Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Kids & Babies Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Kids & Babies Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 17/9/2007 4:16:55 PM   
KennyM

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

We stick it on now and she says "it's quite good Daddy, but not as good as OK Computer"

For God sake Jonson, you might have taught her properly. The Bends is better than OK Computer!

Next you'll be sayin she likes Morning Glory better than Definetly Maybe

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 31
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 17/9/2007 4:48:48 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Good words Jonson... I can't recall any specific music while mrs homer was pregnant with my son, but I was listening to some chili peppers on headphones, and my son asks me what I'm listening to. So I pop the headphones on his little 2 yr old head, and he cocks his head to the side. He would have carried on listening, but I was missing the song myself...!

I'm totally against the 'wrap them in cotton wool' style of parenting. If they have dirt on their hands, then they have dirt on their hands. Boosts the immune system! We took him to one of those baby music groups (only went once - very cliquey group of older mothers...). He toddled off to get a little percussion instrument, but he was later than the other toddlers, and the leader had pushed it back under a table slightly. As he stood up with his tambourine, he banged his head. There was a silence, an in take of break from the other mothers as they waited for the waterworks. He looked at me, waiting to gauge my response. I said, 'Come here you silly sausage. Did you bang your head?' in a light-hearted way. He laughed, and ran back.
Now, I can imagine ordinarily there might be a 'oooh, are you ok my precious?' (only, not in a gollum voice), and having seen an extreme response, the toddler responds accordingly; by bursting into great heaving sobs. The looks I got from the mothers, seeing him run back laughing, were priceless...

Same trick still works with my daughter.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 32
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 17/9/2007 5:08:34 PM   
clarabell

Awww, what a lovely thread!

I have no children of my own so can;t speak from that experience, but I;ve just spent the past 8 months working in a private childcare facility and I loved every second of it (well maybe not EVERY second, as there were inevitably some pretty gross moments).  I worked with kids aged 7 months to 12 years and every child had a fantastic little personality, and I grew very attatched to some of them.

I was "key worker" for three children in particular.  Two brothers aged 2 and 3, and a little girl who will turn 2 very soon.  The boys came on in leaps and bounds during my time at the nursery - it was fantastic seeing them become better behaved and more polite little boys (they came to us as little horrors ho couldn;t be controlled).  The youngest of the two was very attached to me, and he used to follow me around shouting my name.  I would answer and he would just grin at me.  The little girl I looked after would take my hand and make me go wherever she was going, or make me sit beside her.  She even tried to take me home a couple of times and cried when i didn't.

In the last two weeks before I left I was looking after a little 8 month old special needs baby, who was absolutely beautiful.  It was the world's best feeling making him laugh.  Even though I was just being a nutter and making stupid noises he used to laugh more with me than anyone else and I was addicted to hearing him giggle.

The advice I would give from being a nursery assistant rather than a parent would be to just have fun with the kids - they respond so much better to you if you get down on your hands and knees and interact with them and make them laugh and squeal.  I saw all sorts of family backgrounds and different children at work and it was easy to see which parents had the better relationships with their kids.

I would also advise that you install a good routine and discipline in kids at an early age.  I know that sounds no fun, but even simple things like manners and rules make life so much easier.  At our nursery, if children misbehaved they were given "quiet time" which is another version of the naughty step and had to apologise to whomever necessary.  They also had to ask to get down from the dinner table, and simple pleases and thank yous were always expected.  Doing this helps with social and behaviour skills, and makes it so much easier for other people looking after your children.  I know that I much preferred looking after well behaved kids than the ones with no manners who were little shits.

And whatever you do, don;t give in to tantrums

When I die, bury me up-side down, so the world can kiss my ass

Just because the fucker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda!

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 33
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 17/9/2007 5:09:18 PM   
MOTH

Some thoughts after a year of child-rearing

Childbirth
A humbling experience. Frankly, men are shit and women are pretty amazing.

Early Days
Babies are a bit like drunk students - they vomit, they wake you up in the night, sometimes you have to console them and they can't really talk or stand very well. Only difference is the nappy.

Wiping up shit is actually not that big a deal

You'll not actually be up all night - it just seems that way sometimes, and you know what? - seeing the sun come up is kinda cool.

Reflux? Colic? Baby Zantac is yer only man - worked for my stomach after too much drink - it'll work for the baby too.

After a while
Routine is the key - establish that and you get back some order in your life.

Amazingly you'll actually start to know the difference between a hungry cry, a sore cry and a tired cry

The speed babies learn and grow at is nothing short of astonishing.

Teething must be damn sore.

At the weekend, take it in turns to get up in the morning - that way you'll get one lie-in a week to recharge the batteries

If you like football, you'll probably see the Sunday morning repeat of Match of the Day more often than the 'live' Saturday night version.

The unconditional love and trust of a baby for its parents is truly touching

Out and about
Your baby's cry will always seem louder to you than it really is.

It's a bit weird going into a baby changing room for the first time.

You'll secretly enjoy pushing a pram but you'll try to look manly doing it.

Sadly, trips to the cinema will be few and far between.

If in doubt, car trips put babies to sleep in minutes.

Random thoughts
From a selfish point of view, parenting is a remakrably stupid thing to do - if an adult came round your house, shit themselves, cried, woke you up in the night and demanded food, you'd call the police. But instead, we grin and bear it....madness.

But if you share the responsibility for all the little jobs, it's not too bad at all.

Don't compare you or your baby to others - do what suits you best.

I'm only a beginner at this lark, but I get the feeling this could be the most worthwhile thing I've ever done.

MOTH's final thought
It'll change your life, that's for sure!

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 34
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 17/9/2007 8:55:53 PM   
Felix

Fantastic post MOTH

Personally, January can't come quick enough.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 35
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 12:49:48 AM   
Sahara Desert

I've never had any children (and certainly don't plan to) but I have a tip from when I looked after my nephew many years ago (the blighter's thirteen now and it's gone very fast): when cradling a baby to sleep, have a small or medium-sized beanbag on your lap to rest your arms on. It will make you less tense from holding the baby (who will start to feel like it weighs a tonne!) and help support the baby too.

Oh yeah, and it helps if you're one of those types who's naturally really good at cradling babies to sleep. Which I am. *smug*

@thesaharadesert

Smug Animals

Mine!

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 36
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 8:02:36 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sahara Desert

it helps if you're one of those types who's naturally really good at cradling babies to sleep. Which I am. *smug*

quote:

I've never had any children (and certainly don't plan to)

Those statements seem to almost contradict each other...

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Sahara Desert)
Post #: 37
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 9:13:43 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

Some thoughts after a year of child-rearing

Childbirth
A humbling experience. Frankly, men are shit and women are pretty amazing.

Early Days
Babies are a bit like drunk students - they vomit, they wake you up in the night, sometimes you have to console them and they can't really talk or stand very well. Only difference is the nappy.

Wiping up shit is actually not that big a deal

You'll not actually be up all night - it just seems that way sometimes, and you know what? - seeing the sun come up is kinda cool.

Reflux? Colic? Baby Zantac is yer only man - worked for my stomach after too much drink - it'll work for the baby too.

After a while
Routine is the key - establish that and you get back some order in your life.

Amazingly you'll actually start to know the difference between a hungry cry, a sore cry and a tired cry

The speed babies learn and grow at is nothing short of astonishing.

Teething must be damn sore.

At the weekend, take it in turns to get up in the morning - that way you'll get one lie-in a week to recharge the batteries

If you like football, you'll probably see the Sunday morning repeat of Match of the Day more often than the 'live' Saturday night version.

The unconditional love and trust of a baby for its parents is truly touching

Out and about
Your baby's cry will always seem louder to you than it really is.

It's a bit weird going into a baby changing room for the first time.

You'll secretly enjoy pushing a pram but you'll try to look manly doing it.

Sadly, trips to the cinema will be few and far between.

If in doubt, car trips put babies to sleep in minutes.

Random thoughts
From a selfish point of view, parenting is a remakrably stupid thing to do - if an adult came round your house, shit themselves, cried, woke you up in the night and demanded food, you'd call the police. But instead, we grin and bear it....madness.

But if you share the responsibility for all the little jobs, it's not too bad at all.

Don't compare you or your baby to others - do what suits you best.

I'm only a beginner at this lark, but I get the feeling this could be the most worthwhile thing I've ever done.

MOTH's final thought
It'll change your life, that's for sure!

Moth that reminds me almost word for word of my own experiences. Spot on, great post.

I still can't reiterate enough how much time and attenion you should pay them.
Someone once told me you spend the first year of a baby's life wishing it would walk and talk, then you spend the next 10 years telling them to sit down and shut up.

Funnily enough I was thinking about this thread on the way home last night. I was listening to the news on the radio and all talk seemed to be about missing Maddie, Colin McRae (and his little son and friend) and also the air crash in Thailand. I pulled up outside my house and girls ran out to meet me. One of them had passed a flute exam and the other had been made a seconder in Brownies. You'd think they'd won the lottery they were that chuffed. My youngest couldn't eat her dinner as her face was in a contorted smile all night. That's what life is all about and to a certain extent that's why we should keep them innocent and young as long as we can. I couldn't helkp but feel blessed when I saw them. Parenthood is a blessing, a stroke of luck, a God-given joy and one that shouldn't ever be taken for granted.
Kids grow up too fast, it's a fact. My 10 year old already has no shame in announcing she fancies Corbin Bleu and Orlando Bloom, she tells me she wants her belly button pierced and when I sometimes take her to school, she'll happily hold my hand up to the point of seeing a bunch of boys standing there. Then she tries to act cool and gets mightily embarassed when I put on a limp. (another note of advice to Dads. If you have a daughter it is your duty to embarass them in front of their friends )

Tomorrow: how to use your kids to smuggle drugs into the country

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 38
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 10:22:23 AM   
Sinatra

Awesome posts guys.... most notably Moth and me old mate Jonson.

quote:

I'm a  bit busy at the minute, but I could ramble about how wonderful kids are all day. My life would be incomplete without them, a bad day at work is soon forgotten about when your own child throws their arms around you. My girls are 10 and 8 and I'm still met at the door with a smile, a kiss and a cuddle.
One day my wife tells me that that won't be the case and I fear that day more than I fear my own demise, but hey, I might have grandchildren by then.
However much they wind you up, however much you have a bad day at work, my only advice is to love them as much as you possibly can, and more importantly, let them know it.
I never let my kids go to bed without them knowing I'm there to love and to protect them.
I'm not talking about wrapping them in cotton wool (which I'm afraid we all do to a certain extent) I'm talking about making them feel wanted and secure.
Just for God's sake enjoy them, as the cliche about them growing up quickly is painfully, painfully true.

That brought back a lot of feelings for me.
When I divorced from my first wife I really can't explain just how devastated I was at not being able to kiss them goodnight every night. (It was actually the reason I started posting on here) My eldest for still only 7 and my youngest was 4. It was gut wrenching and took the best part of a year before I could get to sleep without crying or nearly crying at just the thought of not being there all the time - and believe me I'm not exaggerating. That's why when I read Jonson's post above it really hit home because he obviously cares about his daughters in exactly the same fashion as I do about mine.
But hey, I'm lucky compared to most men in my situation - I see them 4 days a week and get to kiss them goodnight once a week.... they both have mobiles so I call them whenever I wish.... but still, there's always a nagging feeling.... I always glance at their bedroom each night before I go to sleep - wishing I could just check on them myself.

Anyways....

Everything Moth said hit home perfectly - and there are lots more examples too.
It's been nearly 10 years since my youngest daughter was born and now 2 months since my son was born and yet the experience feels completely fresh again?
Some things came back straight away, nappy changing, holding him and burping him, the fantastic baby smells (as well as the unsavoury ones) the fastening of the baby suits - that used to give me trouble when I first had the girls etc...

It does seem harder work than I remembered but then I guess I'm that much older now... it's all soooo worth it though - especially as yesterday he started smiling at us for the first time.
What a feeling that was. Another tip from me is to make sure you treat yourself (if you haven't already got one) to a digital camcorder and a decent digital camera - because you just can't get enough snaps of them at first.

I thought it was interesting that music has been mentioned - we really made a concentrated effort to play music to our son when he was still inside his Mum - mostly Mr Sinatra, but also Michael Buble, Rod Stewart and The Feeling. In fact we took CD's into the delivery suit and he was born to Rod Stewart's American Songbook Vol2!
Now when I play Sinatra in the car or at home he seems to calm down straight away if he's upset... it really does work!? 
(Maybe he's just amazed at how dated his Dad's music taste is)

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 39
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 10:25:17 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

I thought it was interesting that music has been mentioned - we really made a concentrated effort to play music to our son when he was still inside his Mum - mostly Mr Sinatra, but also Michael Buble, Rod Stewart and The Feeling. In fact we took CD's into the delivery suit and he was born to Rod Stewart's American Songbook Vol2!
Now when I play Sinatra in the car or at home he seems to calm down straight away if he's upset... it really does work!? 
(Maybe he's just amazed at how dated his Dad's music taste is)

Fuck me, thats classed as child abuse isnt it? Poor sod!

I'm surprised he didnt want to climb back in!

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 40
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 10:30:51 AM   
Sinatra

It was a lovely moment actually.... 

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 41
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 10:32:06 AM   
Felix

Ours is going to be born to 'Baby Got Back' by Sir Mixalot...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 42
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 10:34:12 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Ours is going to be born to 'Baby Got Back' by Sir Mixalot...

I thought you'd be going with this....

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 43
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 10:40:21 AM   
Felix

No, we'll play that whenever we start interview nannies though...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 44
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 1:06:02 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Here's something for you would-be Dads

Bringing Up Baby
Tuesday 25 September
9:00pm - 10:00pm
Channel 4

Four-part series which explores three of the 20th Century's most famous childcare manuals and follows six young families as they put the their theories into practice. Three experienced experts will accompany the families as they apply the vastly differing methods from the 50's, 60's and 70's to the first three months of their babies' lives.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 45
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 2:05:42 PM   
clarabell

As much as I love kids and looking after them, I'm just not ready for a child of my own right now.  Being only 21, I doubt this comes as a surprise to anyone.  I'm pretty confident I could look after a child properly, I just feel too young to have that responsibility.  So, it really strikes me as odd just how broody some of my female friends are.  These girls are the same age as me, or a year older, and I can name at least three of them who are desperate for kids now.  I get all silly around babies and act like a nutter to make them laugh and think they're adorable, but that's as far as it goes.  One of my friends in particular really longs for a baby. So much so, that she visited her cousin's new born the other day and came out the hospital crying.  It honestly wouldn;t surprise me if she lets a random bloke knock her up so so she can have a baby of her own.

She has her reasons for this.  Including a suspected miscarriage last year, and being around babies through family and friends a lot of the time, but I really don;t think she properly knows what she's longing for.  I know that might sound like I'm labelling her as stupid and not thinking things through - she is an adult afterall.  But a conversation with her about babies not that long ago made me think she's got some sort of fantasy about being a mum.  We were talking about the babies at my work, and I was telling her about the special needs baby I looked after.  I personally think he's one of the most beautiful babies I've ever seen, and I was telling her so.  He's slightly facially deformed - with one cheek being bigger than the other, and he has a flat side of his head as well, where he always lies on it.  I was talking to my friend about how this is a common occurance these days, and how you see lots of kids wearing helmets to correct it, and how it;s just that the soft bone changes shape easily, but it can be corrected (often happens naturally as well).  She started joking about "squinty" head babies, and how if her kid is born like that she'd put it up for adoption.  She just couldn;t understand that this was a totally normal thing to happen, and that a "squint" head on your baby could be the least of your problems.  I got angry - made me think that she is just totally desperate for a beautiful baby and this fantasy of being a mum and getting to dress a kid and everything.  If she really wanted to be a mum, then she should be willing to have a child in any shape or size and love it unconditionally

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 46
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 2:23:35 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Nice to read about children taking musical instruments. How old is the one playing the flute, Jonson? And which grade is she at?

The day we took our son home (C-Section, so it was a few days...) I 'sat' him at the piano, supporting his head, and playing a few notes for him. Did it again a few weeks later, and again after a few months. When he was sitting up on his own, we noticed that if you sat him at a table, he had this urge to bang on it with his hands. So I put him at the piano again. If I could describe his face when he automatically hit at the 'table' with his hands, and had a musical response from the notes, rather than just a 'bang' from the table...! We have one of those little electronic keyboards shaped like a grand piano, from the ELC that my folks bought them both last christmas. But I'm also intermittently teaching my son the piano properly. I was 4 when I started to learn, so it seemed a fitting age, especially since he is so responsive to the instrument. When he was about 3 he sat at it and started banging the bottom notes loudly. He turned to me and said, 'I'm playing thunder'. I was gobsmacked. To transmit a thing like thunder into a musical form was brilliant, in my eyes. He's still only just grasping the different notes, but his willingness to learn is great.
My folks also rented a quarter size violin. The reason? We took him to a karate class to see if he liked it. He sulked through the whole thing, and on the way home said, 'I want to play the violin'. Seemed like he was trying to tell us something......!

He loves gymnastics as well - some of the things he does on his little trampoline I cringe at, but he's great on it. What with that, the piano, violin... I can see extra-curricular activities needing a large budget - especially if his adoring sister wants to do the same!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to clarabell)
Post #: 47
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 3:25:38 PM   
pettsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: clarabell

As much as I love kids and looking after them, I'm just not ready for a child of my own right now.  Being only 21, I doubt this comes as a surprise to anyone.  I'm pretty confident I could look after a child properly, I just feel too young to have that responsibility.  So, it really strikes me as odd just how broody some of my female friends are.  These girls are the same age as me, or a year older, and I can name at least three of them who are desperate for kids now.  I get all silly around babies and act like a nutter to make them laugh and think they're adorable, but that's as far as it goes.  One of my friends in particular really longs for a baby. So much so, that she visited her cousin's new born the other day and came out the hospital crying.  It honestly wouldn;t surprise me if she lets a random bloke knock her up so so she can have a baby of her own.

My sister was 21 when she had her daughter.  At the time, even though she loved kids and had childminding qualifications, I think she would have said the same as you - she was too young, she wanted to have some fun first, etc.  But when she was suddenly thrust into that situation (yes, it was unplanned) she found she was fine.  She never really had a vocation or anything, so being responsible for this little life has given her some focus and direction.  I'm not saying this is right for everyone, but you never know how you will react.

I'd like to also echo the sentiments that its nice to see so many proud fathers in here.

(in reply to clarabell)
Post #: 48
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 4:49:48 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Nice to read about children taking musical instruments. How old is the one playing the flute, Jonson? And which grade is she at?

They both play the flute and piano, but I don't know what grade they are on. They have to play a musical instrument at school and they get the choice. I think they both - as kids do - tend to all do what their friends do. My eldest funnily enough brought home her schedule for this year last night. I tried to persuade her to do the percussion course this year as I find (being a bass player) it more interesting, but she said only the boys do the percussion course, naturally

This is something else I've learnt with kids.
Never try and push them into doing somehting they don't want to do.
We have a rule at home that they can try anything they want, and persue it if they want (and if time allows) but we don't force them to do anything they don't want to do, they get the choice. My eldest wanted to go horse riding but it clashed with street jazz (a type of dance) so we gave her the option.
One or the other.
She wanted to do both (like they do) but I explained that we have to make choices all through life and sometimes we don't even get a choice.
Fortunately she decided to carry on with dancing and stopped the horse riding.
Me and the missus were glad she made that choice, but if she'd opted for the horse-riding instead, we would have said fair enough and supported her.
Letting them partake in activities does have a downside though.
Here is our average week:-

Monday : Brownies for one, swimming with the other
Tuesday : Dancing from 4.30 - 8.30
Wednesday : Dancing from 4.30 - 6.30
Thursday : Dancing from 4.30 - 7.30
Friday : Night off!
Saturday : Dancing from 8.30 - 5.30
Sunday : Swimming in the morning, singing lessons in the afternoon

Dancing fees, costumes and other activities cost us on average 600 a month, which is frightening at times (not including petrol going backwards and forwards) The goodside is it keeps them fit, they don't come home and watch TV and the discipline and confidence it gives them is worth every penny.
The downside is (although to be fair I'm at work a lot anyway) we only sit down for dinner as a family on Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday dinner.
Whether this will be detremental in later life I don't know, but as with everyone bringing up kids, there is no right and wrong, only what you deem best. You can't beat yourself up about it.

Tomorrow :  How to flirt with your kids friend's Mum without making it obvious.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 49
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 7:29:54 PM   
KennyM

Yeah, it can be expensive but it's  worth every penny. My daughter is going to start dancing classes after her birthday, she's desperate and just loves dancing and her auntie used to do it, so she's always showing her stuff. She picks up everything and it's hilarious at times. I'm looking forward to it 'cause the class always puts on a show at the end of the year, so hopefully she will still be interested enough by then.

In regards to musical instruments, with myself playing the drums and her uncle being a damn sight more multi-talented than me (piano, guitar, drums), I hope she can follow in our footsteps and be musical. I'll echo Jonson and say I wont push her into anything, but she's got a keyboard and a mini-drum kit just now, so it would be nice. She's a bloody awful singer though!

Anyhoo, I wonder how Bob's sex-ed video went?

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 50
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 9:30:02 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Yeah, I'm curious about that too...

About the whole 'family eating together' thing. From the ages of 8-13 I only saw my parents at weekends and holidays (Potter-esque boarding school......). It strengthened our relationship no end, because the time we spent together, we actually spent together, if you see what I mean. We didn't simply inhabit the same house or room, but talked, or played games. While I didn't see them during the week (yay!) the time I did spend with them was more meaningful. Consequently, I have a much better relationship with them now than my brothers, who had more 'normal' childhoods. (I use that term very loosely...) I'm certainly not saying I want to pack my children off to boarding school asap, but we make the effort to talk, etc, when we're at mealtimes. The ubiquitous 'they' used to say that the family who pray together, stay together. Now it's more like the family who eat together, stay together.

And jeeez, 600 a month?! Obviously I'm at a different stage in my career development to you, my good man, but as Inspector Gadget used to say, 'wowzers'!! Like you said tho, worth every penny.

Maybe I'll teach my son and daughter piano as long as I can. I am Grade 8... even if that was taken about *mumble mumble* years ago...

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 51
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 18/9/2007 10:04:17 PM   
Sahara Desert

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq
quote:

it helps if you're one of those types who's naturally really good at cradling babies to sleep. Which I am. *smug*
quote:

I've never had any children (and certainly don't plan to)
Those statements seem to almost contradict each other...
I know. Perhaps I'm just so full of evil that I recognise this talent and am refusing to use it on a baby of my own. Muwhahahahahaha!

Seriously though, I have a very short temper and I've been stressed out around my nephew before after several hours looking after him over the years, and also got grouchy when I looked after his half-brother and sister when they were very small before my nephew was born. I don't see myself as someone with good parenting skills and I can't picture myself having any. Plus, if any child is as half as bad as I was, I'd be run ragged. I'm a youngest child, out of three with just under five years' difference between myself and my sister (the middle of myself, she and my brother; my brother and sister only having a year's age difference) and I can safely say I was a demanding, stroppy and sulky child.

@thesaharadesert

Smug Animals

Mine!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 52
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 9:15:56 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

Dancing fees, costumes and other activities cost us on average 600 a month

Tell me you're exaggerating? That's fucking frightening.... I'd expect them to be ballet dancers and top top singers if I was paying that kind of money...... sheeeessh.

(I now imagine your kids as Bonnie Langford types from Bugsy Malone)

(in reply to Sahara Desert)
Post #: 53
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 9:39:47 AM   
Felix

quote:

Not a chance, jonson wouldnt allow ginger kids in his house!

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 54
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 9:53:58 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

Not a chance, jonson wouldnt allow ginger kids in his house!

damn right. I'd rent out their rooms to students if they had just 1 ginger hair on their heads.

I know the fees are expensive but the wife works and justifies the expense by saying she'd happily give up work if they didn't, so who am I to argue? Chuck private school on top and they make for expensive things, kids!
They go to a good stage school as well and get to go in some good productions. Every Christmas they sing and dance as extras in the big shows, be it Joseph, The Lion King or what ever is the new thing.
They are putting on a show over the next few weeks which is all singing, and the Christmas show is normally on over 2 nights and they easily sell out the 1200 venue both nights. A few of the kids go onto bigger things, a recent lad who left went straight into Wicked! and is now in the Lord of the Rings production in London.
Whether my kids chose to do anything I don't know, but at least they've got the opportunity.
They'll probably end up as extras on The Bill or something, then go back to college to be mature students.
Daddy will be so proud.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 55
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 11:41:55 AM   
clarabell

I've been a dancer since I was 2, and I absolutely dread to think how much money my folks have shelled out over the past 19 years to keep me at it.  But just think, when they're old enough to have jobs you can make them pay for the classes themselves   Plus, if they keep at it, they might just become qualified themselves and run their own dance school (something I hope to do in the future)

Between me and my brother's over the years, there have been many activites going on in our house.  I did brownies and Guides when i was younger, and swimming and dancing.  And my brothers stayed at scouts for years and did Karate, Judo, Horse riding, football, rugby, swimming, dancing, drums (pipe band ones) between the two of them.

It's all part of growing up and finding your talent in life

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 56
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:06:19 PM   
Funkyrae

My daughter turned 6 in July.  I'll echo everything that has been said above, they do grow up way too fast.  The amazing thing about children though is that the moment they're born, you forget what your life was like without them there.  They invade and they take over but you're so glad that they have.

Nature is cleverer than we give her credit for.  Gentlemen, if you have a son, the first thing you will notice and everyone will tell you is how much he looks like his father.  It's part of nature's design.  Your baby's cry is set to the exact pitch of its mothers hearing where it becomes impossible to ignore.

There's not a thing I won't do for my daughter.  I'm giving her the best start I possibly can and we're incredibly close.  My mother and I have a fantastic relationship and I genuinely pray that my daughter and I will have the same bond. 

Read to your child.  Put on voices.  Show them that you have fun reading to them and spending that small amount of quality time with them.  It helps them realise that reading can be fun and the look of excitement on their faces when Harry overcomes Voldemort is priceless.

When you get that first smile (that isn't wind) your heart melts.  You're a goner.  There's nothing you wouldn't do to see that smile again and again.

Yeah the early mornings and sleepless nights are a bitch with a newborn but catch up on your sleep while you can.  Even if it's only 10 minutes here and there.

A lot of new parents also make the mistake of having everything silent for the baby to help them sleep, they stop their friends coming around at night in case they wake the baby up.  Just a little tip here, don't do that.  Let them drift off to sleep listening to either your voice reading to them or a CD of times tables (yes, it does work) or nursery rhymes.  Let them hear noises as they go to sleep.  It's reassuring for them and also means that they won't wake up with a creaky floorboard as you're going to bed.  It also means that further down the line if you have any other children, your first born isn't likely to be woken up by them crying.

Oh and Homer, your boy was into Britney eh?  My girl was bopping to Eminem in her nappies.  She also had a massive thing for Evanescence for a while. At 3 she would sing along to Busted and has now decided (in her own words) that Girls Aloud are "really quite poo".

That's me that is!

(in reply to clarabell)
Post #: 57
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:12:59 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

A lot of new parents also make the mistake of having everything silent for the baby to help them sleep, they stop their friends coming around at night in case they wake the baby up.  Just a little tip here, don't do that.  Let them drift off to sleep listening to either your voice reading to them or a CD of times tables (yes, it does work) or nursery rhymes.  Let them hear noises as they go to sleep.  It's reassuring for them and also means that they won't wake up with a creaky floorboard as you're going to bed.  It also means that further down the line if you have any other children, your first born isn't likely to be woken up by them crying.

Couldn't agree more, ours goes off to sleep much better when we have the TV on lightly in the bedroom... or if we're just chatting in bed he'll drop off easily.
Just likes to know er're nearby I guess.

Going to try him in the nursery next week.... should be interesting.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 58
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:19:08 PM   
Funkyrae

Ahh he'll be fine.  All nursery teachers say the same thing.  The kiddies cry when they get dropped off and are fine by the time their parents have gone past the door!  They usually cry again as soon as the parents come to get them as they're having too much fun!

That's me that is!

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 59
RE: Kids & Babies Thread - 19/9/2007 1:22:36 PM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

Couldn't agree more, ours goes off to sleep much better when we have the TV on lightly in the bedroom... or if we're just chatting in bed he'll drop off easily.
Just likes to know er're nearby I guess.

Going to try him in the nursery next week.... should be interesting.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately we learned this one by mistake.
We were obsessed with being quiet around our first born.
We'd be like Linford Christie off the blocks when the phone rang, bollocking each other for letting a kicthen unit door slam, I'd even go outside to fart.
We made rods for our backs though, the kids used to find it hard to go to sleep unless we just sat down on the sofa breathing quietly, with the TV/radio off and the phone unplugged. Talk about making a rod for your back.
I think it took about 5 years of this before we worked our way through it.
My other friend however went through the dismal routine of hoovering up around their baby every night just to try and get them used to noise. I think they put up with 6 months of crying and moaning but after that just used to stick the baby down and job done.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Kids & Babies Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI