Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  160 161 162 163 [164]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 18/2/2015 9:49:36 PM   
Goodfella

As frustration mounts with the way the club is currently being run, the fan's trust have called an emergency meeting this evening to hear fans thoughts and feelings on the situation and action an approach to the club, and most likely Richard Murray. The club decided to pre-counter this last week by inviting 200-odd "VIP season-ticket holders" (lord knows what that constitutes) to a fans forum last night where they hauled out both the football, business and administrative side of the club for a Q and A, including a friend of mine's who's name I won't pass given the nature of the internet, who I'm disappointed attended given I know he holds some pretty forthright questions himself.

The whole Q and A was posted on the club's youtube channel;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpjPOqHhc54

I found the whole thing incredibly frustrating to watch. It was as I expected, a glossy publicity stunt in the tightly controlled confines of the club. It got quite heated towards the end which was mainly due to Katrien Meire's smug and dismissive attitude of fans genuine questions, and as expected the ante started to heat up from the cheap seats, whilst Tony Watt and Johnnie Jackson became visibly more awkward as it went on. Our 'non-executive chairman' Richard Murray, who as far as I'm concerned has tarnished his reputation by being paid under the table to smooth over the owner's image, showed up late which wasn't at all fashionable given the circumstances, and I don't think I saw him , Meire or Joyes at any one single moment communicate with Steve Avory who looked a million miles away. Whilst Meire argues the case she and Duchatelet understand the fans concerns and have no self-serving model which is designed purely on an insular, Belgian-dictated networking, she finds many of the questions difficult to answer and uses humour to try and escape the thinly-veiled difficulties. The case where she tries to argue moving forward with stability is hilarious given we've sacked three managers inside one calendar year but we are supposed to believe now that is suddenly the case?

I also find it insulting that she continues on down this line of denial that the club did interview other candidates all inside a 36-hour period between Bob Peeters sacking and Guy Luzon's appointment and his candidacy being the best available. It is nonsense to suggest in any business model, whether it be a professional football club or a local newsagent, that this is a fair, thorough and considered process and search of the whole field in that time-frame. That means of one of two things; it is being recklessly managed, or the process had already taken place. Either prove staunch dishonesty, which is what has caused so much anger and distrust from the fans. It is the same with player recruitment, where Meire argues we have faired better with Belgian-sourced players and were battling relegation this time last year and we find ourselves in the same spot this season. To suggest there is some kind of big difference is both distancing yourselves from the fans further and perhaps even lying to yourself through your own clouded judgement and desperation to see your plan succeed.

I found her rude and dismissive of fans questions, at one point she even starts to get angry giving the story about the decision to sack Peeters. I found she got little support from around her apart from passive silence and I found as she continued to answer in such a manner the tone really dropped in the room. The club always hosts this annual event but intentionally moved it's date to last night in order to disrupt the narrative and distract from tonight's meeting. I can only hope it is not successful because there is clearly so much that does not add up and those of us brave and, frankly, intelligent enough to stand up to this need to keep fighting otherwise this club has gone forever.

We'll lose to Wigan as well, we beat a no-show Brentford side 3-0 and Luzon's milking of the applause at the end was infuriating to watch. I hate what this club is becoming, I've already decided Huddersfield a week Saturday is the last time I'll be attending, and it couldn't be a more fitting occasion to depart than watching a true Charlton hero walk off the field in another team's colours which is exactly how I feel right now.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4891
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 22/2/2015 9:29:58 PM   
Goodfella

I'm not too sure what to make of the last two results. It doesn't change my opinions whatsoever about the way the club is being run as I don't think you get any sort of systemic change, for good or worse, inside a couple of days. We've played two teams at opposite ends of the table but both of whom didn't really turn up and were sub-par in their football. We defended well, were better organized and had a spark about us, but we equally weren't going to lose forever and likely to turn in a couple of performances at some stage. I'm not at sold on Guy Luzon, I can't put my faith long-term in such an inexperienced manager who was so spectacularly sacked by the owner from his other football club after taking them from 2nd place in the league to 12th in a more inferior standard of football.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4892
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 1/3/2015 9:57:29 PM   
Goodfella

The warmth of the welcome home for Chris Powell yesterday went beyond anything I had hoped or expected for. It was the most sincere, and quite emotional for everybody involved. Powell described it as something "you'd never see for an opposition manager elsewhere in the game" and he's probably right, I don't think there was one single person not on their feet applauding him and very few not singing his name. The level was actually on about a par with Tony Watt's glorious second goal. He got it from all of us fans when arriving and leaving the pitch, and in the third minute, he played a tad surprised but his words afterwards shows he wasn't really. He still has so much respect for the club that he won't comment on current internal matters although he did expose the ownership's treatment of him and the running concerns over the way they are managing the club in a Friday interview with the Evening Standard - Chris Powell interview. But he knows, that no matter how much RD and Meire talk of a 'love' for Charlton bringing us all closer together, it's people like Powell who will always, no matter what, be the true heart and soul of Charlton that's relationship with the supporters is incomparable to others. Powell is probably in an exclusive seven with Curbs, Keith Peacock, Richard Rufus, Clive Mendonca, Matt Holland and Mark Kinsella. Those seven are a connecting point for so many generations of fans and all played a key part in what has generated our most successful era as a football club. They sweated blood for us and I was so pleased it wasn't just not forgotten, but that everybody was together yesterday, not in using it as a turning point on the current owner or CEO but rather out of respect for the 14 years Chrissy gave us as a player and a manager. We wouldn't be where we are right now without his efforts, for so many different reasons.

I have to credit Guy Luzon for some good counter-attacking football yesterday. I also wonder if his quick exit down the tunnel was his show of respect for Powell, to give him his chance to say goodbye to the supporters properly, he was quiet onto the pitch too which is strange given his exuberance. I am concerned about the longevity of his position due to his inexperience and chequered past but I cannot argue too much at three 3-0 wins in four games, nor at the signing of Tony Watt, who is growing on me. He's speedy, strong, keeps his balance well and has developed a good relationship up front with Igor Vetokele, the pair are a handful for defences, both can hold the ball up well and play off each other. I don't think we played very well at all in the first half, Morgan Fox is a liability at left-back and a beautifully-shaped free kick and clumsiness from Huddersfield in the final third gave us a 1-0 lead. In the second half though we were physical, stretched the field and played positive football and got the ball into the feet of Watt and Vetokele. An early goal killed it off and to be honest with a bit more precision it could have been four or five. Watt's goals were sublime, the turn and manouvere away from the defenders for the second showed just how much of a task he is to handle. Jordan Cousins worked tirelessly all game, so much so he probably even deserves man of the match over Watt.

Time will tell with the football club, our future is full of uncertainty, our past is brimming with many good memories that Chelsea fans and their like may snigger at but are wonderful moments of achievement and pride for a club like ourselves and a man who played such a pivotal role left to chants of 'Chrissy Powell's red and white army' as he left the field yesterday having just had his new club beaten 3-0 by us with a new manager finally feeling expecting to feel some appeasement. Not a hint of irony to them, I just hope Duchatelet and Meire were watching closely.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 2/3/2015 11:37:07 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4893
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 7/8/2015 10:33:51 AM   
ElephantBoy

Anyone want to make some predictions for the new season? My local club Brighton kick off the season tonight at Home to Forest. I expect
a better season for them this time but don't expect much beyond a 14th place finish its very much a rebuilding phase for them right but they
have a good manager to do that.

Will be interesting to see how Preston and Leeds do. The top of table looks very predicable with the likes of Derby, Middlesborough looking
the most likely, but Burnley should have a strong say, and someone like Leeds could be an outside bet for the play-offs if they keep their
manager for the whole season I think Blackburn and Ipswich could also be strong although Rovers may have a few key players to replace.

In League One I hope to see my home town club Peterborough finally get up so will back them to get a play off place at least. Sheffield Utd
are the big hitters in that league and will be huge expectations on them. Big seasons for Blackpool and Wigan too.

Enjoy your seasons everyone!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4894
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 8/8/2015 2:24:14 AM   
ElephantBoy

Really impressive performance by Brighton tonight. They played some wonderful football and worked really hard as a team, and I like how
they just kept their cool despite it taking awhile to get the break through. The goal when it came was worth waiting for, it was a great strike.
Forest were awful though, they just fed off scraps and looked totally out of sorts. A good opening to the new season and a fine atmosphere
at the Amex.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4895
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 9/8/2015 10:59:09 AM   
ElephantBoy

Was a little bit sad to see that the Football League highlights have been moved from the BEEB to Channel Five which would surely mean
less people viewing them, or that it would be harder anyway. On the plus side I think Kelly Cate is a great up grade as host. Think I will
seek the show out.

Great start for MK Dons yesterday. At this rate Robinson will have a few top flight clubs sniffing around him. I can see QPR doing a Fulham
from last season. Just so much pressure on them, expect them to lose a few of their best players (including Austin), and I just think the
manager lacks the experience to steady the ship. I wish him well though.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 4896
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 11/8/2015 6:33:44 PM   
ElephantBoy

A few tasty looking fixtures in the League Cup tonight. My Mum's local club Morecambe have a big home tie against Sheffield Utd who I'm
guessing are more focused on promotion. Could be a good scalp for the league two side to take. Southend against Brighton stands out
also, just because my mates from Southend and I currently live in Brighton Sounds like a good game besides that though

Post #: 4897
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 23/8/2015 6:33:35 PM   
ElephantBoy

Almost a great result for Morecambe yesterday against Portsmouth. The fight back does show what Pompy are made of, still a good point for Morecambe. Look forward to seeing that match on the highlights. Ipswich looking good again in the Championship, fancy them to go up this season whether its through the Play-Offs or top two. Will be interesting to see how high Brighton can finish. Think Gary Bowler could be under pressure at Blackburn.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4898
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 26/8/2015 1:50:23 PM   
ElephantBoy

Great draw for Walsall getting Chelsea in the next round of the Cup should be a great couple of nights for midlands Football. It does annoy me that the PL big guns have mostly got what look like easy draws. Good luck to Walsall anyway.

Post #: 4899
Page:   <<   < prev  160 161 162 163 [164]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  160 161 162 163 [164]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI