Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  136 137 [138] 139 140   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 31/1/2013 12:38:13 PM   
Scott_

Fucking Norwich!

So thats Becchio, Snodgrass, Howson and Johnson they've signed from us in the last 2 years. We were in league 1 with that team...We've signed Steve Morison in exchange for Becchio though and he scored goals at this level so we may have done OK out of this deal. Although I guess this means Warnocks hoofball will continue for a while yet...

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4111
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 31/1/2013 12:42:41 PM   
superdan

As an outsider I'd be worried that without Becchio you're pretty much screwed. He scores so many important goals it's hard to know how you'll compete without him.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4112
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 31/1/2013 12:58:35 PM   
Scott_

Aye, alot of his goals have been winning goals (against Wolves for example. ) but Morison has scored at this level pretty consistently for Millwall so I hope he'll start banging them in straight away, if not theres always Ross McCormack...he's a good finisher, not consistent enough but he's more than capable of getting the goals. Davide Somma coming back from injury too. One of them will have to score eventually.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4113
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 1/2/2013 7:55:44 AM   
jonson

A great result last night, a so-so performance. I thought we leathered them in the first half, they had a few chances but on the whole, I thought we could and should have been 3 up at half time.
Then the inevitable wobble. 3 or 4 players were not at the races at all, some looked tired, a couple looked uninterested, but we scraped through with 3 points. Very pleased in the end.
I wasn't too impressed with some of the Wolves players. Very complacent, some of them looked less interested than ours, although Wolves' No.10 (Sako) was the best player on the pitch. Big, powerful, he wanted the ball and we backed off him all night (for some reason) but I was impressed.
Dean Saunders (I like him) was on the front of the dugout all night, barking orders, looking enthusiastic, I hope it works out for him there, I hope the players start playing for him and do the Wolves fans justice.
Up the Foxes!

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4114
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 2/2/2013 12:53:32 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

A great result last night, a so-so performance. I thought we leathered them in the first half, they had a few chances but on the whole, I thought we could and should have been 3 up at half time.
Then the inevitable wobble. 3 or 4 players were not at the races at all, some looked tired, a couple looked uninterested, but we scraped through with 3 points. Very pleased in the end.
I wasn't too impressed with some of the Wolves players. Very complacent, some of them looked less interested than ours, although Wolves' No.10 (Sako) was the best player on the pitch. Big, powerful, he wanted the ball and we backed off him all night (for some reason) but I was impressed.
Dean Saunders (I like him) was on the front of the dugout all night, barking orders, looking enthusiastic, I hope it works out for him there, I hope the players start playing for him and do the Wolves fans justice.
Up the Foxes!

The second half was the best we've played under Saunders, and ironically it was like the kind of performances we got under SS. I'm still not convinced Saunders is the right man for the job. 2 points from his 4 games against Blackburn, Wednesday, Blackpool and your boys - Solbakken got 12 against those same teams! The worst thing is that the team clearly needs an overhaul but the board are being tight as usual - one signing during the window, and it was an 18 year old from fucking Newport

Still, no complaints about the loss. Leicester thoroughly deserved the win based on the first half alone. The centreback Morgan is a bloody oak tree

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4115
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 2/2/2013 3:00:18 PM   
Goodfella

No mercy boys! Fuck the ninja clad, nancy boy ultras!!

Haven't seen a derby performance for quite some time now, think the 3,500 who swallowed up the tickets in a matter of hours deserve one, especially after the way we threw away three points last weekend!

We should also do it for the fact that cardigan-wearing orange glowstick is back in the country this week and most likely at the game, let's show our old pal Simes how 'morons' play proper football...

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4116
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 2/2/2013 4:50:20 PM   
Goodfella

Oh that's just lovely Charlton, that's just lovely.

What a way to kick the 3,091 supporters who made the trip in the teeth.

I take the smallest crumb of comfort from not being there but what a way to be embarrassed.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4117
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 2/2/2013 5:09:54 PM   
Goodfella

Once again it's the same problems that come to the surface...

The inability to kill the game off and get that crucial second goal despite creating at least three clear-cut opportunities that all went straight at Julian Speroni, Powell proving again that substitutions are anything about his strongpoint with reactionary and weak choices again (Wiggins on for Wagstaff reduces our width and our ability to use our height and physical presence that saw us dominate the first half) and, quite frankly, our players refusal to rise to the game and handle the pressure of a derby, getting the players to understand and recongise the feelings of many of the clubs' fans prior to these games is something Charlton have always found difficult. For four derby matches running now across three seasons we have been very poor.

To lose like that today is gut-wrenching and I'm not sure that isn't our season gone this afternoon, it'll take a lot time for some of the supporters to get over that.

The players should be made to get the train home with the fans if you ask me, might learn a lesson or two.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4118
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 7/2/2013 1:51:51 PM   
Goodfella

Ten Charlton fans have been arrested and charged relating to incidents that took place during and after our match with Crystal Palace last weekend. This is not the first spate of arrests we as a football club and set of supporters have recently been involved in, from the racist chanting at the FA Cup match against Fulham last year to the on-pitch clashes with Millwall supporters in December to this. This is not the first time I have voiced my concerns about a growing segment amongst our main core of supporters that are turning increasingly violent, especially at away matches. There is a growing interest in "firm" memoribilia and paraphenelia amongst some supporters at the club and the social media sites used to communicate this kind of behaviour are growing up in numbers, the main Charlton Athletic group page, one set up supporters of the club, is awash with this kind of attitude from a variety of ages (and funnily enough, sexes, I know two female fans who have been arrested in the past, one for assaulting a police officer and one for criminal damage, one was as young as 15 at the time) and vocations, they are not all drug-taking thugs who sign on the dole every Thursday, many of them hold very respectable positions in society during the weekdays. I've become concerned for some time that the attitude of these Charlton fans who feel mocked by the immaturity of those football fans (mainly Palace and Millwall in our case) who feel a lack of credibility in not having a "historic firm" or "mob" within the club's rank of followers are now trying to "seize the day" if you will and build something up for themselves. It may still seem small in number and the police will insist it's a minority, I can tell you it's not as small as you may think, those 10 arrested were the 10 caught red-handed. The far-right connections, the relationship with sects of Rangers supporters including several Charlton/Rangers pubs in both Kidbrooke and Glasgow and the growth in drug-taking at our football matches (security officials report a 17% increase in drug-related crimes in and around the football club on matchdays over the past 2 years) do not help whatsoever and I fear for our future as a reputable, family-friendly community club with a set of supporters, who 99.5% of which will welcome you for the challenge of, yes, a passionate and entertaining football match. Away supporters are no longer allowed in the club shop after 1pm (that's never been the case in the 25 years I've been a Charlton fan) and several more pubs around the ground are now home supporters only, which in the past were very public dual supporter pubs, with no problems whatsoever. The arrests for last weekend range from criminal damage to attempted assault and affray to possession of cocaine, sadly I know some of those names on the list and some of them don't surprise me, what worries me is the two or three that do.

The police, sadly, aren't going to win many supporters either in their renewed efforts to tackle the problems. Many Charlton fans, including myself and others who are not involved in football-related violence, have never forgiven the Met for the way they handled the 2008 train attacks when a group of Palace supporters set about a train carrying some Charlton supporters to the away game at Selhurst Park that previous season. The police had been widely tipped off about the planned attack and had not acted swiftly enough resulting in some very serious assaults that also ocurred on the general public, the Palace fans in question believed the train was a special-operated service carrying just football fans, it was not and seven commuters who had no relationship to the football match in question were left seriously injured. There is a harrowing story of a father who was knocked unconscious as he attempted to shield his young son from the attacks, a fire extingusher was also used in the assault. If you want to, although I'm not going to post the link as I have no interest in seeing the disgraceful footage again, go on to Youtube, they still have, I believe, the CCTV footage from the train station. It is probably the most defining footage of football hooliganism you will see outside of what happen at Upton Park a few years back.

But let me make it clear, I am in no way saying that incident paves the way for what these current crop of Charlton supporters are, I believe, trying to build. These are not unrelated incidents at Millwall and Palace, it is the same group of supporters and they are building troops, the use of flares and fireworks are a symbol of the Palace Ultras and this lot are trying to match and/or better it. I fear it's only going to get worse to be honest with you, it's been brewing for some time and along with our relegations and recent troubles prior to last season a 'hardcore' has developed at the club that are looking to put Charlton Athletic back on the map in more ways than one. A lot of our teenage supporters have worrying political and social views, I have no problem with opinion but some of their's is of hatred and vindication and it's all connected, I'm not sure the club appreciates how much of a serious issue it is yet either because like the history of most of this kind of violence, it's not in the majority related to home matches. Both the ICF and the Bushwhackers gained their notority in the 80s not with what they did at home, but with rather what they did on the road.

We host Millwall at home next month, always a tense, fierce derby. With the problems escalating dramatically over the previous two SE London derbies we took part in I can't imagine this one's going to go off without incident, like I said these Charlton fans are looking to make their mark, they're willing to risk getting "nicked and banned" and they feel, like most gang-
members do, part of something. Whereas in the past it was a small minority and handing out up to 5 banning orders would probably put an end to it, I now fear that are 10 ready and willing to replace the previous 10 who were arrested after this game and are most likely to be banned from attending future matches.

It has not just been limited to derby matches either. We've had problems at Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday and Blackpool this season.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 7/2/2013 1:58:26 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4119
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 7/2/2013 2:07:42 PM   
Scott_

I'll never understand how a game of football can incite such hatred and violence. These toxic cunts are a total waste of oxygen.

And thats probably all you'll get out of me on the subject, I stick to the stuff on the pitch. I don't read the papers or watch the news so I couldn't give a more eloquent view even if I wanted too.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4120
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 8/2/2013 11:30:26 AM   
Goodfella

For the attention of jonson, wherever he may be!

I'm up in London for a week next Sunday seeing family and friends and Tuesday fills a spare gap so I'll be popping up your way for our second meeting this season, to the Kung Pow Chicken stadium or whatever it's called these days! I take it you'll be attending?

From Devon to Leicester via London. Don't dare call me fickle!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4121
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 11/2/2013 7:44:50 AM   
jonson

Brilliant! There's loyal support for you. Yes, I shall be there. Enjoy your visit to the King Power, it will be your last for a few years, and don't cry when kermit gets booed.

It may be a good time to play us. 5 wins in a row then we come unstuck against the bottom team on Saturday. In all honesty, posh deserved the 3 points, we had too many players not trying their best, and I'm afraid if you're not at 100% you won't win in this league.
Luckily we've lost no ground, all the teams round us lost or drew, so while it could have been a chance to open a gap/put some pressure on Cardiff, we blew it.
Up the Foxes.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4122
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 11/2/2013 11:43:48 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

Brilliant! There's loyal support for you. Yes, I shall be there. Enjoy your visit to the King Power, it will be your last for a few years, and don't cry when kermit gets booed.

It may be a good time to play us. 5 wins in a row then we come unstuck against the bottom team on Saturday. In all honesty, posh deserved the 3 points, we had too many players not trying their best, and I'm afraid if you're not at 100% you won't win in this league.
Luckily we've lost no ground, all the teams round us lost or drew, so while it could have been a chance to open a gap/put some pressure on Cardiff, we blew it.
Up the Foxes.

Why would I cry as we all know that your lot will only be booing him because, just like at the Valley in August, he will have just scored a goal against you? Thanks, I'm looking forward too it, I went to your place when it was the Walkers but haven't been since and I'm fairly certain it was that long ago that both Emilie Heskey and Nicky Barmby played for you back then!

It may be a good time to play us too! No matter how well we start a game, home or away, we can't buy three points from the end of it and it's quite infuriating as, once again just like in October and November, just as looking we're to build a run, we come apart at the seams again and reek a certain lack of ambition. Saturday's result should never have been allowed to take place, there's no excuse that is plausible there, six minutes we had to hold out and to leave a man unmarked virtually on the penalty spot with the final kick of the game is very poor. Powell tries to dress it up in the post-match press conferences but I'm sure he's going to be speaking some home truths this week.

Hull and Leicester away the next two games, both teams vying for automatic promotion. That, right there, is why we can't afford to drop points in the fashion we have against the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4123
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 12/2/2013 12:56:29 PM   
Goodfella

The possibility of the day of the game changing from Tuesday to Wednesday due to Leicester's cup replay with Huddersfield tonight is bloody stupid if you ask me. Why not, after the cup tie ending in a draw, just reschedule it for Wednesday? It makes no real difference to anyone, what it does by leaving away fans hanging in the balance now is that some may have to book the time off work to go and haven't been given enough notice and those traveling up by train cannot book their tickets in advance as they do not know which day the game is. It doesn't effect me but it effects others, just make it Wednesday after the 1-1 draw and it saves all this messing about, we could probably use it actually given we're traveling up and back to Hull on Saturday for an away game and I'm sure Leicester aren't against another day's rest if they lose tonight!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4124
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 16/2/2013 3:40:46 PM   
Goodfella

Away from home against a big, physical team and we play two, tall strikers both capable of winning the ball in the air and holding it up and no genuine winger. Four central midfielders in midfield, two of which are holding players. Sometimes Powell just completely bemuses me and we're 1-0 down having not had a single shot on goal.

Not good enough. Again.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4125
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 18/2/2013 7:25:53 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Where's Di Canio going then?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4126
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 18/2/2013 9:08:41 PM   
erasheha1985

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Who knows, hard to say what his managerial ability actually is. Promoted from league 2, fair enough, but in that league Swindon are a big club, comparatively speaking with a big budget in that league, getting promoted should have been nailed on by any decent manager, not to diminish the achievement. Even in league 1 they have a sizeable wage bill. Been a few problems recently with owners pulling out of the club and an ongoing takeover and behind the scenes strife with a player being sold without his knowledge. However his demands for even more signings whilst they were already operating above restrictions suggest he doesn't have a grasp of the finance at that level.

As for the club they are one that has long been struggling to stay properly afloat, two administrations in recent history. I don't really know how we'll they've been run. Fair enough he seems to have had problems with the board, broken promises and all that stuff but it does seem that Di Canio in the lower leagues was never gonna end well.

That said they are in a decent position this season too, so maybe there is potential there.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 4127
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 18/2/2013 11:29:19 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: erasheha1985

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Who knows, hard to say what his managerial ability actually is. Promoted from league 2, fair enough, but in that league Swindon are a big club, comparatively speaking with a big budget in that league, getting promoted should have been nailed on by any decent manager, not to diminish the achievement. Even in league 1 they have a sizeable wage bill. Been a few problems recently with owners pulling out of the club and an ongoing takeover and behind the scenes strife with a player being sold without his knowledge. However his demands for even more signings whilst they were already operating above restrictions suggest he doesn't have a grasp of the finance at that level.

As for the club they are one that has long been struggling to stay properly afloat, two administrations in recent history. I don't really know how we'll they've been run. Fair enough he seems to have had problems with the board, broken promises and all that stuff but it does seem that Di Canio in the lower leagues was never gonna end well.

That said they are in a decent position this season too, so maybe there is potential there.

For his first managerial job in English football he did very well, the Football League is a lot tougher than many give it credit for and he rescued Swindon from a very slippery slope where they, two years previous, were League One play-off runners up (they beat us in the process and thoroughly deserved it) to being relegated to League Two, left on the brink of administration and despite the takeover they have had big changes in the boardroom since and struggled to keep up their payments, it's been far from an easy ride for Di Canio and in that time he has won promotion to League One, taken them to the final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy and got them flirting with the play-offs in League One. I would say that's a pretty good return given what he's been up against. He has had problems with certain players but he expects players to reflect his own professionalism as a football player (and I'm not talking about the ref-incident), when we signed him he was 35 years old and in incredible condition, he didn't drink during his time at the club and was a proper athlete, he inspired the team around him into the best run of our Premiership years and will never forget him turning John Terry inside out on our Boxing Day 4-2 win over Chelsea. He expects his players to constantly fight to better themselves and get to a higher standard, and as the likes of Leon Clarke find out if you disrespect that or show a cocky attitude, then Mr Di Canio will show you the door, which you will often be booted through.

I think he has the potential to be a good manager, if a fiery and hot-headed one, he needs the right club and chairman to work with and if he finds that then I think he will manage a lot higher than at the level he leaves Swindon at and I tip them to go into free-fall now.

He has a good relationship with us dating back to his playing days at the club and if Powell does happen to move on in the near future I certainly imagine he'd be under some serious consideration, especially with Peter Varney back at the club who was so heavily involved in his signature as a player. I still think he'll end up managing West Ham one day as well.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 18/2/2013 11:31:36 PM >

(in reply to erasheha1985)
Post #: 4128
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/2/2013 1:22:59 AM   
erasheha1985

Oh I agree that the football league is tough, I dont think its been an easy ride for him, but he certainly had it much better than a lot of clubs at that level, especially for one with a suspect financial history, he seemed to know the financial restraints but demanded more. Although it is up to the owners to deal with finances more than the manager, and they were for a period happy to indulge him, proverbial swings and roundabouts.

I just see him as maybe being a manager who needs solid financial backing. But he has shown enough to get a crack at a bigger club, and to be fair he did appear to want to really take the club forward. His next move will be an interesting one.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4129
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/2/2013 8:03:25 PM   
Goodfella

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the Kung Pow Chicken stadium tonight as I had an interview today. However several of my friends have made the trip and despite being quite intoxicated when I last spoke to them (you don't get a 10.30am train from St Pancras on a Tuesday matchday just for the best choice of seats y'know!) they have promised me an unbiased report on tonight which means I won't just have to rely on jonson's whining when Kermit bangs in a hatrick to further dent their automatic promotion hopes!

(in reply to erasheha1985)
Post #: 4130
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/2/2013 8:10:05 PM   
Goodfella

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4131
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/2/2013 9:20:35 PM   
Goodfella

*sigh*

Throwing points away again.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4132
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/2/2013 10:03:51 PM   
superdan

To borrow a quote from Turkish in Snatch - "Now, we are fucked". In the 2nd tier relegation zone for the first time in 14 years. What an appointment Hoofball Saunders is turning out to be

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4133
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/2/2013 10:31:46 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

To borrow a quote from Turkish in Snatch - "Now, we are fucked". In the 2nd tier relegation zone for the first time in 14 years. What an appointment Hoofball Saunders is turning out to be

I think there's a few Huddersfield fans who's backsides are really starting to squeak as well!

As for us, blow me away, Charlton on the right side of a comeback! It's not an overstatement to say we needed that and to be honest after Leicester equalized I fully expected them to go on and win it as we haven't been able to buy three points of late despite holing out for a lead in four of our last five matches, but Danny Haynes comes off the bench and seizes his chance hitting a screamer in from 20 yards out with his first touch. I really hope this is a sign he's back to full fitness now perhaps we can start to see consistency from the glimpses of form we have seen when Haynes has featured for us. He has a pretty impressive goals to games ratio of 7 goals in 25 appearances, with only 11 of those being starts.

Mind you those stats don't make for the best reading, as I shall now point out for jonson's pleasure more than anyone's! That was Yann Kermorgant's 20th goal for us tonight in 57 appearances, and his eighth of this current campaign of which he missed three and a half months through injury. Yip yip Yann really is our French-MAN!!! So did they boo him lots jonson mate? I bet they bloody did and I bet he bloody loved it!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4134
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 20/2/2013 8:08:35 AM   
jonson

You couldn't fucking wait could you?

Right, first things first. We were dog shit in the first half, as bad as I've seen us play. Plenty of possession but nothing in the final third, and Charlton sat and soaked it up. Then a mistake on the right by De Laet (although I hear they are blaming Drinkwater) and the big frog bloke cooly side footed in (more of him later )
Second half we came out more positive. Good mind games from Charlton who made the City players wait nearly 5 minutes before coming out. Second half we bossed the game, but without looking threatening, which I think suited Charlton completely. A counter-attack goal by them was more likely than us scoring, despite keeping the ball for large passes of play. We got the equalizer (after City's best move of the game) then looked to push on - but still I didn't think we'd get it.
Haynes comes on, one touch (after a flick on by Kermit - I think) and a cracking looping volley (more of a redirection than a screamer) over Schmeichel's head. Job done. We had no more huff and puff left in us.
One thing I noticed last night was the crowd. The Leicester fans were on their backs from the off, it was unsettling and I don't know how bad for the players. We had a few scuffles behind us from fans possibly shouting bad language, and tensions were high. everyone was ratty. It went through to the players I think.

Secondly Kermongant. Now, apart from the banter on here, I honestly have no problem with him.
No, seriously
Yes, he made one of the stupidest mistakes I have ever seen on a football pitch, whether it cost us a place in the Play-off final we'll never know (because Waghorn went on to miss the next penalty anyway) I'm sure he's learnt his mistake.
Talking in the pub beforehand, most fans I spoke to were not interested anymore. They all agreed he was an idiot that night. But hatred? Booing? Abuse? I heard a bit but was quite surprised at the quiet reaction he got (and let's face it, everyone in the ground knew he was going to score so there's no point winding him up)
Kermongant's reaction to scoring? 1 arm held up, no blatant over dramatical celebrations, no hand cupped to the ear at the home fans, no smug expression. While I would have been tempted to slide on my knees in front of the Kop end, he didn't, and fair play to him. As a performer over the 90 minutes, he was outstanding. Keen, enthusiastic, he won every ball in the air (no mean feet against our 2 centre backs) he held it up well. I even heard some fans after the game berating the fact we got rid of him.
Very dissapointing from our point of view. I'm pleased for Powell (who got a great reception - top bloke - he must be given time, I really hope he makes a name for himself in management) but annoyed we didn't at least get a point in the end. Whether Charlton deserved all 3 I'd debate to be honest, if it goes on chances and possession we shaded it, but it's not, it's about only scoring 1 goal to their 2.

So you fucker, that's the double over us this season, although on last night's performance by both teams, we've got the chance to put that right next season

< Message edited by jonson -- 20/2/2013 8:10:30 AM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4135
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 20/2/2013 4:28:52 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

You couldn't fucking wait could you?

In all fairness mate, I did tempt fate. I posted that first comment two minutes before Kermit scored and usually that kind of thing backfires on me, and when SSN said we're off for a goal at the King Pow, I thought I'd well and truly gone and done it!

quote:

Right, first things first. We were dog shit in the first half, as bad as I've seen us play. Plenty of possession but nothing in the final third, and Charlton sat and soaked it up. Then a mistake on the right by De Laet (although I hear they are blaming Drinkwater) and the big frog bloke cooly side footed in (more of him later )
Second half we came out more positive. Good mind games from Charlton who made the City players wait nearly 5 minutes before coming out. Second half we bossed the game, but without looking threatening, which I think suited Charlton completely. A counter-attack goal by them was more likely than us scoring, despite keeping the ball for large passes of play. We got the equalizer (after City's best move of the game) then looked to push on - but still I didn't think we'd get it.
Haynes comes on, one touch (after a flick on by Kermit - I think) and a cracking looping volley (more of a redirection than a screamer) over Schmeichel's head. Job done. We had no more huff and puff left in us.
One thing I noticed last night was the crowd. The Leicester fans were on their backs from the off, it was unsettling and I don't know how bad for the players. We had a few scuffles behind us from fans possibly shouting bad language, and tensions were high. everyone was ratty. It went through to the players I think.

That's pretty much how I've heard it too. Yep, most Leicester fans I know have been blaming the first goal on Drinkwater, was he supposed to be marking Kermit as he was left pretty wide open to drill the ball home, reminded me a bit of the goal he scored against you at the Valley, hanging back off his man and making sure he stays in the right area and gobbling up his chance when it comes his way. It's the system we have employed in a lot of games this year, especially against the bigger, promotion-chasing clubs, trying to soak up the pressure, defending sternly across the line and zonal marking, making sure everyone does their job, it hasn't always worked and it's backfired on us at home where I feel we should be more aggressive in our attacking play but it's guided us to some fine results on the road this season, last night another pivotal one as we have breached the league's best defence four times this season.

I post in a few other forums and know some Leicester fans through social media and their frustrations do seem to have been growing of late, I think in the build-up to and after the Christmas period they seem to believe that you would kick on and move into the top two in the way that Hull have whereas it seems you haven't been able to put together that double-figures run together to get in there or, rather, when you have slipped up it's been the start in a downturn in form, rather than responding the following week and getting back up there. Your still right in the mix though and have a couple of games in hand, you need to get at least four points from those two and you will still have a chance to catch Hull. Ending up in the play-offs the current way they are looking, it's anyone's for the taking, apart from Palace of course. I fully expect, and demand, that you beat Palace whatever the eventual outcome.

As for Haynes goal, it was a lovely first-time strike that was more redirection than a screamer, but really good to see, his sixth of an injury-hit campaign and the lad has shown some real flashes of potential, especially in his finishing ability, when he has been given the chance, I think he needs a good run in the team and stay healthy and he could be a real figure in our future in this league. Wright-Phillips went on loan to Brentford yesterday until the end of the season and that doesn't surprise me at all, it takes him up to end of his contract with us, so I suspect we've seen the last of him in a Charlton shirt bar something surprising happening in the summer. He was excellent for us last season, a driving force in our league championship and promotion but, whether it's in our system or not, he hasn't cut the mustard for us this year. Just 1 goal in 21 appearances and he's become our fourth or fifth choice striker so it was the right move for both us and him. I wish him the very best for the future and thank him for his services to the club.

quote:

Secondly Kermongant. Now, apart from the banter on here, I honestly have no problem with him.
No, seriously
Yes, he made one of the stupidest mistakes I have ever seen on a football pitch, whether it cost us a place in the Play-off final we'll never know (because Waghorn went on to miss the next penalty anyway) I'm sure he's learnt his mistake.
Talking in the pub beforehand, most fans I spoke to were not interested anymore. They all agreed he was an idiot that night. But hatred? Booing? Abuse? I heard a bit but was quite surprised at the quiet reaction he got (and let's face it, everyone in the ground knew he was going to score so there's no point winding him up)
Kermongant's reaction to scoring? 1 arm held up, no blatant over dramatical celebrations, no hand cupped to the ear at the home fans, no smug expression. While I would have been tempted to slide on my knees in front of the Kop end, he didn't, and fair play to him. As a performer over the 90 minutes, he was outstanding. Keen, enthusiastic, he won every ball in the air (no mean feet against our 2 centre backs) he held it up well. I even heard some fans after the game berating the fact we got rid of him.
Very dissapointing from our point of view. I'm pleased for Powell (who got a great reception - top bloke - he must be given time, I really hope he makes a name for himself in management) but annoyed we didn't at least get a point in the end. Whether Charlton deserved all 3 I'd debate to be honest, if it goes on chances and possession we shaded it, but it's not, it's about only scoring 1 goal to their 2.

So you fucker, that's the double over us this season, although on last night's performance by both teams, we've got the chance to put that right next season

Powell did an interview a couple of days ago where he basically echoed those thoughts. He said Kermorgant has moved on, the Leicester fans have moved on, he's moved on, everyone has. To be honest I can't blame any Leicester fans who booed him, it's how we all feel about Nicky Bailey who blasted a penalty in the North Upper and blew our chances of promotion first-time round, ran off the pitch crying and then handed in a transfer request three days later. I just enjoy the banter opportunities it offers, especially when he scores in each game!

He's been one of our best players since he signed for us, everything you say about his work-rate and his style of play is pretty much what I have seen of him. His goal return, for a player who previously struggled in English football, is magnificent and he has made the step-up from League One to the Championship very well, he pretty much has picked up where he left off last season and I say again, if we'd had him for those three and a half months when he was injured (not to mention Rhoys Wiggins, another key player) I reckon we'd have another few more points to our tally. They are game-changers, they can't win games single-handedly, it's a team effort, but they can make those moments that others can't, Kermorgant especially with his aerial ability in what is a very physically tough league.

Yeah I heard Powell got a great reaction, no question going into the game he had mixed feelings about it and I do ponder, especially with Leicester's recent managerial record, that you may not have seen the last of him on the touchline but there's nothing we can do about that now, I know he won't be our manager forever, especially if he continues down this current path. A lot forget he is still effectively a rookie, just over two years in charge in his first job as a head coach and already a League title, the record of being one of just seven managers who led their team to a 100 points-plus total in the Football League and now the manager of what is starting to feel like a proper, stable championship club again. Another 5 or 6 points and we're more than likely safe as well and I'd like to see us push on and try and finish in the top 12.

It's okay mate, it's been our pleasure, thanks once again for the six points! I still think we won't see you next season as you will get promoted and I think bar Cardiff, last night's result was a blip as was the 5-4 defeat against us back in October, the rest is well and truly up for grabs. Going into the business end of the season I think it's going to be an exciting and nervous end to the campaign, at both ends of the table.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4136
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 21/2/2013 7:22:31 PM   
Goodfella

With all the tension surrounding football tension and violence lately, especially where Millwall are concerned, I must say this did make me chuckle. Check it out -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzVh_c4ovKA

A joint effort apparently between a Charlton and a Millwall supporter. When times are tough sometimes you both have to sit back and have a laugh at yourselves and the inevitable stereotypes that come with being a football supporter from South London!

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 21/2/2013 7:23:20 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4137
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 22/2/2013 7:49:25 AM   
jonson

Very good. You can tell it was done by a football fan, the spelling is awful ( I was going to say atrocious but wasn't sure if I'd spelt it right myself )
furher!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4138
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 23/2/2013 3:20:23 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Very good. You can tell it was done by a football fan, the spelling is awful ( I was going to say atrocious but wasn't sure if I'd spelt it right myself )
furher!

Football fans from South London jonson, what do you expect!? Beats the attempts I'd expect from you Northerners though! And no shit about being "from the Midlands", your as good as North too me!

Forest at home today, it'll be a tough one, they'll be in the mood after their goal frenzy on Tuesday night and our record at home on a Saturday afternoon is about as measly as they come. We've also signed Jonathan Obika on loan until the end of the season from Spurs, not really sure what to make of that, he's seen a few loan clubs as a 23 year-old but he's going to have work hard to break into our impressive three front-men at the moment.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4139
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 23/2/2013 3:42:50 PM   
Goodfella

Kermorgant's been sent off, the decision apparently made by the linesman on the other side of the pitch. Apparently it was all 50/50 and Greg Halford got a nice push in too, yeah I remember Halford, another one of our former wastes of space who contributed to two relegation's in three seasons. Twat!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4140
Page:   <<   < prev  136 137 [138] 139 140   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  136 137 [138] 139 140   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI