Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  134 135 [136] 137 138   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 3/12/2012 7:40:02 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

we've got in Wes Brown the best centre back I've seen at Leicester for over 10 years

Fuck me, I think I called him that twice on Saturday as well. Wes Morgan not Brown, I think the people in front of me were thinking I was being racist or something.
It's in my head now.
Wes Morgan, Wes Morgan, Wes Morgan

Anyway. YES. We beat the sheep shaggers.
First half an hour was as good as I've seen us play. We should have had 4 (some good saves by their keeper) but to go in at half time 2-1 up, slightly on a knife edge, was quite dissapointing. Luckily, we had Nugent on the bench who came on and showed his class. He'll bag 25 goals for us this season, it could be the difference, he really is a quality footballer.
Personally I thought we deserved the comfortable win. I did record the match and skimmed through it when I got home, only to hear the SKY commentator say "don't be fooled by the scoreline, it was alot closer than it looks" Was it fuckl!! Not from where I was sitting it didn't. Apart from maybe 15 minutes in the first half and the same in the second, it was all Leicester. I don't remember Schmeichel having that many saves to make.
Oh well, 3 points, home to Barnsley on Saturday which, if we play like that again, should be 3 more points in the bag.
Up the Foxes.

quote:

Sounds like we had to battle hard for the point but I'll take it. We'll have 'em at the Valley!

That's fighting talk.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4051
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 3/12/2012 10:48:54 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

That's fighting talk.

No, on a serious note, plenty of our fans have disappointed me on Saturday. No need for that and it's not what we're about as a football club, if they want to pull this kind of crap then they may as well go and become Millwall fans. This stuff about attacking a stewards and fighting on the pitch is not acceptable, nor is the flare, and they do not belong in football, whatever Crystal Palace fans might try and say!! They are dangerous items and I am still at a loss, maybe I'm being naive, as to where a football fan gets a flare and also how he manages to sneak it into a derby game, I would assume the police would have been searching all fans at the turnstiles, like they were last time we played. If we get an FA fine for this then perhaps these supporters want to club together and pay it. Fucking idiots.

Huddersfield at home in the FA Cup, a competition I could give a fuck about. Sod the cups, at least it's not us having to make the trip to Yorkshire on a cold January afternoon I suppose.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4052
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 3/12/2012 11:01:37 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Huddersfield at home in the FA Cup, a competition I could give a fuck about. Sod the cups, at least it's not us having to make the trip to Yorkshire on a cold January afternoon I suppose.

Trip to Kenilworth Road for Wolves, which hopefully will give me the chance for bragging rights over my Luton-supporting stepdad I love the FA Cup, I'd give anything - anything - for Wolves to make the final. I can't understand why so many fans seem to sneer at it these days, it makes me sad. I can understand it from supporters from the few clubs who are spoilt by their success, but for the majority who will never, ever, win the league the Cups are their only chance of winning a trophy and having something special to remember.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4053
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 3/12/2012 11:24:20 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

Trip to Kenilworth Road for Wolves, which hopefully will give me the chance for bragging rights over my Luton-supporting stepdad I love the FA Cup, I'd give anything - anything - for Wolves to make the final. I can't understand why so many fans seem to sneer at it these days, it makes me sad. I can understand it from supporters from the few clubs who are spoilt by their success, but for the majority who will never, ever, win the league the Cups are their only chance of winning a trophy and having something special to remember.

We haven't won an FA Cup since 1947, we've been to the quarter-finals three times since then, I'm not holding out a lot of hope. I'd much rather we focus on stablising our season in the championship, look at these games as nothing more than an opportunity to test fringe and younger players for the rest of the campaign and perhaps build towards getting back to the Premiership. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the FA Cup, but from a Charlton perspective I'm not in the slighest bit bothered about it.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4054
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 3/12/2012 11:48:50 AM   
superdan

quote:

We haven't won an FA Cup since 1947, we've been to the quarter-finals three times since then, I'm not holding out a lot of hope. I'd much rather we focus on stablising our season in the championship, look at these games as nothing more than an opportunity to test fringe and younger players for the rest of the campaign and perhaps build towards getting back to the Premiership. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the FA Cup, but from a Charlton perspective I'm not in the slighest bit bothered about it.

The chances of winning it are greatly lessened if you use it to test fringe and youth players

I guess I just don't see it as an either/or situation. There's absolutely no reason getting to the final should jeopardise league position, and even if it did I'd take winning the cup and being relegated to League 1 over a humdrum season of mid-table mediocrity. Between the 3rd round and the final is only, what, 6 or 7 games? Far less than a decent European campaign anyway, and it's not as if clubs don't benefit financially either, especially if you win it and get into the Europa League. Plus it's, y'know, exciting and Cup Final day is always a good piss-up for me and my mates

< Message edited by superdan -- 3/12/2012 11:49:17 AM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4055
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 16/12/2012 8:22:17 PM   
Scott_

I know I shouldn't but I find myself starting to like El Hadji Diouf, he's been good lately and hasn't spit on anybody yet.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4056
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 17/12/2012 6:14:13 PM   
Goodfella

Cardiff and Leeds will go up in the automatic spots. Leicester in the play-off's. You heard it here first.

We never really turned up on Saturday, I had a feeling we'd lose it beforehand and by the sounds of it neither team really grew into the game but we missed a huge chance with about 20 minutes left on the clock and then we let in two easy goals. Poor, really, given how well we have done on the road up until this point.

Really don't get one thing about Powell. We have a pretty big squad at the moment and he hardly ever use any subsitutions, especially when we're struggling. Look at the statistic, we use least in the championship. Sometimes he just won't budge, and what does concern me about Saturday if it was the gameplan he was sticking too he was clearly just playing for a draw and I absolutely hate that mentality.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4057
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 17/12/2012 8:15:51 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Surely Cardiff will find a way to throw it all away in the second half of the season, it's what they do best. Isn't it?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4058
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 18/12/2012 12:52:48 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Surely Cardiff will find a way to throw it all away in the second half of the season, it's what they do best. Isn't it?

Not this season I don't think, and they don't have Dave Jones in charge anymore either.

Malky Mackay is a good manager, they will have money to spend again in January and they look the real deal this season, they're a cut above the rest and we can be very proud at Charlton to have been one of the few sides to scalp them so far.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 4059
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/12/2012 8:56:42 PM   
Goodfella

Our Leeds boys here, although I suspect both of you at ER right now, if you played like this in the championship on a regular basis, rare goalkeeping error aside, you would have walked this league some time ago.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4060
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 19/12/2012 11:32:59 PM   
Goodfella

EDIT: You have to appreciate the time of the game when I posted that....

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4061
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 20/12/2012 2:12:40 PM   
Scott_

That was your fault.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4062
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 20/12/2012 3:13:22 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Was kind of hoping that Henning Berg would resign from Blackburn after being asked to wear a party hat or whatever upset him so much at the X-mas do. With 1 win in 9, he's looking like another excellent move by Venky's

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4063
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 20/12/2012 11:49:48 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

That was your fault.

Merry fucking Christmas.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4064
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 21/12/2012 12:54:13 PM   
jonson

quote:

Was kind of hoping that Henning Berg would resign from Blackburn after being asked to wear a party hat or whatever upset him so much at the X-mas do. With 1 win in 9, he's looking like another excellent move by Venky's

I said they were wrong to get rid of Kean (or at least push until he jumped) Bunch of wankers they are at Blackburn, hope they get everything coming to them (and I don't feel sorry for the fans either, I'll never forgive them for waving wads of money at us when they won the Play-Off final thanks to Speedie's dive)

Cardiff tomorrow. We need a win, I wouldn't complain at a draw but another tough match for us, we need to get back in the pace.

Post #: 4065
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 21/12/2012 9:53:45 PM   
superdan

Good win for Wolves, rode our luck and Ikeme was superb but saw it through and that makes it 3 wins out of 4. On another note, it's no wonder Blackpool don't do as well as they'd like if they have to play on that pitch every home game.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4066
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 22/12/2012 1:09:37 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

I said they were wrong to get rid of Kean (or at least push until he jumped) Bunch of wankers they are at Blackburn, hope they get everything coming to them (and I don't feel sorry for the fans either, I'll never forgive them for waving wads of money at us when they won the Play-Off final thanks to Speedie's dive)

Cardiff tomorrow. We need a win, I wouldn't complain at a draw but another tough match for us, we need to get back in the pace.

Kean was fucking rubbish though jonson. He had all the tactics of an ostrich wandering across the motorway, I can't blame the Blackburn fans for reacting the way they have to everything going on at their football club. They're heading the same way we did, I'll put money on it now.

Sheffield Wednesday away tomorrow. As much as it pains me to say it again I think we'll go up there, play for a pre-festive season draw and end up losing.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4067
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 22/12/2012 6:06:11 PM   
dr. salvador

Top the league but only because no-one around us played today

Scored with two direct free kicks as well. That's pretty good considering most of our free kick attempts usually end up in Sheffield train station.

"Say hey Johnny boy, the battle call.
United we stand, divided we fall.
Together we are what we can't be alone,
We came to this country, you made it our home."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4068
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 24/12/2012 12:14:22 AM   
Goodfella

We had some horrible decisions go against us yesterday, Gardner completely upended Kermit in the box and looked genuinely shocked he hadn't conceded a penalty himself for it, but I'm not into blaming referees, especially when you miss the chances we did and fail to defend properly for the second straight away game.

All the hard work of the previous month and a bit thrown away in 180 minutes of football, we knew how key this festive season was going to be in the scape of things this season and it's been a dreadful start, we absolutely have to beat Ipswich on Boxing Day.

(in reply to dr. salvador)
Post #: 4069
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 26/12/2012 5:04:27 PM   
Goodfella

Absolutely shit. Powell acknowledged how much of a turkey (pun intended!) today's performance was as well and has demanded an instant response when we face Derby on Saturday. We've had three games now where we've barely turned up and undone all the hard work we had in the previous seven games, this festive season is crucial and we're two thirds of the way to blowing it. This lack of ambition just when things start looking up really does infuriate me about this football club, it dates a long way back too, I remember when we were infamous in the premiership for being one of the quickest clubs to 40 points and then one of the quickest to go into freefall afterwards. Things need to get uncomfortable for the players again over the next few days.

Stephens was greedy and awful today. Villa, your welcome to him. We want our money though, we're under no financial constraints to sell so your not going to bully us into a deal.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4070
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 27/12/2012 10:54:23 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Quelle surprise. Blackburn sack Henning Berg after 10 games. Who will be the next chicken to that slaughter?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4071
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 27/12/2012 4:21:27 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Quelle surprise. Blackburn sack Henning Berg after 10 games. Who will be the next chicken to that slaughter?

Berg was never going to be the answer with no experience of English football, same as the current problems Wolves are facing. Both clubs need someone in who at least has some experience in these very tough Football League divisions.

Post #: 4072
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 28/12/2012 11:08:32 AM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

Berg was never going to be the answer with no experience of English football, same as the current problems Wolves are facing. Both clubs need someone in who at least has some experience in these very tough Football League divisions.

Wolves' problem isn't really Solbakken, the team is generally playing better football under him and while he's been a bit unlucky with injuries the players he's brought in have been our best performers. His biggest problem is the shite players he inherited from Mick, which happily he seems eager to send over to Ipswich so he can build his own team. If he's able to do so I feel confident we'll be much better next season.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4073
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 29/12/2012 6:54:38 PM   
Goodfella

Powell called for a "killer instinct" before today's game and he got the complete opposite. Dominated proceedings by all accounts, opened the scoring with a fine solo effort and then had chance after chance after chance and didn't take any of them. Haynes, who when fit has been impressive, went off with a hamstring injury shortly after scoring and we threw another chance to BWP to see if he could cut the mustard at this level, he didn't deliver and that should be it for him now, he's in the shop window if anyone's interested?

Don't know about the penalty, only had commentary. Sounds like it might not have been but we should have been about 3-0 up at that stage so it shouldn't have mattered a great deal really.

To stablise and eventually move on at this level we have to put together more than a seven-game run.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4074
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 1/1/2013 7:01:47 PM   
Goodfella

We needed someone to step up today and take the chances today and Kermorgant was that man! I will not hide my love for the burly Frenchman, whatever jonson says! That was a big performance today and that comeback took a lot of character, on the back of probably our four worse performances of the season being 3-2 down at stylish Watford with 20-odd minutes left on the clock I had us down to be incredibly lucky just to get a point, let alone three, so this is certainly a result to cherish. One we owed our fans though after the way we succumbed to 10-man Watford at the Valley earlier in the season.

Hopefully this kicks off our New Year with something to build on and we can take it on from here and put together another good run.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4075
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 2/1/2013 3:44:08 PM   
jonson

fuck off.
You know, we never saw anything of note from him at all, the best stuff I saw was on Youtube, and he looked great, but sadly, 1 STUPID penalty he took and his career as far as I'm concerned has been tarnished. I don't bear grudges (well, I do but I stay proffessional ) I'm glad he's playing well for you and he's back from his injury, but I don't think anyone will get as much stick as he will when you come down here next month.

Anyway, enough talk about the lower end of the table.
Good result for Leicester yesterday, great to see our new signing Woods grabbing 2 goals, great to see us go for the throat and batter teams, if we can all man-up a bit when we play the more physical sides, we should be a good bet for promotion this season. That has only been our 1 fault so far this season, we are a bit lightweight when playing against bigger sides.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4076
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 2/1/2013 6:29:32 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

fuck off.
You know, we never saw anything of note from him at all, the best stuff I saw was on Youtube, and he looked great, but sadly, 1 STUPID penalty he took and his career as far as I'm concerned has been tarnished. I don't bear grudges (well, I do but I stay proffessional ) I'm glad he's playing well for you and he's back from his injury, but I don't think anyone will get as much stick as he will when you come down here next month.

Anyway, enough talk about the lower end of the table.

Happy New Year to you too!

I can appreciate that even when he moved to France on loan he only managed 3 goals in 26 games and was far from anything to write home about there which is probably how he ended up a total free agent with neither of his previous two clubs that year taking up the option to sign him, but that's what goes a way to making him another of Powell's revelation signings, along with Ben Hamer and Bradley Pritchard, taking players from nothing and turning them into more than something. The partnership of Fuller and Kermorgant is one I want to see more of this season now they're both fully fit, getting Haynes completely healthy too to make up this trio could make a dangerous contender going into the back-end of the season though.

Oh you don't want to talk about the bottom half, now? That's pretty rich (operative word there) coming from a Leicester fan. How much has your club spent in the last two years to get back up to the top flight? Back up to 5th now but will you actually hold onto it this time? Also just remember your fans gave him a thoroughly torrid time at the Valley back in August and it inspired him into the best player on the park by far that day, you and I both know this guy has been through a lot more adversity than just what the football field throws his way so your lot might not to want to tempt fate again!

Good to see you boys hammer Huddersfield yesterday though, helped us out. Woods? Is that the kid from Millwall? I hear very good things about him.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4077
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 3/1/2013 7:50:21 AM   
jonson

ooh, I can see my jibe about the bottom half got you going a bit there didn't it?

To be fair, we have spent enough money to expect promtion, but not as much as idiots like Warnock keeps saying. I think really, we've spent 3 million on Jermaine Beckford which was way to much, way overpriced and really, I think it was a signature signing, something the owners wanted to do to show off a bit, and it's backfired (ie he's shit, uninterested and arrogant)
5 million on Matt Mills (Really? well done to his agent there) 1 million on Lee Peltier, 1 million on Jamie Vardy - the amount of money we've spent on rubbish who don't play now is ridiculous. Schmeichel for 1.5m was worth it, I'm guessing we pay Konchesky good money, and Nugent, both worth it. Wes Morgan was a bargain for 1.5m. Danny Drinkwater, good player, good price. Anthony Knockeart, just under 2 million, now Arsenal want him for 5 million (he is very good though, hope we can keep him)
Yeah, thinking about it, we have spent a lot

And yes, I remember our fans giving Kermit a torrid time, and it inspiring him, but we'll take that risk again in February, don't worry about that.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4078
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 3/1/2013 3:41:55 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ooh, I can see my jibe about the bottom half got you going a bit there didn't it?

To be fair, we have spent enough money to expect promtion, but not as much as idiots like Warnock keeps saying. I think really, we've spent 3 million on Jermaine Beckford which was way to much, way overpriced and really, I think it was a signature signing, something the owners wanted to do to show off a bit, and it's backfired (ie he's shit, uninterested and arrogant)
5 million on Matt Mills (Really? well done to his agent there) 1 million on Lee Peltier, 1 million on Jamie Vardy - the amount of money we've spent on rubbish who don't play now is ridiculous. Schmeichel for 1.5m was worth it, I'm guessing we pay Konchesky good money, and Nugent, both worth it. Wes Morgan was a bargain for 1.5m. Danny Drinkwater, good player, good price. Anthony Knockeart, just under 2 million, now Arsenal want him for 5 million (he is very good though, hope we can keep him)
Yeah, thinking about it, we have spent a lot

And yes, I remember our fans giving Kermit a torrid time, and it inspiring him, but we'll take that risk again in February, don't worry about that.

Nope, I love a good bit of banter and I'll let you do most of the talking now since we'll be shutting you up in February, much like we did back in August!

We've spent next to nothing in the summer, Ricardo Fuller is probably our highest-paid player or close too and that's where any of our money went over the summer, outside of that we signed free agents like Dorian Dervite and players like Rob Hulse on loan with a view to a permenant deal, which is why we should be very happy with a current positon of 15th with 20 games left to go, especially when you look at the size of the clubs and the cash they're weilding beneath us in the league. I still think the best of our season is yet to come as well, we've shown splashes of real quality and in other games we've looked like a League Two side, I think we'll still have another good run and who knows? But if we finish around 12th I'll be very pleased.

Huddersfield at home in the cup on Saturday. A game both teams will do their level best to avoid a replay in whilst I think both will do their level best to avoid winning convincingly, being newly-promoted teams the league is the only real priority for either of these clubs and after a busy festive period I don't see either manager not resting key players, and we should, we've got some young guys like Callum Harriot, Jordan Cook and Michael Smith who I would like to see us give starts too.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4079
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 5/1/2013 8:32:02 PM   
Goodfella

Not going to go back on my earlier comments, I'm glad in some respects to be out of the cup as it heralds little to nothing for us, we haven't had anything close to a successful run in years (we've made the quarter-finals twice since my birth 25 years ago!) and most Charlton fans have just given up on these weekends but there's going out and then there's what we did today.

It. Was. Fucking. Dreadful. Most of my friends left around 70 minutes and everyone paid 15 a head to stand there on a freezing cold January afternoon and watch a team who failed to register a single shot on target until the 57th minute and crumble in such a humiliating fashion that Huddersfield could have played well on into the night and still not been at risk of conceding a goal, we actually put a pretty strong team out there only really resting Ben Hamer and Michael Morrison with the rest of our team continuing to rotate anyway. Powell ripped into the team post-match which was refreshing to see I must say, I think he knew they'd really let the fans down today, our home form this season has left a lot to be desired and with this game an extra charge for most regular fans at the start of the difficult, penny-stretching New Year that was nowhere close to acceptable. I think a few players (BWP take note) will be worried about more than just their place in the team next week, but rather if they have a future at the club beyond the end of this month.

We could have at least tried to go out semi-gracefully. Dervite has annoyed me too, he's been a very good signing for us this season and now we've lost him for one or two games, of which of course they will be league games!

A response, no, rather, a win is now expected against Blackpool next weekend.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4080
Page:   <<   < prev  134 135 [136] 137 138   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  134 135 [136] 137 138   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI