Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Kids and babies thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Kids and babies thread Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kids and babies thread - 12/7/2012 9:19:15 PM   
Harry Tuttle

It's my daughter's birthday in September and my wife decided to ask a parent of one of her friends if she wanted to do a joint birthday party as her daughter has her birthday a couple of days after ours. We weren't expecting (or really wanting) her to agree, we just asked because it seems joint parties are the in thing at the moment. Anyway, she declined, which was no problem at all, but my mouth hit the floor when I found out the reason why. She's arranged a pamper party for her daughter and friends (mine's been invited). A. Pamper. Party. For 7 year olds.

I fucking despair, honestly I do.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 1141
RE: Kids and babies thread - 16/7/2012 9:29:37 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

He's doing grand. Coming up for 5 months now, managed to roll over on his own and is trying desperately to get his legs to support him to start crawling.

Although I could really do with some advice here. As I've just said, he's coming up for 5 months and he won't sleep through the night. I'm up with him around three times a night, he wants feeding every time he wakes up, it isn't just cuddles. We're weaning him, he's got a very healthy appetite for his solid food but through the night as well? I'm absolutely knackered. Between this and pregnancy insomnia, I haven't had a proper night's sleep for about 10 months now.

I've tried waking him for a feed just before I go to bed, all that has done is put off his usual waking up time by about an hour. I'm giving him the formula for hungrier babies but that's not doing anything either.

I'm desperate for sleep, while I've got to the stage I can cope with about 5 hours, I'm really struggling to function properly and things I need to do (course studying, writing and trying to get a business started) just aren't happening.

My daughter was fantastic and was sleeping through by about 10 weeks old.

Anyone any ideas? Ideas that don't involve completely ignoring him. 'Controlled crying' isn't something I can agree with, imo it teaches a child that their mother won't come when they cry, it gives them stress that has been proven to stay with them and it also gives them wind so causes pain.

Glad to hear he's doing so well. My little lassie is already flipping herself over onto her tummy which is scaring the shit out of me as I keep waking in the night to find her asleep on her stomach. She seems to like it and I'm sure she'll be fine but it still makes me nervous.

On the sleep thing but I can recommend a bloody brilliant book and website

http://www.babysleepanswers.co.uk/

It's really great and they also have a forum with sleep helpers on there to deal with your particular issue as well which I found so helpful when I was trying to get my son to sort his napping out.

I did controlled crying in the end which worked great for us but I realise isn't for everyone. With controlled crying though you don't ignore them at all you just don't try and cajole them to sleep. They don't lean to any one style though and cover the whole lot in a very short book which is really easy to get through especially when you can barely keep your eyes open.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 1142
RE: Kids and babies thread - 16/7/2012 9:31:27 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

It's my daughter's birthday in September and my wife decided to ask a parent of one of her friends if she wanted to do a joint birthday party as her daughter has her birthday a couple of days after ours. We weren't expecting (or really wanting) her to agree, we just asked because it seems joint parties are the in thing at the moment. Anyway, she declined, which was no problem at all, but my mouth hit the floor when I found out the reason why. She's arranged a pamper party for her daughter and friends (mine's been invited). A. Pamper. Party. For 7 year olds.

I fucking despair, honestly I do.

Why are they still wearing nappies?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1143
RE: Kids and babies thread - 16/7/2012 9:34:15 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1144
RE: Kids and babies thread - 16/7/2012 9:43:39 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Ayethangyou. I'm here till Thursday. Try the veal.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 1145
RE: Kids and babies thread - 16/7/2012 9:48:24 PM   
DancingClown

What's a pamper party?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 1146
RE: Kids and babies thread - 16/7/2012 10:00:29 PM   
Harry Tuttle

It's a cosmetic party basically. A pampering party like the ones they do for hen nights.

Even the kid themed ones tend to be nothing but Nail Varnishing, Facials and Make Up. My daughter wears nail varnish occasionally, and I feel a bit uncomfortable about that as it is, but a full on "beauty product" themed party for such impressionable minds seems a bit on the fucked up side to me.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 1147
RE: Kids and babies thread - 16/7/2012 10:06:58 PM   
steffols

I remember has a kid, I had a beauty box with make up and perfume designed for girls in it. I remember it had nail varnish which peeled off which I loved because peeling it off was like peeling kids glue off your hands. But yeah, that sounds very fucking creepy.

< Message edited by steffols -- 16/7/2012 10:08:58 PM >

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

Post #: 1148
RE: Kids and babies thread - 16/7/2012 10:11:26 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

It's a cosmetic party basically. A pampering party like the ones they do for hen nights.

Even the kid themed ones tend to be nothing but Nail Varnishing, Facials and Make Up. My daughter wears nail varnish occasionally, and I feel a bit uncomfortable about that as it is, but a full on "beauty product" themed party for such impressionable minds seems a bit on the fucked up side to me.

About as fucked up as the underwear I saw once in Asda or Tesco for my daughter's age children, with writing on. My concern: who the fuck is meant to be reading it?

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 1149
RE: Kids and babies thread - 20/8/2012 1:26:28 PM   
great_badir

So little lady badir is nearly 2 and a half months old, and she seems to have developed an incredibly short attention span - she won't stick to playing with one thing for more than, literally, a couple of minutes, and TV time usually involves changing the channel (or DVD) several times.

Is this normal, or regular for a two year old? I mean, I know the "terrible twos" and everything (and we are right in the middle of those now), but I don't remember either my niece or nephew being this bad at this age...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 1150
RE: Kids and babies thread - 20/8/2012 1:34:07 PM   
jonson

It's not unusual. My youngest was going from one thing to another, incredibly bored with anything for longer than 30 seconds. Even to this day, aged 13, we know when an advert break is on because she's either in the fridge, cartwheeling through the kitchen or irritating me
I think they get to the age when they suddenly realise they have options, rather than being given something to do.
That said, I think the fact that she is changing the TV over/DVD's at 2 and a half months is brilliant.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 1151
RE: Kids and babies thread - 20/8/2012 1:51:22 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
It's not unusual. My youngest was going from one thing to another, incredibly bored with anything for longer than 30 seconds. Even to this day, aged 13, we know when an advert break is on because she's either in the fridge, cartwheeling through the kitchen or irritating me
I think they get to the age when they suddenly realise they have options, rather than being given something to do.
That said, I think the fact that she is changing the TV over/DVD's at 2 and a half months is brilliant.

That's okay then!

Yep - she knows how to turn the TV on and off (and she always waves bye bye to whatever's on when she's switching it off), change channels and how to change DVDs and which buttons to press. All without being taught (although she hasn't worked out specific channel numbers yet). It's brilliant in one way and she's definitely a clever little girl, but I am nevertheless waiting for the stereotypical toast-in-the-blu ray-player moment...

EDIT - YEARS. 2 and a half years!

Sorry - slip of the keyboard there...

It still impresses me, though.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 20/8/2012 1:56:13 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1152
RE: Kids and babies thread - 20/8/2012 2:04:02 PM   
jonson

At first I was thinking "ooh, 2 and a half years, that's not unusual" then I re-read it and saw MONTHS - fucking hell, she'll be playing the piano before she can walk

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 1153
RE: Kids and babies thread - 20/8/2012 3:19:04 PM   
lulu karma

My fiance's 11 year old was taken to a spa day for her birthday. Facial, manicure, pedicure, massage... What does an 11 year old need a massage for? Sort of wasteful and a bit weird to me. I don't get it.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1154
RE: Kids and babies thread - 20/8/2012 3:42:56 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Who was doing the massaging? That's got to be a bit weird.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 1155
RE: Kids and babies thread - 20/8/2012 3:50:27 PM   
lulu karma

It was a woman from what she said. The thing is, she is not a girly 11 year old. She likes being outside and getting her hands dirty. She enjoys not standing in front of the mirror worrying about her hair. That may come, but I think it may take longer than her older sister.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

Post #: 1156
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 28/8/2012 8:24:12 PM   
Brooksy84

So, what a 9 months as a daddy it's been so far. I feel compelled to say "it's flown by", such is customary in these circumstances, but to me that morning in theatre seems like a life time ago, especially when I think of everything she can do now compared to that tiny little thing who used to fall asleep in my arms.
She's crawling about like a pro (my day consists mainly of picking her up away from my books and the TV stand) and standing up with support, reckon she'll be walking in a couple of months if not sooner. One thing I am intrigued by is that she HATES being restricted in any way. Wiping her face or hands, getting her dressed, almost always results in a bit of a cry. She isn't a cuddly baby at all, the only time you'll get a proper cuddle from her is when she's knackered and it's nap time, and then it's a fight to see who tires first. That said she is very smiley and playful so I'm not concerned, but did/does anyone else find this with babies around the same age?

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1157
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 10/9/2012 3:38:48 PM   
benmharper

My little lady has started taking her first steps. It's funny watching g the big grin appear on her face as she stumbles towards her target. She also left a nice mark on me today, she sawing one of those hard thick card books and caught me beside my eye. I now have a nice red welt

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 1158
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 29/9/2012 9:29:21 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

She isn't a cuddly baby at all, the only time you'll get a proper cuddle from her is when she's knackered and it's nap time, and then it's a fight to see who tires first. That said she is very smiley and playful so I'm not concerned, but did/does anyone else find this with babies around the same age?

Ahh sounds like you're having a ball. I wouldn't worry both my kids are/were like this. My 3 year old was that way and my five month old is the same. The 5 month old hates getting dressed/undressed or having her nose wiped etc. There no bit of a cry either most of the time it's proper piss off shouting. She doesn't collapse in a milk flop anymore so if I'm holding her shes always grabbing my hair, face, clothes etc. No peaceful cuddles anymore. I get lots of smiles and giggling though. I seem to remember my son being the same. He still hard to get a cuddle out of although as soon as he's hurt himself or feeling a bit poorly its mummy cuddles all the way. I take it as a good sign, they're interested in the world and they know what they like

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 1159
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 7/10/2012 2:04:03 PM   
Brooksy84

She's slowly getting better. You get a bit more of a cuddle if you're playing on the floor for example.Still hates being restricted, if you try to wipe her face or hands she kicks up the biggest fuss you could imagine. All in all though she is a good girl, but she's gona be such a cheeky one when she's older. If you hand her a cuddly toy now she gives it a big, folded over cuddle and goes "ahhhhh". Never gets old

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 1160
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 25/4/2013 1:42:35 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

No new forum parents out there?

I can't believe my little lad is five already and my little girl will be three in a couple of months. No wonder they've left home before you even realise!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 1161
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 26/4/2013 12:56:01 PM   
Rebenectomy

I've just found out that I'm having another boy in August. My son was near convinced it was going to be a girl, but he seems ok with the idea that he's getting a brother now instead.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 1162
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 26/4/2013 1:12:51 PM   
Castor Troy

Yeah I'm gonna be a dad for the first come the end of October. Exciting times.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 1163
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 26/4/2013 1:23:53 PM   
matty_b

Congrats to both of you.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 1164
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 26/4/2013 1:26:05 PM   
Castor Troy

Rocky Wilcox is the mum.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 1165
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 26/4/2013 1:26:47 PM   
Rebenectomy

Congrats Castor, you're going to love it.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

Post #: 1166
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 26/4/2013 1:29:26 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Congatulations Castor!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 1167
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 26/4/2013 1:49:00 PM   
Fanboyslayer

Congrats guys!

Reb I was convinced my last baby was another boy so much so I only bothered thinking of one girls name. Guess what....yep a girl. My son has now put in a request for a brother. Once I explained it could just as easily be another sister he doesn't seem as keen Congratulations on having another little fella. Boys are awesome!

Oh and Castor I look forward to my invite to the baptism

< Message edited by Fanboyslayer -- 26/4/2013 1:50:16 PM >

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 1168
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 26/4/2013 2:48:11 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Yeah I'm gonna be a dad for the first come the end of October. Exciting times.

You took the hint!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 1169
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 27/6/2013 1:08:30 PM   
clownfoot

Another little person expected in September. A girl this time who hopefully will be less energetic and foolhardy than my two-and-a-half year old boy who charges around and climbs things like a lunatic. Trying to potty train him before the arrival which is all kinds of fun! His favourite films are Finding Nemo and The Princess Bride though, which means he's pretty much an awesome little dude.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 1170
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Kids and babies thread Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI