Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Black Sheep

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Black Sheep Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Black Sheep - 30/9/2007 11:19:53 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
muddled but funny - 30/9/2007 11:19:53 PM   
Those_wedontspeak_of

yeah saw this in NZ back in March. it's going to be your favourite film if you're a kiwi farmer becasue of all the in-jokes, but it's pretty uneven and veers all over the place between horror and comedy.Plus some of the dialogue is sooooooo groanworthy and the actings not much better in places!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: muddled but funny - 1/10/2007 12:11:52 PM   
DazDaMan

I've been wanting to see this for a while - the thought of killer man-eating sheep is just too amusing a concept to miss!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Those_wedontspeak_of)
Post #: 3
RE: muddled but funny - 3/10/2007 12:37:45 PM   
CORLEONE

This got 1 star in Total Film and 4 stars in Empire! Can't remember such a disagreement between the two for a long time...

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 4
RE: muddled but funny - 3/10/2007 1:18:46 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Dunno about Total Film but Kim Newman knows his horror.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 5
RE: muddled but funny - 3/10/2007 2:26:58 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

This got 1 star in Total Film and 4 stars in Empire! Can't remember such a disagreement between the two for a long time...

Total Film 4'd Hostel 2 which based on that review if the best horror film of this year.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 6
- 8/10/2007 6:34:23 PM   
plum bob

Must admit i am looking forward to seeing this on sunday, should give me what i think it will, 2hrs of stupid over the top comedy with a few laughs... what more do u want from a film about sheep eating people.

Post #: 7
RE: - 9/10/2007 12:20:06 AM   
Topher182

this film looks like the biggest piss take ever! is it actually a serious film or what?

If I Had My Own World...I'd Build An Empire

(in reply to plum bob)
Post #: 8
RE: RE: - 10/10/2007 6:51:05 PM   
Ghidorah

Black Sheep is a new twist to the on going saga of Zombie films being release. The film about one man fights to get the farm off his crazy brother and return it to the old ways. However with all these test on sheeps, a virus got release and sheeps start effecting each other and turn humans into sheep.

With the success of Shaun of the Dead I was hoping for big things flick. Sadly the film isn't great. The sheep in this film were unbelievable in their performance and the fake sheep were even worst. It felt like I was watching out takes.

The film does has some funny bits but sadly they are too sparsh and too few.

1 out of 5.

If you are going to see this film, don't expect Brain Dead or Shaun of the Dead.

(in reply to Topher182)
Post #: 9
RE: Black Sheep - 13/10/2007 12:05:59 AM   
BenClay2005

What utter crap!

This has to be the worst film of the year so far. Terrible acting, a totally rubbish script and such a mess in the last half hour, I nearly fell asleep.

Horror? Terror? Suspense? I don't think so! I was just bored.

Avoid this steaming turd. Total Film (reviews you can trust?) You can now!

What the ***k Empire thought they were doing giving this bollocks 4 stars - we'll never know. Probably the biggest mistake in their reviewing history.

Who did review it? Kim Newman?  A man so flooded with shit movies, that when he finally sees one which somehow "merits" a cinema release he mistakes it for high art?

DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED!!!

So, I'm off to see Ratatouille with my daughter tomorrow! Hope Empire got that one right!

"Fear can hold you prisoner - hope can set you free"

Post #: 10
RE: Black Sheep - 13/10/2007 8:27:37 PM   
curtain twitcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenClay2005

What utter crap!

This has to be the worst film of the year so far. Terrible acting, a totally rubbish script and such a mess in the last half hour, I nearly fell asleep.

What the ***k Empire thought they were doing giving this bollocks 4 stars - we'll never know. Probably the biggest mistake in their reviewing history.

Who did review it? Kim Newman? A man so flooded with shit movies, that when he finally sees one which somehow "merits" a cinema release he mistakes it for high art?

So, I'm off to see Ratatouille with my daughter tomorrow! Hope Empire got that one right!

They have one very week, just another one to throw into the huge pile of reviews they admittedly 'got wrong' (positives or negatives, it doesn't really matter).

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

(in reply to BenClay2005)
Post #: 11
RE: Black Sheep - 14/10/2007 7:46:25 PM   
skeletonjack

Comparisons with Bad Taste and Braindead are obvious yet inevitable here.
There's no getting away from it, Black Sheep is very much like Peter Jackson's early films, and that's no bad thing.
Whilst never reaching the heights of Jacksons splatter classics, Black Sheep is daft blood soaked fun. With tongue set firmly in cheek this is not to be taken as a serious horror film, something it certainly never pretends to be.
Know what to expect, leave your brain behind and enjoy. 3 Stars  

(in reply to curtain twitcher)
Post #: 12
too many stars - 14/10/2007 8:49:52 PM   
The_Tyranter

watched this off the back of the 4 star review and enjoyed it. is funny in parts and the sheep are top notch.. its a good film. but it not 4 star good.

Post #: 13
RE: too many stars - 15/10/2007 12:42:33 PM   
blackduck

I’d agree with most of what’s been said. It’s like Peter Jacksons early stuff but with better effects and worse directing. The few good lines are killed by poor delivery and while they have a lot of good ideas for scenes they haven’t a clue what to do inbetween the money shots. They really needed their version of Bruce Campbell to sell the movie. The movie is good for a giggle, but once the Zombie sheep joke wears thin the film has nothing else to offer. Three stars (at a push)  if you’re in the right frame of mind otherwise just watch the trailer.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to The_Tyranter)
Post #: 14
RE: too many stars - 15/10/2007 7:45:22 PM   
The_Tyranter

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

The movie is good for a giggle, but once the Zombie sheep joke wears thin the film has nothing else to offer. Three stars (at a push)  if you're in the right frame of mind otherwise just watch the trailer.

spot on blackduck

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 15
RE: Black Sheep - 15/10/2007 8:16:39 PM   
newbrunette

I saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it.  I, and a large section of the audience, laughed all the way through.  There is something intrinsically funny about merely the idea of killer sheep so seeing 'Weta' do such a superb job in bringing them to life makes seeing this film worthwhile.

While the acting is (purposefully) unsubtle, it fits perfectly with the feel of the film.  While I wasn't scared (though sometimes grossed out!) I really don't think I was meant to be - its a film played for laughs and in that respect it did the job for me.

Post #: 16
RE: Black Sheep - 15/10/2007 9:21:16 PM   
kenada_woo

With a stupidly funny premise of killer sheep terrorising a farming community, the film is ripe for insanely brainless, gory, and hyterical fun.

The outcome is a complete mis-fire.  Maybe its down to director Jonathan King's  piss poor comic timing but the whole thing just is not funny.  While a few chuckles are scattered throughout the film, they are few and far bewteen.  It also doesnt help with its lack of inventivness in the gore department, and somewhat lack of OTT gore to be honest, the film never really got going.

Characters range from silly (the hippie who turns into a sheep), where fun can be had, to just plain irritatingly bad (the philisophical hippie female lead, Experience) there is a lack of memorable or likeable characitures.

Overall, should be a OTT hoot of gore filled silliness.  What you get is a film that isnt particularly funny, OTT or silly.

**/*****

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to newbrunette)
Post #: 17
The best angry sheep movie you'll see all year! - 16/10/2007 8:51:21 PM   
Movie Mogul

Loved the mint-sauce-as-holy-water gag and the effects were surprisingly good. Basically it's The Day of the Dead with sheep instead of Zombies. Well worth seeing.

Post #: 18
RE: The best angry sheep movie you'll see all year! - 17/10/2007 10:41:46 AM   
Rinc

Crap. I can't hate it because of what it is but it's crap. The film got tiring in the second half as it ran out of ideas and the acting was some of the worst ever committed to film. I could've found better actors in the local post office. The sheep and gore were good and there was the odd funny moment but it's a film i'll try to never see again.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Movie Mogul)
Post #: 19
RE: The best angry sheep movie you'll see all year! - 17/10/2007 2:14:31 PM   
lympo

every cineworld i showing this film, appart from llandudno,the closest one to me.so annoyed!

If you read this,you are stupid.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 20
RE: The best angry sheep movie you'll see all year! - 17/10/2007 8:42:08 PM   
mackey

Terrible film, no wit or invention whatsoever.  4 stars?  Dear oh dear............

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to lympo)
Post #: 21
RE: The best angry sheep movie you'll see all year! - 17/10/2007 10:34:39 PM   
timomouse

There's a Poster in Murray's office in Flight of the Conchords which says: "New Zealand - Don't expect too much and you'll love it!"

It's not a horror movie. It's a comedy with a few horrific moments, but even then, they aren't that bad.

Some good lines, some brilliant effects and one of the most ridiculous bits of pyro ever. Let's face it, the vast majority of people going to see this are (like me) going to see it solely for the premise of genetically modified killing sheep. It's a brilliant but limited premise exploited to it's full, and for that it should be applauded because so many films get good premises/licences and waste them.

It's somewhere between 3 and 4 for me.

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 22
four stars!? - 17/10/2007 10:42:30 PM   
ianmic

i only went to see this cos of the empire review. what a lot of crap. badly directed and acted. And, worse than that, NOT FUNNY. Four stars! where do i go to cancel my subscription.

Post #: 23
i will never look at sheep the same way again; it's a g... - 17/10/2007 11:48:57 PM   
alili

I thought this film was ace. several people left the theatre less than half an hour into the film, but the obviously had no sense of humor or no idea what they had payed to see. in response to the other reviewers comments abotu how crap it was, you don't go to see films like that for quality story lines and acting. you see them for a laugh and a good night out.

the effects were pretty good, though i found myself shouting 'It's a puppet!' whenever there was just a sheep's head poking through a hole. and the mint sauce gag was pure genius. i also loved the references to other well known monster/horror movies i.e. American Werewolf and Alien.

i think the film worked perfectly and it sits right up there with other magnificent horror comedies such as severence and shaun of the dead. anyone who says it was crap obviously misunderstood empire's 4 star rating as meaning it was an intellectual and groundbreaking piece of cinema when what it really meant was that it was an entertaining cinema experience that is well worth watching.

Post #: 24
Spot on Empire. - 18/10/2007 6:04:58 PM   
m_gatto

This is one of the most entertaining films I have seen in ages, well worth its four star rating. If you enjoyed 'shaun of the dead' then you will love this, more gore and a brilliant mint sauce gag. I don't know what everyone is complaining about, clearly a lot of people are devoid of a sense of humour as this film is extremely funny.

Post #: 25
RE: Spot on Empire. - 19/10/2007 1:26:09 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Manages to be very funny and at points creepy, not scary at all really but it never would be would it?

Crap acting et al, but in such an entertaining way, a great piece of B-movie fun that is definetly more of what SoaP should have been like, so bad it's bloody brilliant!

3.5/5

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to m_gatto)
Post #: 26
RE: Black Sheep - 20/10/2007 10:56:31 AM   
adamdavidsmith

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenClay2005

What utter crap!

Who did review it? Kim Newman?  A man so flooded with shit movies, that when he finally sees one which somehow "merits" a cinema release he mistakes it for high art?

Totally agree man, what the hell were they thinking? The actors were boring and unexperienced, the story was a complete mess, I didn't laugh much just the odd smirk and by the end like 'BenClay2005' here, I felt why did I waste five quid on this piece of sheep shite.

This film is a one star film, trust me leave it well alone - four stars empire? Bollocks!

< Message edited by adamdavidsmith -- 20/10/2007 10:58:08 AM >

(in reply to BenClay2005)
Post #: 27
RE: Black Sheep - 20/10/2007 11:19:02 AM   
Mojo

I had a great time in the cinema. Those Kiwis sure know how to make a gory comedy splatter flick. The special effects were fantastic and it was funny all the way through. I can see why its gettinga lot of negative comments though, I just happen to love this kinda film.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to adamdavidsmith)
Post #: 28
RE: Black Sheep - 20/10/2007 11:36:22 PM   
losthighway

I gave up trying to get to the 9:40pm showing each night at my local cinema (only two showings per day and the other was whilst I was at work) - I was knackered after being at work all day, so I've bought the recently released R1 DVD instead, which includes some extras. Admittedly it's a blind buy but I figured for £10 off an Amazon marketseller I can't complain - plus, when you factor in petrol money to get to the cinema, ticket price (£6.30!!) and nibbles, it seemed the easier option. It's still on it's way in the post but I can wait...

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 29
RE: Black Sheep - 28/10/2007 5:37:04 PM   
temetnosce

This was a total waste of my time. What an absolute disaster of a movie, I think the only reason it was made is that it was NZ, Weta could have a bit of craic doing the effects and the idea was novel. It was soooo bad I was in terrible humour after seeing it. They clearly had a fair bit of money to make it however squandered it on the effects and left the script go undeveloped and allowed the guy who wrote it direct it which was a massive mistake. There were some very good locations picked but the acting was nothing short of atrocious, the dialogue totally appauling, the 'shock' totally devoid of any impact whatsoever. It was dragged out a bit aswell and just went all over the place and there really was only a 'back of a pack of fags' story attached to the whole thing. Slither was crappy enough but at least there was something to it despite being overlong....this was just a total waste of money. Characters have seldom been as inept at delivering 'clever' one-liners, but that't not entirely their fault i suppose seeing as many of the laugh moments were totally out of place or forced.

The screening I attended was in total silence for most of it, save for the odd 'EWWW' which was more for "that's just manky looking" instead of "oh God that's sick, i'm horrified"....the last moment of the film may as well have been an amped up sound of a nail being hammered in a coffin, the entire audience was in stunned silence for a good 3 seconds as the credits started up, the first words i heard uttered as i hastily exited the theatre were "Jesus, that's probably the worst movie i've seen in a long long time". Empire really fucked up the review on this one, they did the same with Eagle Vs Shark... 4 stars again for a movie that deserved 2 at most. This heap of sheep shit deserved maybe 1 star for Weta's efforts and the guy who looked like Bruce Campbell but i'd be reluctant to give it even that.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Black Sheep Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI