Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Kids and babies thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Kids and babies thread Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kids and babies thread - 16/4/2012 11:36:02 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: chewbacasnapsak

My kids are 6, and I'm looking to start reading something a bit more substantial to them at bedtimes, as much as I love stuff like Room On A Broom and Cat in the Hat.

Anyone got any suggestions? I was thinking of starting with the Narnia books.

War and Peace.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to chewbacasnapsak)
Post #: 1111
RE: Kids and babies thread - 17/4/2012 8:13:35 AM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: chewbacasnapsak

My kids are 6, and I'm looking to start reading something a bit more substantial to them at bedtimes, as much as I love stuff like Room On A Broom and Cat in the Hat.

Anyone got any suggestions? I was thinking of starting with the Narnia books.

I loathed Narnia as a kid - still do.

There are the Measle books by Ian Ogilvy, which my brother loved at that age (to be honest, all of us read them and enjoyed them) - the first is called Measle and the Wrathmonk. The main character is a boy called Measle who has a bad haircut, and there's wizards and warlocks and wrathmonks (warlocks gone bad). The first book is about Measle when he's living with his guardian Basil - when one of Measle's plans goes wrong, Basil shrinks him and puts him in a model train set. And the good thing is, there's five of them in the series, so if the first one's a hit, you can keep going. The only issue is they republished some of them under different titles which can be quite annoying to find.

Or there's the How to Train Your Dragon series - both my younger siblings loved them.

If your kids are girls, try Ballet Shoes (Noel Streatfeild). Cos that's amazing.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to chewbacasnapsak)
Post #: 1112
RE: Kids and babies thread - 17/4/2012 11:10:28 AM   
shool

Roald Dahl books

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 1113
RE: Kids and babies thread - 17/4/2012 11:16:57 AM   
steffols

Alice Adventures in Wonderland and Alice Through The Looking Glass? Make sure you get an edition with the original Tenneil drawings, they were with the first edition and are very much a part of the book as the words.

Both exceptional stories which they will no doubt enjoy up into their adult years like I still do.

< Message edited by steffols -- 17/4/2012 11:21:26 AM >

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 1114
RE: Kids and babies thread - 17/4/2012 12:17:49 PM   
Arron_

Having a child that is nearly four and a new born baby can be very hard work. I have so much respect for the wife looking after them whilst I'm at work. They're still both awesome.

I think the most lonely I've ever been is the night River was born. I had to go home at about 1am and Poppy was staying at her Nans house. I'd just had my first (biological) child and now I was all on my own. It was shit. I don't know why I typed that.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 1115
RE: Kids and babies thread - 6/5/2012 7:11:22 PM   
Harley Quinn

The Mr Gum books are worth a read, Narnia, Peter Pan, famous five are all excellent as well.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Arron_)
Post #: 1116
RE: Kids and babies thread - 11/5/2012 10:20:13 AM   
horribleives

Just been reading about 'modern' and 'extreme' parenting techniques in light of that Time magazine cover. Now I've got no kids myself (though I'm a pretty handy uncle) but surely chewing your toddler's food for them or breastfeeding a four year old is just plain wrong? Isn't it?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 1117
RE: Kids and babies thread - 11/5/2012 12:21:55 PM   
Funkyrae

I think so. My boy is now 10 weeks old, he's already teething. Damned if I'm going to carry on breastfeeding when those teeth come through!

As for chewing toddler's food - how are they supposed to learn to chew for themselves?

The whole thing is crazy. Health visitors have changed their minds over the last few years over whether it should be three, four, six or nine months you start weaning at. It's gone up and down and back again and there's conflicting advice everywhere. Babies are pretty good at deciding for themselves when they want solids. To be honest, my boy has already starting trying to grab my food so I gave him a half a rusk the other day. He quite happily sucked on that for a while.

That's me that is!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 1118
RE: Kids and babies thread - 11/5/2012 12:46:17 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Just been reading about 'modern' and 'extreme' parenting techniques in light of that Time magazine cover. Now I've got no kids myself (though I'm a pretty handy uncle) but surely chewing your toddler's food for them or breastfeeding a four year old is just plain wrong? Isn't it?

Was it a Ferenghi article?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 1119
RE: Kids and babies thread - 11/5/2012 1:10:45 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

No idea, it was a piece about the Time magazine cover (which I stumbled across while reading something unrelated on the, ahem, Daily Mail site) which linked to other articles about breastfeeding and another about Alicia Silverstone, who's clearly watched too many episodes of Psychoville.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 11/5/2012 1:12:40 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1120
RE: Kids and babies thread - 11/5/2012 1:20:39 PM   
clownfoot

For information the average worldwide age for weaning is four. What I've learned from the whole having children experience is that there is nothing wrong with mothers that want to breastfeed. Equally, there is nothing wrong with mothers that choose not to breastfeed.

Chewing your child's food though does kind of deny your little one from learning how to do this for themselves - although when weaning it should be purees that are first ingested, not a whole leg of chicken. I suppose if you haven't got a food processor then chewing your child's food into a mush would be appropriate when weaning though...

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 11/5/2012 1:21:21 PM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 1121
RE: Kids and babies thread - 11/5/2012 1:24:32 PM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

quote:

quote:

No idea, it was a piece about the Time magazine cover (which I stumbled across while reading something unrelated on the, ahem, Daily Mail site) which linked to other articles about breastfeeding and another about Alicia Silverstone, who's clearly watched too many episodes of Psychoville.

What the fuck! i'll have to read that. I've been made aware of breast feeding WAY too much to where the child is 7 years old or so. The mother was the one with the problem of letting go, which made for a horrible wee bastard of a child. But chewing a toddlers food? seriously I've noticed in Belfast that alot of parents still cart their kids around in a buggy 3+. I know it must make for convenience, but seriously the fat wee fucks need to walk and dander around, you can't molly coddle children for your own convenience or hang-ups. It makes for needy, bratty and unreasonable children.

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

Post #: 1122
RE: Kids and babies thread - 11/5/2012 6:56:20 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I'm just disappointed that the Ferenghi reference seems to have been ignored.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 1123
RE: Kids and babies thread - 11/5/2012 7:57:33 PM   
horribleives

quote:

I'm just disappointed that the Ferenghi reference seems to have been ignored.

Not so much 'ignored' as 'confused by'. I have no idea who or what Ferenghi is.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1124
RE: Kids and babies thread - 18/5/2012 9:43:04 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

I think so. My boy is now 10 weeks old, he's already teething. Damned if I'm going to carry on breastfeeding when those teeth come through!

As for chewing toddler's food - how are they supposed to learn to chew for themselves?

The whole thing is crazy. Health visitors have changed their minds over the last few years over whether it should be three, four, six or nine months you start weaning at. It's gone up and down and back again and there's conflicting advice everywhere. Babies are pretty good at deciding for themselves when they want solids. To be honest, my boy has already starting trying to grab my food so I gave him a half a rusk the other day. He quite happily sucked on that for a while.

Teeth is a deal breaker for me as well, ouch! I can understand the recommendation for 2 years in countries where good nutrition is difficult but where it isn't it's really for the mums and not the kids I think by that point. Each to their own though.

I started my son on solids at around 4 months even though the blimin health visitors made out like I was trying to poison him. He was clearly keen and more than ready. Not sure what I'll do with my four week old I guess she'll just inform me when she's ready like her big bro did. Quite happy to leave it as long as she likes making all those purees is pain in the backside.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 1125
RE: Kids and babies thread - 19/5/2012 3:08:57 AM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fanboyslayer

quote:

Teeth is a deal breaker for me as well, ouch! I can understand the recommendation for 2 years in countries where good nutrition is difficult but where it isn't it's really for the mums and not the kids I think by that point. Each to their own though.

I started my son on solids at around 4 months even though the blimin health visitors made out like I was trying to poison him. He was clearly keen and more than ready. Not sure what I'll do with my four week old I guess she'll just inform me when she's ready like her big bro did. Quite happy to leave it as long as she likes making all those purees is pain in the backside.

We did 'baby led weaning' . i agree, kiddie winks do let you know what they are ready for, if it be nutritional, social or educational. Our scamp just went nuts for food, and it was always fun letting him try different things. We used a steam veg like carrots and the like to start him off, and he loved it watching them eat spaghetti for the first time is a hoot also

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 1126
RE: Kids and babies thread - 19/5/2012 9:43:09 AM   
Funkyrae

Congrats by the way FBS. You slipped in there that you had your little girl.

That's me that is!

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 1127
RE: Kids and babies thread - 21/5/2012 12:49:54 PM   
great_badir

With the weaning, we had to let little lady badir make her own choice by default - she has tongue tie (we don't yet know if it will cause problems with her speech or not, but she seems to be coping fine with her vocab so far so hopefully not), which prevented her from latching onto the breast and feeding properly. So we just gave her the bottle with solids on display until she actively noticed them and started getting a bit more adventurous. Now there's VERY little she won't eat (although she has the attention span of Homer Simpson and is very easily distracted, so it's hard getting her to finish a whole meal sometimes). So, yeah - baby led weaning worked for us.

Anyway, the little lady is now a few months into her twosies and the wife and I are starting to wonder whether we should limit her TV watching. Basically, whenever we're all home and she doesn't want to go outside, play with her toys or paint or something, CBeebies (which is about the only thing on our TV screen during the day when we're all home) is the only thing that keeps her occupied and quiet.

So we've looked online and referred to numerous books and such, but pretty much everything suggests an hour of TV a day. Which, I think, is crazy.

Don't get me wrong - we don't just sit her in front of the TV and leave her to it all day, and we do go out a lot (the park, to see nanny and grampy, shopping swimming etc etc), but quite often the only thing she wants to do is watch CBeebies, and it is, literally, the only thing that stops her from throwing a three hour long shit-fit (it's happened on more than one occasion).

What's the general feeling on this?

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 1128
RE: Kids and babies thread - 21/5/2012 12:56:24 PM   
Funkyrae

I think there's a bit too much made of children sitting watching TV. While we had some incredible programmes when we were kids (Jamie & The Magic Torch & Chorlton and the Wheelies I'm pointing at you), they weren't the most educational of things. Now, virtually all of the programmes on CBeebies have been designed by educational psychologists and help stimulate children in all kinds of ways.

There's even a baby channel. Now I put this on the other day, just to check it out and what was on was pretty colours, lots of abstract shapes moving all around the screen to a woman playing Mozart. All the things to help a baby to focus and be stimulated.

Also, many of the CBeebies things (especially at your daughter's age level) have them up and jumping and moving about so she's still going to get her exercise. You're not talking about her being in front of the TV to the exclusion of all else, so I wouldn't panic about it too much. You'll probably find that she'll be singing along the alphabet or numbers with whatever she's watching.

That's me that is!

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 1129
RE: Kids and babies thread - 21/5/2012 12:57:17 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Anyway, the little lady is now a few months into her twosies and the wife and I are starting to wonder whether we should limit her TV watching. Basically, whenever we're all home and she doesn't want to go outside, play with her toys or paint or something, CBeebies (which is about the only thing on our TV screen during the day when we're all home) is the only thing that keeps her occupied and quiet.

So we've looked online and referred to numerous books and such, but pretty much everything suggests an hour of TV a day. Which, I think, is crazy.

Don't get me wrong - we don't just sit her in front of the TV and leave her to it all day, and we do go out a lot (the park, to see nanny and grampy, shopping swimming etc etc), but quite often the only thing she wants to do is watch CBeebies, and it is, literally, the only thing that stops her from throwing a three hour long shit-fit (it's happened on more than one occasion).

What's the general feeling on this?

My wee lass is the same, if she's in the living room there's cartoons on. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, we do plenty of other things as well. The only thing that does bother me is how close she stands to the bloody thing.

Post #: 1130
RE: Kids and babies thread - 21/5/2012 1:10:56 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, I don't think it's a bad thing. Jr likes to watch Wallace and Gromit on a morning - and will get through them all if he has the time - but it's more of a background thing, than anything else.

He'll wander round, chat to me, play with his toys and intersperse that with ten minute spells of actually sitting down and watching the TV.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1131
RE: Kids and babies thread - 21/5/2012 1:19:07 PM   
clownfoot

Is it just me or is Timmy Time fucking brilliant. The badger constantly 'honking' has me in fits of giggles...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 1132
RE: Kids and babies thread - 21/5/2012 1:27:57 PM   
great_badir

quote:

There's even a baby channel. Now I put this on the other day, just to check it out and what was on was pretty colours, lots of abstract shapes moving all around the screen to a woman playing Mozart. All the things to help a baby to focus and be stimulated.

Sounds a lot like the Baby Einstein DVDs we bought. She got bored of those very quickly and they didn't really hold her interest, I think because there was not quite enough going on for her.

And Chief, RE the standing close to the TV - ours was the same. She would move back if you told her, but then went back closer to it within a few minutes. What we did to get round that was get her a little toddler sized arm chair and placed it about 6-7 feet away from the TV. Two-fold success - she knows the chair is hers (so she feels a bit special when she's in it), and it's a bit too heavy for her to move, so it keeps her well away from the screen.

But yeah - thanks for that easing you two. Whilst many of the programs on CBeebies do annoy the hell out of me (Green Balloon Club is the worst - "awkward" Nature Chris and a group of kids I irrationally want to punch repeatedly), they do seem to be largely educational (and, I daresay, a LOT more consistently educational than 95% of pre-school stuff that was on in my day, most of which we now know was made by hippies who were high all the time), and yeah - she does indeed dance around to Justin's House, Show Me Show Me and Zingzillas. And Mister Maker has almost single-handedly taught her shapes and colours.

I myself am developing a bit of love for Nuzzle and Scratch - the ever-changing and unexplained names Nuzzle gives the Captain ("Captain Cheesecake-Face" is my favourite so far), and a shop that sells nothing but sponge fingers (called, natch, The Sponge Finger Shop) is a little bit of minor comedy genius, and there was one on the other day where they were both speaking to each other through walkie talkies despite being about five feet away from each other, which had me in laugh out loud stitches.

Anyway, rapid development is astounding me at the moment - show her or tell her once and, nine times out of ten, she picks it up straight away. She understands everything we say. Unfortunately terrible two belligerence often has the upper hand though!

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 1133
RE: Kids and babies thread - 25/5/2012 11:41:58 AM   
borstal

The worst job in the world has to be 'Justins camera man'.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

Post #: 1134
RE: Kids and babies thread - 25/5/2012 11:53:20 AM   
Chief

I can't stand that prick.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 1135
RE: Kids and babies thread - 25/5/2012 2:02:32 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Looking forward to seeing my son's face when I present him with the framed autograph from "Dr Grant". He's such a Jurassic Park nerd. He knows I met Sam Neill, but he's not seen the autograph addressed to him yet.

To balance things, fortuitously, a friend has given me her daughter's old pink "JD Bug" scooter, so that should keep my daughter from feeling left out at not getting an awesome autograph from a famous person. Instead, she gets a better scooter than her current one, and it'll be the same brand as her brother's. Sorted.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1136
RE: Kids and babies thread - 24/6/2012 9:19:13 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

Congrats by the way FBS. You slipped in there that you had your little girl.

Thanks Funky ! Still can't believe I have a little girl I was convinced I was having another boy. She's two months now, it's just flying by. Hows your little fella getting on?

As for the TV debate. My son loves cbeebies and it seems pretty educational these days. He seems to learn lots from it and I don't mind him watching it at all. He still does plenty of other things and I love TV too so I can't really take the moral high ground. The only time I start to ration it a bit is when he gets stroppy about being dragged away from it but then he's at an age where he goes mental over who takes his bloody socks off. I probably shouldn't let him watch The Simpsons though

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 1137
RE: Kids and babies thread - 11/7/2012 2:48:47 PM   
Funkyrae

He's doing grand. Coming up for 5 months now, managed to roll over on his own and is trying desperately to get his legs to support him to start crawling.

Although I could really do with some advice here. As I've just said, he's coming up for 5 months and he won't sleep through the night. I'm up with him around three times a night, he wants feeding every time he wakes up, it isn't just cuddles. We're weaning him, he's got a very healthy appetite for his solid food but through the night as well? I'm absolutely knackered. Between this and pregnancy insomnia, I haven't had a proper night's sleep for about 10 months now.

I've tried waking him for a feed just before I go to bed, all that has done is put off his usual waking up time by about an hour. I'm giving him the formula for hungrier babies but that's not doing anything either.

I'm desperate for sleep, while I've got to the stage I can cope with about 5 hours, I'm really struggling to function properly and things I need to do (course studying, writing and trying to get a business started) just aren't happening.

My daughter was fantastic and was sleeping through by about 10 weeks old.

Anyone any ideas? Ideas that don't involve completely ignoring him. 'Controlled crying' isn't something I can agree with, imo it teaches a child that their mother won't come when they cry, it gives them stress that has been proven to stay with them and it also gives them wind so causes pain.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 1138
RE: Kids and babies thread - 11/7/2012 3:03:23 PM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

He's doing grand. Coming up for 5 months now, managed to roll over on his own and is trying desperately to get his legs to support him to start crawling.

Although I could really do with some advice here. As I've just said, he's coming up for 5 months and he won't sleep through the night. I'm up with him around three times a night, he wants feeding every time he wakes up, it isn't just cuddles. We're weaning him, he's got a very healthy appetite for his solid food but through the night as well? I'm absolutely knackered. Between this and pregnancy insomnia, I haven't had a proper night's sleep for about 10 months now.

I've tried waking him for a feed just before I go to bed, all that has done is put off his usual waking up time by about an hour. I'm giving him the formula for hungrier babies but that's not doing anything either.

I'm desperate for sleep, while I've got to the stage I can cope with about 5 hours, I'm really struggling to function properly and things I need to do (course studying, writing and trying to get a business started) just aren't happening.

My daughter was fantastic and was sleeping through by about 10 weeks old.

Anyone any ideas? Ideas that don't involve completely ignoring him. 'Controlled crying' isn't something I can agree with, imo it teaches a child that their mother won't come when they cry, it gives them stress that has been proven to stay with them and it also gives them wind so causes pain.

I didn't know it had a name ! we were lucky with Shuggs, he is a great sleeper but after a couple of times of going up and seeing him i just let him bawl for a bit. he would go to sleep in the end, but sitting there waiting did make me feel shitty, i just didn't want him getting used to us rushing to him all the time ( i will add that he wasn't as young as yours). I read somewhere not to pick them up and not talk to them ( but as a parent you know when to if you can sense theres something actually wrong). What i did ( and still do with my nephew) is rub their back and have a quiet 'shush'. They resist a wee bit but they go down in the end. The fact your wee man wants a feed at those times is pretty impressive though, did you give birth to Finn McCoole?

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 11/7/2012 3:05:47 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 1139
RE: Kids and babies thread - 11/7/2012 9:10:16 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

did you give birth to Finn McCoole?

Bloody feels like it! The fact that he's as strong as he is makes me wonder.

That's me that is!

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Kids and babies thread Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI