Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Kids & Babies Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Kids & Babies Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:23:38 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

What an absolutely fantastic thread! It's reassuring I now have somewhere to come if I ever need some advice from fellow Mum and Dads as me and the Mrs are expecting our first baby on the 2nd February. More than looking forward to it, I've already arranged 2 months off work immediatly after the birth so I can support the Mrs and hopefully get off to the best of starts. She's going on maternity leave as of Christmas and I don't think she can wait, work are being absolute pigs with her since she told them she was pregnant.

I'm currently in the process of turning our spare room (which hasn't been decorated since we moved in here nearly three years ago) into a nursery, well, in all honesty I've only just managed to empty it (nearly). Isn't it amazing how much shit you hoard in such a little amount of time. Travel System is bought, Cotbed is arriving tomorrow, large chest of drawers should be here within 35 days and the Mrs has started buying all the other things we need, the mind boggles.

So much to do, so little time........still got another scan on the 27th to look forward to!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 61
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:23:52 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

Ahh he'll be fine.  All nursery teachers say the same thing.  The kiddies cry when they get dropped off and are fine by the time their parents have gone past the door!  They usually cry again as soon as the parents come to get them as they're having too much fun!

Oops, no sorry I meant the Nursery - as in his own room.
Doesn't start at day Nursery till April next year.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 62
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:28:53 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

I've already arranged 2 months off work immediatly after the birth

Congrats mate... blimey 2 months. You lucky git.
My Bank gave me 2 extra weeks - then I took a weeks holiday so 3 altogether but it still flew by quicker than any other holiday I've know
and we didn't even go anywhere!
You're right though.... there is loads of gear to buy, it's quite daunting when you think about it, I'd stock up on nappies if you can!?
It's been 8 weeks now and we're still using our stock pile.

May I also just say  (at the risk of starting a mini-debate) that I think Huggies are far superior to Pampers - the side padding is much
better and help keep all the gooey stuff inside if you know what I mean?

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 19/9/2007 1:29:42 PM >

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 63
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:29:55 PM   
Funkyrae

Sorry, my misunderstanding.

My daughter went into her own room at 3 months.  Mainly because she was too big to fit into the Moses basket that I had beside my bed (at 10 1/2lb she was always too big for it really) so she had to go into her own cot for safety reasons.

She had more fun when she got her first bed though.  She was doing perfect starfish impressions.  She now has her own double bed and manages to take up all the room in that too.  Although the amount of cuddly toys and dolls she has on it, I'm surprised she fits!

That's me that is!

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 64
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:35:27 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

My daughter went into her own room at 3 months.  Mainly because she was too big to fit into the Moses basket that I had beside my bed (at 10 1/2lb she was always too big for it really) so she had to go into her own cot for safety reasons.

She had more fun when she got her first bed though.  She was doing perfect starfish impressions.  She now has her own double bed and manages to take up all the room in that too.  Although the amount of cuddly toys and dolls she has on it, I'm surprised she fits!

Yeah, he is already getting a bit big for his moses basket.... about 11lbs now so we're going to try him in his own room (still in the basket for now next week)but the reason is he love makes gurgling noises to get himself off to sleep - it was amusing for a couple of weeks but now it's getting difficult to get to sleep. (Bless him)
When he's big enough he'll move into his cotbed - we went a bit OTT on his furniture, it's all Mamas and Papas but it's good stuff and I love the nifty way the cot turns into a bed - he'll be able to sleep in it up till about the age of 4. (we'll just update the mattress)

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 19/9/2007 1:36:08 PM >

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 65
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:37:26 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: KennyM

Anyhoo, I wonder how Bob's sex-ed video went?

Looking back at his original post, it's tonight at 6pm   Looks like we're all waiting to hear how it went....

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 66
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:40:11 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

Yeah, he is already getting a bit big for his moses basket.... about 11lbs now so we're going to try him in his own room (still in the basket for now next week)but the reason is he love makes gurgling noises to get himself off to sleep - it was amusing for a couple of weeks but now it's getting difficult to get to sleep. (Bless him)
When he's big enough he'll move into his cotbed - we went a bit OTT on his furniture, it's all Mamas and Papas but it's good stuff and I love the nifty way the cot turns into a bed - he'll be able to sleep in it up till about the age of 4. (we'll just update the mattress)

You posh bastard.

YFU, you're worried you dont have enough time?! Yours is due 3 weeks after ours and you're already ahead of us if you've got the spare room emptied!!!

When did other people have the nursery ready and stuff bought etc?

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 67
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:41:47 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

quote:

Awww it's so sweet!!

My daughter had one of those Ikea beds that are meant to last forever.  One of those ones that you can lower the headboard and footboard to make it into a full sized bed.

When I said 10 1/2 lb, that's what she was at birth.  She was too big for those hospital goldfish bowl things that they put them in and wheel them around in.  Although she was too big for the Moses basket she seemed tiny as soon as I put her into the cot.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 68
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:47:26 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

You posh bastard.

Half price in the January sales....

quote:

Well to be honest, I'm one of lifes worriers.
He was due at the start of August and I had everything in place (nursery wise) by end of May.
The only thing we didn't have in the house was the pram (superstition) but once the 6 month worry period was over
everything went into place - new carpet, furniture, decorating, blackout blind + curtains... we went with the Bear range from
Toy r us. http://www.toysrus.co.uk/framestatic.aspx/buyersguides/bedding/bedding.htm?zone=Bru

Quite neutral.... even the bloody light shade was from that range!

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 69
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:48:38 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

When I said 10 1/2 lb, that's what she was at birth.

I imagine that stung a little...

Well done all the same....

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 70
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:49:26 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

About 3 weeks before if I remember rightly. We painted the bedroom yellow and light blue as we weren't sure what we were having.
The mother-in-law bought a pram as soon as the missus was preggers, but being women they never realised it wouldn't go in the boot of the Fiesta we had at the time.
I think the rest of the stuff was hand-me-downs to be honest, we were quite fortunate as my sister had young kids at the time, and even better, she is posher than me so our little one was decked out in Kenzo.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 71
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:58:38 PM   
Funkyrae

I  was painting my daughter's room with a bump that seemed to be bigger than the room itself.  So the room was still being worked on when I was about 8 months gone.  I didn't go for neutrals in the room, I didn't know I was having a girl so we went with a whole Winnie The Pooh theme in the room.  The carpet was green, the skirting board got painted a grass green, there were flowers half way up the room and the rest was painted sky blue with a few little white clouds here and there.  She had some Winnie The Pooh pictures on the walls.  Pale blue curtains and her furniture was painted the same pale blue.  The furniture was all handouts from family though so was in major need of a repaint.

I think the room was ready about two weeks before she was born.  I'm too superstitious.

That's me that is!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 72
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 2:04:29 PM   
Felix

quote:

I think the room was ready about two weeks before she was born.  I'm too superstitious.

Thats whats holding me back. I dont want to make a start too early just in case.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 73
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 2:05:56 PM   
Funkyrae

I've known a few parents that haven't done anything on a nursery (apart from getting the stuff) until the baby is born.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 74
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 2:36:47 PM   
homersimpson_esq

my daughter starts private nursery next week, and is having 'settling in' sessions this week, Left her for about 45 mins today. She wouldn't let get when I got there, but I sat her down, got an apron on her with the other children and she was engrossed with playdoh. I slipped out without her noticing. NB: Normally I don't condone that - if you always sneak out then it feels to them that you're abandoning them. I usually make sure that I say goodbye, and that I'd be back later. Still, she's in for a full session tomorrow, so fingers crossed. Once I'd gone, she was a little distressed, but quickly calmed down and was involved with the play with the other children.

I'm so glad that I get the childcare grant... 85% discount on the fees, so I don't have to pay the full 124 a week...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 75
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 2:40:45 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

my daughter starts private nursery next week, and is having 'settling in' sessions this week, Left her for about 45 mins today. She wouldn't let get when I got there, but I sat her down, got an apron on her with the other children and she was engrossed with playdoh. I slipped out without her noticing. NB: Normally I don't condone that - if you always sneak out then it feels to them that you're abandoning them. I usually make sure that I say goodbye, and that I'd be back later. Still, she's in for a full session tomorrow, so fingers crossed. Once I'd gone, she was a little distressed, but quickly calmed down and was involved with the play with the other children.

I'm so glad that I get the childcare grant... 85% discount on the fees, so I don't have to pay the full 124 a week...

Was just pricing one up this morning 44.50 a day....
Mind you that's the first one I've called.
Will be 3 days a week when the missus goes back to work.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 76
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 2:43:31 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

People had their nursery ready before their children were born? When my son was born our nursery was a storage room. Remained so till we moved a few months later!

Different house again, but still when my daughter was born, the 'box room' (it's bleeding tiny) was a storage room. Got it sorted a few months afterwards tho. There's no real rush, because they stay with you for the first few months anyway.

Kudos to those who are well sorted tho. It can only reduce future stress!!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 77
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 3:04:28 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

Thats whats holding me back. I dont want to make a start too early just in case.

We painted Millie's room about 3 months before she was born and then got the furniture bit by bit. 

It was all ready with about a fortnight to go but the door was always closed.
There is something really spooky about a baby's bedroom all kitted out but no baby.   Even the Winnie-the-pooh nightlight song had an eerie sound to it.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 78
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 3:11:35 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

The only thing we didn't have in the house was the pram (superstition) but once the 6 month worry period was over
everything went into place - new carpet, furniture, decorating, blackout blind + curtains... we went with the Bear range from
Toy r us. http://www.toysrus.co.uk/framestatic.aspx/buyersguides/bedding/bedding.htm?zone=Bru

Quite neutral.... even the bloody light shade was from that range!

That's what the Mrs has chosen 'I love my bear'. Infact i just put an order in yesterday for most of the stuff:

Bedding Set inc Musical Bump thingy
Curtains
Jingle Ball
Cuddly Rabbit
3 Rolls of Border
'Babies Room' Hanger for door
3 x Wallhangers
Cot Drapes and stand
Musical Mobile
Bunny Ear hooded towel thingy

150ish quid, didn't think that was too bad, they've got a buy 3 get the cheapest free offer on. Infact I got the cotbed from Babies R Us aswell

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/BruHome/BruSpecialOffers/BruSpecialOffersNurseryFurniture/729531
10 off and half price spring matress aswell.

And seen as we didn't have any storage in the spare room we needed a wardrobe/drawers or something and we plucked for this, it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it will certainly get the job done and it was pretty cheap in the sale, was 109, seems to have gone back up since Friday though

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6416234.htm

We went for the Pilko Pramette from Mamas and Papas, I thought it was quite expensive at nearly 400 but it's the one she wanted, and to be honest it's a quality piece of equipment, it's currently residing at my mums house!

quote:

YFU, you're worried you dont have enough time?! Yours is due 3 weeks after ours and you're already ahead of us if you've got the spare room emptied!!!

I just thought that the sooner I get it done the better, seen as the Mrs will be getting bigger and bigger I'll probably spend most of my time (when I'm not at work) looking after her.

quote:

Congrats mate... blimey 2 months. You lucky git.
My Bank gave me 2 extra weeks - then I took a weeks holiday so 3 altogether but it still flew by quicker than any other holiday I've know
and we didn't even go anywhere!

Yeah, I'm taking 4 weeks paternity leave, 2 weeks holiday and a further 2 weeks unpaid holiday. Those 4 extra days holiday entitlement for next year have sure come in handy thanyou Mr Brown!

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 79
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 3:24:31 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

they've got a buy 3 get the cheapest free offer on. Infact I got the cotbed from Babies R Us aswell

Cool... is that still on?

Bedding Set inc Musical Bump thingy - yep!
Curtains - yep! (the tie backs are cute)
Jingle Ball - yep!
Cuddly Rabbit - yep!
3 Rolls of Border - we got a different border
'Babies Room' Hanger for door - yep!
3 x Wallhangers - nope, going to get some hook for the door though.
Cot Drapes and stand - yep!
Musical Mobile - yep!
Bunny Ear hooded towel thingy - nope?

we also got the matching lampshade and the pocket things that hang over the got... oh and a bear nappy stacker.

Post #: 80
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 3:33:25 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I was looking at that cot tidy, decided against it though seen as you have to take it off as soon as they can sit up anyway, then what am I supposed to do with it

It's on until the 4th October I think Matt

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 81
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 3:36:03 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Have you received your gooner stuff you ordered that you are going to dress the poor mite in YFU?

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 82
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 3:36:32 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Yeah, I'm taking 4 weeks paternity leave, 2 weeks holiday and a further 2 weeks unpaid holiday. Those 4 extra days holiday entitlement for next year have sure come in handy thanyou Mr Brown!

Blimey, are you made of money?!

At our place we get two weeks at the standard paternity rate, or 3 days full pay, plus whatever holiday we want to use. Probably wont be able to afford the drop in wages that 2 weeks at paternity pay would involve, so will take the 3 days and then as much holiday as I can.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 83
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 3:45:03 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Have you received your gooner stuff you ordered that you are going to dress the poor mite in YFU?

Yeah! It arrived last week! You gotta love it! Can't wait to slip the little nipper into his first Arsenal kit

The Mrs bought a cheeky top from Next the other day aswell, it's a little red thing with ' My Cot, 2am, Bring a bottle!" written in white, made me laugh at least.

quote:

Blimey, are you made of money?!

At our place we get two weeks at the standard paternity rate, or 3 days full pay, plus whatever holiday we want to use. Probably wont be able to afford the drop in wages that 2 weeks at paternity pay would involve, so will take the 3 days and then as much holiday as I can. 

I've got a bit stashed away so if I need to I'll just dip into that, I'd just rather be at home than at work and seen as I'm lucky enough to have the option, then that's what I'm gonna do. It's poxy paternity pay though isn't it? 112p/w is no good to anyone in this day and age really. I'm a member of a health club via work aswell, I pay 6 a week and it covers health issues etc and if I ever have to go into hospital etc, well I just realised last week that you get a birth grant of 1200 when your child is born and 75 for each night the Mrs is in hospital. That was a pleasant suprise and it'll cover some of the wages I lose when I'm off.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 84
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 3:47:02 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

Yeah! It arrived last week! You gotta love it! Can't wait to slip the little nipper into his first Arsenal kit

Such blatant cruelty.....

Post #: 85
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 3:50:26 PM   
Felix

quote:

I just realised last week that you get a birth grant of 1200 when your child is born and 75 for each night the Mrs is in hospital. That was a pleasant suprise and it'll cover some of the wages I lose when I'm off.

Blimey, can anyone join?!

We're quite lucky as Mrs F is a teacher, and they're letting her start her maternity leave after the Christmas holidays, so it lasts longer.

quote:

The Mrs bought a cheeky top from Next the other day aswell, it's a little red thing with ' My Cot, 2am, Bring a bottle!" written in white, made me laugh at least.

There are some fantastic shops in Brighton for baby tees. My favourite one is "Mamma ain't raisin' no fool"

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 86
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 3:52:08 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

quote:

Pfft, gotta get the little guy off to a winning start, he'll only be about 3months old when Arsenal are crowned Premiership Champions.......

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 87
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 3:57:21 PM   
Felix

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pfft, gotta get the little guy off to a winning start, he'll only be about 3months old when Arsenal are crowned Premiership Champions.......

Never realised you were into Cryogenics...

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 88
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 6:44:13 PM   
KennyM

Didn't quite have Ellie's room ready for her when she was born. She was twelve weeks early though (and a tiny 2lb 3oz), so by the time she was ready to come home we had got pretty much prepared. We also put her in her own room quite early and subsequently moved her into her own bed early too. She loves her own room now and we have no probs getting her to bed.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 89
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 6:46:30 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Wow!  12 weeks early?    Sounds like everything is fine now thankfully

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Kids & Babies Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI