Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Future Star Trek Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Future Star Trek Films Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Future Star Trek Films - 4/12/2005 9:42:40 PM   
Timon

Let's face it. Star Trek has fallen and it's fallen hard.

I was a huge fan for most my childhood and the last seasons of Deep Space Nine, i thought, were the best that the franchise produced...and then it went downhill.

The last couple of seasons for Voyager were poor and i never got into Enterprise and we all know what happened to that. Even Star Trek: Nemesis was just "average".

Rumours abound of the likes of Rick "Let's Run Trek Into The Ground" Berman and William Shatner planning a prequel series about the adventures of Kirk and Spock at Starfleet Acadamey but i think this is a dire idea.

If anything, they need to continue the saga of Deep Space Nine which ended in a beautiful and brilliant way. Perhaps cross it over with the Next Generation crew, "Generations" style.

Either way, the best news i've heard recently has come from Aintitcool. Bryan Singer wants to do a Trek film! Get in!

Singer Considers Trek Movie

Bryan Singer, an avowed Star Trek fan, told SCI FI Wire that he's thought about directing a Trek movie. "I'm a huge fan," Singer said in an interview at the Nov. 30 premiere of the SCI FI Channel's upcoming original miniseries
The Triangle, which he executive-produced with Dean Devlin.

Singer added: "We're huge Trekkies. And we've always talked about what we would do, and what would I do, if I were to make a film in that universe."

It's unclear when or if Paramount will mount another Trek film, since its last effort, Star Trek: Nemesis, did poorly at the box office and the last Trek series, Star Trek: Enterprise, was canceled after drawing low ratings.

Singer has kept a strong link with the Trek universe. He made a cameo appearance in Nemesis. He also worked on the last two X-Men films with The Next Generation's Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard). Singer is currently finishing Superman Returns and is working on his next project, an update of the SF movie Logan's Run.

"Again, you know, it's the same thing: X-Men, Superman, Logan's Run, all these things: There are these incredible universes, really," Singer said, adding: "You kind of wish you could play in them all. I mean, I got to do a cameo in the last Star Trek film; that was a thrill. I got to be on the Enterprise when it was under attack."

As for what he would do in his version of a Star Trek movie? "[That's] a longer story," he said. "It would involve ... it would be big. It would be very big."

Oh yes. If anyone can save Trek then it's Singer, the man who has resurrected the Last Son of Krypton, gave the world Keyser Soze and brought the X Men to the silver screen.
Post #: 1
RE: STAR TREK 11 - Title missing from ImDb.....is it al... - 23/1/2006 5:37:41 PM   
Mason Verger

The next one is going to be called :
Star Trek 11: The Search For More Money

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.
Post #: 2
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 19/2/2006 11:34:55 AM   
Timon

After watching the marvellous First Contact over the weekend, i've realised where Trek has gone wrong in recent movies and series. Alien threats like the Borg have been so neutered in Voyager where it seems Janeway and co can take on hundreds of Borg ships at once and win that they no longer have any menance. The Klingons are now Federations allies, the Dominion have been defeated and as the box office of the last film tells us, no one cares about the Romulans.

The best of the films (II, VI, VIII) were the best because of several reasons - the human emotional factor - revenge, loss and the need to get past your hatred of certain races and because they dealt with issues that are important and have happened in recently in history - VI is basically about the end of the Cold War and the West and East finally getting on. Trek always works best with threat, heart and a moral lesson and was that in Insurrection and Nemesis?

If Ronald Moore hadn't jumped ship to Battlestar Galactica, i'd demand he take the series and slam into darker territory. I mean, we lost Data in Nemesis but i can barely remember feeling any of the emotional punch that i felt when Spock died.

The Next Generation crew need to go out with more of an impact so i suggest a cross over of DS9 and TNG crew and have one threat that will likely see many of the good guys fall. A struggle that will put the epicness back into Trek and no longer make it the joke that it's become. And please, for god's sake DON'T try and sex the series up. Voyager went downhill when Seven of Nine joined - there's never any reason to have a Borg Babe and Enterprise seemed to firmly centre on T'Pol's chest. Roddenberry's vision this wasn't.

Also, someone fire Rick Berman. He has no idea what he's doing anymore.

< Message edited by Timon -- 19/2/2006 11:42:45 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 3
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 21/2/2006 7:44:54 PM   
monkeyisevil

every one face it!
star trek is rubbish!
movies rubbish
eps rubbish
i rest my case

don't click this link...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 28/2/2006 10:10:22 AM   
Timon

From Filmforce IGN - it's good news and bad news

Reports and rumors over the past year or so have suggested not one, but two different ideas being pursued for the next Star Trek film. The more publicized possibility for Star Trek XI is a prequel film currently called "Star Trek: The Beginning".

Patrick Stewart, on the other hand, referred to another idea for a TNG-era Star Trek film. "There are serious plans," the captain of the Enterprise-D stated.

However, word now comes via Doug Mirabello, assistant to Trek producer Rick Berman, that plans for Star Trek XI, aka The Beginning, have been scrapped. What's more, now that Paramount's television network, UPN, and the WB network are merging, the television side of the studio is taking firmer control of Star Trek's future, and that future is bleak.

Mirabello also acknowledged the serious flaws in Enterprise that led to its demise. "They had a hit show in the 1980's… they never really evolved with the times. People generally knew when an [Enterprise] episode was bad. We even had one director go to the producers and tell them he was ashamed to direct the episode where our crew turned into lizard people. The finale was one of those where you'd go down to the stage and see people shaking their heads while reading the script."

"The TV side is now technically in control of the franchise's future," Mirabello apparently wrote on an Internet message board, "and [Viacom co-president] Les Moonves hates all things Sci-Fi. However, I think this is actually for the best - the public needs to want to see Star Trek again. The best way to achieve this is to take it away for a few years and then bring it back and do it right." (source: Scifi Pulse)

Back to the possibility of another film, however — how do Stewart's comments regarding an alternate Star Trek XI concept fit into the picture? "It's more likely that some executive had a casual conversation with him and brought up some hypotheticals which he ran with when some reporter asked him about Star Trek," suggested Mirabello. "[But] there's a chance that someone else at Paramount is planning something huge and keeping us out of the loop."

Some fans seem to think there's truth in that "but". What if Paramount has been keeping its options open behind Rick Berman's back? Co-producer Braga has already left the franchise; perhaps if Berman leaves and new blood takes over, Trek could be revitalized.
  Yes! Berman should leave and so should Trek....for a few years. The whole idea really needs new blood. The whole Star Trek: The Beginning sounded like another Berman "scrapping the bottom of the barrell for ideas" idea. A young Kirk and Spock? Awful, awful, awful.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to monkeyisevil)
Post #: 5
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 2/3/2006 6:32:12 PM   
Mason Verger

If the producers had not been greedy and limited "Star Trek" to one film every two years (like the James Bond franchise), people would still be interested. By bringing out three mediocre and almost identical TV series (DS9, Voyager, Enterprise), they've (temporarily?) killed this golden goose.  

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 3/3/2006 10:19:31 AM   
Timon

The latest news on the cancelled "Starfleet Acadamey" idea.

Producer Harve Bennett was one of Star Trek's go-to guys for many years, guiding the productions of Star Trek films II through V. Bennett gave a recent interview at Trek Nation, filling in some details on the franchise of late.

One of Bennett's most interesting pieces of information concerns Starfleet Academy, one of the rumored prequel films that has been suggested as the next film in the series. Academy, as many Trek buffs know, was an older idea for Star Trek VI — based on a script of Bennett's — that came close to production after The Final Frontier. When Bennett decided it couldn't be done in time, however, The Undiscovered Country was made in its stead.

Bennett confirmed that the possibility of making Academy was revived recently, as Paramount began exploring its options for Star Trek XI.

This prequel project, which would be set during Kirk's era and even feature the captain himself, is the same one that
William Shatner pitched to Paramount
last fall.

If anyone's keeping score, that appears to be two prequel film concepts and one Picard-era concept that have withered in the halls of Viacom-Paramount since Nemesis's release. If any of them get revived, you'll be able to read about it here.
 Here's the interview with Bennett. Trek Nation: Did you follow the decline and cancellation of Enterprise?
Harve Bennett: No. I am very uninvolved in the subsequent series for one reason, and that is that Next Generation came on when we were still doing the films. I saw the pilot, but it was hard to be writing Star Trek V and see what would be happening beyond. So I never got into it. People ask me questions about everything from episodes to whether I knew Michael Piller, and I didn't. Berman was an executive at the studio, and I knew him well, but that was my only contact with The Next Generation.
Trek Nation: You were involved with the Starfleet Academy proposal.
Harve Bennett: I was very involved with that. We had a green light to picture which was cancelled only when there was a regime change at the studio and a concern that we should do something more conventional for the then-25th anniversary. We had 19 months to do it in. 19 months? There's no way to do a special effects picture in 19 months. The best time we had was Star Trek III, which was two years from concept to release date. And the reason for that is, we would write the script normally and that was an easy script, that was six weeks and we were ready to go. But the special effects planning takes the better part of the year. I said, 'It can't be done.' And then my time was up, so I left.
Trek Nation: Is that back in play now? There are rumors about it, it seems, every six months.
Harve Bennett: I'll tell you how recently it was. Before Sherry Lansing left [Paramount Pictures] last year, we had a meeting, about two years ago, in which I proposed that now was the time to do Starfleet Academy. And she loved it. We would have made it. But then she said the television department had asked her not to do it, because Enterprise was being produced and they thought that should be the prequel. Therefore, we did not do that. Could we make it now? If somebody wants to, I'm there. Technically, I'm retired, and non-technically but actually, I'm writing my own book. I'm considerably happy not to go into downtown Los Angeles every day.
Trek Nation: I'm not even sure, with the Viacom-CBS split, exactly who would make the decision to go ahead with the next movie or TV show.
Harve Bennett: I can't answer that question. I'm just as confused as you are. The whole conglomeration...I thought I understood it when Gulf & Western took over Paramount in my day. But I've lost track of it since. I still have a couple of connections there when I want to get legal things cleared up, though they may be gone now that Dreamworks is coming into the picture. If that deal goes through, I know at least three good friends who aren't going to be there. They'll put in their people.
Trek Nation: So you aren't actively pursuing the Starfleet Academy idea right now.
Harve Bennett: No, but I love it. Some of the steam went out of it when my dear DeForest Kelley died. He was going to be in it along with Bill and Leonard, those were the only two regulars, and they were involved in a flashback. That's how we incorporated the three main characters into the prequel: it was a memory. Kirk comes to the Academy to address the classmates and remembers his time, when they were 17.
Trek Nation: I had heard that Shatner was going to write a pilot, or was pitching something, along those lines...maybe it was to Pocket Books, not for television.
Harve Bennett: We always said that the benefit of doing this as a film was number one, you have nothing but good comes out of this because the original cast continues, the original Enterprise is there waiting to beam up our guys. Two, you have a potential television series called Starfleet Academy. I saw Bill a few weeks ago on the set of Boston Legal and Leonard I talk to occasionally from time to time. We remain friends. We're all about the same age. Critical this is a gentleman named Ralph Winter who was my associate producer on Star Trek II, and gradually became the man we all turned to for everything.
Trek Nation: I have to ask you, since you were talking about writing Star Trek III...the story I've heard is that at the end of II, Nimoy said, 'That's it, I'm not putting on the ears again. Kill me.'
Harve Bennett: That was true even before we did II. Everyone said, 'How are you going to get Leonard to do another one?' I had an idea. I went to see Leonard who was then in a play and we had dinner afterward, and I said to him, 'I know you don't want to do any more Star Trek. Leonard, do you remember Psycho? Do you remember that the biggest star in that picture was killed, to everyone's shock, 1/3 of the way into the picture?' He said yes, and I said, 'I want to do that with Spock. I will give you the most glorious death scene ever played.' He said that was a great idea, and he was on.
Now, Gene, the Great Bird, already thought it was tough because I was taking over and he was being shunted aside. I was in an uncomfortable position; I respected and liked him, but there's no way for the new guy to come in and not be resented. He was furious. The fanzines were 'it' before the internet and other organized fan activities, and Gene let the fanzines know that they were going to kill Spock. And thousands of letters came in!
Trek Nation: Gene himself was the leak?
Harve Bennett: That was the leak. Now, the studio got panicked and said, 'You can't kill him.' Leonard was already aboard, so we devised the simulation scene in which Leonard was killed, and the key line becomes, from Kirk, 'Aren't you dead?' And that relieved everybody. Then at the end we had the same problem, but it went to Nicholas [Meyer], the giant creative force, he wrote and directed it, I rewrote him and he knew nothing about Trek.
Trek Nation: And was directing the carrot you held out to Nimoy to bring him back?
Harve Bennett: No, what happened was, he had a wonderful time. Towards the middle of the picture, he confided in me and said, 'This is a lot different. If there's another one, I'd like to direct it.' I thought that was wonderful. So when we had our first preview, and Nicholas was adamant that he be dead dead dead dead dead, the audience was enthralled with the movie until the end and then it was a downer. We knew there would be no word of mouth on this picture. So we devised the ending as you know it, the additional scenes and Spock's voice at the end and 'Remember,' over Nick's objections until he saw the next audience which gave it a standing ovation. And everybody knew we now had a picture that was both poignant and hopeful. III wrote itself in six weeks because all the pieces were in place; nobody set out to do a trilogy but we ended up doing just that.
The longest laugh I have ever heard in a movie theater was in Moscow in 1987. We ran Star Trek IV with Cyrillic subtitles at the Moscow Motion Picture Academy on the occasion of the Russians signing the anti-whaling treaty, and the World Wildlife Foundation sent us to Moscow with this film, so we ran it. The film played exactly the way it played in America except for one line. Near the end of the film, they're in spacedock going to get their new ship and they're very pessimistic. And Bones explains that they'll get a freighter, because, I quote, 'The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.' The Moscow audience stands up and cheers!
Trek Nation: I don't want to ask you about nothing but Star Trek when you were involved in the proto-nighttime soap, Peyton Place
Harve Bennett: As an ABC executive development person. I can't claim much on it because the head of 20th Century Fox, the head of programming from ABC and me went to a dark screening room and watched a British kinescope called Tiffany Street or something like that and it was Peyton Place. ABC had purchased it and wanted to adapt it. We approved casting, that sort of stuff, but I really didn't have a personal involvement, just an executive involvement.
Trek Nation: Did having fought in Korea affect how you saw Star Trek's military?
Harve Bennett: I didn't see combat. My background goes way back into World War II as a kid. You may have picked up that I was on a national radio program called Quiz Kids and we toured with war bond sales shows all across the country and in military camps. I grew up a lover of history and the military, so that was already inside this person. World War II, as so well defined by Tom Brokaw, was the greatest generation. I can't think of a time in American history or world history when one people was so united to do one thing. To preserve ourselves and humanity. It was an ultra-patriotic time. I'm so glad I was there. We had come out of the deepest of depressions, starving people everywhere, and for all the nobility of the war it was also an economic boom. People came out of World War II employed.
Trek Nation: Of all this, what are you proudest of?
Harve Bennett: You want the truth? Trek lovers have called me one of the most important people in science fiction, but I have never thought of myself as a science fiction maven. What I am, and it's because of the background I just talked about, I write about heroes, because I was born and raised in a heroic time. What I loved about Star Trek when I got the assignment was the very heroic male and female, the ethnicity, all that stuff that was a legacy of the Declaration of Independence, that was my attachment to it.
I left the service as a corporal but later on in life, there is a program run by the army called the Civilian Aides to the Secretary of the Army and there's one from each state, usually the dominant industry of the state, so California's is almost always someone associated with show business. I did eight years as the Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army from California, and I got to go everywhere from the Pentagon to Colorado missile bases to Panama to West Point. It was not the army that I knew, it was an all-volunteer army which was on a tight budget, the officers did not have staffs, and the uniforms of generals were shiny from too many cleanings. I gained a respect for these people that I never had as an enlisted man.

Post #: 7
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 3/3/2006 2:11:35 PM   
monkey6

It's encouraging to hear that Bill and Lenny are interested in some way of returning to the Trek universe, but I'm unable to get excited about Star Fleet Acadamy.

The prequel idea has been done now with Enterprise.

In my day dream state whilst here at work, I've just dreamt up the start of the next movie, as a homage to De, where the major characters ie Picard, Spock, etc are attending McCoy's funeral, and Kirk turns up revealing afterall that he didn't die, and all three combine along with TNG, DS9 and Voyager cameos in an epic tale that resolves open plotlines from the various movies and series (romulan peace treaty and Wesley Crusher etc).

I can't imagine much else beaming me anywhere near a cinema.

Live long and prosper!

I ain't gonna fall for no banana in my tailpipe!

Yee hah! Jester's dead!

Neil. Don't leave me like this. I can't feel nothin.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 3/3/2006 2:14:01 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: monkey6

It's encouraging to hear that Bill and Lenny are interested in some way of returning to the Trek universe, but I'm unable to get excited about Star Fleet Acadamy.

The prequel idea has been done now with Enterprise.

In my day dream state whilst here at work, I've just dreamt up the start of the next movie, as a homage to De, where the major characters ie Picard, Spock, etc are attending McCoy's funeral, and Kirk turns up revealing afterall that he didn't die, and all three combine along with TNG, DS9 and Voyager cameos in an epic tale that resolves open plotlines from the various movies and series (romulan peace treaty and Wesley Crusher etc).

I can't imagine much else beaming me anywhere near a cinema.

Live long and prosper!

I just want Bryan Singer to be involved as apparantly his idea for a Trek film is BIG. Plus i hear he's a fan of Deep Space Nine so i'd love to see some of those guys return. Like the idea of Ambassador Spock and co at the funeral of Admiral McCoy. Maybe Admirals Chekov and Sulu are kicking around as well. Not too sure about The Shat returning....

(in reply to monkey6)
Post #: 9
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 3/3/2006 2:35:39 PM   
monkey6

Ahh c'mon man, you gotta admit Kirks death in Generations was pants.

He deserves to be brought back to life, and live forever in Trek lore!

I ain't gonna fall for no banana in my tailpipe!

Yee hah! Jester's dead!

Neil. Don't leave me like this. I can't feel nothin.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 4/3/2006 7:13:29 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: monkey6

Ahh c'mon man, you gotta admit Kirks death in Generations was pants.

He deserves to be brought back to life, and live forever in Trek lore!

Well i'm not sure about that but his death was rather lame.
As he said in Trek V (rubbish!), "I've always known i'll die alone".......and he didn't!

(in reply to monkey6)
Post #: 11
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 4/3/2006 8:58:11 PM   
Arianwen

Kirk is very very dead (and over the hill) and they really really shouldn't bring him back. While both Insurrection and Nemesis were pants (and insurrection was by far the worst of the two) I can see another film with at least the Next Gen/DS9 crews in the works. A Voyager movie just wouldn't work - thye're home now, so what else is there to write about? And I'm really hoping it'll have no time travel/parallel universes as both have now been done to death. And no cloning either.... but, if they kill Wesley, then I won't care how much it is to go see it. A Brian Singer movie bringing back everyone save Kirk and the Voyager crew that kills Wesley (and possibly Deanna 'whinypants' Troi too). Perfect.

"Mercy is the mark of a great man."
(pokes with sword)
"Guess I'm just a good man."
(pokes again)
"Well, I'm alright."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
RE: STAR TREK 11 - Title missing from ImDb.....is it al... - 5/3/2006 2:35:50 PM   
Oddjob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

The next one is going to be called :
Star Trek 11: The Search For More Money

Nah, that's Spaceballs 2!

Post #: 13
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 22/3/2006 7:35:51 PM   
Timon

There's an incredible, in depth article about the cancelled Star Trek Acadamey film on Aintitcool. I have mixed feelings about it; on one hand it would be rather cool but one the other, Enterprise has already done and semi-ruined the prequel idea and who would portray these well loved characters in their youth?

Anyway, here's the article

< Message edited by Timon -- 22/3/2006 7:36:21 PM >

(in reply to Oddjob)
Post #: 14
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 14/4/2006 1:53:06 PM   
Timon

The latest. If anyone is interested. Who am i kidding, i think it's only me that is....

From IGN Filmforce

It's a grand story that could have been the next three Star Trek films: Tiberius Chase, ancestor of James T. Kirk, helps lead the charge in a bloody and violent war against the Romulans, and the United Federation of Planets — led by Earth — coalesces out of the midst of that struggle. So says Erik Jendresen, who wrote the screenplay for the first part of a Star Trek prequel trilogy last year.

"We wanted to reveal the actual cause of [the Romulan War], which was surprising to all involved at the time," Jendresen explained to Sy Fy Portal. "We simply wanted to reveal the truth behind that startling incident. …We [had] a chance here to fill in the canon, and to create a continuum ostensibly from the beginning from Enterprise all the way out to the future.

"It should also be indicated that the ultimate intention here was to craft a story that would not only completely satisfy the fans, but just as importantly, bring new people into the franchise."

One of the people pushing Star Trek to re-discover its past was Paramount's then-co-president, David DeLine; but by the time the script draft was completed, the personnel at the top of the studio had shifted. DeLine was no longer involved, and Star Trek: The Beginning was moved to "inactive" status: not officially dead, but not going anywhere either.

"Star Trek XI is dead because it's not moving forward. It's like a shark. It has got to keep moving or it's dead."

In light of Jendresen's comments, it's not so surprising that executives uninvolved with Star Trek: The Beginning might have discussed other film possibilities with Patrick Stewart. The Next Generation was the most popular among all the Trek television series, and it's still a good candidate for future films.

Don't count out Star Trek yet. The galaxy just holds too many possibilities.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 14/4/2006 8:44:07 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Woah, that sounded like a cool idea. Shame it's been dumped.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 21/4/2006 11:05:30 AM   
Timon

Looks like it hasn't been dumped.

From Empire Online

It’s official: Paramount is either in love with Mission: Impossible 3 director JJ Abrams or they really, really want to torture him. How else to explain the fact that the company has decided to give him the job of resuscitating the Star Trek franchise.

For once, its not just idle fan speculation, it’s the solid truth: Paramount chief Brad Grey has handed the keys of the Enterprise to the man who created Lost and Alias and told him to go for a little joyride.

Except that the ol’ NCC-1701 (that's the Enterprise to you people who don't know the show inside out) won’t actually turn up in Star Trek XI – because his plan is to focus on the early years of James T Kirk and Mr Spock, back at a time when they were fresh faced cadets just starting out at Starfleet Academy. And no amount of make-up would convince anyone that William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy are hot young whippersnappers. So if we see the Shat or the Nim at all, it’ll likely be in wrap-around bookend scenes.

Abrams is bringing over some of his regular collaborators, as Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman (who worked on Alias and M:I:III) will pen the script. And his Lost co-producers Bryan Burk and Damien Lindelof are also on board. Which means Trek fans can celebrate the fact that loathed producer Rick Berman appears to be nowhere near this new project.

The idea of a Starfleet Academy project had been mooted as far back as the early ‘90s, when Paramount was thinking about rebooting the movie franchise and having Star Trek VI chronicle Kirk’s formative years. But more recent rumours had called for a story that took place before Kirk was even born.

Still, the big issue is the franchise itself. Abrams’ involvement will spark plenty of interest, and Star Trek remains fairly popular. But with the latest TV show (Enterprise) having gone out in a whimper of cancellation and the previous film (Nemesis) flopping, is there still mass-market appeal for the United Federation Of Planets? Looks like Abrams is about to find out when the film arrives in 2008.

Interesting. Although personally i'd have prefered Bryan Singer resurrecting Trek and JJ Abrams going ahead with his postponed Sinking of the USS Indianopolis film...

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 17
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 22/4/2006 8:29:09 AM   
Castor Troy

I'm pleased with Abrams attachment - it'll be good to have fresh blood on the scene and he's more than competant judging by the MI:3 trailers. But the story doesn't really excite me.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 18
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 28/4/2006 3:00:21 PM   
Picard1010

I want to start out by saying that I'm absolutely thrilled about the idea of a Star Trek prequel with appearences by Bill Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. I've been impressed with Harve Bennett's "Star Fleet Academy" idea since William Shatner mentioned it in his book "Star Trek: Movie Memories". It would be an excellent way to introduce the fans to Kirk, Spock, and Mcoy. Of course they would have to find a way to write in the death of Deforest Kelly and perhaps James Doohan also for the later scenes in the movie. But I think that with some creative thinking they could come up with something that would please the fans. I also think that the only person that could pull this thing off is Harve Bennett. While I like JJ Abrams and his work on "LOST" I would rather have Harve working on the project.

I think that the reason that the "Enterprise" series failed so completely is that it was'nt properly introduced. The franchise went from the time of Voyager and DS9 all the way back to before Kirk and Spock entirely too quickly. I think that if they make this prequel it will open the franchise back up and they will have story lines to write for a long time to come. I sincerely hope that it will not be just idle studio talk and that someone will get behind this thing and push it foward. Star Trek is NOT dead and should be actively pursued for many years to come.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 19
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 28/4/2006 6:54:16 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I think the Kirk films actually felt like movie events - they had a proper cinematic feel about them. 2,3,4 and 6 are all great movies IMO and ST1 definately has an epic feel to it despite being a bit long winded. Plus the original crew were more of an interesting bunch than the NG crew.

The next generation movies (even the better ones) still felt like souped up extended episodes, especially the execrable Insurrection.

I think you need a fresh start - you can't use the original crew - too old or sadly passed away, and the NG bunch have had their run - I personally reckon they should send it far into the future and get a couple of star names on board. Why not rope in some A-list actors and a big director? There's bound to be a Star Trek fan in some of those big names.

It would be cool seeing a top actor/ actress at the helm of a starship -and with a good script and a quality director we may well see this series propelled back to the stars!!

(in reply to Picard1010)
Post #: 20
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 24/5/2006 10:09:08 AM   
Timon

Lost is arguably one of the best shows on TV these days, a hybrid of adventure and science fiction with an audience the last Star Trek series could only have dreamed of. It can only be good news that many of the people behind Lost are gearing up to make Star Trek XI — a prequel chapter that could rejuvenate the movie franchise.

Bryan Burk, executive producer of Lost, confirmed to Sci Fi Wire that he too is part of the team developing Trek XI, along with Lost co-creators Damon Lindelof and J.J. Abrams.

Burk played down the rumors that the upcoming Star Trek prequel would involve a young Kirk and Spock at Starfleet; the production team is not sharing any story information at this point. "I can tell you that [the film announcement] leaked out prematurely, so there's no formal statement made from any of us, other than we all couldn't be more excited about it."

"We actually have this thing where we're just not talking about it outside of [our team] right now. And to say I'm excited is the understatement of the [year]."

Although Patrick Stewart had his share of involvement in Trek XI rumors prior to the prequel announcement, the actor acknowledges it's unlikely that he'll play any part in another Star Trek film. He explained the situation to Coming Soon:

"The whole creative and business side of [Paramount] has undergone a huge transformation and apparently, Abrams is a huge fan of Star Trek— the original one and The Next Generation. [However,] I have not heard one mention that this would in any way involve The Next Generation, so I think it would be unlikely."

Involved or not, Stewart will maintain an interest in how the film turns out, as he explained to IGN FilmForce in a recent interview.

"I would just watch that space with interest. Whether it involves me or any of the Next Generation cast, who knows? But it's interesting for me to hear that there is strong enthusiasm at the studio in going down that path one more time."
  I'm glad they seem to be veering away from the 'young Kirk' idea. Perhaps they can come up with something both original and epic.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 21
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 24/5/2006 3:19:26 PM   
Darth Lex

Stewart is not interested in ST anymore, so I think there won't be any movies. What a pity :(

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 22
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 21/7/2006 6:03:05 PM   
Timon

Latest from Abrams on new Trek film.

J.J. Abrams is still mum on details of the Star Trek XI screenplay he's writing with Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci. However, he hopes to produce a story that will please die-hard trekkers while making new fans from among ordinary filmgoers. "We absolutely feel beholden to the fans," the producer of the next Trek film told Variety, "but at the same time, we have to recognize that you can't only go out and make a movie or TV shows for a group of people that live and breathe a show." Abrams intends to make a film that "simultaneously speaks to the people who hold Star Trek close to their heart, and at the same time tell a story that resonates [with everyone]."

Abrams — who has not yet decided if he will direct — feels that balance can be struck through the powerful themes familiar to viewers from previous series and films. "Star Trek to me was always … a show about purpose, about faith vs. logic, about science vs. emotion, about us vs. them. It was its own world, and yet it was our world.

"[Trek] was always my favorite when it was a little bit scary, when they would deal with beaming something on the ship that was an incredible mystery or there was a clear threat.

"All of these things I loved about the series is what we're working to incorporate into the story for the movie."

Abrams elaborates on this vision in an interview with the latest edition of Cinefantastique magazine:

"The key to doing any of these things correctly is that it has to treat the situation and the characters with the exact respect and integrity that you'd treat any drama, whether it happens to be a comedy or science-fiction. You can't tell the story in a cheap or pandering way, […] it just doesn't hold water."

Ultimately, Star Trek XI is intended to be not just one more go at some box office profit, but a revival of the entire franchise. Abrams, for his part, is optimistic about Trek's future. "I'm a real fan of Star Trek and I think there is without question life left in that series. I think that the fact that they ran so many series for so long, including an after-the-film series, is sort of remarkable, and I think that this downtime is only good for it."

Paramount is similarly hopeful about reviving Trek. "We talked about Star Trek and turning the biggest franchise in Paramount history [around] for a rebirth," studio president Gail Berman recently told Variety. "[Hiring Abrams]was the natural progression."

Can the next Star Trek bring back to life what many thought Nemesis and Enterprise had killed? Watch this space for developments!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 23
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 23/8/2006 7:32:40 PM   
Timon

The script isn't even written, casting rumours are still abound (Matt Damon as Capt. Kirk?!) but apparantly Michael Giacchino is already planning his Trek score.

Giacchino said, "it's kind of on the distant radar. I know they're working on it. [But] it is so far away we haven't even discussed it yet." In addition to his television work, Giacchino previously composed scores for The Incredibles and Sky High.

When asked if he expects to approach the Star Trek XI score in the same way he did the music for Mission: Impossible III, which referenced the previous films and the TV series, he said that he may cherry-pick some of the cues that he likes and discard others. "I think that ultimately you might pick the theme that you think is the important one and utilize that in a certain way and then go completely somewhere else with it," Giacchino said. "That would be I guess in the same way as Mission: Impossible was fun like that to take that and go somewhere wholly different with the score that the other two dudes didn't do. Not that it's better or worse but just different."

The next installment in the Trek franchise is expected to be a reboot of the series that will focus on the early days of Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 24/8/2006 11:26:07 AM   
ManofMystery

quote:

I think you need a fresh start - you can't use the original crew - too old or sadly passed away, and the NG bunch have had their run - I personally reckon they should send it far into the future and get a couple of star names on board. Why not rope in some A-list actors and a big director? There's bound to be a Star Trek fan in some of those big names.

It would be cool seeing a top actor/ actress at the helm of a starship -and with a good script and a quality director we may well see this series propelled back to the stars!!

Now that would be an exciting premise or we could just have the entire alpha quadrant(and the dominion) in a massive civil war started by  Q " because im omnipotant and i can"
battle sequences ala last seasons of ds9 on the cinema screen in a singer/abrahams collaboration.

AK47 When you absolutely positivly have to kill every mother f***er in the room except no substitutes

Your going to need a bigger boat

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 25
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 12/9/2006 8:21:25 PM   
fantasy89

I heard that in the cast ther's probably Matt Damon (wat the...!?!) if its true, well folks, we' re going the wrong way!!!!

I'm not me, I'm you!

(in reply to ManofMystery)
Post #: 26
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 13/9/2006 3:44:02 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

[[/quote]

Well i'm not sure about that but his death was rather lame.
As he said in Trek V (rubbish!), "I've always known i'll die alone".......and he didn't!
[/quote]

Er, wasn't he alone on Enterprise B when he clocked it?  No one else in the deflector room.  That defines alone methinks (Spock & McCoy weren't there).

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 27
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 13/9/2006 6:32:12 PM   
Timon

Yeah but he didn't die on the Enterprise B, he died buried under a pile of rubble with Picard leaning over him.

(in reply to Ryan_D_Bell)
Post #: 28
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 14/9/2006 1:15:02 PM   
Darth Lex

Matt Damon? Remember Team America?

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 29
RE: Future Star Trek Films - 14/9/2006 3:33:30 PM   
impqueen

Abrams is a good choice even though I thought MI3 was pants, I do however love Lost. I really hope if they do make another film it will be in the tradition of Star Trek and not some completely new bollocks, I was disappointed with the last film though so maybe new life is needed.

Yet if it is being made I’m glad Nimoy and Shatner might be consulted (mainly due to a Spock fascination) however the whole thing appears to be somewhat pointless and just being done for some extra cash, milking it for all it’s worth.  

Matt Damon is a really really stupid choice.  I also don’t believe bringing back the NG lot will work either.

I love the Sci-Fi Channel at the moment though 2 Episodes of classic, brilliant and down right funny Star Trek everyday! Some bints stole Spock's brain yesterday it was an awesome episode (even the 100th + time around)   

Yes, always.

(in reply to Darth Lex)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Future Star Trek Films Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI