Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  159 160 161 162 [163]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 16/9/2014 10:18:16 PM   
CORLEONE

LEEDS UNITED HAVE WON A FOOTBALL MATCH ON A TUESDAY NIGHT.

THAT IS ALL.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4861
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 18/9/2014 8:50:33 PM   
ElephantBoy

So has Oily got the boot yet/resigned yet? If so it is no surprise and just reinforces that Cardiff should have stuck with Malkey in the first place. Its still early of course but I see them struggling to get out of the Championship this season.

Am pretty pleased with Brighton's form considering they have a lot of youth and a unproven manager. A mid-table finish and a good cup run would be good for them this season.

Peterborough and Morecambe my other two clubs of interest still in strong positions.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 4862
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 30/9/2014 9:35:46 PM   
Goodfella

Bloody hell Charlton, take it easy, you're starting to make me a believer!!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 4863
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 30/9/2014 9:39:55 PM   
Scott_

I prefer it when your miserable to be honest, makes me feel better about Leeds.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4864
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 30/9/2014 9:44:52 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

I prefer it when your miserable to be honest, makes me feel better about Leeds.

I've been able to claw the pessimism out of recent dropped points and some shoddy post-international break performances but to go to Norwich, another promotion-worthy team, and come out on top and take our unbeaten start into double digits. Well.....

call me converted. This is pretty fucking fantastic.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4865
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 30/9/2014 9:54:10 PM   
Scott_

Fuck you and your seemingly well run Football club.

It's not too bad at Leeds to be fair. Yes, the owner is fucking mental (in a good way, he watched the Brentford game with the away fans) but for once we have a decent core of young players coming up rather than relying on old mercenary premier league rejects. Excited to see Adryan get some game time, he's supposed to be a wonderkid and if FIFA 14 is any indication, he will tear shit up.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4866
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 30/9/2014 11:44:05 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Fuck you and your seemingly well run Football club.

It's not too bad at Leeds to be fair. Yes, the owner is fucking mental (in a good way, he watched the Brentford game with the away fans) but for once we have a decent core of young players coming up rather than relying on old mercenary premier league rejects. Excited to see Adryan get some game time, he's supposed to be a wonderkid and if FIFA 14 is any indication, he will tear shit up.

I don't know just yet about that "well-run" part. RD still has a few answers to give on the longer-term objectives and what it's all going to mean, but the new manager is good, even if he is ex-Millwall....

Are you sure that's a good way? The last owner to do that was Mike Ashley, and they can't fucking abide him now. Oh yes, Leeds have the future Neymar apparently........and FIFA14 ratings are always a good benchmark.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4867
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 1/10/2014 8:08:33 AM   
jonson

You wouldn't have got that result under Chris Powell.
I tell you though, the Championship is going to be a mental league again this season.
You can start to see a small group (top 8 or 9) just starting to get away (there will be the inevitable second half rush by a couple no doubt) the standard is very high again, but you've made a good start 'fella, as have Wolves, kept the momentum going, but I still think whoever finishes above Derby and Florist get there. They'll be the teams to beat this season.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4868
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 1/10/2014 3:18:47 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

You wouldn't have got that result under Chris Powell.
I tell you though, the Championship is going to be a mental league again this season.
You can start to see a small group (top 8 or 9) just starting to get away (there will be the inevitable second half rush by a couple no doubt) the standard is very high again, but you've made a good start 'fella, as have Wolves, kept the momentum going, but I still think whoever finishes above Derby and Florist get there. They'll be the teams to beat this season.

I won't go that far just yet. After all we beat you under Powelly didn't we?

I think it'll be another tough season in this league with a fag paper only required in separating wedges of teams, whether you're talking about the play-off's or the bottom six or seven. I fancy Forest to start converting these draws back into wins and to do a Cardiff and pull away from the back, they should be as they have a superior squad to anyone else and that self-belief around the club now. For ourselves we just need to keep playing the way we are. I like the way Bob Peeters is managing this team, he's studied the opposition hard and makes the necessary changes to the formation, shape and personnel and he goes looking to get a result from absolutely every game. Last night was quite smash and grab but he knew if we could set our stall out at the back early a chance may come our way and we could get more than just a point. For a former striker Peeters recognises how it starts up top and at the back and understands the physicality of this league which is why he's brought Igor Vetokele, Andre Bikey and Tal Ben Haim to the club. Stephen Henderson has also done really well in goal and we have a couple of 17 year-old academy products, Joe Gomez and Karl Ahearne-Grant, in and around the first team as Peeters moves forward with the project of blending youth and experience.

We have the momentum and confidence now and at the moment luck is going our way too. The bubble will burst at some stage though and a real test will be how we bounce back from that. But for now we look forward to Birmingham and a game where we are, for once, looking favourites. We are not looking beyond that whatsoever. You can tell from the way Peeters talks and sets our teams out that it is one game at a time and let's just see where we are at the end of each month. There is absolutely no pressure on him or us whatsoever, no-one expected us to finish anywhere near the top six after last season let alone all the off-season changes, and at the moment the team is playing with lots of energy, confidence and commitment. We'll see where that goes.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 1/10/2014 3:21:07 PM >

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4869
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 1/10/2014 4:35:28 PM   
ElephantBoy

Good point for Brighton against Forest at the weekend. At the moment it looks a season of struggle for them, but that is a result they can try and
build on. Also, good to see them get Spurs in the cup just a shame it is away.

Am starting to feel quite smug after Norwich's start compared with Fulham and Cardiff.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4870
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 24/10/2014 8:03:57 PM   
Goodfella

Ugh, in front of the television cameras again, 15 minutes in and we've been fucking awful!

First goal was on Solly, gave the ball away. Second goal was on poor tactics, why are we not playing Buyens in the hole again so we don't give Parker, a player we should know somewhat well, all this running room to pull the strings!?

Fans are offering excellent support and we're playing like a disinterested and lazy team.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 24/10/2014 8:04:29 PM >

Post #: 4871
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 25/10/2014 6:59:44 PM   
Goodfella

Stay hilarious Leeds, stay hilarious.

Six games is not nearly long enough to implement yourself as a manager, especially in such a high-pressure job like the Leeds one. But then again, by the same token, was he ever the right appointment? Why does that crackpot Cellino refuse to give Neil Redfearn the job on a permanent basis despite how well the team clearly respond and fare when he's been in temporary charge? The reason being offered by some that Leeds don't want Redfearn to leave his successful role with the academy is absolute rubbish. The most pivotal role in any football club is first-team manager and his history and experience with some of the younger players in the squad will be better than any Italian Tom, Dick or Harry Cellino chooses to appoint. You can find another very good academy manager out there, you have not had a steady hand at the top of the pile, where it matters most. Learn from this and at least give Redfearn the job until the end of the season.

Or prepare to be in this same spot again next year. Also, for all the money in the world, the guy is clearly an impatient, twattish lunatic. That is not going to work out long-term, I don't care if he throws wads of cash from atop the Billy Bremner statue...

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4872
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 30/10/2014 10:29:12 PM   
ElephantBoy

Here's a strange one. At the weekend me and my mate went to a local match in Lewes, and on the way back we both saw two Brighton
supporters who had left the match before half-time. The one I saw said he left the match after ten minutes. Now things have been going
bad lately, but by that sort of reaction you would think that they were two nil down and playing really badly, yet the match ended 1-1 and the
first goal didn't come until the 40th minute and it was Brighton who got it. So I have no idea what those guys were smoking! Plus attending
a Brighton game isn't normally cheap.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4873
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 16/11/2014 9:36:39 AM   
Goodfella

The Ched Evans episode continues on with both the police and Sheffield United now investigating tweets sent to Jessica Ennis threatening her with rape after she announced she'd want her name removed from a stand if the club resigns Evans. This problem is really quite simple, and it has nothing to do with the money that Evans could earn, he could go out and buy a lottery ticket tomorrow and win and there's nothing we can do or should do about it. This is about image and influence. Evans shouldn't play football again, but there shouldn't be a law for that to have to happen. This should be a simple case of morals from a club's perspective and from everybody associated with them. Nobody should want to sign Evans because club's should be happy to take a moral stance and realise that putting somebody who has been convicted of such a crime into such a position of influence is not only reflecting very poorly on them but also puts him back in the position of a role model, which a convicted rapist, regardless of whether he's served his time or not, most certainly shouldn't be.

People say, 'but he's served his time, he should be able to at least return to his job?'. This is a defence I only hear when it comes to sportsmen and women and those in a position of effective celebrity status. You won't hear this defence for a convicted teacher or police officer, and rightly so. But for a footballer it shouldn't be any different, we all know this game, we all know the influence the people in it have and we also all know how there are a significant portion of fans in this game who are less than intelligent enough to figure it out. We've already all heard the chants, seen the tweets, watched the hostility. This should be open and shut in a morally fair world but that's the problem right there, modern sport is driven ultimately by money and success, and at the expense of absolutely everything else. That's why Ched Evans will probably get a new contract, and I wouldn't administer total blame to Sheffield United there. This isn't a Sheffield United problem, I'll happily lay a large sum of money that they wouldn't be the only club to start going down this road.

Returning to the football now though. International weekend scheduling frustrates the tits off me, especially given we've got Millwall next weekend. Bournemouth ended our unbeaten run after the last break because we didn't get everyone back on time or healthy, really hope that's not the case for next Saturday as I want to finally end this duck against those tossers. We've responded really well to both our losses this season and I credit Bob Peeters for that, we could have slid and we didn't let that happen and the win against Reading was big because we needed a result on the road like that and it's put us right back in contention. There's a big gap starting to grow between the top eight and nine and the lower middle of the table too, which is always good to see. I've said all along that November is when the league really starts to take shape and you have a better idea of how everyone's faring, so to be eight and just five points off the top is a terrific position given all the changes and our struggles last season.

Igor Vetokele is a difference-maker for us too. We have to keep him fit because if we can finish in the top six he'll be a big part of the reason why. He's a dangerous finisher who has size, speed, touch and control. He's a higher-level player without a shadow of a doubt and I don't think he'll be with us for long but the impact he could have before he goes could be big.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 16/11/2014 9:39:49 AM >

Post #: 4874
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/11/2014 10:01:13 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

The Ched Evans episode continues on with both the police and Sheffield United now investigating tweets sent to Jessica Ennis threatening her with rape after she announced she'd want her name removed from a stand if the club resigns Evans. This problem is really quite simple, and it has nothing to do with the money that Evans could earn, he could go out and buy a lottery ticket tomorrow and win and there's nothing we can do or should do about it. This is about image and influence. Evans shouldn't play football again, but there shouldn't be a law for that to have to happen. This should be a simple case of morals from a club's perspective and from everybody associated with them. Nobody should want to sign Evans because club's should be happy to take a moral stance and realise that putting somebody who has been convicted of such a crime into such a position of influence is not only reflecting very poorly on them but also puts him back in the position of a role model, which a convicted rapist, regardless of whether he's served his time or not, most certainly shouldn't be.

People say, 'but he's served his time, he should be able to at least return to his job?'. This is a defence I only hear when it comes to sportsmen and women and those in a position of effective celebrity status. You won't hear this defence for a convicted teacher or police officer, and rightly so. But for a footballer it shouldn't be any different, we all know this game, we all know the influence the people in it have and we also all know how there are a significant portion of fans in this game who are less than intelligent enough to figure it out. We've already all heard the chants, seen the tweets, watched the hostility. This should be open and shut in a morally fair world but that's the problem right there, modern sport is driven ultimately by money and success, and at the expense of absolutely everything else. That's why Ched Evans will probably get a new contract, and I wouldn't administer total blame to Sheffield United there. This isn't a Sheffield United problem, I'll happily lay a large sum of money that they wouldn't be the only club to start going down this road.

Firstly he's not served his time, he's out of license. Secondly the club haven't offered him a contract, they've agreed to a request from the PFA for him to be allowed to train in order to gain fitness to find employement. In my opinion the club have handled this incredably poorly because they didn't come out very early and state that unless his conviction is overturned on appeal (which isn't going to happen, regardless of what some fans think), the club woudn't consider resigning him.
The coverage is extremly negative at the minute, and the media are loving keeping it going. For example they are talking about chanting, which has probably been less than 50 people and is continually drowned out by boo's whenever it starts. From what I saw from Doncaster away it's also some morons and mainly kids thinking they are being edgy and funny. They aren't and to a certain regard it is being self policed within the ground.
The tweets are an embarressment to whoever is posting them and again are being challenged by considerably more than those supporting them, and clearly any threats should be investigated by the Police.

My own thoughts are that I don't want him back, but the club should have been in front of this becaues the shitstorm wasn't difficult to see coming.
I can argue against offering him a contract on a purely football level, on a moral level and a commicial level so I've no idea what the club are playing at, seemingly feeling a strange sense of loyalty to a player who already let us down massively. I simply cannot see a single reason for signing him, and that's without all the negative impact.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 19/11/2014 10:47:01 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4875
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/11/2014 8:24:39 PM   
directorscut

I didn't think there was a chairman out there so low to hire Malky Mackay again... Oh hi, Dave Whelan.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 4876
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 20/11/2014 9:26:49 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I didn't think there was a chairman out there so low to hire Malky Mackay again... Oh hi, Dave Whelan.

"Every Englishman has called a Chinaman a chink and they know it and they're lying if they say otherwise. It's just like calling the British Brits or the Irish Paddies."

"Racism is just something that has always and always will exist in some football. You just have to get on with it, and sometimes the people who complain are out of order anyway.............spitting, I've seen it, disgusting happens all the time, it's deplorable, there's no excuse."

"Jewish people chase more money than anyone else."

I can't say I'm surprised in the slightest.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 4877
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 20/11/2014 9:35:00 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Firstly he's not served his time, he's out of license. Secondly the club haven't offered him a contract, they've agreed to a request from the PFA for him to be allowed to train in order to gain fitness to find employement. In my opinion the club have handled this incredably poorly because they didn't come out very early and state that unless his conviction is overturned on appeal (which isn't going to happen, regardless of what some fans think), the club woudn't consider resigning him.
The coverage is extremly negative at the minute, and the media are loving keeping it going. For example they are talking about chanting, which has probably been less than 50 people and is continually drowned out by boo's whenever it starts. From what I saw from Doncaster away it's also some morons and mainly kids thinking they are being edgy and funny. They aren't and to a certain regard it is being self policed within the ground.
The tweets are an embarressment to whoever is posting them and again are being challenged by considerably more than those supporting them, and clearly any threats should be investigated by the Police.

My own thoughts are that I don't want him back, but the club should have been in front of this becaues the shitstorm wasn't difficult to see coming.
I can argue against offering him a contract on a purely football level, on a moral level and a commicial level so I've no idea what the club are playing at, seemingly feeling a strange sense of loyalty to a player who already let us down massively. I simply cannot see a single reason for signing him, and that's without all the negative impact.

He's served his custodial sentence as far as application for conditional release is concerned, the terms of a license are quite different. Who said the club had offered him a contract? But this is exactly my point. The club are nowhere near daft enough to not know the furore this was going to cause, I do not believe for one moment this was all about honouring a request from the PFA, they were considering resigning him undoubtedly, they wanted to examine and monitor his fitness and the cynic out there would tell you there is every chance their u-turn today may have been influenced slightly by that, if he's not in a good state and isn't likely to be in the near future. This nonsense about 'retrial' drives me up the wall, do the people who comment so flatulently on this even know what these terms mean? He's already had an appeal rejected, it's going nowhere.

The coverage is extremely negative, but then it's going to be, and let's be clear, like I said I don't isolate this as a Sheffield United problem. Modern football has had the morals and ethics sucked out of it anyway. And the reference to the chanting wasn't just about United fans, the flip-side of those kind of chants and songs are as equally as bad because frankly your standard football ape who will get involved in this kind of rubbish doesn't give two hoots about women or rape. It's all 'rivalry' and 'banter' ain't it?

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 4878
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 21/11/2014 12:13:29 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

My issue is that the postion to take should have been clear, that Sheffield United should have said that they are a family club who condemn rape as an abhorrent crime and therefore won't consider signing him unless his conviction is overturned, however we believe in his legal right to rehabilitation and will allow him the use of our training facilities in order for him to find employment.

Job done - done right by everyone, difficult to argue against it and put it to bed.

That statement should have been put out weeks ago.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4879
Page:   <<   < prev  159 160 161 162 [163]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  159 160 161 162 [163]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI