Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  158 159 160 161 [162]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 11/8/2014 1:06:03 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Games 1, Managerial casualties 1

I've hardly come to terms with the season starting and already Huddersfield have sacked their manager.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4831
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 12/8/2014 2:39:10 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

The Championship is ridiculous this year, it's always a tough one but this season seems to be particularly competitive. Derby, Wigan, Fulham, Norwich, Forest and Cardiff should all consider themselves to have realistic expectations of promotion, and there's half a dozen dark horses (eg Ipswich) who might just fancy it too.

I agree, it's completely mental, I'd include Bournemouth in that group as well, whether they can stand the pace I don't know, but they are a good side. The Wolves momentum should also help them to be "up there" too.
Not sure about Fulham though, I think they will struggle.
I'm glad Leicester got out last year. The competition is tough, I can see this year's Championship being an absolute cracker again.

Hey! I thought you weren't appearing in this thread anymore, or at least not until next year

BTW I heard on Fivelive last night than Robbins quit and wasn't sacked.

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 12/8/2014 2:40:21 PM >

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4832
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 12/8/2014 8:58:00 PM   
Goodfella

If you'd asked me before kick-off I would have taken a point on Saturday, I didn't have especially high hopes for the game and didn't fancy a trip away to one of the new-boys, and Brentford have always given us a game. But it was actually quite disappointing in the end to end up only managing a draw after how well we'd played and I'm always frustrated as to how we struggle to capitalize on a 1-0 lead in those kind of situations. It really should have been two or three though, Callum Harriot missed a seriously good opportunity and he knows it. I'm not really sure what to make of Bob Peeters yet, pre-season was a very much a mixed bag, as have our new recruits been, but I must say I like the additions of Moussa, Berg-Gudmondsson, Bikey and Ben Haim.

He seems keen to follow Duchatelet's blueprint of multi-club resourcing and bringing on younger players, I think we're going to see a lot more of Morgan Fox and Joe Piggott this season. My enthusiasm for Charlton has been knocked back recently after all the uncomfortable changes and with the new season here I'm not getting my hopes up at all. If we can secure a mid-table finish at best I'd be very happy, I'd be overwhelmed to see us do anymore than that, especially with all the comings and goings we've had.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 4833
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 13/8/2014 7:46:58 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Hey! I thought you weren't appearing in this thread anymore, or at least not until next year

I couldn't resist it. This season is too exciting, too many good teams, too much happening, I want to be a part of it - if you don't mind - I can't be arsed to talk about ManU and Chelsea all season in the boring Premiership thread.

Superdan - rumours abound that your lot are buying Chris Woods off us?
Big lad, should be better in the air than he is, but needs games, which he didn't get last season (he couldn't budge Vardy out of the team and we had no injuries)
When he joined us from West Brom, he scored something like 7 goals in 10 games, looked the business, then lost his way a bit.
I still think you've got a very good young player for the (reported) 1.25 million. Hope he does well for you.

< Message edited by jonson -- 13/8/2014 7:50:20 AM >

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 4834
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 13/8/2014 8:20:22 AM   
superdan

quote:

Superdan - rumours abound that your lot are buying Chris Woods off us?
Big lad, should be better in the air than he is, but needs games, which he didn't get last season (he couldn't budge Vardy out of the team and we had no injuries)
When he joined us from West Brom, he scored something like 7 goals in 10 games, looked the business, then lost his way a bit.
I still think you've got a very good young player for the (reported) 1.25 million. Hope he does well for you.

I was hoping we'd get him as he seems just what we need, but it looks like it's not going to happen from what I've read. That'll be the 4th or 5th striker we'll have let get away from us this summer, which indicates that either there is not much money available or Moxey is simply driving his bargains way too hard and it's holding back the team. Either way, it's a shame.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4835
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 13/8/2014 8:44:58 AM   
jonson

Actually, you might be right, rumours abound this morning that Woods will be off to Norwich, with Deeney coming our way from Watford and Argie bastard Cambiasso joining us from Inter.
Not that anyone in this thread is vaguely interested in that

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4836
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 13/8/2014 10:05:33 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Actually, you might be right, rumours abound this morning that Woods will be off to Norwich, with Deeney coming our way from Watford and Argie bastard Cambiasso joining us from Inter.

What are you even doing here? I don't care if you did start the thread, you're not welcome around these parts anymore.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4837
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 14/8/2014 7:43:16 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

What are you even doing here? I don't care if you did start the thread, you're not welcome around these parts anymore.

As well as using this thread to make myself feel better I am genuinely more interested in "the lower leagues" than the Premiership, plus I guess it'll be the only chance to have some football banter with you.
Where's your Kermit gone? Where's your Kermit gone?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4838
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 16/8/2014 5:05:30 PM   
Goodfella

That's a terrific result and a really good performance. Wigan was always going to be a test today, they're a good side and our home form has been poor the past two seasons so to get off to winning ways at the Valley and maintain our unbeaten start is fantastic.

The new signings seem to be doing well for themselves - Bikey is an absolute beast at the back, Buyens has slotted in to replace Poyet well and got himself a goal midweek, Vetokele looks really sharp, has a goal and is involved in everything we have coming forward and Berg-Gudmondsson really excites me as a very talented prospect with lots of ball skills and a wicked right foot. Franck Moussa got the winner today and I've been assured when healthy he can be quite the player, well that's a very positive start from him and it follows a fine strike from young Jordan Cousins to open the scoring.

Can have no complaints whatsoever about Bob Peeters either. It's a much-changed squad and they've started the season very well, the new signings have gelled quickly and if he sees something that's not working early in games he changes it, he's moved Lawrie Wilson into midfield which I like as well because that role suits him much better than playing at right-back.

Very good start, hope we can continue it.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4839
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 16/8/2014 8:24:40 PM   
Scott_

Woo hoo! Smash and grab! Not really impressive but a win is a win, took us 30 minutes to get in the game, Boro bossed the game until then. We don't look too hot but it'll take a few more games to see what we can hope for this season, there are a lot of new players to settle in. The manager will never convince me. I keep thinking my achievements on Championship Manager make me a more suitable candidate for the Leeds job than him. Maybe one day...

I like the look of Doukara and Ajose on the wings, it's been ages since we've had any genuine pace in the team. We've got some good youngsters in the squad too, Lewis Cook is a real prospect, I'm excited to see what Zan Benedicic is all about too.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4840
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 16/8/2014 9:43:39 PM   
superdan

So we fail to score against the mighty Rotherham and lose 1-0. Meanwhile, the striker who we refused to pay for has 2 goals in as many games for Bournemouth (who apparently have more money than us), and another striker who we refused to pay the wages he asked for nets the equaliser for Leicester in the Premier League. Oh, and it now looks like we won't get another striker in Max Clayton who Jackett really likes, because 1m is supposedly far too much and they don't want to go to a tribunal. Quite how the penny-pinchers at the club think we can get promotion when the manager isn't supported with what are, in the modern game, relatively modest transfer fees? I'm beginning to worry that Jackett (who has shown that his eye for players who'll improve the team is good) might start to think it's not worth the effort when the club seems to lack ambition

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4841
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 17/8/2014 7:13:54 PM   
Goodfella

I don't know what went on between Bob Peeters and Uwe Rosler yesterday but I do know one thing, Peeters did not "run 25-30 metres" to celebrate right in front of Rosler's face as that is a ridiculous distance to suggest between a pair of dugouts on a football pitch. Peeters enthusiasm got the better of him and he probably shouldn't have raced onto the pitch to celebrate with the players, although I love the heart and passion of a new manager, but it was also quite clear that Rosler was very abusive towards him and you're not going to win yourself any regret from your opposite number with that kind of behaviour or those kind of antiquated accusations either. Peeters is really starting to grow on me though, not just because we're winning games, but because of how well he comes across. He's a big, brute of a looking chap but he's softly-spoken, personable and very considered in his approach to questions and what he says. He's clearly had a positive impact on the team and I'm impressed with how well his new signings have worked out and, as it stands, he's very much building a relationship with the fans of the club. I think the new owner has struggled there with some of the decisions and comments he's made, but credit to both his managerial choices, they've recognised at root we're a family club heavily invested in our team and the relationship we have with them and both have matched that. It creates real positivity and a real buzz and it's got my enthusiasm for this season right back up.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4842
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 18/8/2014 8:04:37 AM   
jonson

quote:

So we fail to score against the mighty Rotherham and lose 1-0. Meanwhile, the striker who we refused to pay for has 2 goals in as many games for Bournemouth (who apparently have more money than us), and another striker who we refused to pay the wages he asked for nets the equaliser for Leicester in the Premier League. Oh, and it now looks like we won't get another striker in Max Clayton who Jackett really likes, because 1m is supposedly far too much and they don't want to go to a tribunal. Quite how the penny-pinchers at the club think we can get promotion when the manager isn't supported with what are, in the modern game, relatively modest transfer fees? I'm beginning to worry that Jackett (who has shown that his eye for players who'll improve the team is good) might start to think it's not worth the effort when the club seems to lack ambition

I don't understand your inability to spend. Chris Wood did say that he didn't want to leave Leicester and he was prepared to fight for his place, however, we all know that a hefty pay rise may have persuaded him otherwise.
Wolves are a MASSIVE club, do the owners not get that? They have the foundation and history to be the biggest club outside the Prem

I enjoyed the scrap at the Charlton game - bloody animals a great 3 points against a side I would expect to be there.

And can someone beat fucking Millwall? Not only are they Millwall, but they also have that bald twat as manager.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4843
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/8/2014 9:49:11 PM   
Goodfella

Bloody hell Charlton, I didn't expect that.

Derby are a very good team, second one we've played in under five days and not only beaten but deservedly so. We shouldn't have even conceded the late second tonight, it was a rookie mistake by young goalkeeper Nick Pope who is playing in place of the injured Stephen Henderson and let one slip through his legs.

This Bob Peeters bloke and his body double Igor Vekotele. These guys ain't half bad so far.

It's early days yet but.........

bloody hell.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4844
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 20/8/2014 7:58:51 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

This Bob Peeters bloke and his body double Igor Vekotele. These guys ain't half bad so far.

It's early days yet but.........

bloody hell.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4845
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 20/8/2014 8:08:05 AM   
jonson

Some insane results last night. Cracking win for you there Goodfella, against my prediction for top spot, you have a tendency to beat the best teams in the division
Fucking Florist top, can't see them staying there but you never know.
Looking at the results, and the early games so far, this is going to be wide open again. Amazing stuff. Good luck tonight Wolves, could put Fulham bottom

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4846
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 20/8/2014 10:15:38 PM   
superdan

quote:

I don't understand your inability to spend. Chris Wood did say that he didn't want to leave Leicester and he was prepared to fight for his place, however, we all know that a hefty pay rise may have persuaded him otherwise.
Wolves are a MASSIVE club, do the owners not get that? They have the foundation and history to be the biggest club outside the Prem

I think the main thing has been the 'Bomb Squad' of overpaid failures from Mick's tenure have been draining money from the club on their long-term PL wages while we've been out of the top division, and no-one seems willing to take them off our hands on permanent deals (understandably). Our wage bill when we started in League 1, thanks mostly to those clowns, was nearly 25m which is unsustainable and put the club in danger of failing the FFP rules. However, it is still baffling that a club which has an owner and vice-president worth half a billion combined, had an average gate of nearly 21,000 in the third division last season, and parachute payments to boot, can't scrape together enough to compete with the likes of Bournemouth (no disrespect intended) or sign players from Crewe.

Anyway, thank fuck for the win tonight. Bossed most of the game at the Cottage and the scoreline probably flattered them as we missed some great chances and a pen at the end. If I were a Fulham fan I'd be starting to get worried that they were in danger of 'doing a Wolves' this season.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4847
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 20/8/2014 11:35:45 PM   
ElephantBoy

Would love Forest to come up this year. Good history, it has been over a decade now, and I like the manager. Don't see them finishing in the top two but Play-offs is possible for sure.

See that Brighton have taken Joe Bennett off our hands. Good for us, possibly good for him, not so sure about Brighton.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4848
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 21/8/2014 8:21:24 AM   
jonson

quote:

Anyway, thank fuck for the win tonight. Bossed most of the game at the Cottage and the scoreline probably flattered them as we missed some great chances and a pen at the end. If I were a Fulham fan I'd be starting to get worried that they were in danger of 'doing a Wolves' this season.

Early days, but how many times do we see it? Team full of confidence comes up, keeps the momentum going. Team goes down, no confidence, no-one really wears the shirt with pride.
I'd be fucking worried if I were a Fulham fan. And if I were the Wolves owner, I'd chuck 10-15m at the squad and keep the push going.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4849
Page:   <<   < prev  158 159 160 161 [162]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  158 159 160 161 [162]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI