Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Invasion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Invasion Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Invasion - 9/10/2007 12:18:16 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Invasion - 9/10/2007 12:18:16 PM   
moviemaniac2

I saw this film on hols in Washington, hoping it would be at least passable. But it was a total mess, with action scenes that looked tacked on at the last minute!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Invasion - 10/10/2007 3:28:42 PM   
Tom Traubert

Of course it was a mess! The producers butchered the movie by letting the Wachowskis and their protege McTeigue reshoot a good portion of the movie and then combine it with the footage originally shot by Hirchbiegel.

(in reply to moviemaniac2)
Post #: 3
RE: Invasion - 10/10/2007 6:39:10 PM   
Ghidorah

Does Daniel Craig do this?

[img]http://www.dccc.org/stakeholder/archives/body_snatchers.jpg[/img]

(in reply to Tom Traubert)
Post #: 4
RE: Invasion - 11/10/2007 12:10:23 PM   
likeinthatfilm

Thought it was terrible to be honest.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 5
RE: Invasion - 12/10/2007 4:51:35 PM   
UTB

I do like that someone's been kind enough to put a review on the poster.

Do not trust anyone.
Do not show emotion.
Do not fall asleep.

Sums the film up perfectly.

(in reply to likeinthatfilm)
Post #: 6
Dave Rave - 12/10/2007 7:29:57 PM   
David Earl

Shame, so looking forward to this film. Some of the action parts just got you going, then let you down. After pub film only (just}.

Post #: 7
INVASION - 12/10/2007 7:32:32 PM   
David Earl

Shame, so looking forward to this film. Some of the action parts just got you going, then let you down. After pub film only (just}.

Post #: 8
RE: INVASION - 13/10/2007 10:52:34 AM   
Mr Fallan

Was certainly tense in places-the over eager census guy and the vomit inducing tube passengers but had no weighty message. Didn't Kidman and Craig look considerably younger too? Shows how long production went on for. Didn't like the flash forward sequences during conversation-cheap technique to add tension to sedate footage. Bring on "Legend".

(in reply to David Earl)
Post #: 9
RE: INVASION - 14/10/2007 2:12:54 PM   
Mojo

I didn't think it was that bad at all to be honest. I'm a sucker for this kind of film though, and I loved all the scenes with survivors trying to pass off as people who were infected. Kidman's accent was all over the place but she was good enough, whilst Daniel Craig and Jeffrey Wright gave it some weight. The action scenes did seem a little random but were enjoyable for the most part. Wasn't as good as it should have been but certainly not as bad as all the reviews seem to be saying.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Mr Fallan)
Post #: 10
RE: INVASION - 14/10/2007 5:12:21 PM   
Southall Sissoko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

I loved all the scenes with survivors trying to pass off as people who were infected.

Sounds a bit like Shaun of the Dead...

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 11
RE: INVASION - 14/10/2007 5:53:28 PM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Southall Sissoko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

I loved all the scenes with survivors trying to pass off as people who were infected.

Sounds a bit like Shaun of the Dead...

Ha, was a lot like Shaun of the Dead actually.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Southall Sissoko)
Post #: 12
The Invasion - 14/10/2007 9:41:05 PM   
Dr Lenera

POSSIBLE SPOILERS
The Invasion really ain't that bad,certainly not as bad as some reviews might make out [and when does a film's failure at the box office automatically mean it's no good?]. Of course it pales in comparison with the classic 1956 Invasion Of The Body Snatchers,which is a great movie,and the 1978 remake,which if not great is still pretty good. But I reckon it's at least as good as the almost forgotten 1993 version.

Maybe it's something to do with the basic idea,which is probably impossible to totally screw up. Entities out to take over everyone in the world,with your friends and loved ones gradually succumbing,and the near inevitibility that you could be next and will lose your emotions...it's terrifying and thought provoking with as many subtexts in there as you want.

This version really screws up the early scenes. Straight away we are pretty much told what is going on and the aliens take over far too quickly. The earlier versions gained from introducing the taking over almost as a mystery and doing it far more gradually,in that way building suspense and increasing the horror when things really turn nasty. Therefore the bulk of this film is our three main leads running from everyone else,and this stuff is stretched out a bit. Nevertheless,Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman make a good team although they don't have enough screen team together,and some scenes are very effective. Kidman's encounter with a 'census taker' at her door is frightening,a scene of a newly taken over person scrambling off on all fours is uncanny,and there are a few uneasy bits involving young kids who are taken over,something previously avoided. However,a virus is nowhere near as scary as the pods of the other versions.

The troubled production history does show a bit. The added action is okay but there is a disjointed feel to the film. Scenes appear to be missing and others don't flow. The introduction of a possible vaccine half way through and having some people immune straight reduces the terror,and the ending is atrocious,and shows that probably this versions greatest flaw is it's lack of bravery,with the occasional comments on things like the war in Iraq coming off as being both half hearted and gratuitous. However,it isn't a bad movie really,it entertains,keeps moving and is never dull. It just doesn't get under your skin like it should. And in 15 or so years time they'll be another version anyway.

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 14/10/2007 10:10:36 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: The Invasion - 15/10/2007 11:00:15 AM   
Cruisecontroller

SPOILERS!

Ok I admit it I liked yes I liked and enjoyed this movie. It`s by no means a perfect classic remake. There are moments where some of the acting and cluncky dialogue slip the film into self parody. Nicole Kidmans US accent is terrible and her reaction when Veronica Cartwrights character tells her her husband isn`t her husband is unintentionally amusing and like Anna Farris in a Scary Movie scene. There is also another unintentionally amusing moment when one of Nicole Kidmans sons friends having been changed talks to her like a robot and tries to get her to go to sleep in the railway carriage to be changed. 

Overall though its still a good enjoyable creepy movie with some new effective scenes not seen in previous remakes that add something new and chilling to the story. I especially liked the very creepy census guy who practically tries to ram his way into Nicole Kidmans house, the infected staring from there cars at Nicole Kidman while driving past her and the metro train ambush by the infected on those who fail to pass as infected who have alien mucus vomited on them. I also think the decision to have no pod replica`s but to change people from within by being in a cryslis state when asleep is just as effective and scary. Also having world peace break out just would be kind of inevitable if we were all taken over by one alien force if any resistence was destroyed. I don`t think the movie is saying Earth would be so much better if we were all taken over by emotionless aliens!

The orgional `56 movie was orgional and ground breaking but is very dated, slow and not really scary now. This is creepier than that but isn`t any better than the `78 remake which is still the best version to me. It isn`t as bleak as that version as this one has hope as some people are immune to the virus who have previously had chicken pox including Nicole Kidmans son which leads to a happy ending which is just too corny and contrived and does undermine the movie. If you like this kind of sci fi though it`s worth a look and is better than alot of people have given it credit for. It`s as entertaining to me as a decent episode of the revamped Doctor Who which at times has been worse than this. That`s my no doubt controversual view. Here comes the outrage... 

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 16/10/2007 10:44:45 AM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

Post #: 14
RE: The Invasion - 17/10/2007 8:55:06 AM   
MartinBlank76

*****POSSIBLE SPOILERS*******

I quite enjoyed this though its obvious in places its been hacked apart and pieced together rather than being edited, especially in the first half of the film. Maybe on dvd we could get a directors cut and see it how hirschbiegel originally intended to be? There isnt that much action in the film, it works more on playing on your paranoia and is quite suspensful and creepy in parts.

It does suffer from moving too quickly though in terms of character development and people realising whats happening so fast and how to counter it. Also it has a poor war of the worlds/independence day type ending where everything is resolved really quickly and goes back to normal too easily which jars with what was happening earlier in the film especially the scenes on the news. If ever a film was crying out for a longer running time this is it. It feels like a film with a missing half hour or 40 mins and if this was amended I think it would be a lot better.

As it is, its good solid fare, well worth watching though it could have been great. Kidman is good and Craig does well too even though he doesnt have much to work with and despite the fact he regularly disappears from the movie. Northam is always good value, but poor old wright has virtually nothing to do other than give a load of scientific exposition. I am a sucker for this type of movie and theres enough to good stuff here to counter what has been mishandled.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 15
Dumb Fun! - 20/10/2007 5:41:27 PM   
02PARSIM

This is a movie I vow to defend because of how much I enjoyed it in comparison the truly spiteful reviews I have read about it. The Invasion may be flawed, mainly due to the obscure editing and silly script, but the fact remains that its entertaining. Nicole Kidman does a brilliant job in my eyes and Daniel Craig is doing alright in it as well. The ending is a nice touch as well. There are a few tense set pieces here and there and the idea remains extremely strong. My advice is to ignore the critics, this is a pretty good movie.

Post #: 16
- 1/1/2008 2:33:33 PM   
Deeznutz

Dreadful....you wandered what everyone was thinking on this one.

Post #: 17
Meh - 23/1/2008 10:17:23 PM   
Caster

Not bad but not really good either, which begs the question "Why bother remaking a film that's already been made at least four times?" Kidman is good but that's about it.

Post #: 18
When? - 7/2/2008 12:24:56 PM   
tallaght24

When will this be released, or has it been released already?

Post #: 19
Alright, Nothing Special. - 26/2/2008 1:30:18 PM   
joanna likes films

Okay, it's got two of the most hottest stars around Hollywood and a horror story in tow. But the big question is:, why on earth was it so crap? Nicole Kidman was SOO Annoying, she can not act and it's proven in this. The only good one out of the lot was Daniel Craig and he's sexy, he could do a lot better than this though I did enjoy him in a officer's jacket and hat! The scares are frightening but very short, it got on to it way too quickly and too damn short. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to this and I'm bitterly disappointed. No wonder you guys and others didn't like, I will think carefully next time.

Post #: 20
This really isn't a bad film - 27/2/2008 12:41:43 PM   
mrwinky99

I dont really agree with reviewer's baulking at the idea of an end to atrocities as part of the take over. The whole idea of the collective mind theme is that it would strip us of what it means to be human and yes, that means killing each other at a rate of knots but it also means there would be no art, no beauty, no love and I think the question being asked here is - is an end to war and suffering worth it at the cost of all the positive things that make us what we are?
It's short-sighted to compare human rights protesters and pacifists to the pod people as pacifists are still empowered with all the positive strengths of being human but are struggling to end the negative elements.

I'm not quite sure why this has taken the pasting that it has - yes, it's not by any means perfect but it does make some interesting points and serves as a good companion peice to the 56, 78 and 93 re-workings of the story.
I agree that some things seem disjointed and hastily put together but it still manages to evoke a crushing atmosphere of paranoia and the slide into pod-dom is immaculately paced.

and ok, yes....the ending was unforgivable.

Post #: 21
The Invasion.......oh dear - 29/2/2008 9:11:29 AM   
Lycan

Worst. FIlm. Ever. I just had to post this because I watched it last night and am still so angry that I have lost almost 2 hours of my life on such a poor film. How on earth can Kidman and Craig look (two great actors) live with themselves after making this. An insult to movie-lovers everywhere.

Post #: 22
RE: The Invasion.......oh dear - 16/6/2008 8:03:19 AM   
Newander

Saw this last night and quite enjoyed it, better than some of the reviews i've read about it., It was creepy in parts, action packed and overall entertaining.
Nicole Kidman was good, as she is in most things and the laed kid, what a cutie

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to Lycan)
Post #: 23
RE: The Invasion - 16/6/2008 9:13:37 AM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

Sounds worth a rent.

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

Post #: 24
RE: The Invasion - 16/6/2008 7:17:03 PM   
Caster

You'd think.  But...no.

(in reply to Timmy_Brisby_05)
Post #: 25
RE: The Invasion - 18/6/2008 5:08:35 PM   
Newander

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster

You'd think.  But...no.

Oh yes it is

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 26
RE: The Invasion.......oh dear - 9/8/2011 9:21:58 AM   
brucejackiejet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lycan

Worst. FIlm. Ever. I just had to post this because I watched it last night and am still so angry that I have lost almost 2 hours of my life on such a poor film.

Ha ha, this made me laugh - if this is the worst film you've ever seen then you've been luckier than me in your film choices

Saw this last night and quite enjoyed it. My favourite is the 1956 original and it wasn't a patch on that but still, I certainly wasn't bored and the running time seemed to pass pretty quick (maybe a little too quick in fact). Yes it was a bit clunky, and I think Daniel Craig was criminally underused. In fact I think it would have been a lot better had it been him and Kidman on the run rather than her and her son.

I also agree with the earlier point that it's an unfair criticism of the reviewer to slate the fact that the film implied that there could be some good from ending all war. It's a perfectly valid point, especially in this day and age, that with all the bad stuff humans are responsibile for - wars, terrorism, global warming - you can see the argument for taking away our free will. Obviously it doesn't make you side with the aliens but at least makes you question the cost of 'being human', and is a tad more intelligent than just saying the aliens are all evil and humans are all good.

Anyway, overall I thought it was entertaining if flawed and not as good as it could have been. Either way there are definitely much worse films out there.

(in reply to Lycan)
Post #: 27
RE: The Invasion.......oh dear - 10/8/2011 1:10:45 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: brucejackiejet

quote:

Worst. FIlm. Ever. I just had to post this because I watched it last night and am still so angry that I have lost almost 2 hours of my life on such a poor film.

Ha ha, this made me laugh - if this is the worst film you've ever seen then you've been luckier than me in your film choices

Saw this last night and quite enjoyed it. My favourite is the 1956 original and it wasn't a patch on that but still, I certainly wasn't bored and the running time seemed to pass pretty quick (maybe a little too quick in fact). Yes it was a bit clunky, and I think Daniel Craig was criminally underused. In fact I think it would have been a lot better had it been him and Kidman on the run rather than her and her son.

I also agree with the earlier point that it's an unfair criticism of the reviewer to slate the fact that the film implied that there could be some good from ending all war. It's a perfectly valid point, especially in this day and age, that with all the bad stuff humans are responsibile for - wars, terrorism, global warming - you can see the argument for taking away our free will. Obviously it doesn't make you side with the aliens but at least makes you question the cost of 'being human', and is a tad more intelligent than just saying the aliens are all evil and humans are all good.

Anyway, overall I thought it was entertaining if flawed and not as good as it could have been. Either way there are definitely much worse films out there.
Zzzzzzzzzz
Obviously outside of seeing this film,i dont know why you dragged this up.
You can indulge yourself with all the revisionist bullshit price of being human nonsense you want.
Itīs utter garbage.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to brucejackiejet)
Post #: 28
RE: The Invasion.......oh dear - 10/8/2011 8:54:37 AM   
brucejackiejet

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: brucejackiejet

quote:

Zzzzzzzzzz
Obviously outside of seeing this film,i dont know why you dragged this up.
You can indulge yourself with all the revisionist bullshit price of being human nonsense you want.
Itīs utter garbage.

Um....dude the whole point of these forums is for people to say what they thought of the film. I've just seen the film, hence the 'reason I dragged it up'. It's my opinion and I don't think I was particularly offensive in the way I expressed it so would appreciate it if you kept your unintelligent insults to yourself. These forums are for open debate, you don't like it then you're welcome to go elsewhere as we don't need people like you ruining it for everyone else.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 29
RE: The Invasion.......oh dear - 10/8/2011 9:43:01 AM   
UTB

I quite enjoyed this, to be honest (the 1978 version is probably my favourite horror movie). It's a bit lacking in pace, certainly, but it takes the previous incarnations and adds a different riff on them.

Kidman is dull, but then she is in most things.

(in reply to brucejackiejet)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Invasion Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI