Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Friday Night Lights - US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Friday Night Lights - US Speed Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Friday Night Lights - US Speed - 10/10/2007 2:17:26 AM   
Art Vandelay

There's an ITV4 Thread and it used to get a mention in other Threads, but there's never been an actual Thread for the Friday Night Lights, US speed. So i figured i'd start one, although if i'm the only one watching Season 2, then this probably won't go very far. Just catching up with the end of Season 1 and viewing the Premiere of Season 2 restored my faith in this probably being the best Drama currently on TV. It's just real "drama" with real characters, and acting wise, it cannot be matched.

It's been a great start to Season 2, and without ruining much, featuring one of the most gripping and chilling scenes that i've seen in quite some time. So is anyone else up to date with the show?

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."
Post #: 1
RE: Friday Night Lights - US Speed - 10/10/2007 7:10:40 AM   
hongkongphooey

I have no idea why I didn't watch it at the time but I caught up with it over the last weeks, and absolutely love it. The acting is suberb, while the behaviour of the characters is always 'real'. I do have concerns about what happened in episode 1, but I have faith in the show to not make a mess of it.

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 2
RE: Friday Night Lights - US Speed - 10/10/2007 10:30:37 AM   
Captain Black

It absolutely staggers me that Moonlight got higher audience figures than this show. I've just taken a look at the comments on the IMDb too: moronic reviews litter the first page.

There were a few dips towards the end of the first year, particularly as they tried to give all of the characters a storyline, but damn if this wasn't the most consistently well written and acted network show of last year.

I must admit, I'm really not too keen on the Landry killing the attempted rapist storyline. It seems a bit artificial; everything they did last year was so organic (even the introduction of said rapist, by comparison, tapped in to the nature of the town and who wouldn't be at the game on a big football night). I wonder if this is a bit of interference from NBC? And Landry is among my favourite characters so to have this hang over him for the rest of the show (however it plays out) leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

There was good stuff though. I particularly liked the scene in the supermarket where Saracen goes for the handshake and Taylor grabs him and gives him a hug instead.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to hongkongphooey)
Post #: 3
RE: Friday Night Lights - US Speed - 10/10/2007 3:41:42 PM   
Art Vandelay

Yep, that's what i was thinking. Landry is one of my favourite characters, and the relationship between him and Tyra was starting to grow on me. But after this, i don't see how it can ever go back to how it used to be. I can't see him ever being the funny, innocent sidekick anymore.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 4
RE: Friday Night Lights - US Speed - 10/10/2007 4:08:01 PM   
Filmic Joe

Yeah, I've been watching it too, and the season is off to a great start.  I'm not sure about the murder storyline, but I'm more than willing to let it play out before I judge it.  Could be crap, could be great.  Other than that, a very good start to the season.

People are sponges, waiting to be soaked in the knowledge of life.

"You Crazy, Wonderful Zombie!"

Post #: 5
RE: Friday Night Lights - US Speed - 14/10/2007 3:51:45 AM   
Art Vandelay

Great episode this week, although i'm a little surprised to see Landry and Tyra getting together so quickly. I thought they would have played that out for quite a few more episodes, and as story arcs go (there are quite a few), i think the one i'm currently most interested in is Jason Street's belief in walking again. He's had very little going on this Season so far, and at the end of last Season, so it'll be good to see some time spent on his life once again. And i know i've said it before, but as acting goes, nothing really comes close to this. Every single actor is just a joy to watch, with the likes of Landry, Tyra and Tami Taylor providing award winning performances from the last two episodes alone.

Ratings aren't going too well at the moment. Not bad, but not enough to assure me that NBC won't pull the plug at any time. This needs to stay on the air!

(in reply to Filmic Joe)
Post #: 6
RE: Friday Night Lights - US Speed - 30/10/2007 2:26:22 PM   
Captain Black

Up to 2.4.......

I think they've handled the Landry/Tyra storyline really well up to this point after not being keen on it initially. And Landry's dad is Aaron Pierce, which is just awesome.

I'm glad that Coach Taylor (normally I like to refer to characters by their first name, but calling him Eric just sounds weird!) is back in Dillon for the dynamics of the show. I hope Smash and Saracen (and how funny was it when Saracen's grandmother was explaining the game to their careworker?) get a bit more screen time now as a result.

I imagine that they'll run up against that coach again in the State Championship, much as they did with the Voodoo character from last year. I did really like that scene where he spoke to Coach at his door; Taylor's probably the single most fundamentally decent human being on television, yet here they portray him in a bad light.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 7
RE: Friday Night Lights - US Speed - 30/10/2007 5:55:18 PM   
Zaphod121

Finally caught up on this, loving Season 2 so far, wasn't sure about murder storyline but as you said Captain they've handled it really well so far. It really baffles me that so many reviews on IMDB bad mouth the show.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 8
RE: Friday Night Lights - US Speed - 31/10/2007 2:12:28 AM   
Art Vandelay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Finally caught up on this, loving Season 2 so far, wasn't sure about murder storyline but as you said Captain they've handled it really well so far. It really baffles me that so many reviews on IMDB bad mouth the show.

I wouldn't take most people who post on IMDB too seriously. They mostly post crap. But yeah, they have handled the murder storyline very well, and although it's good to see Coach Taylor back home, i would have thought we would have seen him stay with the College team for at least a few more episodes.

And yep, i'm sure we'll be seeing the recently fired Coach return at some point this Season. I actually felt bad for the guy.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 9
RE: Friday Night Lights - US Speed - 31/10/2007 1:45:42 PM   
potus

I'm comforted by some of the replies in this thread, those regarding the murder story especially. I was actually a little bit devastated when I read about it happening, I was in denial for about three days. It seemed to me, after what I thought was a virtually immaculate first season, that it might actually be shark-jumpingly melodramatic, something the first run did brilliantly to avoid. And all that without actually seeing any of it.

"But what I say to you, Glasgow, is could an invisible cloud of shit-smelling gas with its own Channel 4 show be any less funny than the Friday Night Project?"

Post #: 10
RE: Friday Night Lights - US Speed - 3/11/2007 8:21:54 PM   
Zaphod121

Episode 5 was great, it was pretty heartbreaking to see Tyra break up with Landrey and then seeing her breakdown in the car, but I'm glad he got his moment also gald that Matt and Julie aren't just suddenly going to get back together. Also how many episodes have NBC ordered in total for Season 2, is it only like 12 or 13?

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to potus)
Post #: 11
RE: Friday Night Lights - US Speed - 3/11/2007 8:49:37 PM   
Captain Black

The good news: they've got scripts up to episode 15, so production can continue until then and, keeping the strike in mind, that's good for the show. It's also up against two new shows in Moonlight and Women's Murder Club (both of which have arguably overperformed in ratings terms though the latter has a built in fanbase from the book) which is a bonus as they'll probably have fewer episodes ready to shoot.

My favourite scene of episode five was when Jason dived into the sea and washed up. I just thought: wow, this show is genuine art at times.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 12
RE: Friday Night Lights S2 - US Speed - 15/12/2007 5:01:35 PM   
Zaphod121

Damn, I'm two episodes behind on this, but I did get the Season 1 boxset for my birthday, huzzah!

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 13
RE: Friday Night Lights S2 - US Speed - 25/1/2008 1:38:51 AM   
Art Vandelay

Just caught up on the last 3 episodes to have aired, and its just a nice reminder that this still remains the top show currently airing on TV. I'm trying not to go too over-the-top, but i really can't think of the last time a relationship was so realistically portrayed as it is with the Taylors. Every scene with the two of them, and their family is just refreshing to watch. My only complaint of the last three episodes is that Street only appeared in one small, pointless scene. Since his return from Mexico, he's had no real part in the show.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 14
RE: Friday Night Lights S2 - US Speed - 7/2/2008 10:25:28 PM   
Zaphod121

This doesn't look good:
http://www.tv.com/story/10810.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=news&tag=headlines;title;1

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 15
RE: Friday Night Lights S2 - US Speed - 7/2/2008 10:54:45 PM   
Art Vandelay

Really wish i hadn't read that. Far too depressed now. This could mean that tomorrow's episode could be the last ever!

Damn it...

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 16
RE: Friday Night Lights S2 - US Speed - 8/2/2008 7:42:51 AM   
Zaphod121

Yeah, I'm currently about 6 episode behind (and by tomorrow that will become about 7) so I still have a bunch to watch but I'm still pretty bummed.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 17
RE: Friday Night Lights S2 - US Speed - 2/3/2008 1:19:59 PM   
Zaphod121

looks like there might be a 3rd season after all -
http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/63/26763.php
also Season 2 box art -
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Friday-Night-Lights-Season-2-Box-Art/9091
and extras -
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Friday-Night-Lights-Season-2/9078

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 18
RE: Friday Night Lights S2 - US Speed - 3/3/2008 1:53:42 AM   
Art Vandelay

Amazing news, but i won't get all my hopes up until i read about an official return date. This has made my day though.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 19
RE: Friday Night Lights S2 - US Speed - 26/3/2008 9:19:57 PM   
Zaphod121

Finally been catching up on the show (only 1 more ep left!) and more importantly getting back into the show. Just came to say that the scene in 2.14 (?) where the coach throws drunk Matt in the shower and then he starts shouting at coach saying everyone leaves him was bloody brilliant, some damn fine acting from Zach Gilford. Man now I really want there to be a Season 3.

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 26/3/2008 9:22:23 PM >

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 20
RE: Friday Night Lights S2 - US Speed - 27/3/2008 4:32:59 PM   
benmharper

I just emailed ITV to see if they were gonna get season 2. Nope, they've decided against it so i'm now playing catch up from over the pond. I should watch all tv this way coz i get sick of waitng for them to be shown over here.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 21
RE: Friday Night Lights Season 3 is a go!!! - 3/4/2008 3:51:37 PM   
Zaphod121

FNL has been renewed for a third season, only a 13 episode oder at the mo, but still, WOO!!!
http://www.tv.com/story/11093.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=news&tag=headlines;title;3

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 22
RE: Friday Night Lights Season 3 is a go!!! - 10/7/2008 9:47:40 PM   
Zaphod121

Looks like like Smash and Street have been demoted...
http://www.tv.com/story/11468.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=news&tag=headlines;title;2

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 23
RE: Friday Night Lights Season 3 is a go!!! - 11/7/2008 1:49:24 AM   
Art Vandelay

I appreciate the realism they're going for, but this still sucks. It makes sense for Smash to head off to college, but i figured Street would stick around as a coach for the Football team. Guess not.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 24
RE: Friday Night Lights - US Speed - 11/7/2008 7:08:28 AM   
Zaphod121

I was thinking that maybe Street moves out Dillon with his now pregnant girlfriend, at least they haven't been dropped out of the series altogether.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 25
RE: Friday Night Lights Season 3 - US Speed - 1/10/2008 9:12:47 PM   
Zaphod121

The first ep will be available today in the states via DirecTV, there's only one question that needs asking, will it be available to download??? God I hope so.

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 1/10/2008 9:13:51 PM >

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 26
RE: Friday Night Lights Season 3 - US Speed - 3/10/2008 12:32:04 AM   
Art Vandelay

It is. Thank God. I almost forgot it was coming back, so this has made my day. Off to watch it!

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 27
RE: Friday Night Lights Season 3 - US Speed - 3/10/2008 1:32:11 AM   
Zaphod121

Just got done watching it a little while ago (despite it being 1 30am, I couldn't wait!) absolutely LOVED it! Everything about it seemed to click, all the story lines worked, Lyla taking control was fantastic (not sure about her hair though) to much to talk about really, BUT though I was never a fan of them as a couple before I think Tyra and Riggins really work great together, that have really nice chemistry. I admit I did miss Jason and we really didn't see enough of Matt. Great ending though with the squash game, can't wait for ep 2! Oh and what happened to that guy who was in prison from Season 2? Did he just disappear like Smash's crazy girlfriend from Season 1. LOL

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 28
RE: Friday Night Lights Season 3 - US Speed - 4/10/2008 10:14:14 PM   
VincentHanna

I'd like to say series 3 has started with a bang, but that's an insult to how well-written FNL is: it doesn't need to be flashy and noisy to get your attention. Like most other episodes, it started slow and built towards a resounding ending. Good to see so many of the cast back and continuing from where they were last year.
For me, Kyle Chandler is the heart and soul of this show and his role in this episode is as excellent as ever.

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 29
RE: Friday Night Lights Season 3 - US Speed - 10/10/2008 10:28:39 AM   
Zaphod121

Loved epi 2, this whole jumbo tron thing is great, but how much of an ass is the mayor? god she's fucking pissing me off. Tyra was being a bit of an idiot too, strippers? I man come on. So we finally meet Matts mum, interesting, Matts really being put through the ringer right now, what with this whole new young QB and his Grandma and everything, so it's nice to some rekindling going on between him and Julie.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Friday Night Lights - US Speed Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI