Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 5/1/2013 10:40:38 PM   
superdan

So Abramovich wannabe Morgan swings his ax for the third time in a year. What a fucking joke, anyone who takes the job is a madman #pissedoffwolvesfan

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4081
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 6/1/2013 1:03:14 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

So Abramovich wannabe Morgan swings his ax for the third time in a year. What a fucking joke, anyone who takes the job is a madman #pissedoffwolvesfan

Like I said back at the time it was a poor appointment, this league is very tough and having some experience at this level or at least in English football is important, plus with it being club who has just been relegated the expectations of promotion will be higher, it was not the right job for someone like Solbakken.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4082
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 6/1/2013 1:21:14 AM   
superdan

I still maintain Solbakken wasn't the problem. It isn't as though he took over a successful side and made them shit. The bulk of the team have been crap for a couple of years now, they were crap under Mick, they were crap under TC and they've been crap under Stale. The manager always takes the fall, but it's the players that are a disgrace.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4083
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 6/1/2013 3:07:45 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I still maintain Solbakken wasn't the problem. It isn't as though he took over a successful side and made them shit. The bulk of the team have been crap for a couple of years now, they were crap under Mick, they were crap under TC and they've been crap under Stale. The manager always takes the fall, but it's the players that are a disgrace.

A lot of the early reports seem to suggest that Solbakken never really connected with the dressing room, perhaps a player problem then but it is part of the managers job to get his team under his wing, from the get-go this appointment was a complete unknown and it hasn't settled an already fraught, post-relegation squad. Dean Saunders is a good move, he's done a good job at Doncaster with very limited resources.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4084
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 10/1/2013 6:06:03 PM   
Goodfella

The Michael Appleton coaching carousel is likely to do us a favour ahead of Blackpool's visit to the Valley this weekend. Blackburn are believed to have made approach to speak to Appleton, currently Blackpool's manager or has been for just the past two months, and he reportedly missed training today. After the dismal and effortless way we exited the cup last weekend we are due a big performance and an important three points at home and I expect us to go out and get that now.

That's of course if the forecast snow doesn't kill the game altogether...

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4085
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 12/1/2013 2:59:35 PM   
Goodfella

One up front, at home? Hmmmmm, that doesn't exactly fill me full of confidence. I can only assume Fuller isn't entirely fit otherwise I'd have him up front alongside Kermit.

Powelly's confirmed this week he will consider offers this transfer window for BWP. I'm completely content with this, one goal in 21 appearances isn't anywhere near good enough at this level and I can't see it getting any better and if it helps us to sign Rob Hulse permenantly I'm pleased.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4086
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 14/1/2013 2:41:22 PM   
jonson

Good result in the end Goodfella

A hat-trick on Saturday for Chris Wood. 21 years old, 1 million, 6 goals in 3 games. Bargain of the season so far.
I appreciate West Brom are a good Premiership side, but I don't think they quite knew what they had. If he continues at this rate (16 this season now including what he got for Millwall) he'll be the buy of the season.
Very pleased with our progress, I think we look, with the possible exception of Cardiff, like the best team in the division now. If we get a win at home on Friday night agianst 'boro, we'll be sitting in second place. If we can continue this run of form (and more importantly, we are actually playing really well now) then I think automatic promotion (rather than the favoured Wembley win ) will be ours.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4087
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 14/1/2013 3:03:59 PM   
Scott_

Losing to Barnsley...BARNSLEY!!! The fuck? We are always shit around the holiday period, it shouldn't be a suprise really but losing to Barnsley is just rubbish.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4088
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 14/1/2013 6:22:30 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

A hat-trick on Saturday for Chris Wood. 21 years old, 1 million, 6 goals in 3 games. Bargain of the season so far.
I appreciate West Brom are a good Premiership side, but I don't think they quite knew what they had. If he continues at this rate (16 this season now including what he got for Millwall) he'll be the buy of the season.
Very pleased with our progress, I think we look, with the possible exception of Cardiff, like the best team in the division now. If we get a win at home on Friday night agianst 'boro, we'll be sitting in second place. If we can continue this run of form (and more importantly, we are actually playing really well now) then I think automatic promotion (rather than the favoured Wembley win ) will be ours.

Yep, a win at home on a 3pm Saturday afternoon kick-off and that's the first one of the season! That was definitely one for the fans and hopefully the next few will be too. We travel to Michael Appleton's new team next weekend, Blackburn, and whilst our away form has been better they'll be tricky customers with a new boss in charge and I would take a point. I felt sorry for Steve Thompson and Blackpool over the weekend, you could tell from his interviews how peed off they all are at the managerial merry go-round taking place there and after all this you can't blame the players if it's having an effect, they actually played pretty well on Saturday and are doing okay in the league given everything that's gone on, other clubs would be propping up the foot of the table by now in their circumstances.

Wood is doing very well but there's a sizeable gap between the standard in the championship and the premiership and players who really excel at this level you can never be 100% sure (it's the same for League One and the championship, just look at BWP and Gary Madine and where they were last year and where they are now!) but I think he'll get his shot next season as I still expect you to sneak in and get that second spot off wannabe pretenders Hull and Palace!

quote:

Losing to Barnsley...BARNSLEY!!! The fuck? We are always shit around the holiday period, it shouldn't be a suprise really but losing to Barnsley is just rubbish.

It does seem to be the Leeds way with these niggling defeats against what appears to be inferior opposition. Mind you we lost 1-0 to Barnsley at home after we'd gone to Blackpool and won 2-0 so it just goes to show anyone can beat anyone in this league. Dave Jones settled his fears about his job on Saturday evening with Wednesday's big 3-1 win at Hull, but Simon Grayson must have his concerns now, I think Huddersfield haven't won in 11 league games now.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4089
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 15/1/2013 7:57:20 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Yep, a win at home on a 3pm Saturday afternoon kick-off and that's the first one of the season!

Yeah, I was watching the goals last night and he said it was your first Saturday home win since May

quote:

Wood is doing very well but there's a sizeable gap between the standard in the championship and the premiership and players who really excel at this level you can never be 100% sure (it's the same for League One and the championship, just look at BWP and Gary Madine and where they were last year and where they are now!) but I think he'll get his shot next season as I still expect you to sneak in and get that second spot off wannabe pretenders Hull and Palace!

I think the gap in between all 3 leagues is massive. Like I said, I know West Brom obviously didn't need him, but the size of him, his age and the fact he knows where the back of the net is - it amazes me they let him go so cheaply.
Still, their loss our gain. He can get a hat-trick against them next season and prove them wrong

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4090
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 15/1/2013 8:31:07 AM   
superdan

I think I'm the only one who thinks the gap between the PL and the Championship isn't all that big these days. Sure the gap between the top 5 or 6 teams and the Championship is massive, but the rest of the PL? I don't think they're that much better. Look at how Stoke, Wigan, Swansea, West Ham, Norwich etc have done recently. Southampton are finding some form, and we could even be looking at mighty Aston Villa taking a drop to the 2nd tier for the first time in over 25 years. Maybe it's a general change in approach to football, more professional, better facilities etc., but I honestly think promoted teams stand a reasonable chance of staying up.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4091
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 15/1/2013 10:05:58 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I think I'm the only one who thinks the gap between the PL and the Championship isn't all that big these days. Sure the gap between the top 5 or 6 teams and the Championship is massive, but the rest of the PL? I don't think they're that much better. Look at how Stoke, Wigan, Swansea, West Ham, Norwich etc have done recently. Southampton are finding some form, and we could even be looking at mighty Aston Villa taking a drop to the 2nd tier for the first time in over 25 years. Maybe it's a general change in approach to football, more professional, better facilities etc., but I honestly think promoted teams stand a reasonable chance of staying up.

Just as an example as I'm not anywhere near 100% sure where I stand on this but if we were to play the Swansea team at the height they have over the past few weeks I would suspect we would be roundly beaten, as I imagine would most of this current championship.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4092
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 15/1/2013 10:20:42 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

Just as an example as I'm not anywhere near 100% sure where I stand on this but if we were to play the Swansea team at the height they have over the past few weeks I would suspect we would be roundly beaten, as I imagine would most of this current championship.

Playing a good team in form? Sure, they would be favourites, but how much would you be willing to bet they'd walk it? Not all that much I would suspect. I certainly wouldn't. And as for my original point, don't forget Swansea only went up through the playoffs and still finished 11th in the PL the following season.

Since the 07/08 season, only 3 teams that got promoted have come straight back down the following year (and it's only 8 since the inception of the Championship in 2004). I think that's reasonable evidence of a fairly robust and competitive second tier (or a fairly weak top tier if you want to be pessimistic ).

< Message edited by superdan -- 15/1/2013 10:21:07 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4093
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 15/1/2013 10:30:54 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

quote:

Playing a good team in form? Sure, they would be favourites, but how much would you be willing to bet they'd walk it? Not all that much I would suspect. I certainly wouldn't. And as for my original point, don't forget Swansea only went up through the playoffs and still finished 11th in the PL the following season.

Since the 07/08 season, only 3 teams that got promoted have come straight back down the following year (and it's only 8 since the inception of the Championship in 2004). I think that's reasonable evidence of a fairly robust and competitive second tier (or a fairly weak top tier if you want to be pessimistic ).

Well you can use that ideaology either way but still I wouldn't fancy our current squad, for example, in the premiership right now. Virtually all teams rebuild and retool following promotion and adapt different tactics, maybe it's credit to the management in English football at the moment that so many have made a success of it rather than the gap being smaller than we all think.

I will say this, the championship is an incredibly tough league, a lot tougher than old Nationwide D1. For example you don't see many teams get relegated and then go straight back up (like we did in 1999/2000), I'm sure you can testify to that superdan given your current circumstances and I most certainly can! I think this league is a good endurance programme ahead of possible promotion to the premiership that's for sure!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4094
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 15/1/2013 10:51:07 PM   
superdan

quote:

Well you can use that ideaology either way but still I wouldn't fancy our current squad, for example, in the premiership right now. Virtually all teams rebuild and retool following promotion and adapt different tactics, maybe it's credit to the management in English football at the moment that so many have made a success of it rather than the gap being smaller than we all think.

I certainly think improvements in management have made a difference, and that goes for all levels of management. Facilities, coaching and fitness have all been improved dramatically in recent years. Pitches in the Championship are often the equal of those at the top (unless you're Blackpool) which has aided a more cultured approach as well, I think. Attendances are generally good too (4th best attended division in Europe and all that) which helps those finances a bit.

quote:

I will say this, the championship is an incredibly tough league, a lot tougher than old Nationwide D1. For example you don't see many teams get relegated and then go straight back up (like we did in 1999/2000), I'm sure you can testify to that superdan given your current circumstances and I most certainly can! I think this league is a good endurance programme ahead of possible promotion to the premiership that's for sure!

Agreed, and it's not as if the D1 was exactly a walk in the park! One of the most gruelling divisions in the game imo (which can only be a good thing). And it gets harder every single fucking year

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4095
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/1/2013 10:15:00 AM   
jonson

So I missed the first half thanks to being stuck in snow for 3 hours (next time the missus suggests taking her 4 wheel drive to work say YES! Rear wheel drive automatics in the snow makes you look like a twat when being passed by Peugeot 205's )
So, I finally settled down in front of the fire to the second half. Great result, good game, the 14 pass move before Nugent's cracking goal was lovely football, and then for Schmeichel to make THAT penalty save in the final minute (and the penalty I thought was decent as well) was just amazing. Only 9 thousand braved the weather (we had 12" of snow in the afternoon around the stadium so I can't believe that many made it) as well as 600 hardy souls from Middelsborough (give those fans a medal I say) it was the resut that put us in the automatice promotion spot, and deservedly so even if I do say so myself. At least until 5pm that is
Up the Foxes!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4096
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/1/2013 4:52:19 PM   
dr. salvador

Play-offs for us again and that's if we're lucky!

We have had 70 minutes against 10 men today and managed only 3 shots on target

< Message edited by dr. salvador -- 19/1/2013 4:57:11 PM >

"Say hey Johnny boy, the battle call.
United we stand, divided we fall.
Together we are what we can't be alone,
We came to this country, you made it our home."

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4097
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/1/2013 5:06:39 PM   
superdan

It's good to see the revolution is well underway with Hoofball Saunders in charge - 2 whole shots against Wednesday (0 on target)

(in reply to dr. salvador)
Post #: 4098
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/1/2013 9:09:33 PM   
Goodfella

Another excellent win on the road today, have to say I didn't expect it at all, new boss in charge up at Ewood Park and we hadn't won more than two back to back all season so far prior to today but it seems we were well worth the three points, by all accounts it was one of our best performances of the season so far.

Stephens' goal is well worth staying up for apparently, and there was a trademark header from Kermit (I'm sure jonson will be pinned to his TV later for that, staying up in the cold or not!) and after Blackburn had come back straight away after the restart I feared the worst a bit but judging from the twitter feed we saw it out comfortably in the end.

10 points clear of the relegation zone, 7 outside of the play-off's. If someone had send to me in August that's where we'd be at the start of the New Year I'd have been delighted, and I still am and this is proving to be a good little run. For a team managed by what is still effectively a rookie manager (Powell's game today marked two years in charge, his first management job) with a win record today of 47% which leaves me pleasently surprised that none of the recent managerless clubs haven't paid more attention to him. We only made four signings in the summer too so this squad has made the transition, bar a few, really well from League One. Only BWP remains the real outcast, after Matt Taylor and Johnnie Jackson fought back well recently to find some inspiring form.

Wednesday at home next weekend, another winning result with a few in the league still in the cup would be brilliant.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4099
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/1/2013 9:35:00 PM   
Scott_

Scrappy win but they all count, we're still in touch with the play-offs but performances need to improve sharpish if we are to stand a chance of making them. Sort out the fucking midfield too! Put Ross Barkley in alongside Rodolph Austin, seeing Michael Brown on the teamsheet makes me cry. What a fucking awful player he is.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4100
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/1/2013 9:37:39 PM   
Hooch0959

quote:

We knew all about him mate but he was getting sick of being shunted out on loan, so the Albion reluctantly agreed to let him go permanently. He divides opinion at the Albion and me and my mate fight like cat & dog about him. I swear blind Wood will make a Premiership Striker he reckons not. Then again my mates a twat who said Winston White looked good when we signed him under Bobby Gould. The only question marks I heard about him was he was a touch slow and he is so big that if he was to grow anymore it may seriously hamper his mobility. On the cusp of being too big I think I heard

Anyhow good luck to the kid, hope he does well and Leicester come up, quite like Leicester me

"Stand away from those stern cleats! Back home we get a taxidermy man, he's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"

"I have a gift for disaster"

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4101
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 21/1/2013 8:28:36 AM   
jonson

Cheers Hooch, nice to hear a West Brom opinion (what the fuck are you doing in here? ) He is a big lad, I agree he looks like he could be too big, but he's solid and to be fair, his touch and manoueverability (I know that's probably spelt wrong but I can't be arsed to check) are very good for a chunk.

quote:

Then again my mates a twat who said Winston White looked good

Winston White!! He started at Leicester! That's a name I've not heard for a long time. He was fucking rubbish

quote:

and there was a trademark header from Kermit (I'm sure jonson will be pinned to his TV later for that, staying up in the cold or not!)

Yes, I did see it. Good goal, he looks useful, that frog cunt, don't let him take a penalty though, he'll cost you 90 million. Tosser

Another good result for you as well. I think Powell is doing a cracking job, he's a good up and coming manager, I know you rate him when you win but you don't when you lose but really I think he'll be a top manager one day.

(in reply to Hooch0959)
Post #: 4102
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 21/1/2013 4:48:06 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Yes, I did see it. Good goal, he looks useful, that frog cunt, don't let him take a penalty though, he'll cost you 90 million. Tosser

Another good result for you as well. I think Powell is doing a cracking job, he's a good up and coming manager, I know you rate him when you win but you don't when you lose but really I think he'll be a top manager one day.

Hey, hey, hey! That is simly not true, I am in no way a fairweather fan, just look at my bank statements!!

It's not Powell I criticise when I see heartless performances, it's the players. It's problem that has existed in spells at the club since Alan Curbishley was in charge so it's nothing new and it's not that I'm foolish enough to not expect losses, it's the way we take our foot off the gas and consolidate with a lack of ambition about our football.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4103
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 22/1/2013 7:35:27 PM   
Hooch0959

quote:

Cheers Hooch, nice to hear a West Brom opinion (what the fuck are you doing in here? ) He is a big lad, I agree he looks like he could be too big, but he's solid and to be fair, his touch and manoueverability (I know that's probably spelt wrong but I can't be arsed to check) are very good for a chunk.

I spend more time reading this thread than any of the others, I hate the greed league.

Also I know I'll get pelters but I'd rather read the opinion of folks in here that go to the football, than folk who have watched Match of the Day

< Message edited by Hooch0959 -- 22/1/2013 7:37:07 PM >

"Stand away from those stern cleats! Back home we get a taxidermy man, he's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"

"I have a gift for disaster"

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4104
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 24/1/2013 5:54:31 PM   
Scott_

Bollocks. Becchio has handed in a transfer request. Now who will I swoon over on weekends?

(in reply to Hooch0959)
Post #: 4105
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 24/1/2013 6:16:26 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Bollocks. Becchio has handed in a transfer request. Now who will I swoon over on weekends?

Olivier Giroud? (only on TV though.)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4106
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 25/1/2013 3:00:35 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

Habib Habibou if rumours are to be believed. He should be signed on his name alone.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4107
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 25/1/2013 4:29:24 PM   
Scott_

Habib Habibou? That us one awesome name.

Also a quick google search turned up this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7VKpT8zdsg

I don't even...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Olivier Giroud? (only on TV though.)

It won't be the same, no matter how handsome Giroud is.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 4108
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 26/1/2013 3:13:10 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I take it is also that bollocks that Sheffield Wednesday are his expected destination?

Really says something about the BBC that they would rather have London 94.9 commentating on the cup tie between QPR and MK Dons, which QPR's team line-up suggests they probably care even less about it than me. With both ourselves and Watford in the play-off mix playing against clubs in other cruch situations on a weekend in which they will have plenty of other cup football to commentate on, it really is a shocking decision.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4109
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 26/1/2013 4:57:38 PM   
Goodfella

Shameful. What a horrific way to throw away three points, at home, in front of 18,000 fans who have braved the snow and cold! Well the players should get to see the snow, not their beds tomorrow morning, with a welcoming morning Sunday training session!

Why, why, WHY can't we do it at home this season!?!?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4110
Page:   <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI