Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Journeyman - US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Journeyman - US Speed Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Journeyman - US Speed - 12/9/2007 6:51:57 PM   
Timon

I know Captain Black has given his views on the pilot in the 'Pilots' thread but I just saw it, really like it and hope that it gets picked up and with that thought I'm starting a thread for it.

For those that don't know, Journeyman is an epic fantasy about a man who travels back in time to alter and fix the lives of people in trouble, but by recalibrating the past, he sometimes alters the future - kind of like a post-modern Quantum Leap.

Starring Rome and Dog Soldier's Kevin McKidd sporting a dodgy American accent, Day Break's/Pathfinder's Moon Bloodgood and Reed Diamond.........I really enjoyed it.

Sure, it's a time travel and with such territory comes the problem that your show will start to make NO sense but this shows promise and I guess McKidd's lead helps.

I'll need to see a few more shows and a decent explanation but so far, this is showing promise.

< Message edited by Timon -- 18/11/2007 10:39:48 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Journeyman - 13/9/2007 7:28:35 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I thought the pilot was good. Another Brit donning a US accent, which was annoying, but I can see why he had to. In terms of logic, it will become absolute bollocks, but it has the potential to be really good. Look forward to the rest.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Journeyman - 13/9/2007 10:27:51 AM   
Spartacus

At least, unlike Quantum Leap, he actually gets home 

I liked it and hope it gets picked up.

The Emperor... wants to conquer outer space. Yoda... wants to explore inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the light and dark side of the force.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 3
RE: Journeyman - 17/9/2007 8:38:04 PM   
Helo

Also thought it was great. Sadly, am concerned that Americans will find it too complicated to keep up with. Pity, as it was well written, cleverly plotted and Kevin McKidd is excellent. Despite that accent.

Just couldn't help expecting Dean Stockwell to appear through a doorway of light and start tapping on an oversize keypad.

"But it's Swiss!"

"Five card stud, nothing wild. And the sky's the limit."

(in reply to Spartacus)
Post #: 4
RE: Journeyman - 17/9/2007 8:43:10 PM   
Captain Black

Well, sorry to be the naysayer, but I have to say I didn't think it was a terribly good pilot at all. Vague, structurally poor, not much in the way of characterisation and virtually devoid of humour. Strong performance from McKidd in the central role, but it needs to improve quickly for me to keep interest. Hopefully now they've got the establishing elements out of the way they can press on, but I'm not optimistic.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Helo)
Post #: 5
RE: Journeyman - 17/9/2007 8:49:54 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Helo - highlight as contains slight spoilers for first ep ---> I got the impression that his ex-girlfriend was the 'Al' character... <---

I swear, if he says 'oh boy'......

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 6
RE: Journeyman - 17/9/2007 9:25:27 PM   
Helo

I swear, if this makes it a full season, my money's on Bakula to show up in the Season finale

"But it's Swiss!"

"Five card stud, nothing wild. And the sky's the limit."

Post #: 7
RE: Journeyman - 18/9/2007 4:16:24 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Well, sorry to be the naysayer, but I have to say I didn't think it was a terribly good pilot at all. Vague, structurally poor, not much in the way of characterisation and virtually devoid of humour. Strong performance from McKidd in the central role, but it needs to improve quickly for me to keep interest. Hopefully now they've got the establishing elements out of the way they can press on, but I'm not optimistic.

I don't know, I thought the characterisation was there - the estranged brother, the wife who feels second fiddle to a lost love, etc etc

Granted there wasn't much humour but it didn't really need it, I thought it was very well done and it ended very strongly with McKidd bashing opening the patio and declaring how he'll always come home.

Good pilot me thought.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 8
RE: Journeyman - 2/10/2007 1:56:38 PM   
Captain Black

The second episode is much better. Faster paced, more characterisation, and it's explicit when it shows Dan actually time travelling, which I really liked. They managed to inject some humour into it to.

Still some room for growth, and it's apparently happy to be Quantum Leap 2, but it's closer to finding its groove.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: Journeyman - 2/10/2007 5:02:04 PM   
Zaphod121

Just watched episode 1, and really enjoyed it, it was a bit muddled but there's a lot of potential, me thinks I shall "acquire" episode 2.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 10
RE: Journeyman - 3/10/2007 3:38:59 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

The second episode is much better. Faster paced, more characterisation, and it's explicit when it shows Dan actually time travelling, which I really liked. They managed to inject some humour into it to.

Still some room for growth, and it's apparently happy to be Quantum Leap 2, but it's closer to finding its groove.

Pretty much agree will all of that, this is turning out to be damn enjoyable series, now the waiting game begins, how long before it's cancelled

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 11
RE: Journeyman - 3/10/2007 5:41:05 PM   
homersimpson_esq

The equation studios use to decide what shows are cancelled:

k=1/q

Where k=likelihood of being kept, and q=quality of show.

So, as the quality goes up, the likelihood of the show being kept goes down.

I didn't say it made any sense. (cf. Firefly et al.)

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 12
RE: Journeyman - 4/10/2007 11:55:11 AM   
Spartacus

After watching season 1 and 2 of Rome I have a new found appreciation of Kevin McKidd.

I liked episode 2 and just hope they can keep it up. At least now he knows when he is going to "leap" so has a little bit of time to get ready. I'm not sure on the whole neither person (Kevin McKidd and hiw dead wife) knows what is going on, only that they keep jumping through time to save people.

Did anyone else want to be a passenger on that 1970's flight

The Emperor... wants to conquer outer space. Yoda... wants to explore inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the light and dark side of the force.

Post #: 13
RE: Journeyman - 5/10/2007 9:45:33 AM   
Timon

This is the show that I think is currently the best so far - more gripping and interesting than Heroes and Prison Break and as fun as Chuck.

Second episode was great fun and I do like the fact that it IS Quantum Leap 2 although I hope we find out what consequences his actions are causing and why he's 'jumping'.

(in reply to Spartacus)
Post #: 14
RE: Journeyman - 11/10/2007 12:56:19 PM   
Zaphod121

Episode 3 was great fun, really liked the bit at the beginning where you think there talking about time travel but it turns out there just talking about putting the toilet seat down. Just hope it doesn't get canceled, how are the ratings so far?

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: Journeyman - 11/10/2007 1:12:31 PM   
Captain Black

I really enjoyed ep 3 too. Much better paced, nice characterisation and humour. They're dealing with the issues of time travel that have been covered before well too; seems they've really learned from the pilot.

The ratings aren't great to be honest, though most importantly is it's not really retaining the Heroes audience. I think they could move it around the schedule a bit. It screams Friday show to me, so I'd put it on with Friday Night Lights (dunno what NBC show there at the moment) and hope all the viewers go with it. Having said that, it's just received orders for further scripts and is probably in credit relative to Studio 60 last year at this stage. A looming writers' strike could work in its favour too.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 16
RE: Journeyman - 17/10/2007 11:38:20 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Ok, so Dan didn't say 'oh boy', but the bloody priest did! 

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 17
RE: Journeyman - 18/10/2007 2:08:57 PM   
Timon

Just saw Ep 3 ( having a busy week, bit behind).

Loved it. It's still progressing at a decent rate and developing. How's it doing ratings wise?

Post #: 18
RE: Journeyman - 18/10/2007 2:28:10 PM   
Art Vandelay

Not sure, but NBC did just order more scripts for the show, so that can only be a good sign. I'm so glad i decided to stick with this show past the Pilot episode. It seems to improve week by week (episode 4 was the best yet), and it's now one of my Must-See shows. And i'm assuming that at one point Dan will do something that will have a bad affect on the future or just make things worse for the people he's supposed to be helping. As so far, he's succeeded in all his tasks. But i'm thinking way too ahead.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 19
RE: Journeyman - 19/10/2007 5:27:16 PM   
Zaphod121

Really enjoyed ep 4, good to see that the marriage troubles don't just go away, and it was cool to see that people could ring him from the future. I have to agree with you Art, this becoming one of the must see shows.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 20
RE: Journeyman - 19/10/2007 6:04:24 PM   
homersimpson_esq

But is the call from the future tho? Could be the scientist dude from that point in time. Kinda weird. Probably is from the future, but it adds a nice bit of mystery.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 21
RE: Journeyman - 19/10/2007 7:12:35 PM   
crimson_sage

I've been hooked from day one.  Anything with Kevin McKidd has to be good.  I must agree that masking his accent is a shame, considering the sultry tone of it is rather arousing to say the least.  From what I've read, the story lines are getting better and more complex.  Hoping that this one stays on.

I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way

Post #: 22
RE: Journeyman - US Speed - 12/11/2007 2:47:02 PM   
Zaphod121

Nobody has posted here in a while. Last one was ep 7 I think, I really loved it when we got to see his ex (can't remember her name) travel to his house and see his life, that was great.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to crimson_sage)
Post #: 23
RE: Journeyman - US Speed - 12/11/2007 2:53:05 PM   
homersimpson_esq

The show has grown on me. I was close to giving up, not because it was poor, but because it didn't seem to be doing anything special and I'm watching too much at the moment. But each week something happens to change my expectations. I love it. This and Life are my favourite new programmes.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 24
RE: Journeyman - US Speed - 15/11/2007 10:32:51 AM   
Spartacus

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

The show has grown on me. I was close to giving up, not because it was poor, but because it didn't seem to be doing anything special and I'm watching too much at the moment. But each week something happens to change my expectations. I love it. This and Life are my favourite new programmes.

Funnily enough, that was the problem with me. Until I watched about 6 episodes in a row and I got back into it. Things are starting to get interesting now as the things he does in the past are starting to catch up with him. I'm rather intrigued about that scientist though, it was obvious from the phonecall he recieved when he was back in time that something was dodgy, but that knowing look he gave Dan when he "leaped" piqued my curiosity. Oh and I now have a thing for Moon Bloodgood. Brilliant name, hot woman

Post #: 25
RE: Journeyman - US Speed - 18/11/2007 10:40:31 AM   
Timon

So Livia is from 1948 eh? How odd.

Show is going from strength to strength I think....

(in reply to Spartacus)
Post #: 26
RE: Journeyman - US Speed - 18/11/2007 10:55:58 AM   
homersimpson_esq

S'weird - watched Kingdom of Heaven again last night and never noticed Kevin McKidd at the start! And Gene Hunt from Life on Mars too!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 27
RE: Journeyman - US Speed - 18/11/2007 1:37:24 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

So Livia is from 1948 eh? How odd.

Show is going from strength to strength I think....

That was a pretty cool, I'm little confused though, she lived in 1948 and would jump into the future and then jumped to the 80s and stopped traveling and then met Dan, is that about how is goes?

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: Journeyman - US Speed - 18/11/2007 6:05:11 PM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

S'weird - watched Kingdom of Heaven again last night and never noticed Kevin McKidd at the start! And Gene Hunt from Life on Mars too!

Ive just started to watch this prog 2day and gotta say im really enjoying it and prey it doesnt get cancelled! Its a real cool idea and i am a massive wuantum leap fan so loving the camparisons. Mr bakula you are needed  for a cameo asap.

I also just spotted kevin mckidd in fricking father tedd???

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

Post #: 29
RE: Journeyman - US Speed - 20/11/2007 1:59:35 PM   
Timon

According to Aintitcool, if tonight's two parter doesn't pull in BIG numbers, there's a chance the show might get canned.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34841

For God's sake, why is it good shows like this and Chuck are under threat whereas the likes of Heroes gets huge numbers and for the life of me, I can't remember much of what has happened for the past 8 or so episodes.

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Journeyman - US Speed Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI