Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Ratatouille

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Ratatouille Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ratatouille - 13/10/2007 5:56:28 PM   
lympo

tis not crap!i really enjoyed it!people expect it to be funny,but you can even tell its more serious then the other films.

If you read this,you are stupid.

(in reply to BenClay2005)
Post #: 31
- 13/10/2007 8:05:36 PM   
willchadwick

Absolutely god damn right EMPIRE. It is an amazing picture and enormous fun to watch, when you leave the cinema you feel something special you've witnessed a masterpiece. It looks stunning the settings are beautiful and the characters are so deeply interesting not to mention hilarious (Anton Ego). You do get a warm fuzzy feeling when leaving the cinema screen and that is a feeling of absolute pleasure.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: - 13/10/2007 8:24:42 PM   
curtain twitcher

It's ok, but i would give it five stars. Benclay i can understand you, it wasn't that funny (i didn't personally go ad see it for that), Peter O' Toole was the best character alongside Ian Holm's and Brian Dennehy's, but i think that's a wee bit harsh to say it's crap, i wouldn't got that far, it doesn't come close to deserving five stars but undoubtedly a deserving four for trying extremely hard. I thought it was overall quite enjoyable, but i still left feeling slightly underwhelmed for some reason.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

(in reply to willchadwick)
Post #: 33
RE: RE: - 13/10/2007 10:36:42 PM   
James2183

Other than being a bit flat in the middle the film was another top notch outing from Pixar. The third act was brilliant and had me and the rest of the cinema in stitches. Add to this a great little short film before the feature and it was a brilliant cinema outing. The only real downside being the annoying kids next to me who didn't stay quiet.

It is certainly not there best film, but considering their previous films are so good that is not a bad thing.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to curtain twitcher)
Post #: 34
RE: Ratatouille - 13/10/2007 11:13:47 PM   
benskelly

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenClay2005

Once again - Empire with its snout up the pixar rectum snorting for truffles!

Ratatouille is crap! Seriously - I took my kid and her buddies to see it today - they got bored. Now she loved the considerably better Flushed Away - who wouldn't - it had more rounded interesting characterisation, great jokes, a nippy pace (essential for a KIDS FILM!) and beat this pile of glossy rubbish hands down.

Cars was bad - this was awful. We all got bored - kids and adults alike. The cinema was full, hardly laughed and left underwhelmed.

Sorry Brad Bird - your best work remains The Iron Giant

Flushed Away??  Really??  Is better???

< Message edited by benskelly -- 14/10/2007 12:01:13 AM >

Post #: 35
RE: Ratatouille - 13/10/2007 11:32:07 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Now she loved the considerably better Flushed Away - who wouldn't - .

Sorry but you lost any credibility right there.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 36
Empire rating wrong again - 14/10/2007 9:40:23 AM   
duncansby

This is an okay movie - although the animation is suberb the story is a bit boring in parts and lacking in any of the laughs we've come to enjoy in Pixar movies. I would certainly rate it as a very weak Pixar movie. The 5 star Empire rating is a complete mystery, but then their star ratings have been bizarre this year.

Post #: 37
Empire rating wrong again - 14/10/2007 9:41:47 AM   
duncansby

This is an okay movie - although the animation is suberb the story is a bit boring in parts and lacking in any of the laughs we've come to enjoy in Pixar movies. I would certainly rate it as a very weak Pixar movie. The 5 star Empire rating is a complete mystery, but then their star ratings have been bizarre this year.

Post #: 38
a good film - 14/10/2007 3:59:51 PM   
BlueDragon21120

Its good not great, but I dont think its entierly a kids film. Pixar should really decide if they want to make a film for young adults or children because this movie is stuck somewher einbetween. I enjoyed it. I knew that the children in the audience enjoyed its more exciting parts as they wer elaughing so loudly. But I still feel its aimed to directly at and audience who want a specific thing from Pixar, and that its only just in the catagory of kids/family films.

Great animation, good story, but a little perplexing

Post #: 39
RE: a good film - 14/10/2007 5:18:46 PM   
shawshank prisoner

the best film of the year so far, with Atonement and Supedbad following behind. not quite as good as either Toy Story but arguablly the best animation of the 21st century.

(in reply to BlueDragon21120)
Post #: 40
RE: a good film - 14/10/2007 5:20:21 PM   
shawshank prisoner

plus, the most beautiful animation visuals of all time

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 41
- 14/10/2007 5:43:41 PM   
stravers

Just an astonishingly good movie. The pay off with the critic was genuinely moving and thought provoking. It just looks gorgeous and the action is a blast. One of only two or three movies that I have seen at the cinema this year that I would want to own on DVD.

Post #: 42
- 14/10/2007 5:43:42 PM   
stravers

Just an astonishingly good movie. The pay off with the critic was genuinely moving and thought provoking. It just looks gorgeous and the action is a blast. One of only two or three movies that I have seen at the cinema this year that I would want to own on DVD.

Post #: 43
Rat-a-too-ee - 14/10/2007 8:37:28 PM   
moviemaniac2

Inundated with animation lately, it takes something special for one to stand out from all the rest; having Brad Bird calling the shots is definitely one way to go about it. Bird is responsible for The Iron Giant and The Incredibles, and although Ratatouille doesn't have the heartbreaking ending of the former or the post-modern gags of the latter, it's still one of the best animation films around. This is because Bird is not just an excellent animator, he's an excellent filmmaker. Aimed more squarely at kids than Brad's previous ventures, Ratatouille can still be enjoyed by the old and young alike.

Post #: 44
RE: Ratatouille - 14/10/2007 11:23:47 PM   
eoin81

vonOfterdingen got it right. it was tiresome. A chef with a rat inside his tee shirt? hilarious? Come on. this is from the people who did that amazing road crossing sequence in Toy Story 2, the amazing monster attack in the depths of the ocean in Finding Nemo. Ratatouille did not give me 'joy' as the empire review said it would, rather it gave me the feeling that i should have just put on nemo or the incredibles at home. there was nothing new, a load of talk about food (yawn) and then the problem of more than one baddie (didn't empire criticize spiderman 3 for this problem?)

I get the sneaking suspicion that empire gives films like this good reviews so as to secure 'exclusives' when the team behind the film begins work on another. For example the sinkeningly gushing review of Knocked UP. Note how these great reviews are coupled with a 'geez, these guys are all amazing' report from the film set. For God sake empire, will you try to find your dignity again.

Post #: 45
RE: Ratatouille - 14/10/2007 11:26:25 PM   
eoin81

also, i think it is redundant to argue the merits of the film on its visuals. they are stunning. but its pixar who always harp on about how they want story first, visuals second. And the story and characters in this film are just plain boring.

(in reply to eoin81)
Post #: 46
RE: Ratatouille - 15/10/2007 12:25:56 AM   
capcon

quote from empire that feeling u leave after watching this film.....JOY. is spot on.....cause that how i felt.....i enjoyed it as did the kids ........best film of the yr.......no,,,,, thats the dark knight........no wait thats next yr......but i hope to have the same feeling as i did with batman begins and ratatouillle..........because that what the cinema is all about......thats y we all go there is it not???????????//

(in reply to eoin81)
Post #: 47
A work of art - 15/10/2007 8:07:46 AM   
fenlow

I totally agree with the Empire review. This film ticks so many boxes it should be rated in the top ten animations of all time. Sure, for younger children, such as my son who's almost 5, there were times that it was a little slow, but he still enjoyed it. If I had to guess a supposed age for viewers of this film then I would have to go somewhere around 8 or 9 years. Although, in my opinion there was just about something for everyone. The quality of the CGI is absolutely astounding, giving you the same feeling as the first time you saw a dinosaur in Jurassic Park. I thought they pitched the cutesie feel at just the right level (not sickly sweet, like a good portion of disney films) and there was something for everyone in this film. Does a film have to be aimed at a particular demographic? I don't think so. This is a definite purchase when it comes out on DVD although I'm not sure you can do the visuals justice unless you've got a HD setup with a projector. Even the little "lifted" film at the start was fantastic. My son was almost rolling around in his seat, he was laughing so hard.

Post #: 48
Almost perfect - 15/10/2007 11:43:47 AM   
samurai.jen

Sas't interested in seeing it, but glad I did, it really is a lovely film. Actually felt my eyes welling up with happiness at the end, and usually I only cry tears of acid on my enemies.

Post #: 49
- 15/10/2007 12:57:28 PM   
dunkah

just amazing

Post #: 50
Yawnatouille - 15/10/2007 1:37:35 PM   
bryanbotsareli

Don't get me wrong this film is a joy to watch on the big screen, its looks excellent, the animaition a detail is just sublime, but story wise its a let down, you just don't care about the main human characters (the other chef's /cooks seemed far more interesting, Don't take the kids ! It'll go way over their heads.

Post #: 51
RE: Ratatouillehttp://www.empireonline.com/forum/micons... - 15/10/2007 7:34:32 PM   
johnmcclane

best film ive seen this year
and how realistic did that food look yummy

and so funny luv pixar

I wouldn't have made a good ninja anyway

Post #: 52
- 15/10/2007 9:14:17 PM   
gerardj

The relative dissapointment of Cars (although it was still great fun) can be merely now be seen as a blip because Pixar, with Ratatouille, have proven that they are back to their best form. Everything about Ratatouille is trademark Pixar: he wonderful, lush, exciting animation, the great voice acting, brillaint slapstick and a great, human story at its core. In terms of sheer inventiveness, Ratatouille is arguably Pixar's finest hour. Watching Linguini, through the manipulation by Remy the rat, scamper around the kitchen, dashing from dish to dish, all to the tugs and yanks of his hair by Remy sitting under his touque, is wondeful stuff. The frantic chases through the streets of Paris are typical Pixar, filled with brilliant set-pieces. In terms of story, Ratatouille may not match, say, Toy Story 1 & 2, but when you watch the film that couldn't be further from your mind. Just sit back and allowed to be wowed by master animators at work. Brad Bird (whose previously two films, The Iron Giant and The Incredibles rank among my favourite animation films) has crafted another excellent tale, and also taking a risk, because Ratatouille risks alientating younger audiences with its sometimes more mature subject matter. While that may be a bad thing in terms of box-office receipts, you wont find me complaning.
Perhaps one of the things I most enjoyed about Ratatouille was that it's a film to make you love the rat. They may be disgusting, vile creatures in real life, but such is Pixar's power that you momentarily forget and would almost welcome the sight of a rat as you depart the cinema. All these elements combine to make one of Pixar's best films, a visual treat that will leave you bouncing out with happiness.

Post #: 53
RE: - 15/10/2007 11:41:27 PM   
BenClay2005

I have plenty of credibility Farty Bob Pants!

And I'll thank you to re-read my post which clearly states that it was my daughter who preferred Flushed Away. Not me.

However, I did too!. Better characters, script - funnier gags and a more even pace. Not overlong, boring and attempting to overcome it's flaws with a polished Pixar sheen. Remember, this movie did have one or two production probs before Brad Bird Rescued it.

Don't get all cross-patch with someone merely for expressing an opinion. Disagree nicely. Or I'll be forced to pay you a visit and dip you upside down in a vat of cold custard.

Bottom spanked, now run along and stay out of mishchief!

"Fear can hold you prisoner - hope can set you free"

(in reply to gerardj)
Post #: 54
RE: RE: - 15/10/2007 11:43:15 PM   
BenClay2005

Mark Kermode agrees with me. So I must be right. Poopy Nana to ya!

"Fear can hold you prisoner - hope can set you free"

Post #: 55
RE: RE: - 15/10/2007 11:54:20 PM   
The Mighty

Fantastic. 5/5

Post #: 56
RE: RE: - 16/10/2007 1:08:39 AM   
benskelly

quote:

I have plenty of credibility Farty Bob Pants!

And I'll thank you to re-read my post which clearly states that it was my daughter who preferred Flushed Away. Not me.

However, I did too!. Better characters, script - funnier gags and a more even pace. Not overlong, boring and attempting to overcome it's flaws with a polished Pixar sheen. Remember, this movie did have one or two production probs before Brad Bird Rescued it.

Don't get all cross-patch with someone merely for expressing an opinion. Disagree nicely. Or I'll be forced to pay you a visit and dip you upside down in a vat of cold custard.

Bottom spanked, now run along and stay out of mishchief!

We can't help you, Ben.

Or as Remy would say: Your taste is in your mouth.

I mean that in the nicest way... 

Sincerely,
Ben

Post #: 57
RE: RE: - 16/10/2007 11:58:32 AM   
RJNeb2

Well, thank God, I'm not the only one who came out of this thinking "5 stars? Surely there's been some mistake?" 4 stars, yes, I get that, but not 5. It felt positively sluggish in places and I really felt that the screenplay could have been trimmed considerably. And where were the jokes? One thing I remember about The Incredibles was that it was bust-a-gut funny. Any film that can come up with Edna Mode is in a win-win situation.

But, caveats aside, much of the film is just gorgeous. The visuals are amazing and Pixar's attention to detail is just shy of miraculous. Plus it managed the unprecedented feat of (a) making us care about a rat - blech! and (b) not minding too much the concept of a rat cooking. Though they were pushing it a bit at the end with the entire kitchen being run by rats. Still, there's no question that Pixar is the most imaginative studio in town and they really care about their product.

And I definitely preferred it over The Simpsons Movie.

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 58
RE: RE: - 16/10/2007 9:01:31 PM   
mackey

Brilliant animation and some great set pieces but certainly not the masterpiece it's being hailed as.  I just didn't think it was funny enough and the characters just weren't all that engaging.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to RJNeb2)
Post #: 59
RE: Ratatouille - 17/10/2007 2:46:01 PM   
dougtherugg

I wasnt all that impressed.  also had to leave before the end to take part in a somewhat ironic and unpleasant activity.  taking my pet rat to the vet :(

Respect the cock and tame the cunt!!

Workshed!!!

Spartans! Enjoy your breakfast, for tonight we dine in Hell!

Tina, you fat lard, come get some DINNER!... Tina, eat. Food. Eat the FOOD!

now thats a woman, thats a house, thats a fish , THATS A BEE

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Ratatouille Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI