Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

ricky gervais one trick pony?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> ricky gervais one trick pony? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
[Poll]

ricky gervais one trick pony?

yes
  54% (41)
no
  30% (23)
undecided
  14% (11)

Total Votes : 75

(last vote on : 1/2/2009 11:32:20 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ricky gervais one trick pony? - 4/10/2007 11:17:44 AM   
bob harris

do you think ricky gervais is the same in every role he has done or do you think hes got more range as a comedian,actor.

heeeeeeeeeeres johnnie!!
Post #: 1
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 4/10/2007 11:32:01 AM   
Biggus

There is definite similarity in his roles but I think he's finding his feet at the moment. Don't forget how Jim Carrey played a lot of the same old schtick in his earlier films. There has been some great dramatic acting from Gervais in The Office, notably when Brent tries to persuade his superiors not to make him redundant.

I think he's got a lot of potential.

< Message edited by Biggus -- 21/11/2007 11:28:22 AM >

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to bob harris)
Post #: 2
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 4/10/2007 11:42:55 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

He hasn't really had the opportunity to spread his wings - it's very difficult for a comedian to become a versatile actor - Hollywood doesn't seem to like it too much.

However, his performance as a villain in the TV series Alias was very much believable. As Biggus said, Gervais has potential.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 3
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 4/10/2007 3:07:50 PM   
ElephantBoy

There's much more to him.,  i think he showed it a little  bit in Extras.  Although there are simlaties to the David Brent character in The Office, Andy is more homour and down on his luck in a way.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 4
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 20/11/2007 10:43:08 PM   
xmagic_dustx

I think he's the same in every role and an insufferable arsehole in real life.

"I've killed a Hell of a lot of people to get to this point."

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 5
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 21/11/2007 3:15:44 AM   
Art Vandelay

You've met him?

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to xmagic_dustx)
Post #: 6
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 21/11/2007 7:17:55 AM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Like Jess said, he was excellent in Alias... so yes, he has more range than you'd think.... he has more movies in the offing so who knows...

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 7
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 23/11/2007 2:47:25 PM   
Al Swearengen

he may be one trick, but it's a funny trick :)

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 8
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 24/11/2007 8:16:27 PM   
doncopey1

Sensational in the Office but this one trick pony does not belong in cinema.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to Al Swearengen)
Post #: 9
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 24/11/2007 8:44:26 PM   
KnightofZyryab

One trick pony. Limited to his irritating schtick, a novelty that has long since worn itself out and without any real competent acting ability.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 10
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 24/11/2007 11:09:35 PM   
Castor Troy

I thought he showed great dramatic acting in The Office on various occasions. Not so much in Extras because he was playing himself more than a character really. I haven't been impressed by his film roles which I admit have been pretty samey. I'll look forward to more dramatic acting from him.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 11
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 19/8/2008 5:52:12 PM   
Mason Verger

His best work.

YouTube - ricky gervais 80s band seona dancing

< Message edited by Mason Verger -- 27/10/2008 6:53:13 PM >

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 12
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 19/8/2008 6:00:04 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: xmagic_dustx

I think he's the same in every role and an insufferable arsehole in real life.

You know him?

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to xmagic_dustx)
Post #: 13
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 19/8/2008 6:49:51 PM   
kingalan

There are certin 'Gervias-isms' in everything he does (including his stand-up) but I don't know how anyone could think Brent and Millman are the same. The former is an irritating but ultimately vulnerable loser who thinks he's funny and Millman is a sarcastic, streetwise everyman character (more like Tim than Brent if anything). It's lazy criticism if you ask me.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 14
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 19/8/2008 9:05:57 PM   
sanchia

The main problem with Gervais is his tendancy to act the role of the smug and arrogant individual a bit too much and for too long.  An example of this is the way he did the whole "look at me.  I'm big in America! I'm rich and famous and hanging around with film stars and you're not!" thing he had going for a few years.  I recognise this as being an act but he really should have evolved beyond this a long long time ago.  This whole act does look like it is the primary reason a lot of people have turned against him (I include myself as I can no longer even watch anything which he is in unless his part can be fast forwarded past rapidly).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 15
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 19/8/2008 9:14:35 PM   
kingalan

It's obvious he does that whole mock arrogance schtick as a way to deflect the fact that his huge success embarrasses him. He's said as much in interviews.

I think a lot of Brits have turned against him simply because there is a tendency amongst people to take someone down a peg or two if they feel they've become "too big for their boots" so to speak. Especially fellow Britons - regardless of whether or not they deserved their success.

Personally I think the man's an absolute genius and his achievements across the pond - not to mention deepest respect from legends such as Matt Groening, Christopher Guest, Larry David et al - is something to be proud of.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 16
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 19/8/2008 9:32:32 PM   
darth silas

One trick pony.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 17
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 19/8/2008 9:49:07 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

It's obvious he does that whole mock arrogance schtick as a way to deflect the fact that his huge success embarrasses him. He's said as much in interviews.

I think a lot of Brits have turned against him simply because there is a tendency amongst people to take someone down a peg or two if they feel they've become "too big for their boots" so to speak. Especially fellow Britons - regardless of whether or not they deserved their success.

Personally I think the man's an absolute genius and his achievements across the pond - not to mention deepest respect from legends such as Matt Groening, Christopher Guest, Larry David et al - is something to be proud of.

That may well have been but at the same time it became distasteful after the seventh or eighth time he used it with the same wording and the same belittling of those who had supported him.  In reality he may be a lovely bloke but the public persona was this unpleasant individual and the public persona was what people saw and may have difficulty differentiating from reality.  He may have later explained it away as being a defense mechanism but sadly by that time most of the damage was done and most of those who been turned away from him by this act would have been avoiding the interviews anyway so would not see this explaination.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 18
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 19/8/2008 10:06:56 PM   
kingalan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

That may well have been but at the same time it became distasteful after the seventh or eighth time he used it with the same wording and the same belittling of those who had supported him.  In reality he may be a lovely bloke but the public persona was this unpleasant individual and the public persona was what people saw and may have difficulty differentiating from reality.  He may have later explained it away as being a defense mechanism but sadly by that time most of the damage was done and most of those who been turned away from him by this act would have been avoiding the interviews anyway so would not see this explaination.

I suppose, but all I can say is 'their loss'. They've missed the point and in turn, missed out.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 19
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 19/8/2008 10:47:22 PM   
BobaJango

quote:

If they have that difficulty then i can't imagine those people are very bright.
For my part i love the guy. I've listened to loads of his podcasts and Xfm stuff and it never fails to crack me up. I sometimes forget he's actually better known for his tv work!

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 20
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 20/8/2008 9:55:02 PM   
sanchia

But the public persona is the one which is being pushed and you can grow to dislike that persona and hence the figure who is being represented by that persona without any challenge to their intellectual capacity.  As I said above in real life maybe he is a lovely chap but we do not sit around his living room watching him in real life (unless you have severe stalking tendencies )  hence by representing himself as being a dickhead in pretty much all his public appearances for over a year people will start to see him as that dickhead and start to avoid him.  It is not that big a step to comprehend.  I personally do not find him that appealing a figure due to the fact that the persona he represented as being his in public for so long was the arrogant dickhead hence although I am aware that he may not be this figure in reality I am expecting it to be the persona I will see on his public appearances (whether on a conscious or unconscious level) and as such avoid his appearances because I do not wish to see that character.  By utilising this character for so long he has basically conditioned me to not like him.  In the same manner an actor who in reality is a nasty individual can gain support by acting as a nice person in public but behind closed doors kicks puppies for fun.

With regards to the podcast Karl Pilkington was the real star there with Gervais reduced to a more welcome supporting role.  I think he is better in an ensemble cast whereby the focus does not have to be completely on him.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 21
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 20/8/2008 11:58:02 PM   
Bezerker

I don't want to write the man off before he really gets the chance to do something different, which he really hasn't had so far. I am an enormous fan of The Office, and his XFM radio shows with Steve Merchant and Karl Pilkington remain some of the funniest hours of any media of all time in my book. What IS starting to annoy me about Gervais is his CONSTANT mentioning of Karl in EXACTLY the same way. I saw him on Richard and Judy last night (before The Simpsons, honest) and he made the exact same joke about how "Karl's an idiot but he won't mind me saying this - he won't fully understand it". I've heard him say those or almost exactly those words at least 3 times before and he needs to stop doing it, it is unbearable. The podcasts towards the end also just became embarrasing, as they were far too planned. As those who have heard them will know, the beauty of the early XFM shows was that there were 3 funny friends in a room together with barely any structure to their show, making fun of each other like friends do, and they were and still are an absolute joy to listen to. Now though, Gervais just seems to embarras himself - for example, the Diana memorial concert, which was just torture to watch. He needs to really think about the direction he's headed and find some juicy projects for himself to really get into - I just don't get the feeling he was as into Night at the Museum as he was with The Office.

Adjourn your asses

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 22
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 22/8/2008 2:57:30 AM   
Swoz_MK

quote:

The main problem with Gervais is his tendancy to act the role of the smug and arrogant individual a bit too much and for too long.  An example of this is the way he did the whole "look at me.  I'm big in America! I'm rich and famous and hanging around with film stars and you're not!" thing he had going for a few years.  I recognise this as being an act but he really should have evolved beyond this a long long time ago.  This whole act does look like it is the primary reason a lot of people have turned against him (I include myself as I can no longer even watch anything which he is in unless his part can be fast forwarded past rapidly).

I'm in absolute 100% agreement

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 23
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 22/8/2008 11:55:28 PM   
maffew

i don't like his cameos in big hollywood films, but i think his writing and sense of timing is flawless. did anyone see the extras christmas special? that confession when he goes on big brother brought a tear to my eye http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffY73nkdrmM

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Swoz_MK)
Post #: 24
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 23/8/2008 2:02:55 PM   
Jar Jar Gabor

I think he can be somewhat hypocritical (moaning about comedians doing cameos and then doing them himself; complaining about sitcoms that go on for too long and then fawning over The Simpsons, etc. ) and I can understand how his schtick might get annoying after a while but all the things he's really been passionate about have turned out great. I can forgive him his minor character flaws if only for introducing me to the baldy round-headed chimp that is Karl Pilkington. 

I don't know how anyone could watch the following and not laugh; he's one of the few performers who can make a simple glance hysterical...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN41XutK61Y

"My mother did throw me against a brick wall when I was an infant. I didn't get hurt at all. I've mentioned it to her a couple of times. She said I was a little prick."

DVD's wot I own.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 25
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 23/8/2008 3:03:23 PM   
Wessing

hes the same, cringe-forcong, arkward, and annoying little git in every role he plays, but its still fun to watch him crucify himself in every role he plays, cos he does it so well

Thank your mother for pointing that out

(in reply to Jar Jar Gabor)
Post #: 26
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 25/8/2008 2:22:51 PM   
kingalan

quote:

But the public persona is the one which is being pushed and you can grow to dislike that persona and hence the figure who is being represented by that persona without any challenge to their intellectual capacity.  As I said above in real life maybe he is a lovely chap but we do not sit around his living room watching him in real life (unless you have severe stalking tendencies )  hence by representing himself as being a dickhead in pretty much all his public appearances for over a year people will start to see him as that dickhead and start to avoid him.  It is not that big a step to comprehend.  I personally do not find him that appealing a figure due to the fact that the persona he represented as being his in public for so long was the arrogant dickhead hence although I am aware that he may not be this figure in reality I am expecting it to be the persona I will see on his public appearances (whether on a conscious or unconscious level) and as such avoid his appearances because I do not wish to see that character.  By utilising this character for so long he has basically conditioned me to not like him.  In the same manner an actor who in reality is a nasty individual can gain support by acting as a nice person in public but behind closed doors kicks puppies for fun.

With regards to the podcast Karl Pilkington was the real star there with Gervais reduced to a more welcome supporting role.  I think he is better in an ensemble cast whereby the focus does not have to be completely on him.

I still think it someone would have to be mildly dim to associate an obvious act with reality, no matter how long or how relentlessly Gervais has done it.

That said though, it's a little unfair to even say that about him as I've seen plenty of interviews in which this 'persona' is abandoned and he speaks forthrightly and passionately about his work and influences. The act isn't shoved down our throats in every single public appearance he makes; he actually comes across as an intelligent and likeable fella in plenty of them.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 25/8/2008 3:16:17 PM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

I still think it someone would have to be mildly dim to associate an obvious act with reality, no matter how long or how relentlessly Gervais has done it.

That said though, it's a little unfair to even say that about him as I've seen plenty of interviews in which this 'persona' is abandoned and he speaks forthrightly and passionately about his work and influences. The act isn't shoved down our throats in every single public appearance he makes; he actually comes across as an intelligent and likeable fella in plenty of them.

Quite an insulting comment there and you seem to be avoiding or misunderstanding what I am saying.  He had for a long time fermented this image of being the jumped up and arrogant individual.  Many people are aware of this image being an act but for an excessive amount of time this was what you got every single time he made an appearance.  You did not get the nice chap interviews, you did not get the way he may well be outside of this persona, you got this arrogant image.  He may be nice he may be pleasant but that was not the image anyone other than those actually close to him got to see. They got to see the arrogant persona and hence this is very understandably what they grew to expect to see when they saw that there was going to be an interview or such with Gervais.  Hence very understandably they may well avoid these interviews because they do not like the persona which he had utilised for such a long time and would justifiably believe may well be dragged out again.  He may well have moved on from this persona now but it may be too late for a lot of people in that their expectation of him is to once again wheel out the arrogant chap person which he used for such a long time in almost every award show and interview he was in.  If an individual portrays themselves for a long enough time in one way they may well alter it but by that time the damage may well be done and people have turned away from that figure and may well no longer be watching the interviews etc to see that he has changed this act.  There is nothing dim or stupid about it it is human psychology, if you see something you dislike you will avoid it.  If however he had kept up the arrogant act for a couple of times and then started to reveal that he was not this way the damage may have been reversed in that the expectaion that he will once again be this figure may not have become ingrained and associated with him. 

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 28
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 25/8/2008 11:17:56 PM   
kingalan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Quite an insulting comment there and you seem to be avoiding or misunderstanding what I am saying.  He had for a long time fermented this image of being the jumped up and arrogant individual.  Many people are aware of this image being an act but for an excessive amount of time this was what you got every single time he made an appearance.  You did not get the nice chap interviews, you did not get the way he may well be outside of this persona, you got this arrogant image.  He may be nice he may be pleasant but that was not the image anyone other than those actually close to him got to see. They got to see the arrogant persona and hence this is very understandably what they grew to expect to see when they saw that there was going to be an interview or such with Gervais.  Hence very understandably they may well avoid these interviews because they do not like the persona which he had utilised for such a long time and would justifiably believe may well be dragged out again.  He may well have moved on from this persona now but it may be too late for a lot of people in that their expectation of him is to once again wheel out the arrogant chap person which he used for such a long time in almost every award show and interview he was in.  If an individual portrays themselves for a long enough time in one way they may well alter it but by that time the damage may well be done and people have turned away from that figure and may well no longer be watching the interviews etc to see that he has changed this act.  There is nothing dim or stupid about it it is human psychology, if you see something you dislike you will avoid it.  If however he had kept up the arrogant act for a couple of times and then started to reveal that he was not this way the damage may have been reversed in that the expectaion that he will once again be this figure may not have become ingrained and associated with him. 

Lighten up... he's a comedian.  He's playing with his image and is very funny in doing so. You're either saying that people saw him put on this act too many times and started associating it with the actual Ricky Gervais OR that these people (who exactly? I don't know but for the sake of argument we'll say 'they') knew it was an act but began tiring of the act itself. If it's the former I'd say they've missed the point entirely and have either not seen enough of Gervais's stuff or are genuinely not intelligent enough to understand a routine. More fool them. If it's the latter then that's a matter of personal opinion (what one finds funny or not) and so there's not real legitimate argument for it. One man's funny is another man's unfunny. I wasn't being insulting- just stating an opinion. To say something like "it's not that a big a step to comprehend" is just as insulting surely?

Secondly though, as I said earlier it's untrue to say he portrayed this persona in "almost every award show and interview he was in". Indeed, one of his first public appearances after The Office broke was on Room 101 back in early 2002...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q-yKAyVITXw

Surely you'll agree he's hardly "arrogant", a "dickhead" or anything of the sort. He comes across as a genuinely likeable person and this is just one of many appearances in which I've seen him act humble, self-deprecating and intelligent. The old 'arrogance' thing has become a stale and lazy argument against Gervais.

< Message edited by kingalan -- 25/8/2008 11:19:15 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 29
RE: ricky gervais one trick pony? - 27/8/2008 3:56:46 AM   
rawlinson

I don't really care about his arrogant persona, but I think he really needs someone to tell him when something doesn't work. Take Extras for an example, Gervais makes his contempt for formulaic sitcoms clear with his 'When The Whistle Blows' parody, so why is Extras so inept in so many ways? It obviously aspires to be The Larry Sanders Show. But Shandling and his writers understood that their guest stars needed to be more than a one-dimensional cameo. 

Extras seems to consist of 'get a big celeb in so they can act like a prick for ten minutes'. How often do they actually do something interesting with the actors in that show, like create a character for them? Ross Kemp springs to mind, but that's about it. Ben Stiller, Kate Winslet, Patrick Stewart, Orlando Bloom, David Bowie, Daniel Radcliffe, Stephen Fry, Robert Lindsay, Clive Owen... all wasted because of the unrealistic writing. Does anyone really believe that Kate Winslet would start ranting to a couple of extras about how she hasn't won an Oscar? Or Daniel Radcliffe would carry a condom around and show it to people to prove he has sex? The way the guest stars are handled is on the level of the type of show that Gervais mocks.

It's not even that the actors portray themselves as pricks. It's that it's so badly handled. Compare the writing for any guest star in Extras to any guest star in Larry Sanders and the difference in quality is incredible. Compare  Bruno Kirby and Jeffrey Tambor arguing over The Godfather films to... well, absolutely anything in Extras. Shandling and his writers understood celebrities and egotism, Gervais just wants everyone to go as over the top as possible. As such, it's an incredibly safe way for a celebrity to show they have a sense of humour. They can play themselves as wankers, safe in the knowledge that the writing is so extreme than no-one would ever mistake them for the fictional version of them in the show.

That shouldn't actually matter, and it wouldn't if Gervais didn't set up the show within a show as the embodiment of everything he hates in comedy. You can't attack other comedians for being lazy while writing a show that's every bit as lazy. Take the Baftas episode for the extreme example.

Problem 1: When The Whistle Blows is hated  by critics. So how did it manage a Bafta nomination in the first place?

Problem 2: The first series is still filming while it's being aired. Incredibly unrealistic for a sitcom and Gervais knows it. It's bad enough when that goes unacknowledged in the show as a whole. But in the Bafta episode, the show gets nominated for a Bafta while still in the middle of being made/shown. Something that is pretty much impossible.

Problem 3: The homophobia in the Stephen Fry scene. Gervais has said in interviews that Millman isn't a jerk, in fact he's supposed to be an 'everyman' character who just happens to have things go wrong for him. If that's the case, how are we supposed to accept the lazy homophobic comment about Oscar Wilde in that scene? If Gervais thinks that Millman is an everyman, does that mean he thinks that homophobia is acceptable? This goes to an even greater extreme in the Ian McKellan episode, an episode where the lazy writing is every bit as evident as the Bafta episode.

Problem 4: The scene where Gervais, Merchant and Ronnie Corbett are busted by Bafta staff for using drugs. Does anyone really believe that something like that could happen?

None of these things would be problems if the show was an old-fashioned over the top sitcom, but for the type of show that Gervais wants Extras to be it's shockingly lazy writing. The thing is, the idea for Extras is good, and some of the stuff in it works. But there was only 2 series and a Christmas special. The quality of the writing should not be that varied for a show that run for so few episodes.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> ricky gervais one trick pony? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI