Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  157 158 159 160 [161]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 23/4/2014 1:46:31 PM   
ElephantBoy

Never would have picked the Foxes and Burnly to be the top two at the start of the season, but it is good to see both of them go up.

Hard to predict who will go up from the Play-Offs. First off it would be good for my local team Brighton to make the top six. I am going to go for Wigan to win promotion back at the first time of asking. If that does happen Harry might be on borrowed time at QPR.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4801
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 23/4/2014 4:39:52 PM   
jonson

I thought we'd make the playoffs, but top 2, never in my mind at all to be honest. I expected Wigan and QPR to be sharing the spoils, but in hindsight, despite QPR having a better (I mean better paid) squad, they've proved that team spirit is far more important.
I'm a firm believer in confidence and when we were relegated 4 years ago, we had been floundering mid table, so perhaps relegation suited us? Gave us a winning mindset? I think the same will happen with Wolves next season, don't be surprised to see them competing at the top end.
I'd like to see Wigan make it through the playoffs, or even Brighton. Obviously I'd rather Derby don't do it, and if QPR stay down even better, never been their biggest fan.

< Message edited by jonson -- 23/4/2014 4:40:26 PM >

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 4802
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 24/4/2014 11:34:36 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I thought we'd make the playoffs, but top 2, never in my mind at all to be honest. I expected Wigan and QPR to be sharing the spoils, but in hindsight, despite QPR having a better (I mean better paid) squad, they've proved that team spirit is far more important.
I'm a firm believer in confidence and when we were relegated 4 years ago, we had been floundering mid table, so perhaps relegation suited us? Gave us a winning mindset? I think the same will happen with Wolves next season, don't be surprised to see them competing at the top end.
I'd like to see Wigan make it through the playoffs, or even Brighton. Obviously I'd rather Derby don't do it, and if QPR stay down even better, never been their biggest fan.

Pretty much all that!

Also, am pleased for Pearson, he was unfairly sacked by Southampton after keeping them up (his remit when appointed) a few years back, and like what is happening with Rodgers at Liverpool it is a good story for young British managers.

If Brighton can make the PO's for the second straight year then that would be good. have exceeded expectations really.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4803
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 27/4/2014 8:10:38 PM   
Goodfella

...and we're right back in it.

It's been our biggest problem all season by far and that's our home form. We lack an impotus, a driving force and a clinical attacking style at home, we give away soft goals too often and let the visiting team dictate the pace of the game. The couple of games we have won at home have been against the new-boys in the division and against anybody above about 15th in the league and we are way out of our depth. Yesterday's performance was another open and shut defeat and it was marred by the crazy decision to let Marvin Sordell take the first-half penalty that would have levelled the scores. Johnnie Jackson takes our penalties, we aren't in the position where we can start offering up confidence boosters to players like this and Sordell proved it right by trying to thump it right down the throat of the keeper.

Watford at home on Tuesday and Blackpool away next Saturday. I have little to no confidence against Watford given we're at the Valley and I don't care how poor Blackpool were playing before yesterday, the result against Wigan has given them all a huge lift and it will be bouncing inside Bloomfield Road next Saturday. If we don't win on Tuesday night I think we'll be relying on one of the three below us only doing worse than us, and Birmingham are in the midsts of a right stinker but I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull a Blackpool on a Tuesday night.

This season has been an utter shithouse and is concluding as a damp squib that I'm struggling to even claw any real passion out for. I don't know or recognise this club much anymore, and I'm not just talking about our new owners there. Moronic, violence-seeking racist fans, another club legend who saw backs turned on him at the first fault-line after his phenomenal hard work and achievements and a group of players and an owner who sees us as a building block in his empire of someday-maybes. This isn't the Charlton Athletic I grew up loving and supporting I can tell you that.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 27/4/2014 8:15:07 PM >

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 4804
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 28/4/2014 8:03:20 PM   
Scott_

Doncaster have got Leicester away final game (they must want to cross that 100 point barrier...I would) and Watford don't have anything to play for. That Blackpool game will be fairly edgy won't it? I think you'll be good mate, unless you get hammered...but don't think about that. Happy thoughts.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4805
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 29/4/2014 7:54:15 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Doncaster have got Leicester away final game (they must want to cross that 100 point barrier...I would)

That's all the manager, players and fans are talking about, the 100 points.
They will be ruthless on Saturday, full house, Kasabian playing at half time (and at the end) we've broke about 12 club and player records this season, I can assure you they wont be holding back.
I was selfishly hoping Doncaster would be safe - with Dickov and Wellens being ex-players - plus the fact if they stay up their fans will be joining the celebrations. I'd hate to see their players collapse at the end whilst we celebrate promotion, seems a bit of a shame, however I appreciate it may be at the expense of Birmingham or Charlton (best win tonight 'fella - good luck mate )

So, 1 game left in this thread chaps, it's been a pleasure
Player of the season awards last night. Supporters player was Drinkwater, my choice as well, he's bullied every midfielder I've seen this season, quality player and more than good enough for the Premiership IMO.
Player's Player was Vardy. The most improved player I've seen for quite some years. He didn't quite cut the mustard last season but he woke up, he appreciates his life a footballer, a great role model and example of what hard work brings you.

Finally, we see the retirement of Kevin Philips on Saturday. Best signing of the season for me, not in terms of what he does on the pitch, but what he does off it. They've offered him a coaching role which thankfully he has taken. What better example can you put in front of kids who want to succeed in football? 40 years old and still apparently the best trainer out there.
A genuine legend of football, one of the best goal scorers of his generation and still the last Englishman to win the golden boot.
I hope his last game gets a bit of press coverage because I know there are a lot of Sunderland supporters who have him on a pedestal

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4806
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 29/4/2014 9:43:43 PM   
Goodfella

Fuck a duck, that was more massive than Wednesday!

Callum Harriott hasn't been able to hit the side of a barn door for both love and riches since his miss in the FA Cup but tonight he finished two with aplomb and they couldn't have come at a much better time!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4807
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 30/4/2014 7:41:23 AM   
jonson

You see? All that panicking and flapping around and you're up with 1 game to go. Perhaps Powell can have his job back now?

So, as things stand, Birmingham go down if they fail to get anything at Bolton. Even a draw would be enough assuming we beat Doncaster.
Considering they are a Midlands team and I like Lee Clarke it's a bit harsh, but I don't want to see the Donnie fans upset on Saturday so I'll be cheering on the Bolton side (ironically full of last season trouble making Leicester rejects)

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4808
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 30/4/2014 8:20:54 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Doncaster have got Leicester away final game (they must want to cross that 100 point barrier...I would)

That's all the manager, players and fans are talking about, the 100 points.

Pfft, our lot have managed that already old bean - we're all about breaking the divisional record now

quote:

Finally, we see the retirement of Kevin Philips on Saturday. Best signing of the season for me, not in terms of what he does on the pitch, but what he does off it. They've offered him a coaching role which thankfully he has taken. What better example can you put in front of kids who want to succeed in football? 40 years old and still apparently the best trainer out there.
A genuine legend of football, one of the best goal scorers of his generation and still the last Englishman to win the golden boot.
I hope his last game gets a bit of press coverage because I know there are a lot of Sunderland supporters who have him on a pedestal

He's been a great footballer, would probably have got more England caps if he'd ever played for one of the more fashionable clubs because his goalscoring record is remarkable. On a personal level I'm not sorry to see the back of him though, because he's been a thorn in Wolves' side for his entire career. I remember seeing him play against Wolves in his first season for Watford and thinking this dwarf would never amount to much, but he's stuck it in and broken it off ever since - the little bastard always scored against us

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4809
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 3/5/2014 4:21:37 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

You see? All that panicking and flapping around and you're up with 1 game to go. Perhaps Powell can have his job back now?

I was and still am absolutely gutted about the Powell decision but unfortunately that changes nothing. Moving forward the blessing in disguise since January has been Jose Riga who has done a great job in securing our championship status for next season. There is absolutely no way of knowing how it would have gone if we had kept Powell and whilst I believe we'd have stayed up that makes no difference now and Riga deserves the credit for the hard work he has put in over these past few months in very difficult circumstances.

Upon his arrival Riga immediately recognised what Powell and what Charlton meant to the fans and he has gone about imposing himself in a calm, measured and respectful fashion. I knew very little about him when he first arrived but over the course of the sixteen games he's been in charge he has had the aura of a Charlton type of manager and he's won not only the team, but also the fans, over. I hope it's not the last we've seen of him, not least of all because he deserves a permanent contract but also because right now he's the best choice and that's been telling in our results and our performances. It's been far from perfect but it never was going to be anything but, there's still a rebuilding job needed in the summer but I would rather he oversee it than anybody else given the way he's helped to stabilize us these past few months and to finish seven points clear of the relegation zone is some feat given where we were when he arrived, even with the games in hand.

He challenged Callum Harriott this week to get a grip on his emotions and take his obvious talent to the next level, five goals in two games says a lot about the way a young player responds to him as a manager. That's a really promising factor in who Riga is and given that Dutchalet wants to move forward with giving younger players more opportunities then he has somebody in place who is already halfway to proving he can not only give them the opportunity, but also get the best out of them. Watching the way he's interacted with the players after the last two games shows they are clearly very fond of him with Jackson, Wiggins, Fox and several others already signing new contracts at the club.

Today was a great way to wrap up what has remained a rather disappointing and very difficult season by large. It sends us off into the summer with our heads held high and the performances of two or three players of late gives us something to build on for the future. I've been very pessimistic about Charlton and where they are heading of late and I still have my concerns about the direction of the club but in the here and now we have some bright spots to focus on and Riga and a few of the younger players, as well as a very dedicated captain, are amongst those. I'd like the new owners to recognise that and give us what we want there, they deserve it and so do we.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4810
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 7/5/2014 8:31:30 AM   
jonson

So, last game of the season came and went with a whimper.
Doncaster went down thank to Nugent's penalty, the fans invaded the pitch before the trophy got round 2/3 of the ground, Sam Bailey sang again, the owners gave everyone a free beer, a flag and a lovely old-school button badge commemorating this season.
A fantastic gesture from fantastic owners.
Oh, and Kevin Philips finished his career in a Leicester shirt. A bit embarrassing really (considering his huge impact at other clubs) but an honour to witness.
Can I be honest and say that having not seen the trophy before it was swamped my thousands of chavs on the pitch, and seeing the Doncaster fans trudge off, it was one of the most disappointing games I've witnessed.
I was glum when I left, having just seen my team finally lift the League 1 trophy (never before in our history) it should have been great, but it wasn't. Such a shame.
And to put it into perspective, a Donnie fan died in the ground. A day where football fans across the country tend to unite and enjoy themselves just never quite got to our ground.
A sad loss, I've heard the Donnie fans and City fans are hoping to come together and raise some money in memory of this poor chap.
While I'm normally the first to slag off brain-dead scum bag fans, on the flip side I don't think there's a sport in this country where the fans come together and do so much good.

The parade was better. 35 thousand supporters descended on the city centre and it was brilliant. Such a good atmosphere, the Town Hall was decked out in blue and white, Sam Bailey sang again and the players all took their bows. We even got to say goodbye to those who may be going - Lloyd Dyer - fantastic servant, Kasper who apparently wants 65k a week (and he wont fucking get it greedy twat) as well as about 7 or 8 others out of contract.
I'll leave it to the club, the days are long past when I couldn't stand the idea of losing a player. I don't want the club to be held ransom so I hope they do the right thing.

So I'm off. I won't be missed I'm sure. I might pop in now and again and have a whiff of what proper football smells like.
I may even carry on recording the Football League show (in fact, I guarantee I will) and you may see me from time to time at about 12.15am on MOTD.
I'd like to think that someone out there might even want Leicester to do OK in the Premiership.
Chances are I'll be back next season. Hopefully the winning mentality will help us, the team sprit that Pearson has developed is second to none, and I believe that is massive for survival (just look at Palace) but it's going to be a long slog without a doubt.

Good luck all!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4811
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 7/5/2014 9:04:56 AM   
horribleives

Well if you're leaving this thread I'm more than willing to fill the hole. I should really start getting a feel for the place in preperation for the 2015/16 season.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4812
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 8/5/2014 9:11:42 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Well if you're leaving this thread I'm more than willing to fill the hole. I should really start getting a feel for the place in preperation for the 2015/16 season.

And the way a certain other midlands club is progressing I will be making more regular appearance in this thread before long.

Good luck to the Foxes for next season, they are a fine club, and I have a lot of time for Pearson also. Hope they have a decent first season back in the big time and that they can extend their stay.

As for the Play-Offs, well I think Brighton do have a tough ask against a very strong Derby in the semi's, but if they can take a respectable score into the second leg then who knows. They have done well just to get there again, and it is sometimes the teams who sneak in the back door who end up winning them. Personally I think Wigan or Derby will go up. For some reason I can see QPR blowing it.

Also want to see Peterborough win the league one PO's but that is going to be a tough call also.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 4813
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 12/5/2014 10:54:07 PM   
ElephantBoy

Sounds like a great game tonight. QPR got lucky, and Wigan put in a great showing, see them as one of the strong favourites for next season. Really hope Derby beat Rangers in the final now.

Was surprised than Garcia quit Brighton today. It could be another tough pre-season for them.

Post #: 4814
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 24/5/2014 3:21:37 PM   
ElephantBoy

Really hope Derby go up today. They deserve another chance in the top flight, and QPR are poorly run and smug.

Post #: 4815
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 24/5/2014 4:49:22 PM   
superdan

Urgh, that horrid club have just scored. Football can be a real dickhead sometimes.

Post #: 4816
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 24/5/2014 9:05:47 PM   
ElephantBoy

In the end the experience factor told, and you have to give QPR credit for how they reacted to going down to ten men, as much as I hate doing so

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4817
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 26/5/2014 9:31:43 PM   
superdan

Wolves are apparently looking to sign Harry Maguire and Conor Coady when the window opens. I haven't seen anything of Coady so don't know if he would be a good signing (although last season showed Jackett and Thelwell have an eye for talent) but Maguire definitely gets my approval; he's always looked like a good prospect from what I've seen of him. Bit rough on Utd fans though given we took McDonald off them last season as well

Post #: 4818
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 27/5/2014 7:42:03 PM   
Goodfella

Alex Dyer lifts lid on Powell sacking

It would also seem that this is the reason Jose Riga hasn't been given the job permanently, and why we have appointed another Belgian, and former Millwall man, Bob Peeters as our manager this evening. Peeters, who looks like a bear with a sore head, starts the job with players exiting left, right and centre with a whole horde of players released and a number of key first-team players, Ben Hamer and Dorian Dervite, in recent days, who have rejected offers of new contracts and headed elsewhere at the first sign of daylight.

In Roland We Trust. It's going to have to be isn't it? Nobody's getting a fucking choice by the sounds of it.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4819
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/6/2014 6:15:00 PM   
Scott_

Haha! Apparently the first step of moving towards a European style management team is to hire a failed conference manager to coach the team with Cellino handling transfers. It's such a fucking joke, a terrible, terrible joke.

I'm not even willing to give him a chance. I bet he's shite.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4820
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 16/7/2014 1:30:20 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Most bonkers story I've heard for a while. Blackpool only has 8 professional players on its books http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/16/blackpool-pre-season-eight-players-cancel-trip

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4821
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 17/7/2014 4:15:45 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Most bonkers story I've heard for a while. Blackpool only has 8 professional players on its books http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/16/blackpool-pre-season-eight-players-cancel-trip

Just shows you how quick things can turn, Blackpool for the drop might be a fair call at this stage.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 4822
Page:   <<   < prev  157 158 159 160 [161]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  157 158 159 160 [161]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI