Dustin Hoffman

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Dustin Hoffman Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dustin Hoffman - 28/9/2007 11:29:13 PM   
Kazuya

One of the all-time greatest actors I think, consistently good in whatever role he plays. An astonishing body of work that includes classics such as Midnight Cowboy, Little Big Man, Straw Dogs, Papillon, All The President's Men and Marathon Man, as well as his academy award winning performances in Kramer Vs. Kramer and Rain Man. He was also very impressive in the otherwise dissapointing Hook, completely stealing every scene he was in, of his more recent apperances, I Heart Huckabees and Perfume are standouts. Any other fans?

"Bleed, bastard."
Post #: 1
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 29/9/2007 6:04:47 AM   
Lydia_H

He is an incredible actor who has made so many great contributions to cinema. I think my favourite performance would be Ratso Rizzo from Midnight Cowboy

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 2
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 29/9/2007 8:22:48 AM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lydia_H

He is an incredible actor who has made so many great contributions to cinema. I think my favourite performance would be Ratso Rizzo from Midnight Cowboy

seconded Lydia, i think he is a charasmatic ball of talent and his funny heartfelt performance in the masterful Midnight Cowboy still gets me with each viewing.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 3
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 29/9/2007 10:43:54 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lydia_H

He certainly is. It's hard for me to just choose one favorite performance of his, I agree completely that he's fantastic in Midnight Cowboy, but then again his turn in Straw Dogs represents some of the best, most naturalistic acting I've ever seen, also extraordinarily good in Papillon.
Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to mention his performance in Billy Bathgate in my initial post, just brilliant. 

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 4
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 3/10/2007 12:22:15 PM   
ElephantBoy

Don't forget Straw Dogs a very over looked preformance, such a difficut film it's hard to know weather to pull for his character or not he strikes such a fine balance in a complex role.  The Gradete too.  One of the things i like about him is his unexpected anger.   He start many films as great down trondon, and quiet, but out of the blue can sudderly snap and carry quite power as a more aggrisive person.  You really don't see it coming.

Now if we can only stop him from making all these silly comdies.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 5
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 3/10/2007 7:45:39 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Don't forget Straw Dogs a very over looked preformance, such a difficut film it's hard to know weather to pull for his character or not he strikes such a fine balance in a complex role.  The Gradete too.  One of the things i like about him is his unexpected anger.   He start many films as great down trondon, and quiet, but out of the blue can sudderly snap and carry quite power as a more aggrisive person.  You really don't see it coming.

Now if we can only stop him from making all these silly comdies.

Yeah, I mentioned his performance in Straw Dogs earlier, I agree it's exceptionally good. The Graduate is a good film as well, very nicely adapted from the novel, outstanding cinematography too. Actually I think Hoffman was nominated for an Academy Award for his role in the film.

I think Hoffman is great when he's doing comedy, very funny in Wag the Dog and I Heart Huckabees, Meet the Fockers was shit, but Hoffman's performance was still good.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 6
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 4/10/2007 12:48:52 AM   
Lydia_H

Straw Dogs is an exceptional performance, it is amazing how much depth of feeling he gives to that awful situation with a very cold and lifeless character. It would be my second favourite performance.

I have seen The Graduate but for certain reasons I wasn't really paying attention I have it on dvd so I may have to watch it soon. I also have Tootsie which I can watch.

Interesting that Rain Man hasn't really come up yet. I don't rate that as one of Hoffman's best performances, I am always supicious of roles like that

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 7
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 4/10/2007 9:55:04 AM   
Biggus

No love for Lenny? Tut tut.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 8
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 4/10/2007 3:13:25 PM   
ElephantBoy

Didn't he win an Oscar for Rainman?    I don't know if it's an altogether great film, but i like him in it.  I guess he's good in Satires not stright comdey.   Wag the Dog is certainly very over looked.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 9
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 4/10/2007 6:53:47 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

i have alot of love for Lenny, has to be one of the most underrated performances ever bar none.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 10
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 5/10/2007 4:51:13 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

Yeah, Hoffman's performance in Lenny is extremely good, as always, very depressing film though.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 11
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 5/10/2007 4:56:56 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Didn't he win an Oscar for Rainman?    I don't know if it's an altogether great film, but i like him in it.  I guess he's good in Satires not stright comdey.   Wag the Dog is certainly very over looked.

Yes he did, like you I didn't enjoy Rain Man all that much, I've always found it overrated, but I think Hoffman deserved the praise he received, magnificent performance. Cruise is quite good in the film as well.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 12
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 6/10/2007 1:59:07 AM   
Lydia_H

I haven't seen Lenny yet 

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 13
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 15/10/2007 11:24:39 PM   
Mason Verger

"A good review from the critics is just another stay of execution." 
DH

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 14
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 31/1/2009 5:13:14 PM   
Mason Verger

Proust Questionnaire: Dustin Hoffman from Vanity Fair

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 15
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 13/2/2009 11:46:01 PM   
Sugarman Treacle

Dustin Hoffman is certainly one of the best actors out there, he has always been a favourite of mine - nice to see that more appreciate his work as much as I do! Not every actor can do what he does, and make it as good... that's a real talent he's got. With so many great films to choose from, it's hard to pick one, but when it comes to my personal favourite it has to be Tootsie. It's such a warm and funny film, which certainly moves me everytime. Long live Dustin!

I'm turning turning turning turning turning around, and all that I can see is just a yellow lemmon-tree...

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 16
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 15/2/2009 4:10:07 AM   
Incanus

I remember reading about Marathon Man the following behind-the-scenes story: Lawrence Olivier was already suffering from cancer and shooting the scenes by normal standards was still quite painful. Yet, Hoffman would insist that a specific scene, the teeth-drilling interrogation scene I think, be filmed over and over again till he would feel he'd given his best depiction of a man under torture. Olivier was by then exhausted, being also fully aware of Hoffman's method, so he condescendingly suggested to him:

"My dear boy, why don't you try acting?"

WINTER IS COMING

T h e 2 4 t h F r a m e . c o . u k

Cuiva Olorin
Narendur.
Tira nottolya
Tulta tuolya.
An mauya mahtie
Ter oiomornie
Ter ondicilyar
Mettanna.
Nurunna!

(in reply to Sugarman Treacle)
Post #: 17
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 16/2/2009 11:33:00 AM   
ElephantBoy

Still quite entertaining to watch today in flabby films/roles, he needs to be more slective and do less films.  But compeared to some of his genartation very solid.

On a different note did anyone see the Stage Version of Rain man?
I saw it before Christmas, thought it was reasonable getting a good blend between black comedy and strange moving moments, the set i also liked, but Josh Hartnett in the Tom Cruise role did seem to soft peddle for me, almost doing a Cruise imparsion at times, rather that stamping his own mark on the production.
The other actors were great, although of the updated streads were a bit weak.

(in reply to Incanus)
Post #: 18
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 22/2/2009 8:41:52 PM   
gggolem

Yeah, Dustin is good. Can't really say what is his best role because he's always more or less great in everything.

I might be insane but I consider Marathon Man and Rainman to be quite boring films. Hook on the other hand is awesome. Papillon is probably the best movie he's appeared in, but that's mainly because of Steve McQueen. Also Perfume was very good, I thought.

All men would be cowards if they only had the courage.

Post #: 19
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 24/2/2009 5:33:31 PM   
Drone

Let's not forget Outbreak people, it may not be the pinnacle of a noteworthy career, but it's a guilty pleasure you all know you enjoy watching when it pops on ITV2 late night. 

(in reply to gggolem)
Post #: 20
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 24/2/2009 8:06:20 PM   
moontheloon

To me the best Dustin Hoffman role is Ratso Rizzo. It's just so unlike anything else I have seen him in and is one of the finest performances I have seen. Not to underplay his other roles mind you, he is a great actor. Though I do think that like a lot of his generation, his latest output has been far from his best (I'm looking at you DeNiro), I agree with the comments about him being more selective.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 21
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 25/2/2009 9:42:34 AM   
st3veebee

Cinematic legend, along the lines of Paul Newman (only not quite as nice). Have heard he is an absolute prick to work with but who cares? Just look at the films he has produced. One of my favouries of his is Little Big Man and I also have a soft spot for Hook.

All time best?------------> All the Presidents Men.

Also---> Does anyone know where that interview can be found where he is almost in tears talking about Tootsie?

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 22
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 2/3/2009 8:58:09 PM   
leannef55

I love Dustin Hoffman. Even in crappy films, he is still excellent. I saw an episode of "Inside The Actor's Studio" on telly the other day and he came across as such a decent and genuine bloke. I think the first film I saw him in was Kramer Vs Kramer- rented many many moons ago when my parents got their first VCR! My all time favourite has to be Tootsie though.

"Roads?? Where we're going, we don't need.....roads"

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 23
RE: Dustin Hoffman - 12/7/2009 11:10:16 AM   
Rory_Breaker

I think in Graduate he is really good :)

(in reply to leannef55)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Dustin Hoffman Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI