Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  156 157 158 159 [160]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 17/3/2014 7:50:21 AM   
jonson

Well, that was a shock. We conceded a goal
Not on song on Saturday we weren't. We had the lions share of the possession but couldn't take our chances.
Perhaps should have been 4 up then someone called Goodwillie, snigger guffaw, popped up, snigger guffaw, rose highest, ahem, and, errr rammed one home. Ok, enough now.
60 minuets gone and our new little French starlet smacked a glorious shot from 25 yards, then dropped a cross on big Wes's head, and it was 2-1. never in any doubt.
After Derby only managed a draw, this 17 points seems pretty comfortable now.
I heard a few fans talking on the way out about Old Trafford and Anfield, Suarez against Lima Moore, is Drinkwater as good as we think he is? Will he dominate midfields in the next division? All this talk has been met in past week with a "ssshhh, we're not there yet" however on Saturday, the excitement was met with more excitement. We now believe.
Up the Foxes.

Also, congratulation to Danny Ings for his player of the year award. I was hoping Drinkwater would get it as he's been brilliant all season, but Ings is 21 years old, has bagged a hatful of goals, fair play to him, wonderful player, is Hodgson wondering who could go on the plane to Brazil? He wouldn't do himself any harm taking a prolific goalscorer in my opinion.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4771
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 18/3/2014 6:52:14 PM   
Goodfella

Massive game for us tonight at home to Bournemouth. They are coming thick and fast and our following three games are far less appetizing - Burnley, Derby and Forest.

I mean that in no disrespect to Bournemouth whatsoever. They've had a terrific season, one not similar to our own last year, and they've been playing attractive and winning football under Eddie Howe. Results away from home haven't seemed to be an issue for them either since the start of the New Year, nor have late winners. And of course they have Yann Kermorgant, and a betting man would fancy a tipple on him netting one against us tonight. I hope gets a warm welcome home, I'm sure he will and I really hope we do the business tonight and haul ourselves out of the relegation zone.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4772
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 18/3/2014 9:49:31 PM   
Goodfella

Faith partially restored after a very difficult ten days as a Charlton fan! Life feels a little bit brighter now and we turn not having won in three to five points from our last possible nine and maybe a little bit of honeymoon period developing under the new manager, which I'll gladly take! Sounded a very open game tonight in which both ourselves and Bournemouth both managed to miss a gluttony of chances before Dorian Dervite, our everywhere man, bulleted one over the line from a last-minute corner. We are out of the relegation zone on goal difference now and facing three very tricky games but this is a start, and we've finally scored a goal too, which, no matter how it came, should lift everyone's confidence a little.

Thanks to Jose Riga as well. It's still early days but the team have rallied for him and seem to display the attitude they enjoy playing for him. He's certainly working hard to learn as much about his squad as possible and keep us and that's all we can ask for.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 18/3/2014 10:03:42 PM >

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4773
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/3/2014 7:47:13 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Thanks to Jose Riga as well.

"sniff....sniff....that didn't take long did it?"

< Message edited by jonson -- 19/3/2014 8:21:00 AM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4774
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/3/2014 7:50:56 AM   
jonson

I bet you booed Kermit as well, you horrible fuckers.

Well done anyway, top result.

As for Sheff Weds hammering QPR, well, I can only laugh. I'm not Harry's biggest fan but what a major fuck up at QPR.
Just shows you what too much money and blind ambition, with a sprinkle or arrogance, can do.
11 games to go and we're 17 points clear of third. I honestly can't see us chucking this away now, still not dancing just yet though, I can still remember last season.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4775
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/3/2014 3:40:19 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

Thanks to Jose Riga as well.

"sniff....sniff....that didn't take long did it?"

Knob off!

I miss Powell dearly and if it was my choice he'd be back tomorrow, but it's not and I don't hold any of that against Jose Riga. It's not been an easy job for him to come into the club and take the job of such a well-loved man, especially with us being in the position we were, and have a positive effect but it seems he has done. We'll never know what might have been had Powell stayed (I still believe he'd have kept us up) and that's sadly irrelevant now. Riga actually paid Powell a quiet compliment in last night's press conference, he compared the performance and the win to the QPR game three weeks ago and more than in just a last-minute winner.

quote:

I bet you booed Kermit as well, you horrible fuckers.

Well done anyway, top result.

Yeah, cheers.

No, Kermit got a very warm welcome back and showed his appreciation to the fans during the warm-up and at the end of the game. There was a few hugs going on there between him and staff as he walked off the pitch too.

Three very difficult games coming up for us now - Burnley (h), Derby (a) and Forest (a). Looking at the league table you wouldn't expect us to get a point from any of them but we need a result or two. Burnley seem to be in a habit currently of turning indifferent performances into winning results, I think we'll be comprehensively beaten at Derby and Forest fans are starting to work out why everybody else has nicknamed him Billy Bottle-Job, and if current rumours turn out to be true then he won't even be charge by the time we make our trip up to the City ground.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4776
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 8/4/2014 7:46:07 PM   
CORLEONE

Not sure Leeds have won a game since the forum went down. Oh well, we have Cellino now. Maybe.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4777
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 8/4/2014 9:09:10 PM   
superdan

Still top of the league

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 4778
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 9/4/2014 1:31:36 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Still top of the league

So are we!
Despite last nights utterly fucking dismal performance, great stuff, promotion guaranteed and only the title now to win.
Looks like I'll be leaving this thread soon.................don't worry, I'll be back the season after next

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4779
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 9/4/2014 6:39:41 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

Still top of the league

So are we!
Despite last nights utterly fucking dismal performance, great stuff, promotion guaranteed and only the title now to win.
Looks like I'll be leaving this thread soon.................don't worry, I'll be back the season after next

No longer bottom of the league!

We've put some results on the board and last night was a huge win for us. It's been far from perfect, there were big holes in the performance last night and the goals we gave away were far too soft and complacent and against a better team we'd have been punished. We are looking more positive though and the wins we've had feel like a bit of a honeymoon period under a new manager. Our remaining fixtures give us a boost too, we're only playing one team currently in the top ten and that's Brighton this weekend. All the other games are very winnable for us, especially if we turn in performances like the ones against Leeds and Forest were we didn't just score an impressive goal and keep a clean sheet but also were the better team for most of the game.

It's about keeping our heads above water with the two games in hand. Do that and we stay up. A run of three or four defeats is likely to land us back in it but, at risk of tempting fate, I can't see where that would come from at the moment.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4780
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 10/4/2014 8:07:41 AM   
jonson

I think you may just pull it off Goodfella. Watch how Blackpool have dropped into the shit pretty quickly (I can see the last game of the season against them as being the BIG one for you mate)
I do hope Doncaster stay up though, before the last game of the season. I'm a Dickov fan and also our last game of the season I'd hate to be potentially putting them down.
I've seen that before and it's not a nice experience, you feel solely responsible (which I know is ridiculous)

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4781
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 10/4/2014 11:35:22 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

I think you may just pull it off Goodfella. Watch how Blackpool have dropped into the shit pretty quickly (I can see the last game of the season against them as being the BIG one for you mate)
I do hope Doncaster stay up though, before the last game of the season. I'm a Dickov fan and also our last game of the season I'd hate to be potentially putting them down.
I've seen that before and it's not a nice experience, you feel solely responsible (which I know is ridiculous)

I think we might just do it too mate, the way the last five games have been going (WLWLW) I'm betting it will go down to the last two games of the season as well, and probably down to the Blackpool tie, regardless of our games in hand.

Blackpool have been on a slide for some time haven't they? Just 2 wins in their last 19 games since the start of the New Year says it all. Karl Oyston seems to be copping a lot of the blame up there and I'm guessing that's based around the club's finances which I imagine are very tricky to manage up there, even with the parachute payments they received following relegation from the Premiership and I don't think some fans realise how quickly they get sucked dry, especially when you are a club Blackpool's size. Ironically you mention putting another club down, it was Blackpool who sent us down from the Championship when we were last relegated. Led 2-0 and they came back to draw 2-2 thanks to an equalizer from that scumbag Lee Hughes. As if I didn't already have enough reasons to hate him...

I see Leeds have a new crook for an owner. Massimo Cellino. The FL's rather irrelevant fit and proper owner's test (which actually is just a series of financial enquiries) denied him the first time, he appealed and was granted permission to complete the transaction. He looks a lary sod and I feel sorry for Leeds fans because no matter how much money he has I do not believe this is going to be a marriage that lasts forever, as it typically doesn't with their history of dodgy owners.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4782
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 10/4/2014 2:28:58 PM   
superdan

quote:

I see Leeds have a new crook for an owner. Massimo Cellino. The FL's rather irrelevant fit and proper owner's test (which actually is just a series of financial enquiries) denied him the first time, he appealed and was granted permission to complete the transaction. He looks a lary sod and I feel sorry for Leeds fans because no matter how much money he has I do not believe this is going to be a marriage that lasts forever, as it typically doesn't with their history of dodgy owners.

Every Leeds fan I know (and I know a fair few) is happy as a pig in shit that he's been given the green light. The fact that he's as crooked as a dogs hind leg matters not a jot - he's got money so they'll welcome him with open arms. Between that, Hull season ticket holders voting to change their name and Cardiff fans blithe lack of concern about their club being changed from the Bluebirds to the Red Dragons it seems apparent that footy fans don't give a fuck about an owner doing what he pleases to the club as long as he promises to wave a few quid at the team. Shame.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4783
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 15/4/2014 6:50:23 AM   
jonson

Good point in the end, shocking first half performance but really upped it in the second. Drinkwater held them together, I thought he was magnificent all over the pitch, at least 4 city players were left wanting but another point closer to the title, 5 points in 4 games will do it now for good.

Good luck tonight fella.....

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4784
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 15/4/2014 7:44:58 AM   
superdan

Promoted

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4785
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 15/4/2014 5:15:20 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

Every Leeds fan I know (and I know a fair few) is happy as a pig in shit that he's been given the green light. The fact that he's as crooked as a dogs hind leg matters not a jot - he's got money so they'll welcome him with open arms. Between that, Hull season ticket holders voting to change their name and Cardiff fans blithe lack of concern about their club being changed from the Bluebirds to the Red Dragons it seems apparent that footy fans don't give a fuck about an owner doing what he pleases to the club as long as he promises to wave a few quid at the team. Shame.

I don't doubt they are and I don't find it remotely surprising but I wish football fans would think outside the box a bit more and realise that a dodgy owner like this isn't likely to secure you the long-term future you really want, he's a Saint now, how many years do we give it before he becomes a sinner, and that money he promises quickly dries up, or never really appears? I've seen it at Charlton too, Roland Duchatelet released a statement a few weeks back to fans which pretty much said, in as many words, shut up questioning me whilst we are battling relegation. In a manner of speaking he had point but he also failed to address the concerns of a minority of fans, including myself, about the long-term future of the club and the academy and our role in his footballing mini-empire. But the majority follow him like sheep and have forgotten all that's come before and how little they previously achieved it with, I don't expect everything to be laid bare, that's business, but we deserve to have some questions answered especially when you consider previous statements made by our new owners.

quote:

Good point in the end, shocking first half performance but really upped it in the second. Drinkwater held them together, I thought he was magnificent all over the pitch, at least 4 city players were left wanting but another point closer to the title, 5 points in 4 games will do it now for good.

Good luck tonight fella.....

The league title should be motivation but after a long, hard season you can expect a slip-up every now and then and Reading are fighting for a play-off spot so it's no surprise they were a couple of steps ahead of you last night and a draw is a better result for you than it is for them.

Thanks mate. We have to win it. Saturday again proved my earlier point about being nowhere near competitive enough against the better teams in the league, looking forward to see how Dutchalet intends to address that in the summer if he plans on spending very little money. Jose Riga highlights the mountain of games every time we get beat like this and he's right to a degree, but we're also beaten in these games because the opposition are just too good for us. Brighton didn't tear us apart so much because of tired legs, rather because they're players are just that much better than ours.

Barnsley however, aren't. We have scored freely against them since returning to this league and I would like to see us do so again tonight. We know how big a game this is, and also the last game against Blackpool in terms of league positioning. It's a classic six-pointer and a win tonight not only pulls us away from the bottom three and lifts us up a handful of places, it also drags a few other teams right into the trouble like Birmingham and Huddersfield and eases the pressure on us.

quote:

Promoted

Congratulations!

Getting out of League One and back to the Championship at the first time of asking is not as easy as it sounds! Especially when you are a club the size of Wolves because your game is a cup final for a lot of the teams playing at that level and you really have to dig in and scrap against some of those clubs. It was a job well done by Wolves this year and I'm really happy for Kenny Jackett, he's a very good manager and he's proven at the Championship too and without the money he'll see at Wolves this summer. If I fancied a cheeky bet I would seriously consider back-to-back promotions!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4786
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 15/4/2014 9:17:38 PM   
Goodfella

Shite, absolute shite.

Totally disaffected performance. Lots of possession but a case of all the gear, no idea. Spent most of the game running around like headless chickens and once again woeful at home in front of goal, the Yeovil performance last week looking ever an exception to the rule. Barnsley have been careful and considered and hit us twice in their stride, we have fluffed two clear-cut chances with open goals at our mercy and our players behaviour has been terrible scrapping with the Barnsley subs rather than focusing on actually winning potentially the most important game of our run-in.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4787
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 16/4/2014 7:40:00 AM   
jonson

Sounds like you had a lot of possession, 17 chances but only 2 on target?
I know we've laughed about the Frenchman over the years, and I know you were sorry to see him go, but for fuck's sake mate........................ Football owners eh? Clueless fuckers........
I still think you'll do it mate, Millwall and Barnsley have a harder run in, and that last game of the season for you will be the crunch game.
Not that I want to piss on your fire, but I was looking back at this thread the other day (for nostalgic reasons and the fact I started it and will be passing the toilet cleaning duty on to someone else ) back to when Leicester were relegated and my blinkered optimism in Feb/March (if we win the next 2 we could fly up the table - play offs by April) etc etc and it just proves that there's absolutely no way to predict football results or final league positions.
How many times does it come down to the last game of the season? Pretty much every year. I think you'll be safe, I really do. Last night was a "blip".

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4788
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 16/4/2014 12:32:10 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Sounds like you had a lot of possession, 17 chances but only 2 on target?
I know we've laughed about the Frenchman over the years, and I know you were sorry to see him go, but for fuck's sake mate........................ Football owners eh? Clueless fuckers........
I still think you'll do it mate, Millwall and Barnsley have a harder run in, and that last game of the season for you will be the crunch game.
Not that I want to piss on your fire, but I was looking back at this thread the other day (for nostalgic reasons and the fact I started it and will be passing the toilet cleaning duty on to someone else ) back to when Leicester were relegated and my blinkered optimism in Feb/March (if we win the next 2 we could fly up the table - play offs by April) etc etc and it just proves that there's absolutely no way to predict football results or final league positions.
How many times does it come down to the last game of the season? Pretty much every year. I think you'll be safe, I really do. Last night was a "blip".

By all accounts we dominated large passages of the game mate but our finishing lacked anything close to grace. It's a fitting point about Kermorgant, he's scored 6 goals in 11 appearances since joining Bournemouth and our strikers haven't scored that many combined since he left. In a game like that you need a physical player like Kermit who forces the issue in the box, most of our shots came from outside the area last night and our best chance fell to Harriot who is a wonderfully skilled player but can't finish for toffees and headed high and wide from two yards out. I can't understand why Riga didn't start Adjarevic last night, he may not be the quickest player but he's very composed on the ball, he's an intelligent player and he's got a remarkable shot on him, with strikers who very rarely score we should be starting our most goal-friendly midfielders which means that both Jackson and Adjarevic need to start every game from here on out, regardless of the schedule.

We still have a fighting chance like everybody else but we have Bolton at home and Sheffield Wednesday away across the course of the Easter weekend and I can see us losing both of them and our run-in is tough and weighed down with home games which right now is not a good thing, the distance between our home and away performances is large and I can't see a lot changing between now and the end of the season. Right now I'm pessimistic anyway, anything that leads to a shred of optimism from now on is a bonus.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4789
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 16/4/2014 9:48:51 PM   
CORLEONE

You'll sneak out of it I reckon. Cos Blackpool are bloody awful.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4790
Page:   <<   < prev  156 157 158 159 [160]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  156 157 158 159 [160]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI