Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Breach - 2/9/2007 7:15:18 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 2/9/2007 7:15:18 PM   
moviemaniac2

Based on a real-life scandal that rocked America in 2001, Ray’s film is a fascinating exploration of the methodical steps taken to coax Hanssen out into the open. But it’s also a study of betrayal, Cooper’s treason mirrored on a personal level by the way Phillippe gains his trust and courts his friendship even as he plots his downfall. Knowing the outcome isn’t the liability that one might expect.

Slow-burning and sombre, Breach won’t be for everyone. But it’s worth catching for Cooper’s performance, while its fact-based tale of treachery will strike a chord in today’s climate of suspicion.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 4/9/2007 4:27:57 PM   
Graham Pickersgill

Good film - just seen it today. Did anyone else notice what seemed to be a boom mike coming into shot about 15 mins into film when Hanssen walks into his office with Phillippe's characters report on a better computer system (or whatever it was). Watch out for it above Hanssen's head if you get the chance.

Graham

(in reply to moviemaniac2)
Post #: 3
RE: RE: - 4/9/2007 9:32:20 PM   
Wilbert

It was a slower-paced film than the trailer would have you believe but it was very good. Not sure I'd watch it again but Cooper's performance was excellent/

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Graham Pickersgill)
Post #: 4
RE: RE: - 5/9/2007 7:56:27 PM   
Charliebois

Good film but not nearly as good as Shattered Glass from the same writer-director. Chris Cooper was fantastic...

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 6/9/2007 4:08:46 PM   
FortWilliamLoyal

Very good film IMO, Chris Cooper was excellent as Hanssen and also thought Ryan Phillipe put in a very decent performace. It most likely won't be for everyone but I am very glad I went along to see it.

Last films seen:

Atonement ****
Babel ****
Hallam Foe ***
Death Sentence ***
Run, Fat Boy, Run ****

(in reply to Charliebois)
Post #: 6
RE: RE: - 6/9/2007 9:33:32 PM   
Driver 8

Can we....report movie maniac or what? For the last time, if we wanted Total Film's opinion, they have a website!

(in reply to FortWilliamLoyal)
Post #: 7
RE: RE: - 7/9/2007 7:19:59 PM   
raven_girl

Not bad, good peformance by Chris Cooper, he seems to make his fair share of political films dosen't he, also been in Syriana and the upcoming The Kingdom. It was a bit slow and I did lose interest at times but it wasn't bad.

(in reply to Driver 8)
Post #: 8
RE: RE: - 8/9/2007 8:44:15 PM   
jackinov

He did Shattered Glass?! Well then I may have to go see this, I loved that

Don't trust Empire enough? Get a second opinion at WEB.MAC.COM/EFITZPATRICK1 !!!

(in reply to Charliebois)
Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 9/9/2007 9:48:54 AM   
RJNeb2

This isn't going to be to everyone's taste because it's a slow, methodical film. Think of it as a modern day version of "All the President's Men". But that's OK. The case against Robert Hanssen was built up over a long period of time, with careful planning, and that comes across in the film. Much has been said about Cooper's excellent, conflicted performance but Philippe seems to be getting better and better with each film, and Linney is solidly excellent as always.

In these days of ADD movies with constant explosions and CGI, I really appreciate films like "Breach" because they give you a morally complex tale and burrow deep within it. So it's not all black and white, it's grey, and it's much more interesting because of it.

(in reply to jackinov)
Post #: 10
High Quality Thriller - 16/9/2007 7:34:47 PM   
rougier

Highly engaging thriller starring the excellent Chris Cooper, rises above the norm thanks to high production values, 'true story' background and some real tense moments. In todays bland market of cheap thrills and low brow action movies this stands out, check it out while you still can it will not dissapoint.

Post #: 11
Enigmatic - 26/9/2007 11:03:05 PM   
FlexDream

Gripping thriller with an excellent performance from the dependable Chris Cooper, but never properly explaining his motivation. Good film based on an amazing true story.

Post #: 12
Whats this with no answers? - 31/10/2007 3:52:04 PM   
discodave101

Although it didn't spell Chris Coopers motivations out to you, I thought the story gave more than enough insight into his character to give you a greater understanding of his motives. I certainly never left thinking 'why was he like that or why did he do that?"

A great little film, that hasn't been 'jazzed up'. It all felt very low key, and very real, as well as a little scary knowing how much real damage was actually caused by this man,

Great little film, and superb acting throughout.

Post #: 13
Very entertaining thriller - 31/8/2008 5:01:30 PM   
Workshed

Very interesting, solid 3 star thriller but elevated due to the absolutely magnificent performance put in by Chris Cooper

Post #: 14
Very entertaining thriller - 31/8/2008 5:01:37 PM   
Workshed

Very interesting, solid 3 star thriller but elevated due to the absolutely magnificent performance put in by Chris Cooper

Post #: 15
QUALITY MOVIE-MAKING - 2/12/2008 4:50:25 PM   
chrisdagnall

A cracking film this one. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Quality performances on show from all involved - Chris Cooper, Ryan Phillipe, Dennis Haysbert especially......

Post #: 16
Slow-paced but good... - 16/1/2009 2:51:35 PM   
!xHoTRoDx!

The script could have been better and so could the pace but when the excitement comes it sure is cracking to watch. The performances are outstanding: Phillipe was watchable, Haysbert was a great surprise and Linney, as usual, was fantastic...but this is, without a doubt, Cooper's movie- he just completely blew me away and his performance is definetaly oscar material. Nobody else could have played his part better-without him this movie would just be an okay-conspiracy thriller that hardly anybody would know about.

Post #: 17
Slow-paced but good... - 16/1/2009 2:52:01 PM   
!xHoTRoDx!

The script could have been better and so could the pace but when the excitement comes it sure is cracking to watch. The performances are outstanding: Phillipe was watchable, Haysbert was a great surprise and Linney, as usual, was fantastic...but this is, without a doubt, Cooper's movie- he just completely blew me away and his performance is definetaly oscar material. Nobody else could have played his part better-without him this movie would just be an okay-conspiracy thriller that hardly anybody would know about.

Post #: 18
Slow-paced but good... - 16/1/2009 2:52:13 PM   
!xHoTRoDx!

Post #: 19
Tense Worthy True Story. - 10/12/2009 5:39:03 PM   
joanna likes films

Breach is a tense worthy true story that won't be for everyone's taste and there is no action, simply very slow moving. But if people like this sort of thing, it's without doubt worth checking out. The pefomances from Chris Cooper, Laura Linney and Ryan Philippe were excellent, they are there to grab your attention. It's a very dull and cold setting with a chilling story ready to be told, one to see.

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Breach Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI