Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Kids & Babies Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Kids & Babies Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 29/9/2007 10:50:41 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Well, my daughter just finished her first full week at nursery, and the final verdict is pretty good. Increasingly as I left her there, she didn't want me to leave. In the end, I had to pass her to one of the nursery staff and leave, for fear of upsetting her further. Her behaviour during the day was fine, with one unsettled day. When I went to pick her up, she had this odd mix of happy and tearful at seeing me which tugged at my heart. Fortunately, yesterday when I picked her up, there was no trace of tearfulness (despite crying when I left), so I hope she'll be ok come Tuesday when she goes back!

I'm putting together her bed today. If anyone is looking for a decent priced toddler bed (18mos to 5 yrs) then Kiddicare are great value. £119.97 for the bed, mattress, duvet, and bedding. Ordered on the Wednesday, attempted delivery Thursday. Said they'd try again Friday, but the delivery guy popped back in the afternoon to try again, and we were in! Great service. I'll report if there are any problems with the bed itself when it is assembled.

Here's a pic of it.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to pixiedevil_pop)
Post #: 121
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 29/9/2007 11:53:15 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Increasingly as I left her there, she didn't want me to leave. In the end, I had to pass her to one of the nursery staff and leave, for fear of upsetting her further.

A cliche I know but they do that all the time. Both of my daughter's nursery nurse is now married to one of my friends, and she still jokes now how they screamed and cried when we were leaving, then just stopped abruptly the second we were gone. It used to break my heart seeing a little tearful face at the window as I drove off.

I had a proud Dad moment this week.
Now my kids both perform on stage. They dance very well, sing very well and anyone with girls will tell you they can be very dramatic at times too.
They dance all over the country  in festivals but I'm not the kind of parent who gushes over their kids, I find it all very embarassing. I tend to sneak in out of theatres, I hate it when other parents say "well done" after your kid has just won something (why congratulate me? It was their doing...)
Last weekend though they were both in a Singing and Drama show. My eldest had a solo and came onto the stage like a star. Her face just projected confidence and then she belted out a song (a Doctor Seuss number or something) which made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up (which they are doing now as I write this)
When she finished, the applause, whistling and cheering was rapturous. One of the parents behind me in the audience smacked me on the back and said "I bet you can't believe that can you?" For once I didn't want to slip down into my seat embarassed, I wanted to stand up and shout "that was my daughter everybody".
I'm still thrilled about it now

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 122
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 29/9/2007 2:22:28 PM   
pettsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

Much cheaper than sitting in some bar crammed full of northeners wearing Newcastle Utd shirts...!

Bets its not as much fun though!

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 123
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 30/9/2007 9:08:29 AM   
pixiedevil_pop

Jonson, I'm really looking forward to moments like that (well, I hope both or at least one) will be interested in singing and stage considering myself and mr homer are! I get embarressed easily already although have been trying my best, when somebody tells me what lovely children I have to say 'thank you very much' - I figure, why shouldn't I take a little credit for the way Jacob and Tegan are? Since they're 41/2 and 2 years old they are both very well mannered. Even my 2 year old will say 'ank ooo' (thank you) and 'peeasee' (please) totally unprompted!
We ventured into town yesterday and decided to go into betty's boo's for our lunch (also an ice cream palour - yay!) They both sat properly at our table, no messing about, ate their food (every bit) and still remained seated and well behaved (while other parents struggeled with older childrens behaviour). Due to them being so fantastic we rewarded them with an ice cream each. Jacob began having a rather lenghly conversation with an old lady on the table next to us. (Jacob could talk for Wales and England combined btw). I have to admitt I get embarressed when he does this as I worry the person he's chatty too might be fed up and just being polite in paying him attention. I tried pulling his attention back to us so as to give the lady a break, but she said 'no, no, I don't mind at all. What a lovely little boy he is! So well spoken, how old is he?' Jacob promptly informed her he was 4 but would be 5 tomorrow (march actually)! She was shocked, she thought he was about 6 and thought he was extremely bright.
Puffed up with pride by this time we said good bye to the kindly lady and ventured into a craft fair where more comments were made about how good our children were.

Obviously I always hope that I'm a good parent (I know mr homer is) but since returning to work full time I've felt guilty and sometimes very upset that I'm failing them in some way. Do we let them watch too much tv? Are they eating enough of the right things? Do I do enough with them? Should my 2 year old being looked after by somebody other than me? There is this terrible stigma these days which make me feel I need to have superpowers as a parent. I suppose I know deep down I'm doing alright most of the time, but when a total stranger makes a positive comment on your parenting it lights you up from the inside! 

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 124
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 1/10/2007 12:07:10 AM  1 votes
lulu karma

Well, I am not a parent - in the biological sense.  My two nieces are 9 and 11 years younger than me.  When they were toddlers, my sister pretty much checked out as a Mom.  So, my Mom worked nights and when I would come home from school, I was very involved in their upbringing since they lived with us.  My older brother (he is ten years older than me) was around, but definitely I was a mother figure.

I always knew from a very young age that I would never have children.  Some people are just born that way - just as much as many people always seem to somehow know that they will be a Mom or Dad one day.  Yet, my years spent watching them perform in school plays, helping them work out how to do well in school in spite of learning disabilities and holding them as they told me how something bad happened at school that day gave me a love that nothing else can honestly compare to.  They are the closest thing I will ever have in regards to children of my own.

They are both grown now and married.  The eldest miscarried at 8 months seven years ago and it was devastating.  Four months ago we found out that my younger niece is expecting.  We are a small family and there aren't many babies - only two in the last seven years in fact.  We are scared, of course, because we can't help but think of what happened with her sister, but the excitment is off the charts.  I have spoken to my niece about two hours today planning her baby shower and this just simply has to be incredibly special so that she can feel how very much she is loved that day.  This child is going to be blessed because while she isn't here yet, the love we have for her is something that makes life beautiful.

I am going to be the worst great aunt ever.  That child will be a demon when she goes home to Mommy and Daddy because I'm gonna spoil the hell out of her.  I can't wait. 

< Message edited by lulu karma -- 1/10/2007 12:10:51 AM >

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to pixiedevil_pop)
Post #: 125
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 3/10/2007 9:51:44 AM   
Sinatra

Anyone else been watching the series on chl 4 "Bringing Up Baby"....?
Bloody good watch.

There's a nutty child mentor on it.... she's completely crazy in her approach... i.e no cuddling the baby, no kissing the baby, no visitors for the first month.... etc etc etc she's trying to become the Simon Cowell of the baby world... and the funniest thing?? she hasn't even had kids herself!!!!!

Post #: 126
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 3/10/2007 12:43:58 PM   
KennyM

The missus is watching it and I'm kind of half watching while she is.Some of the stuff just looks plain cruel. The wee girl who wasn't allowed to give her baby sister a cuddle. Mental.

On a happier note, my little'un is three on Saturday and I can't wait. Mainly 'cause I've bought her The Lion King and I can't wait to watch it and have a sing-a-long .

Spent last night building her new Disney Princess bike, complete with nifty pink tassles coming out the handle bars. Problem is, she's a bit small and probably won't be able to pedal it or see over the handle bars . When you have kids, Christmas and Birthdays are great, watching there little faces light up when they see their presents. It really re-ignited my love for Christmas, and it  makes me feel like a kid as well. havinf a party for her friends on Friday, in the house, so it should be a disaster zone after about half an hour. Can't wait!

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 127
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 7/10/2007 4:50:27 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Bloody good watch.

There's a nutty child mentor on it.... she's completely crazy in her approach... i.e no cuddling the baby, no kissing the baby, no visitors for the first month.... etc etc etc she's trying to become the Simon Cowell of the baby world... and the funniest thing?? she hasn't even had kids herself!!!!!

I'm no expert but even I could do a better job than that so-called £1000 a day Simon Cowellesque expert.
2 day old baby? Leaving it outside in it's pram for 4 hours? Can't be right surely, not allowed to make eye contact when feeding the baby? What the fucks that all about?

I'm not really a fan of any of the three methods inparticular but if I was forced to choose I'd probably choose the Spock method. It seems to me though that a mixture of all three is probably the best way to go.

Just bought a nursing/gliding chair of ebay today, going to pick it up sometime this week. Something else for the nursery sorted......just better get painting now

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 128
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 7/10/2007 10:54:28 PM   
homersimpson_esq

i saw something in a baby shop a while back. it's a little platform, large enough for a moses basket stand or a pram to stand on, and all it does is move forwards and backwards - to save you rocking the baby. Talk about lazy. having said that, we got into a nasty habit when our son was a baby, where I had to rock him to sleep in his pram, then transfer him to his cot when he was well gone! Not surprisingly, I got sick of this after a short time, and having read in a magazine, did the 'kiss and retreat' method, which worked wonders. Said goodnight, laid him down, left the room for 5 minutes. He cried. Went back in after 5 minutes, didn't say a word to him, laid him down, tucked him in, went back out. Would have waited for 10 minutes, but the little blighter was fasto before then. That was when he was about 1.

In more recent news, our daughter has settled into her bed brilliantly. (When she's not being disturbed by her somnambulist father... two nights without any sleepwalking - go me!) My son would come to the door (blocked by stair gate) and call me, but my daughter's got the hang of it straight away! She's also getting the hang of stringing words together much faster than my son did. Which is not to downplay my son's vocabulary, because (and as something I've consciously encouraged I'm proud of this) he has a very good vocabulury. He watched Snow White for the first time today while Mrs Homer was doing a sponsored walk (!), and when she got home, he said 'I enjoyed the film because it was brilliant'. This from a 4 yr old. I was sure to make the association early on that old film=classic=very good. I'll keep reiterating that association, so he comes to assume that old films are good. Now I have to wait until he's old enough to appreciate a black and white film, or can read well enough to watch foreign films subtitled rather than dubbed. Might start that with Totoro since he already knows what's going to happen before it does. All in good time tho, baby steps, and all that.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 129
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 7/10/2007 11:19:25 PM   
pettsy

I taught my niece her first word the other day.  Now, when she sees my dog, she says "woof".  My sister is not impressed!

Post #: 130
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 8/10/2007 12:15:02 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I was about to ask why she isn't impressed, but then I realised that she's put out that you taught her daughter her first word, not her....! Damn you! 

I can't remember my son's first word, but my daughter's was 'bath'. How very mundane!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 131
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 8/10/2007 1:57:59 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

Just bought a nursing/gliding chair of ebay today

We bought ours off of Ebay... and it's been a godsend.
Does your one come with a footstool.?

Post #: 132
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 8/10/2007 2:30:31 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Also bought off Ebay, just waiting to arrange a time for pickup. It was the Mrs who wanted one, and you know what women are like once they decide they want something......  Just hope it's worth the purchase, if she doesn't use it, I'll kill her.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 133
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 8/10/2007 2:37:27 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Also bought off Ebay, just waiting to arrange a time for pickup. It was the Mrs who wanted one, and you know what women are like once they decide they want something......  Just hope it's worth the purchase, if she doesn't use it, I'll kill her.

That's a not unreasonable proposition...

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 134
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 8/10/2007 3:07:44 PM   
Sinatra

Exactly what we got!!

Post #: 135
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 8/10/2007 3:09:58 PM   
Felix

I tried one of those in John Lewis, made me want to puke. The motion of it is horrible!

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 136
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 8/10/2007 3:18:00 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

I tried one of those in John Lewis, made me want to puke. The motion of it is horrible!

Pussy...

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 137
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 8/10/2007 4:24:36 PM   
jonson

Just the fact it's stained pine and looks like something my grannie's granny sat in makes me want to puke.
And yes, Felix is indeed a pussy.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 138
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 8/10/2007 6:46:06 PM   
lulu karma

I love you guys!  

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 139
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 8/10/2007 6:54:12 PM   
The2ndRing

My daughter's Dad and stepmum are expecting a baby at the mo, I'm getting quite a lot of emotions being thrown my way by her stepmum, dad and her of course, it's a bit stressful but nothing I can't handle

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library

"Do you know what I like about you?
Fuck all."

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 140
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 8/10/2007 7:36:21 PM   
indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: pettsy

I taught my niece her first word the other day.  Now, when she sees my dog, she says "woof".  My sister is not impressed!

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 141
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 8/10/2007 8:40:09 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Bloody good watch.

I'm no expert but even I could do a better job than that so-called £1000 a day Simon Cowellesque expert.
2 day old baby? Leaving it outside in it's pram for 4 hours? Can't be right surely, not allowed to make eye contact when feeding the baby? What the fucks that all about?

I'm not really a fan of any of the three methods inparticular but if I was forced to choose I'd probably choose the Spock method. It seems to me though that a mixture of all three is probably the best way to go.

Just bought a nursing/gliding chair of ebay today, going to pick it up sometime this week. Something else for the nursery sorted......just better get painting now

Yeah, not really the best of approaches.  The childminder my mum had for me when I was a baby did that, left me outside in my pram on cold December mornings so that "I would get some colour in my cheeks".  I got rosy cheeks alright, came with the 105 degree temperature from pneumonia.

That's me that is!

Post #: 142
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 9/10/2007 10:00:50 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Just the fact it's stained pine and looks like something my grannie's granny sat in makes me want to puke.
And yes, Felix is indeed a pussy.

I cant help being a delicate flower.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

I've got to learn more about that method. Does it teach you the death grip thingy too?

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 143
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 9/10/2007 10:36:44 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

pffft, no taste....

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 144
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 9/10/2007 10:41:03 AM   
The2ndRing

I love the fact that my husband thinks that when the time comes for us t ohave a baby he will be able to avoid being vomited on, I laughed

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library

"Do you know what I like about you?
Fuck all."

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 145
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 10/10/2007 5:26:27 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: The2ndRing

I love the fact that my husband thinks that when the time comes for us t ohave a baby he will be able to avoid being vomited on, I laughed

I'm telling you now, I am going to be the first father who's never going to get vomited on*

*Well, that's the plan......

(in reply to The2ndRing)
Post #: 146
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 10/10/2007 8:53:23 PM   
Goodfella

My only real experience with kids is that of my friend's, she has two, a girl aged four and a boy aged two. They are pretty good kids, Nicole is very clingy and I get on with her like a house on fire. It's strange but it's kind of set my mind on having a girl when I'm older.

My friend also heavily swung my opinion on young mums.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 147
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 11/10/2007 8:16:51 AM   
jonson

Do we ever stop worrying about our kids? Do we ever stop being paranoid? Will I lie in bed worrying on a Saturday night when they're 18 years old and out nightclubbing till 3 in the morning?
I ask because I picked up my youngest from school yesterday (the eldest wanted to catch the bus) and I was waiting outside her classroom, chatting to another parent and she must have walked straight past me, because I stood there for 5 minutes, wandered up to the car park to see if she'd gone there, but still I couldn't see her. I laughed it off with one other Dad (he hung out of his car and said "you're supposed to leave with your kids!" in mock amusement at me walking out of the school gates on my own) I laughed this off but the feeling in my stomach (you all understand this) was terrible. I stumbled across her 5 minutes later, just sat happily in the school car park playing on her PSP .
Now the fact is she never left the schhol grounds, and being nearly 9, she's not daft and would just sit in one place and wait patiently, and not do the stupid things like get in a stranger's car, accept sweets off someone with a beard or talk to a ginger, but still, I lay in bed last night cursing my irresponsibility for not looking out for her when the classes left.
What if, what if, what if, is all you ask of yourself.
It made me start wondering what I put my parents through when  I was a teenager.
Not coming home till 4 or 5 in the morning, not coming home at all (if I'd gotten lucky ) sometimes telling them, sometimes not.
They trusted me immensely, I only very rarely got into any trouble, but still they must have worried for me. Maybe it's going to be worse having daughters than it is having sons (for starters I don't trust boys with girls. I've been one and quite frankly, they're a bunch of bastards. I had mates who treated girls like shit. I'd be heartbroken if my daughter happened to meet one of them, but what can you do?)
Erm, not quite sure where I'm going with this, it's not advice and it's not a question, just something to get off my chest. The fact is I think you worry about your kids more and more. The first few years feels almost like a game, like your playing at somehting, somehting a bit different and exciting. I don't think the full feeling of responsability hits you for a few years.
We've been viewing secondary schools this week and normally where I'm quite blase and happy to let the wife choose, this time round I'm there, asking question after question, seriously pondering all girl versus mixed, Catholic versus C of E (we're all C of E but I have no problem with Catholic schooling)
Last night I was discussing with my wife why I prefered one over another because they didn't make Latin compulsory (sorry but I have a hard time understanding the importance of Latin wheras my wife thinks it's a great subject. Completely effing pointless IMO)
Right, enough of my bollocks, sorry if you're still reading this

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 148
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 11/10/2007 9:37:22 AM   
Sinatra

I'll never stop worrying about my girls.
My eldest is 13 in January and she is a very sensible girl.
She's already been offered alcohol down the local park and rightly refused and came home and told us straight away.
She's had the chance to go down Southend seafront on a sleepover night (neither set of parent would have known - it’s a long story) and turned down the sleepover
because she knew what they were planning… so I do trust her. But like Jonson says, what about when they're out on the beer? not fully aware of the dangers in a club etc…
I'm already shitting myself to be honest…. as for my youngest, she likes to make people laugh and I worry she could be led astray….? it’s a nightmare, but then I think all you can do is bring them up as best you can and pray they are sensible. when I think of what I got up to, sheesh, like Jonson I never really got into trouble as such but I've done some things I'm not proud of…..
Then there's my son, he's not even 3 months old yet, but I reckon that even though I'll be protective, I wont have quite the same worries as I do with the girls.
Is that sexist? maybe… whereas I wouldn't want the girls taken advantage of I'll probably be hoping that my son 'sews his wild oats a bit' - blimey that sounds terrible.
Not making my point very well……

Anyways…..
As for schools, well we planned that out when they were babies.
There's a very good school in our area, and we (myself and my ex-wife) moved to our house so that we were in the catchment - and opposite the school bus-stop.
It's an amazing school - mixed (I think same-sex schools can sometimes cause probs later on in life) but some of the best results in Essex - it really pushes the pupils.
It's also a college - which is handy.
Christ I sound as dreary as Jonson….

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 149
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 11/10/2007 10:37:20 AM   
Johnny Fingers

Hey Jonson.  I'm resigned myself that for the rest of my life I'll be a nervous wreck worrying about my daughter (she's only 18 months so i've got lots of time as well).  She's just about to start nursery so that'll be the starter, then school, teenage years, boyfriends (all will be interviewed.  I'll have a baseball bat in my hand), her clubbing days, work, marriage, children...and on and on and on.  I certainly don't want to wrap her in cotton wool and everything will be just fine but I cwertainly foresee many a sleepless night thinking about where she is, is she ok etc etc  all part of being a Dad I suppose.    

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Kids & Babies Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI