Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2 Days In Paris - 2/9/2007 10:00:31 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 2/9/2007 10:00:31 PM   
Indio

To say this is just Before Sunset with added gags would really be an insult to this film, I thought this was much more than that.

True, the last 10 minutes or so kind of lost the light-hearted mood of what had gone before and got bogged down in a philsophical mood, but overall I loved this film, its far superior to the average rom com that is released these days. There are some truly funny scenes - the dinner with Marion's parents, the balloon pictures, the opening at the gallery, the party and Daniel Bruhls cameo to name just a few but also some well acted serious scenes too. (hope they don't count as spoilers).

Adam Goldberg truly gives a great performance, like the bastard son of Woody Allen and Vince Vaughn, surely he should be a far bigger star after this film (although sadly, I doubt this is the kind of film enough people will see to propel him into the spotlight), and the same is true of Julie Delpy, so if you want to see a romantic comedy that goes beyond the hackneyed Richard Curtis template, go and see this.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
2 Days In Paris - 3/9/2007 1:52:12 PM   
Timon

Very funny and a great 'couple' film especially if you too have been going out for 2+ years.

Post #: 3
RE: 2 Days In Paris - 3/9/2007 9:15:14 PM   
Wilding

Director/Screenwriter: Julie Delpy
Starring: Julie Delpy, Adam Goldberg, Marie Pillet, Albert Delpy

Synopsis
After going around Europe during a vacation, Marion (Delpy) and her American boyfriend Jack (Goldberg) are spending two days in Paris, where the couple tries to sort out their relationship when they meet a few of Marion's ex-lovers.

Review
From actress to director, this isn't the first time we've seen Julie 'The Director' Delpy. After two short features, Delpy is ready to tell her French life through a fictional romantic comedy. She does admit that story is loosely based on her life, for example, her real-life relationship with Adam Goldberg, and a bit on her childhood.

When this film first came about, I felt like it was going to be another After Sunrise/After Sunset, but its in the traditional Hollywood sense of a romantic comedy, only set in a French environment. With a narration by Delpy, its not all sweet or moving, as while it tells the audience how an everyday relationship works, it gets too scientific for couples to know.

Living in independent cinema for many years, Delpy know how those directors work, so like always, she treats the film as a documentary, with the use of shaky cameras (no problem) and drama always centred around the two protagonists. As I said about the scientific narration, the screen eventually becomes a chalkboard to describe what the hell Marion's talking about.

Ever since Annie Hall, many screen couples want to copy the romance, and this one is probably the closest. Without the glasses, Adam Goldberg treats himself like the Woody Allen of our genaration, while Delpy avoids her previous role of Celine. Father to the director herself, Albert Delpy is not shown as a respectiful father, but rather as a so-called womanizing pervert.

Verdict
All and all, Julie Delpy is about to start a a directorial CV of upcoming attractions. Just don't get too Frenchy.

Post #: 4
RE: 2 Days In Paris - 5/9/2007 8:02:39 PM   
Charliebois

I haven't laughed at a film this much in ages. Delpy does Woody Allen in Paris.... Brilliant.... Goldberg was wondefully neurotic...

(in reply to Wilding)
Post #: 5
RE: 2 Days In Paris - 17/9/2007 8:08:04 PM   
Mason Verger

The review for 1 Night In Paris appears to be missing.   

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

Post #: 6
All Taxi Drivers are the same - 1/2/2008 9:59:43 AM   
MyPOV

This is worth seeing for the Taxi driver conversations alone. Clearly they are the same across the world, although Parisian ones do seem particularly abhorant. Delpy puts them in their place admirably. This also brings the French arrogance into sharp focus, with Delpy's parents providing excellent talent to have on tap. Delpy is very aware of other nation's views (particulary neurotic Americans) of The French and exploits this e.g. the rectal thermometer and rabbit heads.

Post #: 7
Great, realistic love story - 1/11/2008 10:52:23 AM   
TheMovieNess

This is a sweet little comedy about two lovers in Paris. It is quite different from the normal love stories. Very straightforward, a lot of dialogue and two main characters who are absolutely believable. Not too cheesy or overly romantic. Genuine people in a real setting.The American Jack (Adam Goldberg) and the originally Parisian Marion (Julie Delpy) have been together for two years. After a lovely trip to Venice they stay at her parents’ house in Paris for two days. Sounds romantic?! Well, Marion has a lot of ex-lovers, and to Jack’s annoyance, they all seem to be in Paris.

The dialogue is absolutely hilarious. Marion is constantly talking, while Jack is moaning non-stop. Although very annoying, Adam Goldberg is truly wonderful and awkwardly funny.

Written, directed, produced and acted by Julie Delpy. What an accomplishment! It is definitely a film worth watching. It is so refreshing to see a film about a couple who are already going out together. I am so tired of falling-in-love stories.

TheMovieNess.com

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 2 Days In Paris Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI