Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Who you seeing?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Who you seeing? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Who you seeing? - 16/2/2008 1:24:16 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

Smashing Pumpkins - MEN. Feb 15th

Ditto. 

And part of me now wishes I hadn't.

were they really that bad?

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 121
RE: Who you seeing? - 16/2/2008 1:54:21 PM   
emogeek

They weren't awful, but in all my (almost 20) years of gig-going, I've never been as bored and uninvolved.  They played for two and a half hours (which would normally be a good thing), but for about two hours of that, they were so damn dull. 

I initially compared it to watching a tribute band, but then retracted that, given that a tribute band would play the classics.

Quite a few people near us walked out with about half an hour still to go.

But on the positive side, they played "Drown" (which is one of their best songs, but I never thought they'd play it live) and Mayonnaise sounded outstanding.  Which is why only part of me wishes I hadn't gone.  Be interesting to know what kingalan thought.

< Message edited by emogeek -- 16/2/2008 1:55:14 PM >

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 122
RE: Who you seeing? - 16/2/2008 5:29:28 PM   
kingalan

quote:

They weren't awful, but in all my (almost 20) years of gig-going, I've never been as bored and uninvolved.  They played for two and a half hours (which would normally be a good thing), but for about two hours of that, they were so damn dull. 

I initially compared it to watching a tribute band, but then retracted that, given that a tribute band would play the classics.

Quite a few people near us walked out with about half an hour still to go.

But on the positive side, they played "Drown" (which is one of their best songs, but I never thought they'd play it live) and Mayonnaise sounded outstanding.  Which is why only part of me wishes I hadn't gone.  Be interesting to know what kingalan thought.

Agree completely. Possibly one of the worst gigs I've ever attended. After seeing them at Leeds I expected a certain level of self-indulgence, but this made that seem like a greatest hits set. Of the two and half hours, I'd say about twenty minutes of that was worth the trip to Manchester.

Musically they were great but Corgan has absolutely no concept of showmanship at all. As always, Tonight, Tonight, Today, 1979 and BWBW were hair-raising plus the inclusion of Drown, Mayonaisse, Perfect and The Everlasting Gaze was a pleasant surprise. Apart from that it was just self-serving wankery. Even though I was practically in the mosh-pit, I may aswell have been watching it on DVD. Why he insists on including some of the tuneless, overlong cack that he does (who told him United States was good??) and yet left out the likes of Zero and Disarm is beyond me.

Disappointing. Plus the cold, stagnant venue didn't help either.

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 123
RE: Who you seeing? - 19/2/2008 4:31:57 PM   
DJ Satan

I just got tickets for Ministry in London in May.

https://www.stargreen.com/events?id=18803

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 124
RE: Who you seeing? - 22/2/2008 12:04:26 PM   
Indio

Going to see Spiritualized at the Koko in May.

'Think about the future.'

Post #: 125
RE: Who you seeing? - 22/2/2008 12:15:07 PM   
DaveNewman18

Muse at the Albert Hall in April, corr. Took so much time and stress to get tickets this morning, blimey.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 126
RE: Who you seeing? - 22/2/2008 2:23:44 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Sold out already!  If you haven't seen Muse live, you've seen no one live.  Seen them at the SECC 2 years ago and they were fucking awesome!

(in reply to DaveNewman18)
Post #: 127
RE: Who you seeing? - 22/2/2008 2:36:45 PM   
Jeffy

The Kills - March 2 (somewhere in Nottingham i believe)
Jamie Lidell - May 2nd (The clockwork club in Bristol)
Radiohead - June 26th (London Victoria Park)

There's a song stuck in my head
And I can't help singing it
Oh how I hope my singing pleases you

Post #: 128
RE: Who you seeing? - 22/2/2008 4:18:06 PM   
DaveNewman18

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Sold out already!  If you haven't seen Muse live, you've seen no one live.  Seen them at the SECC 2 years ago and they were fucking awesome!

Damn right, saw them at Reading 06, absolutely mind-blowing.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 129
RE: Who you seeing? - 23/2/2008 2:42:31 AM   
Art Vandelay

Editors on the 6th of March. In London.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to DaveNewman18)
Post #: 130
RE: Who you seeing? - 25/2/2008 1:49:54 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Editors tomorrow night at the Carling Academy in Glasgow, since tomorrow will be my 18th !

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 131
RE: Who you seeing? - 27/2/2008 12:26:53 AM   
moontheloon

Went to See Tony Allen Tonight, there were a couple of acts on before him who for shame I can't remember the names of, both were very different but were pretty good. Tony Just blew them away though. That man is such a talented drummer and his band were also extremly talented by the end of the show pretty much everyone was on their feet dancing to the groove Tony Allen has my vote for best drummer of all time for sure! so much talent

Though one thing troubles me. What drives a white middle aged male to thinking, you know what, I am off to see some African musicians tonight, you know what would enhance this experience for me, dressing up in African Clothing, yes, that would really make my night. Normally I wouldn't mind quite so much but it was fucking freezing tonight and the wind was immense... seriously guys... why?

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 132
RE: Who you seeing? - 28/2/2008 12:44:37 AM   
Chojin

Supernature returns with its next massive installment!
Friday March 7th see's Heaven London Host the next massive Selection of international greatness!

Aly & Fila (Egypt)
Giuseppe Ottaviani (LIVE)( Rome-Italy)
Alex M.O.R.P.H - 'I Love trance World Tour' (Germany)
FACTOR B (AUS)
MK X (Infrasonic Records)
ACUTE (infrasonic Records)

Dj Paul Mako & Kris Di Angeles
Glovibes Crew:
Leanardo 'Smoothly Rude'
Steve Nacerino

& Dj Jean PiERRE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cant bloody wait! taking a couple of girls from my work who are newbies to it all and a few of my mates are going

really looking forward to ottaviani and also A+F should be cheesy sing along fun.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 133
RE: Who you seeing? - 28/2/2008 3:47:34 PM   
Harley Quinn

Am going to see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band on both his gigs a the Emirates Stadium.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 134
RE: Who you seeing? - 28/2/2008 6:57:36 PM   
foz

Off to see Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan in Manchester on June 12 

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 135
RE: Who you seeing? - 29/2/2008 8:08:43 PM   
David

I saw Megadeth last week at the Brixton Academy in London - effing brilliant as usual.

Will be at the 'Defenders of the Faith' tour in April with Opeth and Arch Enemy at the same venue.

Queensryche in June playing at the O2 Arena.

Just booked tickets for Iron Maiden in July at Twickenham.

Am chuffed to bits!  

I'm Ron Burgundy?

(in reply to zombiemaster)
Post #: 136
RE: Who you seeing? - 2/3/2008 5:43:23 PM   
Indio

Underworld were AWESOME on Thursday night

Going to see James Holden and Four Tet at the Indigo next month.

(in reply to David)
Post #: 137
RE: Who you seeing? - 2/3/2008 7:49:03 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Bruce Springsteen and the E street Band and also Black Rebal Motorcycle Club, both in May

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 138
RE: Who you seeing? - 4/3/2008 7:45:49 PM   
moontheloon

Went To See The Futureheads down At Northumbria Uni Last night, I've seen them once before but this time they were so much better, Last time, like the album they were supporting (second one) they weren't quite so fun, too serious and the act suffered. This time they seemed to have regained their sense of fun which made the whole act a whole lot better to watch. The New Tunes sound pretty good too, I now have higher hopes for their album than I did 

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 139
RE: Who you seeing? - 5/3/2008 12:54:05 PM   
belluccisbra

At the 2nd time of asking im going to see QoTSA tonight

fingers crossed

Exterminate all rational thought

Post #: 140
RE: Who you seeing? - 5/3/2008 2:01:14 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art Vandelay

Editors on the 6th of March. In London.

I'm going tonight

Still trying to work out the best way to the Ally Pally.  Nightmare by train but driving on the North Circuler in rush hour?

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 141
RE: Who you seeing? - 5/3/2008 8:44:05 PM   
Indio

I'm also going to see Sebastien Tellier at the Scala next month.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 142
RE: Who you seeing? - 6/3/2008 11:55:47 AM   
screen name pending

I've got tickets to see the Ting Tings, got to go to Stoke though - can't believe they're not playing Manchester!

Make poverty history, cheaper drugs now!

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 143
RE: Who you seeing? - 6/3/2008 12:19:01 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I'm recovering from an awesome night out at Alexandra Palce last night seeing The Editors!!

The only downside was that some muppet threw his pint at the PA system and blew it.  Right in the middle of the song I had been waiting for all night - Racing Rats    The guys were seriously pissed off as the sound kept cutting in and out but they managed to get it working properly for the last song - Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors

They should not allow drinks to be taken into the main area!!

Wish I was going again this evening.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to screen name pending)
Post #: 144
RE: Who you seeing? - 7/3/2008 4:18:42 PM   
moontheloon

Went to see The Fall a couple of nights back. Now musically they are absolutally awesome live, sure you can't understand a word Mark E Smith says, but you pick out one veery now and then I guess. The Music has the kinda hypnotic quality about it. It was also very interesting watching him on stage. He seemed like a geriatric old man who didn't quite know where he was. He was quite obviously pissed (it was his birthday to be fair)  But he would wander around the stage occassionally picking up two microphones singing into them both (which turns out is very loud)  He would fiddle with his poor bands amps, whacking them right up, right down, whatever suited him, most of the time this kinda enhanced the music somehow, but at one point when he turned off the guitar amp and the poor guitarist kinda kept on playing You began to understand why his band changes every album. He also threw one of his mic's into the bass drum at one point producing an odd sort of sound, which was fixed soon after. The man has some issues I feel.

After 37 minutes of great music (none of which I really recognised so is probably newer stuff) Mark E Smith just left the stage, the band looked a little surprised and the audience wouldn't leave until he came back on again, which he did after the band had also left. They played a couple more songs then he decided to leave again, this time it was the sound engineer who looked a little surprised... Once more the crowd continued to cheer for him... Again, after a wait he came back on again with the band and played blindness (a song I really rather like) which is also quite long. After that they left the stage again, This time for good. The crowd stayed put however, cheering for more, me included, until I noticed the guitarist leaving the building and decided he probably wasn't coming back on.  So all in all we got 63 minutes or so of fall, which was more than I was expecting, but it would have been nicer had it been more.

Having said that though, I would definately go and seee them again as the music is truely great stuff like, it has a real feel to it that made me feel the closest to the late 70's early 80's north west scene with the likes of the fall and Joy Division and such. A good night in all.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 145
RE: Who you seeing? - 7/3/2008 8:39:16 PM   
Oddjob

Rick Wakeman - Willliam Aston Hall, Wrexham. 3rd May.

< Message edited by Oddjob -- 8/3/2008 2:27:37 PM >

Post #: 146
RE: Who you seeing? - 8/3/2008 12:41:25 AM   
moontheloon

Went to See Jack Rose tonight. first two bands on I have to say were dreadful. The first band was effectively a wall of noise, it sounded like they had listened to Early sonic youth, my bloody valentine jesus and mary chain etc and just disregarded all sense of melody and focused in on the feedback layers of noise element and just created a 30 minute "song" around it. The second band consisted of a woman wailing into a microphone whilst playing (and I use that term lightly) either a keyboard, a harp or another instrument I don't know the name for offhand whilst a man banged tunelessly on a drumkit.. horrible stuff...

Third act on was quite nice, man and a guitar, nothing amazing, but nice. Then Jack Rose was pretty good, he is definately a talented guitarist, I didn't know much/anything of his before going and I have to say I was quite impressed, just a shame about the first two acts...

(in reply to Oddjob)
Post #: 147
RE: Who you seeing? - 8/3/2008 2:03:28 PM   
nimmy

The Cure - Sportpaleis Antwerpen, 14th March
Down - Melkweg Amsterdam, 5th April

Seen Poison the Well and Dillinger Escape Plan at the Melkweg last week. PtW rocked but the sound let them down a bit. (T)DEP (have they dropped the the or was it never there in the first place?) were amazing, not really a huge fan, tagged along with my husband to see them but I was very impressed. Got a bit queezy though when the singer went round stage with blood pooring down his neck after one of his antics. Don't like the sight of blood much me

Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water-bath is to the body.

Post #: 148
RE: Who you seeing? - 9/3/2008 1:48:10 AM   
Fluffy_Dome_Boy

Jack Penate - 16th March
We Are Scientists - Some time in April

(in reply to nimmy)
Post #: 149
RE: Who you seeing? - 11/3/2008 10:36:54 PM   
Chojin

ferry corsten and marco v at turnmills this friday

(among others)

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Fluffy_Dome_Boy)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Who you seeing? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI