Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Kids & Babies Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Kids & Babies Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 7:47:51 PM   
KennyM

Yeah, it was never really a problem with Ellie, her mum had a bit of a hard time of it though so the docs thought it would be best to bring her out early. Nervous times all the same, there were a few dodgy moments and she was in the special care unit for about ten weeks before we could get her home, but thankfully she is absolutely fine now. She's still small-ish for her age but she more than makes up for it in brains..and cheek!

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 91
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 10:21:46 PM   
pixiedevil_pop

I was asked a funny question in work today, 'if you had the power to travel back in time and change things, would you?' All my colleagues answered the same 'yes'. I decided that my answer was no. Even if it meant I could go back and worn my parents (for example) to get my nana checked out at the hospital because she was actually very ill and so possibly stop her from dying - also my gransha (whom died of a broken heart for loosing her). They died 4 days apart. I considered for a moment having this power to go back and stop loosing my wonderful grandparents...then I thought of my Jacob and Tegan, if something were changed in the past (no matter how small) they may NEVER of come into being. I could not imagine my life without them, the thought actually petrifed me when thinking about that silly question I was asked and I felt suddenly sick.

It's so weird, I barely remember life before 'them' now and again I mention to mr homer about the times leaving the house was so very easy, simply walking out the door, jumping in the car and going to the cinema - it tends to be the only memory I have post kids! When you have kids, at first going out is like a military procedure (and knackering!)
I was 21 when I had Jacob, totally planned and wanted - I was ready (and not one of those nutty sorts mentioned in earlier posts) you're either ready or not. I have ALWAYS known that I wanted to be a mum, and felt totally complete as a person when Jacob came along, Tegan is my greedy bonus....and I want to be greedy again, but want to leave it a while.
Jonson and others have put it perfectly (even Mr homer) - although Tegan had a thing for micheal buble - the home song one. One other thing, try and remain a couple - where possible, get out (at least 1 evening a month) go for a meal, to the cinema chill out without baby. I love my children unconditionaly but you MUST have a little break from them else you will be insane and no use to anybody.

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 92
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 10:50:52 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Well I came (easy there at the back), I saw, and although there is nothing too major  I still don't see why a six year old needs this video.
In all honesty there isn't much in it unless you find Dogs suckling distressing. I made it through the first video and it had very little to object to. It basically followed a couple of dogs, rabbits, swans and then Guardian reading (typical BBC) people with 2.4 children going through the process of planning a baby.
The slow motion part with the two dogs "playing" was very funny as was the comment that mummy shoots her milk into the bottles which I thought would be a neat little trick.  So nothing to object to there.
Next comes the birth.
The swans hatching again nothing she doesn't already know about and then over to the dogs, where you basically see everything but because its a dog you aren't 100% with 4 legs getting a bit in the way. Next cut to the guardian reader squatting in front of a sofa and the dad reaching down and bringing up a baby.  Now this without being gratitious or OTT is bound to raise a few questions. The first being, no doubt, oh so you poo a baby out then.
The producers had obviously tried there best to make it as none traumatic for the viewers as possible with it being quiter than Suri Cruises birth. (They ensured this by showing the mum who already had 2 babies and the previous ones were 10 lbs each, wizards sleeve came to mind. )

Now I understand that sooner or later she will need to know exactly where a baby comes out of but does that really need to be now? The video will certainly raise this question particularly with my daughter, who understands that babies grow in mummy's tummy which has a special part for babies called the womb. But she hasn't yet really thought about exactly how it comes out yet or if she had she hasn't voiced this questions.

Anyway both me a the missus decided that there wasn't anything we really wanted her excluded from as it would only make a bigger issue and therefore more questions about it once her friends had watched the video. Therefore we haven't excluded her from the class but I'm not looking forward to next Friday night when she comes home loaded with questions.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that a 6 year old doesn't have to understand everything about birth quite yet.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 19/9/2007 10:53:33 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to pixiedevil_pop)
Post #: 93
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 11:11:01 PM   
pixiedevil_pop

I work with children (2-11 year olds). They have a terrible habit of asking far too many questions that they're far too young to understand as it is! I don't think they're old enough at the age of 6 for 'sex education'. Kids are mainly thrown up these days rather than brought up. We should be trying to make their innocence last for as long as possible. It's such a short period as it is. (urgh, I sound like a grown-up). When did that happen! - ah yes, when I was about 9. After my sex ed lesson. I want my childhood back dammit!

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 94
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 10:39:38 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that a 6 year old doesn't have to understand everything about birth quite yet.

Agreed mate, keep them kids whilst their kids if you know what I mean.

Post #: 95
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 11:11:01 AM   
Funkyrae

There's a massive part of me that agrees with this.  Children should be able to keep their childhood for as long as possible, the problem is that nature has a very different viewpoint sometimes.  My daughter is 6 and is already going through the stages of early puberty.  Trust me, it's horrible.  You're sort of prepared for the fact that "the talk" is going to have to happen when they're around 9 or 10 but having to start "the talk" to a child that's only 5 is a very difficult concept.

She's the only child in her class that has to wear deoderant.  She's already complaining of pains in her abdomen.  This has all been checked out by a doctor and I've been told that it is indeed early puberty.  The last thing I expected to have to do is explain where babies come from to a child that's still in infants!

I want to keep my girl as a 6 year old girl, but nature has other plans and until they show a Disney princess with a Tampon then it's going to be up to me and her teachers to help her through something that she should be going through with friends in about 6 years time.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 96
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 11:29:28 AM   
Sinatra

Aww, I hope your daughters getting through it all ok?

Whilst I understand what you're saying your situation is unusal as far as I know....

I dunno, I'm just a big softy with these things and a tad old fashioned.

I think between 8-9 is a good age for this type of thing. Let's face it, modern kids aren't going to be harmed mentally in any way.
They'll watch it, listen and then want to get out in the playground an play again.
I think as parents we can tend to over-worry with this type of thing.

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 20/9/2007 11:30:09 AM >

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 97
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 11:34:38 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I do remember reading in the Guinness Book of Records that the earliest known pregnancy is 6. Which is wrong on every level imaginable. But it does indicate that puberty can hit that young.

I hope everything goes ok Funkyrae - I'm sure you'll both be fine!. I agree with Sinatra - we do have a tendency to over-worry - children are great at just getting on with things!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 98
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 11:41:32 AM   
Funkyrae

Yeah she's getting through it fine, well, so far anyway.  I think it's me that's struggling to come to terms with it more than her to be honest.  You're both right, we do tend to over-worry as parents.  They don't tell you that part in the job description.

It's probably more to do with the increased media attention on 13 year old mothers that makes me worry.  I think I'll just start coming up with bizarre reasons for her not to go out.  "You haven't washed your hair.  You're grounded."  That sort of thing.  Either that or persuade Mattel to bring out a range of Barbie chastity belts.

That's me that is!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 99
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 11:44:50 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

Yeah she's getting through it fine, well, so far anyway.  I think it's me that's struggling to come to terms with it more than her to be honest.  You're both right, we do tend to over-worry as parents.  They don't tell you that part in the job description.

It's probably more to do with the increased media attention on 13 year old mothers that makes me worry.  I think I'll just start coming up with bizarre reasons for her not to go out.  "You haven't washed your hair.  You're grounded."  That sort of thing.  Either that or persuade Mattel to bring out a range of Barbie chastity belts.

There should be a boys version. Not sure how that's work, mind...

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 100
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 2:44:02 PM   
clarabell

6 does seem really young to be starting the sex education.  Seems like they're at an age where you wouldn;t want them knowing that kinda stuff, but they're old enough to be really inquisitive about it.  My cousin is six and about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face - I dread to think what sorts of questions she'd ask if she was introduced to the subject.

I remember having a rather awkward conversation with a four year-old at work about where babies come from.  We had a couple of pregnant mums at the time, so the kids were being told that it was a baby growing in the tummy.  This, of course, lead to the dreaded question about how babies come out a mummy's tummy, and if there was a hole they came out of.  I think he went away possibly thinking babies come out your belly button.  But his mum's a midwife anyway so she can deal with all that in time!  This was the same little boy who asked why my tummy was so big, but was actually referring to my boobs

When I die, bury me up-side down, so the world can kiss my ass

Just because the fucker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda!

Post #: 101
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 3:37:55 PM   
matty_b

Little bit of a scare today for us with 6 weeks to go. Normally our baby is very active, especially when my wife eats dinner and some ice pops but not a lot of activity over the last couple of days. I know you're supposed to feel about 10 kicks in 12 hours or something, and we've had that, but it's been noticeably less.

We're not overly worried just yet, he was kicking and moving around a lot about 3 hours, but still it's something we're keeping an eye on...

Anyone have any advice/experience relative to this?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to clarabell)
Post #: 102
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 3:45:35 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Yeah, my missus went through the same thing many times.
I won't patronise you by saying it's paranoia, but most of the time it is.
Bizarrely, we found that our babies both kicked more when you're sitting still, as the rocking motion of walking soothes them. As soon as my missus wanted to sit down and put her feet up, the little sods both started their ballet lessons.
Saying that, nothing beats a professional opinion. There's no shame whatsoever in popping down to your GP or hospital and just getting a check. Just remember, she's carrying the most precious thing you'll ever likely possess.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 103
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 3:50:25 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

The midwife mentioned this at our appointment this morning, she told Mrs Felix that if the baby is quieter during its usual 'busy' periods, then she should take a bath and drink a very cold drink. Apparently that will jolt them into action.

As jonson said, just give your GP or midwife a call, she's soon put your mind at ease.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 104
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 3:57:29 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

then she should take a bath and drink a very cold drink. Apparently that will jolt them into action.

Or a good twat with a frying pan helps as well.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 105
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 3:57:56 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I agree with jonson. Never, ever underestimate parental instinct. If you, or Mrs matty_b feel like you want to get it checked, then get it checked.

When my boy was about 1, he got croup. We did the usual, filled the bath with hot water, so he had a nice moist environment. Took him in the next day, and the doctor was about to send him home, when one of the nurses saw him wandering around, coughing badly, and said, 'ooh, he doesn't sound right'. The doctor reappraised, and got him on steroids.

Another earlier time when my son was just a baby he seemed very unresponsive and lethargic. He refused to eat or drink, and would just lie there. We took him to the doctors who seemed unimpressed. Took him to hospital after no improvement, and it turned out his blood sugar level had dropped drastically. They had him on a drip for a few days.

More recently, he got some sort of lump on his neck. Our first thought was mumps, but it was in the wrong place, and only on one side. And he's had the full MMR. Took him to the out of hours doctor, who prescribed calpol......! After no improvement over night (he could barely move his neck - think Batman) we took him to the doctor, who was unsure of what it was, and referred him to the hospital, who kept him in for two days. Turned out it was some sort of inflammation of the lymph nodes.

On each occasion, it was Mrs Homer's maternal instinct telling her something was wrong that made us more determined to get him seen to properly. I don't know other people's opinions, but doctors (and I apologise to doctors out there for this generalisation) in our experience are quick to go down the 'parental paranoia' route, and are too easily dismissive.

So, do what you feel is necessary - don't feel embarrassed. Then again, 9 times out of 10* it usually is parental paranoia...

*statistic may not be accurate...

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 106
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 4:06:32 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

then she should take a bath and drink a very cold drink. Apparently that will jolt them into action.

Or a good twat with a frying pan helps as well.

How does sinatra holding a frying pan help?

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 107
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 4:07:18 PM   
jonson

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 108
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 4:08:52 PM   
matty_b

Cheers for that guys - Jonson gets it right on the head when he says it's the most precious thing in the world she's carrying. We're not panicking just yet, because there was definite jolting and movements today...just a little less than normal. If we're still worried tomorrow, I think we'll get it checked out.

Cheers again fellas.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 109
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 20/9/2007 5:14:48 PM   
Funkyrae

Oh hell yeah agreed with Homer there.  Never underestimate instinct.  However, you say you've only got about 6 weeks to go.  When I had my daughter I was worried because I couldn't feel much movement.  My midwife told me then that, well, putting it bluntly, there ain't a lot of room left there for them to move in by that stage.  The baby may also be conserving its energy for the big day.  Might be early. 

That's me that is!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 110
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 21/9/2007 9:24:55 AM   
Sinatra

Actually I prefers woks....

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 111
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 21/9/2007 5:15:00 PM   
pixiedevil_pop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

Oh hell yeah agreed with Homer there.  Never underestimate instinct.  However, you say you've only got about 6 weeks to go.  When I had my daughter I was worried because I couldn't feel much movement.  My midwife told me then that, well, putting it bluntly, there ain't a lot of room left there for them to move in by that stage.  The baby may also be conserving its energy for the big day.  Might be early. 

Yep, same here - baby won't move as much in the last couple of weeks due to space. Also, if the missus is moving about and is pretty active, you may not actually notice when the baby is actually being active. If it still worries you, seek advice. Midwives are used to be asked questions - it gives them something to do!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 112
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 24/9/2007 11:19:44 AM   
Sinatra

James had his first 2 inoculations this morning...
Got very upset apparently, poor little sod!
Still it means we can now go swimming this w/e.... thinking of booking centre parcs up!

Post #: 113
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 24/9/2007 1:24:48 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Mrs Homer and I both worked at a bar at one of the Center Parcs and would highly recommend NOT going. Overpriced. I had to charge people 2.85 for a bottle of Budweisers. 6 years ago. A can of red bull cost 3, and a shot of vodka was 2. If anyone was unfortunate to ask for a double vodka and red bull, it'd be 8. Shocking stuff. Daren't think how much they charge now.

The one in Sherwood Forest we visited once, and it was just very disappointing. Grubby, dirty, sub-standard for what you pay for.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 114
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 24/9/2007 1:38:32 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Mrs Homer and I both worked at a bar at one of the Center Parcs and would highly recommend NOT going. Overpriced. I had to charge people 2.85 for a bottle of Budweisers. 6 years ago. A can of red bull cost 3, and a shot of vodka was 2. If anyone was unfortunate to ask for a double vodka and red bull, it'd be 8. Shocking stuff. Daren't think how much they charge now.

I'm no maths whizz but aren't you pocketing 1 from every one ordered?

You're right though, Centre Parcs are a huge rip off.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 115
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 24/9/2007 2:29:50 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Ummm, well, uhhhh, heh. OK, so it's 7... Still, bloody rip off either way!

Then again, maybe people were ordering double red bull and vodka...

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 116
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 24/9/2007 4:00:19 PM   
Felix

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 117
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 24/9/2007 4:16:24 PM   
jonson

that sounds like my youngest. I swear she's gointo be a bank manager.

That's another thing with kids -saving money.
I honestly think thriftiness is a hereditary thing.
My eldest is like me. Give her some money and she spends it. I'm fucking hopeless with money hence why I don't possess a credit card or cheque book. I can't trust myself.
The missus however is as shrewd as the day is long. My youngest has inherited her "tightness" with money, and will awlays try and con me (this weekend at the local fair was a classic) into paying for her on something.
They both were given 10 each when I took them to the fair. My eldest blew the lot in 20 minutes, my youngest, believe it or not, had 12 after 15 minutes. I couldn't understand how she'd conned me into paying for the Waltzers and then managed to swipe the change as well.
Where I'm coming from is trying to get your kids to have a concept of monetary value. It's possibly IMO the hardest thing to do. They don't understand money, or possessions because let's face it, kids are spoilt rotten nowadays. They get shit loads for Birthdays and Christmas as well as other things all year round. Now they're not spoilt in a "little bastard" kind of way, just incapable of understanding that sometimes they can't have 20 friends to the cinema because we can't afford it. This is normally met with a puzzled look.
So how do you give them that all important sense of responsibility of money, possessions and savings?
The missus learnt her financial qualities by going to Uni and having nothing. I however started work from school and have never not had a job. I used to blow all my money at the weekend but get bailed out by my parents on a Monday. Perhaps they should have been tougher as I've always had someone to fall back on.
I'm too blase about it. If my kids said "can I have that Daddy?" and it cost 100 and I had 100, I'd just say yes.
That's possibly the most irresponsible thing I can do and it may yet bite me on the ass when the kids grow up (will I be bailing them out every week like my parents did with me?)

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 118
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 24/9/2007 4:44:35 PM   
Sinatra

I'm quite proud of my two.... and it's funny you should say about one being good with money and the other not so good.
My youngest daughter is as tight as a drum with money... she saves like a squirrel.
My eldest spends it... but both equally have a very good grounded view of money and appreciate the fact that things cost money. And example being a birthday party I'm arranging for my eldest, I thought it weird that she wanted it on a Sunday afternoon (she'll be 13) and I finally got her to admit that she realised it would be a lot cheaper on a Sunday afternoon than a Friday night (cost of hall and DJ) I was very proud that she'd actually thought about the financial impact and then promptly booked the hall for the Friday!!!
They both have 100 spent on them for Birthdays - either presents or they get a shopping trip to Lakeside, if they want something extr special then I need to see constant good grades at school or extra help around the house or car washes etc...
They are good, and considering me and their Mother have split up very grounded ans responsible - though we are about to enter the teenage years!!!
Regarding Centre Parcs.... we love it, been 3 times already - it's worth the money just for the accomodation and the indoor tropical paradise. Without sounding like a poser we always have the Executive bungalows and I cant fault the cleanliness, but yes the drinks are a rip off.... but in the evening we usually finish our meal and then go back to the room and play board games etc... with of course a nice glass of wine and a malt!
Much cheaper than sitting in some bar crammed full of northeners wearing Newcastle Utd shirts...!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 119
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 24/9/2007 5:15:03 PM   
pixiedevil_pop

I am determined to get some good money sense into our two, mainly because myself and mr homer are totally useless! Jacob will be 5 years old in March, we're setting him up with a bank account and making sure that he's envolved from the start. We've decided at his young age he will be having 5 a week pocket money (given only through good behaviour and keeping his bedroom tidy, also as he gets older doing a few chores). We are going to teach him to put 2.50 into his account and the rest he can keep if he so wishes and buy a magazine or little toy. The savings he makes can go towards bigger things that he may fancy. The same will be done with Tegan when she turns 5. They both have piggy banks and love putting coins (no matter how small) into them, but don't tend to give money another thought (which I'm pleased about). My sister has 5 children and none of them have money sense and the youngest who is 4 yrs old demands money all the time and snorted at me when I offered her a quid and informed me that she preferred paper money! Cheeky little so and so. My two WILL NOT turn out the way my nephews and niece are.
Even at christmas time, we have a rule. They have one main present each (jacob wants a bike this year) then three or four smaller gifts, considering we have a large family they gets tones of stuff anyway and I don't want them spoilt and would prefer that they appreicate what they have. I've known my niece to throw a tantrum because the sandals we bought her for her birthday weren't 'crocs' (hate them). Ah well, I took them back and said I would keep them....she soon changed her tune.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Kids & Babies Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI