envious, a great setlist overall but especially with those four.

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

Post #: 294
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 30/4/2009 2:06:28 PM   
rick_7

That's a great setlist, Moon. I bet Ballad of a Thin Man and Desolation Row were incredible. What were the versions like? What about Workingman's Blues #2? I can't wait TWO YEARS for Dylan to tour again. Boooo.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Post #: 295
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 30/4/2009 5:42:07 PM   
jamesbondguy

I was at the NIA gig last night as well. I think I lucked out when choosing which venue to go to- Stuck Inside of Mobile and Desolation Row are my two favourite Dylan songs, so hearing them live was akin to a religious experience, really.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 296
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 30/4/2009 6:50:43 PM   
nutteronabus

Yup, NIA was the fucking bomb.

Got speaking to a guy afterwards who told me that he's followed Dylan round the UK since 2002, and for some reason the best shows usually end up being in Birmingham - and that last night was no exception.

You think youre so cultured because youve gone to see Cats? You pampered upper-class drug-taking bitch!

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 297
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 30/4/2009 11:12:47 PM   
Venkman

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

A bit more:

We got a really interesting setlist. It's liberating when you're lucky enough to see a favourite singer a few times, as you're not relying on them doing your favourites, since you've already heard them, and can just enjoy whatever they play (sorry if that sounds smug, it's not supposed to). What was really special, though, was the energy and invention on show - which bordered on the alchemic. There were rejigged, rejuvenated takes on '60s songs and great readings of some modern classics, while his extended blues numbers didn't wander off into the realms of self-indulgency (I don't usually gripe, but that's been the only real drawback in the past).

It's Alright Ma turned into keyboard-driven funk-rock (sounding a bit like the way he played Rolling Stone on the '66 tour but with a little less righteous fury), Boots of Spanish Leather had two guitar solos, Po' Boy was reinvented as a plaintive fable (perhaps the highlight of the night) and Highway 61 included Dylan hopping from one foot to the other - getting a Wurlitzer-like howl out of the keyboard -  and bursting out laughing - not what we've come to expect from the great man. But then he seemed in great spirits all night. The first two times I saw him he seemed barely interested; the last two he's been really up for it. Perhaps he prefers Sheffield to Manchester.

I was in the seventh row, which was just awesome, and the atmosphere (at least down the front) was party-like all night.

Here's the setlist:

1. Cat's in the Well
2. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
3. Things Have Changed
4. Boots of Spanish Leather
5. The Levee's Gonna Break
6. Sugar Baby
7. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
8. Po' Boy
9. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
10. Make You Feel My Love
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Love Sick
13. Thunder on the Mountain
14. Like a Rolling Stone

ENCORE:

15. All Along the Watchtower
16. Spirit on the Water
17. Blowin' in the Wind

I was at this show as well, 12 rows from the front, great seats. My highlight of the night was definitely 'Boots of Spanish Leather', I love the way he restyles his old songs into his new bluesy Modern Times sound. The Harmonica playing was very nice as well, I don't think he played it when I saw him for the first time two years ago. I was slightly dissapointed that he didn't play any tracks from the new album, I was hoping for a sneak preview but it was still a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Like Larry of Arabia and Rick_7 I still can't make a full judgement on Together Through Life as I haven't listened to it enough yet, but so far its very promising. 'I feel a change comin on' is my favourite so far, if it wasn't for the increased 'croakiness' of Dylan's voice it sounds like it could of come off New Morning. 'Life is Hard' is probably the most Modern Times like song but I feel that the album is somewhat of a departure from the last two records and maybe Dylan's moving in another direction again.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 298
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 1/5/2009 11:40:45 AM   
Olaf

Can't wait til Tuesday - hoping for Highway 61 Revisited (looks like a certainty), Desolation Row (maybe) and Cold Irons Bound (unlikely), but I'm not too worried about the setlist. Very excited

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 299
RE: Bob Dylan in Sheffield - 1/5/2009 12:57:23 PM   
rick_7

I don't know about you, but I don't generally put on a CD because I want to be told I'm going to hell. As a result, I'm not overly sold on Dylan's Christian stuff, which marries odious intolerance to writer's-block-melodies. It seems pretty unfair that God gave Dylan Like a Rolling Stone, A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall and Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands, and Dylan gave God Saved. ("I was blinded by the devil/Born already ruined/Stone-cold dead/As I stepped out of the womb..." "Bob, what the hell is this?") Still, there are gems amongst the acres of finely-honed dross and it's one of those that I want to harp on about today.

Every Grain of Sand might just be the best song Dylan's ever written. The final track on Shot of Love, it's a moving and articulate exploration of faith, mortality and the desire to find 'something more' that's completely at odds with the bulk of his Christian songs in being restrained, intelligent, positive and poetic. It also shows the singer at his most vulnerable, its disarming honesty explaining his conversion. The melody is wonderful, Dylan's vocal is brilliant and the lyrics are wonderfully phrased. It's as simple and timeless as a 19th-century hymn. Plus, the Bootleg 3 version has him duetting with a dog.

I'm not sure which reading I prefer. Though the Shot of Love take has some of Dylan's greatest singing, the rejected version changes the penultimate line (more on that below) and has the afore-mentioned woofing.

I am hanging in the balance of the reality of man,
Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.

- Shot of Love version

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan,
Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
- Bootleg 3 version

Anyone else like it? I saw it was in Venkman's top 100.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bob Dylan - New Album Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI